Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Who has a better roster right now in the East? The team still has a loaded cupboard to make upgrades. Why are we giving up on the season before an exhibition game is played?

I should also add I am not against them pushing hard this year. If at the deadline they feel they are in the hunt then so be it. My issue is they didn't have the stomach to trade bodies, only picks. Many deals are not available to them doing that. They got away with it last year because of a combination of not reporting players that may be open to the different organization and them trading for overage players that typically get traded for picks, not players.

This season they'd need to fill holes with non-OA player. If you want an elite player, you have to trade a real body. With Maggio and Bitten gone and potentially Peric gone, it thins out our stable of players we can potentially move.

I fear we'd seriously have to consider using Matier in a deal. If we aren't at least open to that option, it may be tough to get the players we need.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Setting yourself up to win a round in the playoffs this year, potentially bid to host a Memorial Cup next year isn't giving up. If we push in this year, we most certainly give up next year though.

Oshawa did it last year and won two playoff rounds. It isn't throwing in the towel, it would be recognizing true potential and managing assets in a way that maximizes their total worth.

If the plan is for a Mem Cup bid next year, trade almost everybody that won’t be back next year but be clear and transparent about your plan with the fans unlike Eugene and the Sens.

There don’t seem to be as many potential buyers in the Eastern conference. Sudbury and the Petes maybe, but they both have glaring holes bigger than we have. Oshawa looks good but will the owner go “all in” this year when his son is 17 and has two more years of eligibility? Will they take a shot at a bid themselves?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the plan is for a Mem Cup bid next year, trade almost everybody that won’t be back next year but be clear and transparent about your plan with the fans unlike Eugene and the Sens.

There don’t seem to be as many potential buyers in the Eastern conference. Sudbury and the Petes maybe, but they both have glaring holes bigger than we have. Oshawa looks good but will the owner go “all in” this year when his son is 17 and has two more years of eligibility? Will they take a shot at a bid themselves?

I'm not sure about the West or which teams are likely to pursue a Championship in the East but I will say Ottawa is positioned well to come out of the East based on current rosters.

The problem will always be "that team" that blows its brains out at the deadline and is in all or nothing mode with no regard for the following season. That was Guelph last year. Will a team in the West be that agressive again this year?

This why I only point to possible holes on this team compared to other championship calibre teams in the past. If we make a correlation between those past teams and this team, I see us short:
1st line RW
2nd line LW
2nd line RW
2nd scoring option from the back end (two if Hoef doesn't return)

Those all premium positions. We may see Clarke claim one of that RW spot. We may see Yule claim the LW spot. Who knows. I don't project them to but I could be proven wrong.

I'd like to see Rippon and Okhotyuk on opposite pairings with Belanger and another scoring type D-Man on the other but That could be Peric if he stays.

So, as ETA says, we may have internal options that step forward. But, we may also not have that. It could also be worse that I project as well. What if Tolnai doesn't look good? What if we suffer a major injury? What if Andree was a flash in the pan last year and we don't have solid goaltending?

There are still loads of variables.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
First pre-season game tonight

Ottawa 67’s vs. Gatineau Olympiques
Thursday, August 29th @ 7:00pm
CIH Arena, Rockland

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

You would expect Oshawa to get a goalie and go for it, but given their GM's bizarre and ineffective series of trades last season, it's hard to say. Their best 5 players all graduate after this season and their 2001 class is probably the weakest in the league. Building for the future is difficult when you punt a draft class that badly.

I think that they can push the 67's with a good goalie, but if they waffle again and waste another year then I think Ottawa is the clear favourite in the East. You have the elite players, the depth, and the resources to make key additions. I expect another season over 90 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
EDK7ep3W4AE7N-A.jpg:large

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
We’re still without a goal heading into the third. OTT 0 | GAT 0

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
We’re still without a goal heading into the third.

shots on goal

Gat 12 5 17
Ott 9 5 14

Andree in net, only 2 pens both to Ott in 1st

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Was at the exhibition game tonight. Biggest takeaway: not a fan of the new jerseys.

I was impressed by Beck and Sawyer. Andree was solid. Keating/Rossi/Clarke line was good too. Other than that, didn't see much.

For someone who allegedly wants more ice time, Peric didn't make much of a case. I've never really been a fan of Yule, and that still hasn't changed.

Only two forwards sat out tonight, Dick and Robinson, so what we saw is what we got. Definitely going to need some veteran forwards brought in.

Hoff, Rippon, Bahl and Okhotyuk did not play, as well.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Was Robinson scratched for any reason tonight or was he just the odd man out? I'm really interested to see how he pans out for you guys if hes healthy, so ill probably be lurking here throughout the season to see how he's doing.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
With Killer as an advisor to Boyd I will suggest that this team is not going to go for it this year. Killer and Hunt will want to wait and see how this team develops and Boyd will do the same. I look for this team as is to be a force in the East but not geared to winning the Cup.

They will make the necessary trades to fill holes and that is about it.

I would not trade a lot of players as this team is still competitive.

Peric is gone both in his mind and his emotion the sooner he leaves the better.

I will be more interested to see how this team does next week when a lot of the players will be gone.

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Aside from being the coaches son’s are they actually worthy of being on the team?
I have never seen the goalie son play and only seen the forward son play sparingly

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You would expect Oshawa to get a goalie and go for it, but given their GM's bizarre and ineffective series of trades last season, it's hard to say. Their best 5 players all graduate after this season and their 2001 class is probably the weakest in the league. Building for the future is difficult when you punt a draft class that badly.

I think that they can push the 67's with a good goalie, but if they waffle again and waste another year then I think Ottawa is the clear favourite in the East. You have the elite players, the depth, and the resources to make key additions. I expect another season over 90 points.

Agree and disagree.
Hunt did a masterful job leading up to the trade deadline, imo. Moving out Wong, Studnicka, Brassard, Commissio for Neumann, Moore, Maatinen, Saigeon while retaining similar picks was impressive.
Like you say, the Gens 2001 group is probably the worst in the league; building a memorial cup bid will be a challenge. They will have excellent OA, a few high end ‘02s and picks. Though those picks are distant. Selling teams will prefer 2020-21 2nds much more than 2023-24 2nds. Compounding matters could be the ‘67s wanting to bid as well. Two of the top four teams in the east pushing assets forward? It could end up being more of a buyers market than last year.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Aside from being the coaches son’s are they actually worthy of being on the team?
I have never seen the goalie son play and only seen the forward son play sparingly
JP Tourigny is a solid Jr. A goalie. Since we don’t have any other signed goalies, he is our #3 who can step in when necessary. Better than having to waste assets to trade for a third goalie in case of a short-term injury (or flu bug, etc.) to Andree or Cranley. In any case, it would be unlikely for him to see much action. He would simply be the emergency back-up (like he was last year to Andree when Cranley was away at U17).

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
First exhibition game. Tough to use that as a measuring stick.

The one thing we did see is there are zero surprises with respect to the roster. No one new other than the signed rookies and Robinson.

We have these three early games then a long break before the last two games prior to the start of the season. We won't see much. Players will probably be at NHL camps for the final two games and these first three will be awkward. We'll have to see where we are starting around game 3 or 4 of the regular season.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
Was at the exhibition game tonight. Biggest takeaway: not a fan of the new jerseys.

I was impressed by Beck and Sawyer. Andree was solid. Keating/Rossi/Clarke line was good too. Other than that, didn't see much.

For someone who allegedly wants more ice time, Peric didn't make much of a case. I've never really been a fan of Yule, and that still hasn't changed.

Only two forwards sat out tonight, Dick and Robinson, so what we saw is what we got. Definitely going to need some veteran forwards brought in.

Hoff, Rippon, Bahl and Okhotyuk did not play, as well.

Last edited:

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Interesting takeaway... team wins 1-0 and apparently in your mind 5 defencemen did not play well. Deep breath, it was the first preseason game.

My impressions were based on being the first preseason game. 7 67 rookies up against 8 Olympique rookies. Bad choice of words. Beck and Sawyer caught my eye. Peric and Yule, for veterans playing against a young team were not very good. The rest were okay.

1-0 game. Andree was good as I pointed out. Gatineau at times seemed to get around our defense but had a lot of missed shots and fumbled passes.

OHLoutsider2020, wondering if you were there and what your impressions were... Or did you just join today to throw shade at me.

Also interesting to note that Creed Jones (former 67's midget draftee) played the entire game in nets for Gatineau. He looked really good. Clarke beat him on a great play/shot.

OHLoutsider2020

Aug 30, 2019
My impressions were based on being the first preseason game. 7 67 rookies up against 8 Olympique rookies. Bad choice of words. Beck and Sawyer caught my eye. Peric and Yule, for veterans playing against a young team were not very good. The rest were okay.

1-0 game. Andree was good as I pointed out. Gatineau at times seemed to get around our defense but had a lot of missed shots and fumbled passes.

OHLoutsider2020, wondering if you were there and what your impressions were... Or did you just join today to throw shade at me.

Also interesting to note that Creed Jones (former 67's midget draftee) played the entire game in nets for Gatineau. He looked really good. Clarke beat him on a great play/shot.
To be honest I misread your post.
I can see some moves coming soon with a couple of the names you mentioned.
Excited to watch the 67's and a bunch of other teams as there is some very good young talent entering this league.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Agree and disagree.
Hunt did a masterful job leading up to the trade deadline, imo. Moving out Wong, Studnicka, Brassard, Commissio for Neumann, Moore, Maatinen, Saigeon while retaining similar picks was impressive.
Like you say, the Gens 2001 group is probably the worst in the league; building a memorial cup bid will be a challenge. They will have excellent OA, a few high end ‘02s and picks. Though those picks are distant. Selling teams will prefer 2020-21 2nds much more than 2023-24 2nds. Compounding matters could be the ‘67s wanting to bid as well. Two of the top four teams in the east pushing assets forward? It could end up being more of a buyers market than last year.

My quarrel wasn't exactly with the value of the moves, but the lack of direction. They sold their best player and then sunk all of the resources into a team that I thought (and was right) wasn't even close to good enough to beat Ottawa.

I agree that both teams are setting up for a Mem Cup bid and that the 67's are in a better position. I was shocked when they didn't put forward a more serious effort in trades last season. There must be a reason.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
My quarrel wasn't exactly with the value of the moves, but the lack of direction. They sold their best player and then sunk all of the resources into a team that I thought (and was right) wasn't even close to good enough to beat Ottawa.

I agree that both teams are setting up for a Mem Cup bid and that the 67's are in a better position. I was shocked when they didn't put forward a more serious effort in trades last season. There must be a reason.

After predicting Oshawa to lose to Peterborough and Niagara, you were finally right in your Ottawa prediction. 1/3....congrats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad