OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Generals trade:
  • Dylan Robinson
Generals receive:
  • 2nd Round Selection 2020
  • 2nd Round Selection 2023
  • 3rd Round 2023

Wow. I guess based on the Maggio trade, this makes some sense. I hope his injury issues from last year are not a concern an any way.

Assuming he will play LW and Tolnai plays centre, I'd think he'd line up beside Tolnai on the 3rd line. If that is the case, we project to have a young 3rd line this season. I'm not sure how that plays into the narative of centending. I think it aligns more with being consistently good.

This move sort of points to the team not contending or at least not agressively contending.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Same as Maggio which expected and I guess the extra pick as there probably was another team also interested
Sellers market this early

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The 3rd rounder is conditional. Since the picks is slated to be after his OA year, I’d assume it is based on him playing an OA season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Revised Lineup with recent trades:

Keating (OA) - Rossi - ???
??? - Hoelscher - Quinn
Robinson - Tolnai - Clarke
Beck/Johnston - Crete - Sirizzotti

Hoefenmeyer (OA) - Bahl
Okhotyuk - Peric
Rippon - Belanger
Matier

Andree
Cranley

I know this isn’t what most would call “accurate” but if I am being realistic and am trying to provide some regular season balance while not throwing players into situations they simply are not fully prepared for, I would call this lineup a strong foundation.

I shifted Quinn and Clarke down one slot on RW. There are two reasons. First, if we acquire an Overage player, it will more than likely be an impact winger. The impact winger should probably be playing first line minutes with he #1 centre. Hoelscher will get a lot more “shadow duty” so having that OA playing in a more full out offensive role will probably be best. Second, I think Tolnai needs a somewhat experienced winger that can score some goals especially if Robinson (or another rookie) ends up on his left side.

I think the 2nd line LW hole speaks for itself. Our existing wingers (outside Quinn and Clark) are either very green or are true rookies. Thrusting any of them into that role is probably not advisable.

On defence, I broke up the predicted 2nd pair of Okhotyuk and Rippon. In my opinion but breaking them up, you set up a situation where the 2nd and 3rd pairings will roll out on cycle 5 on 5. Hoefenmeyer and Bahl will clearly get the lions share of minutes but they’d get those minutes regardless of who’s on the next pairings.

In the likelihood Peric is traded, we’d see the second pairing become Okhotyuk and Rippon with Belanger and Matier as the 3rd pairing. In that situation, you probably would shelter Belanger and Matier by not having them taking defensive zone faceoffs.

We also see no spot for Wilson. I’m not knocking Wilson but with the depth on the blueline combined with the need for forwards, we’ll probably see that as a potential deal. We probably won’t see that at the beginning of the season but we should see it at some point. If I am wrong and PEric is the only player shipped out, we’ll probably see Wilson and Belanger as the 3rd pairing and Matier taking the 7th spot in the press box. I’d be just fine with that to be perfectly honest, provided we still manage to find two top 6 wingers.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Much better player when healthy then Maggio could be

I think if you look at overall potential, you are probably right. If you look solely at OHL production, I am not sure one has a significant advantage over the other.

Both were very highly rated going into the draft. Robinson’s size may win out overall.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

??? - Hoelscher - Quinn

Hoefenmeyer (OA) - Bahl
Okhotyuk - Peric
Rippon - Belanger
Matier

Andree
Cranley

I know this isn’t what most would call “accurate” but if I am being realistic and am trying to provide some regular season balance while not throwing players into situations they simply are not fully prepared for, I would call this lineup a strong foundation.

I shifted Quinn and Clarke down one slot on RW. There are two reasons. First, if we acquire an Overage player, it will more than likely be an impact winger. The impact winger should probably be playing first line minutes with he #1 centre. Hoelscher will get a lot more “shadow duty” so having that OA playing in a more full out offensive role will probably be best. Second, I think Tolnai needs a somewhat experienced winger that can score some goals especially if Robinson (or another rookie) ends up on his left side.

I think the 2nd line LW hole speaks for itself. Our existing wingers (outside Quinn and Clark) are either very green or are true rookies. Thrusting any of them into that role is probably not advisable.

On defence, I broke up the predicted 2nd pair of Okhotyuk and Rippon. In my opinion but breaking them up, you set up a situation where the 2nd and 3rd pairings will roll out on cycle 5 on 5. Hoefenmeyer and Bahl will clearly get the lions share of minutes but they’d get those minutes regardless of who’s on the next pairings.

In the likelihood Peric is traded, we’d see the second pairing become Okhotyuk and Rippon with Belanger and Matier as the 3rd pairing. In that situation, you probably would shelter Belanger and Matier by not having them taking defensive zone faceoffs.

We also see no spot for Wilson. I’m not knocking Wilson but with the depth on the blueline combined with the need for forwards, we’ll probably see that as a potential deal. We probably won’t see that at the beginning of the season but we should see it at some point. If I am wrong and PEric is the only player shipped out, we’ll probably see Wilson and Belanger as the 3rd pairing and Matier taking the 7th spot in the press box. I’d be just fine with that to be perfectly honest, provided we still manage to find two top 6 wingers.

What do you think the pick value of Wilson and Hoefenmeyer are? Obviously different types of players; but, are either top pairing material?

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
What do you think the pick value of Wilson and Hoefenmeyer are? Obviously different types of players; but, are either top pairing material?

To me, Hoef is in the range of 2 x 2nd rounders + 3rd (what the 67's just paid for Dylan Robinson) and for Wilson, it might be more like a 3rd or 4th. Wilson is one of those quiet, tough, dependable leaders that teams love to have. It's tough trading either one as they are both coming into their fifth year on the 67's but with the team's defensive depth something is going to have to give.

Reactions: dirty12

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

??? - Hoelscher - Quinn

Hoefenmeyer (OA) - Bahl
Okhotyuk - Peric
Rippon - Belanger
Matier

Andree
Cranley

I have to think that Quinn Yule has a role on this young team. He might even be a 4th liner but would provide that unit with some much needed experience and toughness.

Reactions: Puck Stopper 1975

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
To me, Hoef is in the range of 2 x 2nd rounders + 3rd (what the 67's just paid for Dylan Robinson) and for Wilson, it might be more like a 3rd or 4th. Wilson is one of those quiet, tough, dependable leaders that teams love to have. It's tough trading either one as they are both coming into their fifth year on the 67's but with the team's defensive depth something is going to have to give.
some will likely disagree, but in a lot of ways Wilson is more valuable on this team, provides much needed physical element and that dependable leadership thing, very important when developing young players.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have to think that Quinn Yule has a role on this young team. He might even be a 4th liner but would provide that unit with some much needed experience and toughness.

I seriously think the acquisition of Robinson means he’s out unless he can hold down the 2nd line LW spot. It makes no sense to drill him down to the 4th line LW with two highly touted 16 year olds possibly capable of sharing that spot.

We’ll see how he comes out of the gate in the pre-season. I hope he does find a step and is able to contribute on that line but I have my doubts. His size would be very welcome, that is for certain.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I have always thought the Yule was going to be traded to maybe a bottom team for a third round pick, and Peric will get us a player and a pick

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

??? - Hoelscher - Quinn

Hoefenmeyer (OA) - Bahl
Okhotyuk - Peric
Rippon - Belanger
Matier

Andree
Cranley
OMG

I read your logic and it makes sense the only thing I would suggest is that we deal with the here and now.

I see Clarke starting the season on the first pairing. I am sure that the NHL and the scouts and people have explained and will at camp again explain what he is missing. As this is his last year to show something to the Devils I see him being strong this year.
I see Robinson and Beck having a fight for the LW side of things. Robinson should have a better chance but you never know I see Sirzotti starting on the Tolnai line. leaving a hole on the 4th line which could be even bigger depending on Peric and what they get for him.
Also if they trade Peric I see Sawyer possibly getting a chance for the 4th rookie card.

Keating (OA) - Rossi - Clarke
Robinson - Hoelscher -Quinn
Beck- Tolnai -Sirizzotti
Johnston - Crete -

If we get a player for Peric then I am guessing as much as I would like it to be a power forward that it will be someone that would fit on the 2nd line or maybe the third with a year left
That would mean that we can then shift people around.
Also splitting Bahl and Hoef up as a pairing would not be a bad thing.

We could then Ice 3 defence pairings that have one of them on the ice

Hoef Rippon
Hoef bahl
bahl Okytuk
Belanger Matier

We do need some extra players the question is who will be available?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG

I read your logic and it makes sense the only thing I would suggest is that we deal with the here and now.

I see Clarke starting the season on the first pairing. I am sure that the NHL and the scouts and people have explained and will at camp again explain what he is missing. As this is his last year to show something to the Devils I see him being strong this year.
I see Robinson and Beck having a fight for the LW side of things. Robinson should have a better chance but you never know I see Sirzotti starting on the Tolnai line. leaving a hole on the 4th line which could be even bigger depending on Peric and what they get for him.
Also if they trade Peric I see Sawyer possibly getting a chance for the 4th rookie card.

Keating (OA) - Rossi - Clarke
Robinson - Hoelscher -Quinn
Beck- Tolnai -Sirizzotti
Johnston - Crete -

If we get a player for Peric then I am guessing as much as I would like it to be a power forward that it will be someone that would fit on the 2nd line or maybe the third with a year left
That would mean that we can then shift people around.
Also splitting Bahl and Hoef up as a pairing would not be a bad thing.

We could then Ice 3 defence pairings that have one of them on the ice

Hoef Rippon
Hoef bahl
bahl Okytuk
Belanger Matier

We do need some extra players the question is who will be available?

At this stage, anything is possible. Players do make leaps. My only issue with Clarke is his foundation skill set and the fact he doesn’t seem to see the ice well. Those are usually issues that don’t develop over a summer. At risk of sounding crass, I think Clarke is a stupid player. He can trigger goals when he’s in scoring areas but he lacks the sense to develop his own scoring chances or those for his line mates.

I can’t see Hoef and Bahl not playing together. They are head and shoulders your top 2 D-Men. I could see them spreading the wealth if the defence were lacking in depth but we aren’t. They will probably play together and each log over 25 minutes per game.

You are right about the here and now. I am just projecting out at how I see this roster puzzle piece together. That said, if we don’t manage to bring in any bodies between now and the start of the season, I’d rather see Tolnai beside Hoelscher and put Robinson back to 3rd centre. HE was a centre in Bantam. It’s possible he even wants to develop as a centre which is why he wanted out of Oshawa. Who knows.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Is it odd that there is absolutely no news on training camp? Does it start tomorrow?

Wondering if they are holding off putting out the roster because they are still working on deals?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG Agreed

Barberpole camp does not usually open until wednesday. As to a list, there is one on the OHL site although it does not list those that may attend with an outside shot.

I see this team pretty well set between returning players and draft picks there are a couple of holes that need filling but they are going tobe either filled in trades or they are going to be 4th line fillers and people that have already been drafted before this year.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Camp opens tomorrow with physicals.
Two scrimmages Tuesday.
4 on 4 tournament Wednesday.
All at Ottawa U

Exhibition vs Gatineau Thursday at 7 at CIH Academy in Rockland.

Exhibition vs Sudbury Sunday at 4 at Kanata Rec Centre

Exhibition vs Kingston Monday at 2 at Cornwall Civic Centre

They also have 2 away exhibition games at Gatineau and Kingston

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
I just looked at the training camp roster wow this team is made up of a lot of small players
Not sure it is a team that can win battles along the boards.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I just looked at the training camp roster wow this team is made up of a lot of small players
Not sure it is a team that can win battles along the boards.

What roster? The preseason roster on the OHL/Team websites? That just lists the signed players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad