Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
My quarrel wasn't exactly with the value of the moves, but the lack of direction. They sold their best player and then sunk all of the resources into a team that I thought (and was right) wasn't even close to good enough to beat Ottawa.

I agree that both teams are setting up for a Mem Cup bid and that the 67's are in a better position. I was shocked when they didn't put forward a more serious effort in trades last season. There must be a reason.

You accidentally left out the part where you thought (and were wrong) that they'd get swept by Niagara, because and I quote, "there's no way a team who's as slow as Oshawa can even win 1 game against Niagara".

Last edited by a moderator:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Agree and disagree.
Hunt did a masterful job leading up to the trade deadline, imo. Moving out Wong, Studnicka, Brassard, Commissio for Neumann, Moore, Maatinen, Saigeon while retaining similar picks was impressive.
Like you say, the Gens 2001 group is probably the worst in the league; building a memorial cup bid will be a challenge. They will have excellent OA, a few high end ‘02s and picks. Though those picks are distant. Selling teams will prefer 2020-21 2nds much more than 2023-24 2nds. Compounding matters could be the ‘67s wanting to bid as well. Two of the top four teams in the east pushing assets forward? It could end up being more of a buyers market than last year.

The Gens have the most 2nds in the league and only one is in the coming draft. They use those picks to go get Tomasino and Perfetti (or whichever stars are available), now how's their core.... It's junior hockey. Teams drastically change in 24 hours, let alone in the next year and a half lol. They're making all their moves (last years deadline is a perfect example) to make the team and facilities (all the Renos this off-season) for a 2021 Mem Cup. The roster will be elite next year if they get the Mem Cup. It's not a coincidence all the high picks they have are for years that can be traded next year....

Last edited by a moderator:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Gens have the most 2nds in the league and only one is in the coming draft. They use those picks to go get Tomasino and Perfetti (or whichever stars are available), now how's their core.... It's junior hockey. Teams drastically change in 24 hours, let alone in the next year and a half lol. They're making all their moves (last years deadline is a perfect example) to make the team and facilities (all the Renos this off-season) for a 2021 Mem Cup. The roster will be elite next year if they get the Mem Cup. It's not a coincidence all the high picks they have are for years that can be traded next year....

100%

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Do you think ottawa is doing the same thing or do you think they’re more likely to go in this year?

And Saginaw? No doubt it’s the year for Barrie. London & Flint are already absolutely loaded. Some teams will having an easier ride than normal this year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Do you think ottawa is doing the same thing or do you think they’re more likely to go in this year?

I will better answer that in 6 weeks. My gut says they are going to at least dip their the in the water to contend this year.

They need to do a lot to the building to host.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Cost is the big thing for scotiabank place. TD is free as OSEG owns it also not sure if they can get that many people to make the Scotia look good.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who is left on the team I assume that all the cuts have been made except for a few fillers.

Any surprises?

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
Who is left on the team I assume that all the cuts have been made except for a few fillers.

Any surprises?
As far as I can tell, they’re keeping virtually all the signed players and then some....for now. We’ll be losing a ton of players to NHL camps and need the bodies to ice a team when the season starts. Once everyone returns, we’ll likely see some cuts and likely a trade or two.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Do we know where everyone is going? I know the drafted players will go to their teams but I am looking at Keating Hoef and those that are not drafted

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hey guys, Sudbury vs 67s. Would you guys mind providing a bit of information on how some Sudbury players looked tonight after the game? It’d be really appreciated by the Sudbury fans. Thanks!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As far as I can tell, they’re keeping virtually all the signed players and then some....for now. We’ll be losing a ton of players to NHL camps and need the bodies to ice a team when the season starts. Once everyone returns, we’ll likely see some cuts and likely a trade or two.

I don’t think there are any players at risk of not being back by the start of the regular season other than maybe Hoefenmeyer if there is an AHL team that wants him and he wants the opportunity. None of the 19 year olds are in a position to really challenge for serious exhibition game time in the NHL.

We’ll keep the extra players, as you said, but only for our own preseason slate.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
Why would Saginaw move Perfetti? They should contend.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Why would Saginaw move Perfetti? They should contend.

He's referring to next year, if the Gens hold off to make a Mem Cup hosting run. Saginaw will likely be major buyers and contenders this year and may want to recoup some major assets for him if he's sent back to the O.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He's referring to next year, if the Gens hold off to make a Mem Cup hosting run. Saginaw will likely be major buyers and contenders this year and may want to recoup some major assets for him if he's sent back to the O.

It could also have been agreed upon at the time of his signing with Saginaw. It was heavily rumoured he wanted to go to Oshawa at the draft and wouldn’t sign anywhere else.

This would be similar to a deal Kilrea made with Michael Latta in his draft year. Latta signed with Ottawa on the agreement that if his family requested a deal close to home it would be granted. He was traded to Guelph after a season.

Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG, It might also be a case of Keating getting a look although I do think it is a long shot.

Hoef is trying out with Carolina they have a couple of holes to fill but a lot of returning players returning

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
67`s beat Sudbury 8-2 tonight.

Hoefenmayer 3a
Beck 1g 2a
Rossi 2g 2a
G. Clarke 2g 1a

1ST 1:53
#92 Graeme Clarke (2) scores. Assists: #23 Marco Rossi
1ST 3:58
#92 Graeme Clarke (3) scores. Assists: #20 Felix-Antoine Tourigny
1ST 6:30
#23 Marco Rossi (1) scores. Assists: #92 Graeme Clarke, #19 Jack Beck Game Winning
2ND 10:39
#23 Marco Rossi (2) scores. Assists: #19 Jack Beck, #2 Noel Hoefenmayer Insurance Goal
2ND 11:57
#10 Cameron Tolnai (1) scores. Assists: #2 Noel Hoefenmayer, #16 Thomas Johnston
2ND 12:50
#19 Jack Beck (1) scores. Assists: #23 Marco Rossi, #26 Alec Belanger
3RD 2:18
#17 Mitchell Hoelscher (1) scores. Assists: #27 Jack Matier, #8 Brenden Sirizzotti
3RD 5:04
#22 Jack Quinn (1) scores. Assists: #2 Noel Hoefenmayer

Tourigny, Jean-Philippe
260:003129
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
All three of the 16 year old forwards in Beck, Johnston and Sirrizzoti, the D Matier along with Tolnai and Belanger all recorded at least a point.

In this interview, https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200-1.1356485 GM James Boyd mentioned how happy he is about the past draft and also acknowledged the obvious that something is going to have to give on the Defensive side.

mag1600

Jun 15, 2012
Just wondering how Sault Ste. Marie native Jack Matier has been playing so far as a 16-year old?

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

I just can’t see Ottawa not “going for it” both years quite frankly? They have a strong team based off their drafting which leaves them with a fairly full cupboard of assets to use as trading chips. Last year they were “outdone” only by a Guelph team that was quite frankly on a “kamikaze” mission and willing to starve for several seasons for one all in push. Most teams would not have done what Guelph chose to do in my opinion?

As for London being loaded.... the “D” is awfully green and we will have to invest heavily or wait for them to mature for a season. I don’t see the Knights as a slam dunk quite frankly? Junior hockey truly is the best!

Reactions: HockeyPops

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I just can’t see Ottawa not “going for it” both years quite frankly? They have a strong team based off their drafting which leaves them with a fairly full cupboard of assets to use as trading chips. Last year they were “outdone” only by a Guelph team that was quite frankly on a “kamikaze” mission and willing to starve for several seasons for one all in push. Most teams would not have done what Guelph chose to do in my opinion?

As for London being loaded.... the “D” is awfully green and we will have to invest heavily or wait for them to mature for a season. I don’t see the Knights as a slam dunk quite frankly? Junior hockey truly is the best!

A contender this year AND next? WOW.

Robinson-Rossi-Clarke
Beck-Tolnai-Quinn
Johnston-Crete-Sirizzotti
???-???-???

Rippon (OA) - Belanger
Sawyer - Matier
Gill - Costantini

Andree (OA)
Cranley

Assuming we don’t trade any of these bodies this year, I would think this is the foundation of a lineup next year. That defence is green A/F. There is room for an OA D-Man. We’ll have an Import position open. No guarantee Rossi returns but I doubt he will be NHL bound. If he is, it opens another spot for an Import so there’s a possible trade available there.

It is a good foundation but there is a lot of youth there. If they go deep this year, they’d get a lot of great experience though.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
EDejJIGXkAESO2o.jpg:small

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad