Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The more I think about it, this year is the year. We're set in goal, have a stellar defense and a top stud in Rossi to anchor the offense. Keating is gonna get us 90 pts or so. Quinn and Hoelscher will give us more...watch out for Quinn! I know some are not a big fan of Clarke but he can score. I saw some encouraging signs in his game last year and the kid wants to improve, I think people will be surprised at the growth of his game outside of goal scoring. So if we're gonna do it we need to get three forwards ideally with some size. Our assets are Wilson (so we can get an OA forward), Peric and quite a few draft pics 6 seconds, 6 thirds, 6 fourths...approximatly). It should be enough and I agree with OMG if Matier has to go so be it although I don't think we'll need to trade him as I suspect its gonna be a buyers' market because of the M-cup next year. Which is my point it is likely less teams will go all out this year if rumours of Oshawa waiting for next year are true. There is also no team out there that imo are a juggernaut. I see Saginaw, London as always, Kitchener...maybe in the west making a push. In the east if Oshawa is out I only see the Petes and Wolves maybe going for it but neither of those teams worry me if we load up. Imo the road is way easier this year than next. Lets do it. Next year trade Rossi, Clarke, Quinn and recoup the picks. We're still left with a good core of Tolnai, Robinson, Beck, Siri,Johnston, Matier, Belanger, Sawyer, Matier and Gill. A year later we'll be pretty good again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The more I think about it, this year is the year. We're set in goal, have a stellar defense and a top stud in Rossi to anchor the offense. Keating is gonna get us 90 pts or so. Quinn and Hoelscher will give us more...watch out for Quinn! I know some are not a big fan of Clarke but he can score. I saw some encouraging signs in his game last year and the kid wants to improve, I think people will be surprised at the growth of his game outside of goal scoring. So if we're gonna do it we need to get three forwards ideally with some size. Our assets are Wilson (so we can get an OA forward), Peric and quite a few draft pics 6 seconds, 6 thirds, 6 fourths...approximatly). It should be enough and I agree with OMG if Matier has to go so be it although I don't think we'll need to trade him as I suspect its gonna be a buyers' market because of the M-cup next year. Which is my point it is likely less teams will go all out this year if rumours of Oshawa waiting for next year are true. There is also no team out there that imo are a juggernaut. I see Saginaw, London as always, Kitchener...maybe in the west making a push. In the east if Oshawa is out I only see the Petes and Wolves maybe going for it but neither of those teams worry me if we load up. Imo the road is way easier this year than next. Lets do it. Next year trade Rossi, Clarke, Quinn and recoup the picks. We're still left with a good core of Tolnai, Robinson, Beck, Siri,Johnston, Matier, Belanger, Sawyer, Matier and Gill. A year later we'll be pretty good again.

If you want an elite player, you have to pick a painful player to trade. If it isn’t Matier, maybe it’s Belanger, Robinson or Tolnai. But, it has to be someone.

We had the luxury last year of needing a goalie and OA forwards which are traditionally draft pick based deals. We don’t necessarily have that luxury this year.

We need to go into the season expecting to make a painful decision on losing a player for the chance at a Championship. If we end up not needing to, all the better. But don’t assume that.

Barrie will also be in the mix, same with Sudbury. Byfield stands a decent chance of not coming back next year. They need to take advantage of that.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009

For Ottawa to lose 7 forwards from last years playoff team and the top junior goalie in Canada I wouldn't be so quick to not worry about the Petes and Wolves. It will be a different season for Ottawa. Granted you have your entire defence core back is a huge plus. But you did lose Mask, Chmevleski, Bitton, Chiodo, Felhabar, Clark, Maggio (not really a factor) DiPietro. Thats alot of goals and saves. In comparison; the Wolves lose Pilon twins, O'Bonswin, Ruzicka, DeMeo (didn't play the playoffs) and Ukko. I think we only matched in goal. Otherwise Sudbury is in a pretty good spot if they can add two pieces. Don't let the pre-season game cloud your thoughts on the Wolves this season. lol

WJ

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
For Ottawa to lose 7 forwards from last years playoff team and the top junior goalie in Canada I wouldn't be so quick to not worry about the Petes and Wolves. It will be a different season for Ottawa. Granted you have your entire defence core back is a huge plus. But you did lose Mask, Chmevleski, Bitton, Chiodo, Felhabar, Clark, Maggio (not really a factor) DiPietro. Thats alot of goals and saves. In comparison; the Wolves lose Pilon twins, O'Bonswin, Ruzicka, DeMeo (didn't play the playoffs) and Ukko. I think we only matched in goal. Otherwise Sudbury is in a pretty good spot if they can add two pieces. Don't let the pre-season game cloud your thoughts on the Wolves this season. lol

WJ
Agree that Wolves are starting to take shape nicely, but comparing what they lost to the 67's is not a fair analysis. 67's were a much better team overall to start with.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

WJ

Ottawa was the clear front runner in the league last year WITHOUT Dipietro, Chiodo and Maksimovich. Chmelevski and Felhaber are indeed outstanding players, Clark had some good moments but Bitten and Maggio were mainly role players.

It is highly unlikely that anybody replaces Felhaber’s goal output but a year of improvement by Clarke, Tolnai, Quinn and a healthy year from Rossi will help to fill the void.

People keep forgetting that both Goalies and all seven Defencemen from the first place, first half team are back.

With respect to Sudbury, UPL was your best player almost every time that Ottawa played the Wolves. His loss is significantly greater than any single loss from Ottawa’s roster.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Ottawa was the clear front runner in the league last year WITHOUT Dipietro, Chiodo and Maksimovich. Chmelevski and Felhaber are indeed outstanding players, Clark had some good moments but Bitten and Maggio were mainly role players.

It is highly unlikely that anybody replaces Felhaber’s goal output but a year of improvement by Clarke, Tolnai, Quinn and a healthy year from Rossi will help to fill the void.

People keep forgetting that both Goalies and all seven Defencemen from the first place, first half team are back.

With respect to Sudbury, UPL was your best player almost every time that Ottawa played the Wolves. His loss is significantly greater than any single loss from Ottawa’s roster.

Granted Ottawa was deep before the deals at the deadline. But you have to admit losing that much talent up front will be different for Ottawa. My comparison was to point out that Sudbury didn't lose significant offensive players other than Ruzicka. The goalies are considered a wash as we both lose top world class goalies. The games in the regular season were close before the Ottawa deals at the deadline and in the playoffs Chiodo and Felhaber destroyed us alone. Just my thought that it won't be so much a cake walk. Good luck this year! Look forward to the year a head.

WJ

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Granted Ottawa was deep before the deals at the deadline. But you have to admit losing that much talent up front will be different for Ottawa. My comparison was to point out that Sudbury didn't lose significant offensive players other than Ruzicka. The goalies are considered a wash as we both lose top world class goalies. The games in the regular season were close before the Ottawa deals at the deadline and in the playoffs Chiodo and Felhaber destroyed us alone. Just my thought that it won't be so much a cake walk. Good luck this year! Look forward to the year a head.

WJ
Don' t get me wrong Wolfman I'm not trying to disparage the Wolves or the Petes both good teams. But in respect to the wolves UPL made that team look better than they were. There is a question mark in goal. Your D imo is ok but nothing special as of now. Up front Byfield was by far your best forward against Ottawa ( the kid is an absolute beast) but a 16 y.o. cannot be your best forward which says something about your depth. So I think the Wolves have serious work to do to be a true contender ( more than Ottawa) but it can be done, look at Guelph last year. However best of luck to the wolves as you guys deserve a good run. Hopefully we meet in the conference final.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
If you want an elite player, you have to pick a painful player to trade. If it isn’t Matier, maybe it’s Belanger, Robinson or Tolnai. But, it has to be someone.

We had the luxury last year of needing a goalie and OA forwards which are traditionally draft pick based deals. We don’t necessarily have that luxury this year.

We need to go into the season expecting to make a painful decision on losing a player for the chance at a Championship. If we end up not needing to, all the better. But don’t assume that.

Barrie will also be in the mix, same with Sudbury. Byfield stands a decent chance of not coming back next year. They need to take advantage of that.
Like I said in my post we might have to give up Matier but if its a buyers' market maybe not. I do agree with you though if push comes to shove don't go in half ass........Quite a few people seem to see Barrie in the mix but I look at their line up and I think they're two years away, just my opinion. Been wrong before and sometimes a yeam peaks a year early as Ottawa did last year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Like I said in my post we might have to give up Matier but if its a buyers' market maybe not. I do agree with you though if push comes to shove don't go in half ass........Quite a few people seem to see Barrie in the mix but I look at their line up and I think they're two years away, just my opinion. Been wrong before and sometimes a yeam peaks a year early as Ottawa did last year.

I believe the colts are a year away from contending and spending too. Suzuki, Duhart, Hill, Allensen, Greaves ... will be 19; ‘02s will be good; Clarke a top nhl prospect; Tucker (OA?) & import G as trade bait this year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This is a team that can and should be the division champions as they stand now. Next year we will lose very few players depending on what they do with defence.

We will still have Rossi and most of the rest of the forwards and a strong defence that will include Cranley and possibly Andree next year.
Let's settle for a team that leads the division and plays good hockey. When we see how the rest of the league stacks up at Christmas we can talk about making deals or where we should go.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I cannot see the team drafting Rossi sending him back to the OHL. As a rookie Rossi had 1.23 pts/gp; and, the league’s best +/- per game and even strength production. IMO. the only thing the OHL could offer Rossi at 19 is stalling his growth as a player.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I cannot see the team drafting Rossi sending him back to the OHL. As a rookie Rossi had 1.23 pts/gp; and, the league’s best +/- per game and even strength production. IMO. the only thing the OHL could offer Rossi at 19 is stalling his growth as a player.
Another reason to go for it this year.

Reactions: Robray12

Robray12

Jun 6, 2011
Ottawa
Yes this is the year we have a star center let’s not loose this opportunity. I actually see Rossi in the top 5 scoring for the league

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I dont think his Swiss team has him on loan to Ottawa. If Ottawa holds his rights it is OHL or NHL.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I dont think his Swiss team has him on loan to Ottawa. If Ottawa holds his rights it is OHL or NHL.

AHL is not an option. An NHL team does not have to sign a player and send him back to the OHL. It would just be counter productive in Rossi’s case, (IMO). Rossi and NHL team simply don’t come to terms; so, Rossi plays a season in the elite league.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
AHL is not an option. An NHL team does not have to sign a player and send him back to the OHL. It would just be counter productive in Rossi’s case, (IMO). Rossi and NHL team simply don’t come to terms; so, Rossi plays a season in the elite league.

We’ll see what happens. If Ottawa holds his rights, they are within their rights to loan him to the AHL team so to speak if the request is made by the NHL team.

Just because he is putting up points doesn’t mean he is ready for North American Pro hockey. There is also a lot of athletic maturity that is required to take the type of punishment Elite Pro leagues dish out. Look at last year. He really only got hit twice last season. The first time he ended up missing 6 weeks. The second time he managed to skate it off. I think he needs to show he can take big hits with his smaller body.

He wins a lot of face offs but he typically doesn’t play much in the PK. A lot of that had to do with Chmelevski and Hoelscher both being solid Defensive guys but that may be something for him to continue to work on.

There are loads of North American players that aren’t ready for the NHL and they don’t leave to go play in Europe. They come back and dominate and they go on to have elite careers allowing their body an additional year to physically mature.

In the end, we really don’t know what kind of season Rossi will have. I am a huge Rossi supporter but I am also a huge proponent of kids building man strength before they advance to the NHL. Too many guys end up with short careers because they made the jump too quick.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
We’ll see what happens. If Ottawa holds his rights, they are within their rights to loan him to the AHL team so to speak if the request is made by the NHL team.

Just because he is putting up points doesn’t mean he is ready for North American Pro hockey. There is also a lot of athletic maturity that is required to take the type of punishment Elite Pro leagues dish out. Look at last year. He really only got hit twice last season. The first time he ended up missing 6 weeks. The second time he managed to skate it off. I think he needs to show he can take big hits with his smaller body.

He wins a lot of face offs but he typically doesn’t play much in the PK. A lot of that had to do with Chmelevski and Hoelscher both being solid Defensive guys but that may be something for him to continue to work on.

There are loads of North American players that aren’t ready for the NHL and they don’t leave to go play in Europe. They come back and dominate and they go on to have elite careers allowing their body an additional year to physically mature.

In the end, we really don’t know what kind of season Rossi will have. I am a huge Rossi supporter but I am also a huge proponent of kids building man strength before they advance to the NHL. Too many guys end up with short careers because they made the jump too quick.

You’re not wrong OMG. I agree with your opinion (not unusual).

The Rossi elbow injury (in Sudbury or North Bay, I can't recall), if you watch the replay, had nothing to do with physical maturity. It was a completely flukey incidental contact between two players moving in different directions, neither looking where they were going, right at the end of the play (at or possibly after the whistle).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
100 percent he will play next year in Europe if he doesnt make the NHL. Bahl is gone too next year they are the true stars of this team. They gotta go for it this year. This year was always the plan from the beginning.

What are some good forward targets to aquire?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Okay, a simple question because I do not understand the logic of your arguments.

If you go for it this year you are going to lose at least your number 1 draft pick player and probably a couple of others to get the players that we would need.

You would basically be playing a 4 man defence with players that will not be here next year.

If we stay pat and see what we have and trade a Peric and or Wilson we open up ice time for Belanger and Matier or others to develop.

The other issue that you guys seem to miss is that if you trade away your rookies and your draft picks it leaves you with a shell for next year.

I do not see and to be honest even when I was with the team never saw the logic of throwing the future away on a maybe.

My logic tells me that you go with what you have and you play them. If down the line a player becomes available that adds to the chemistry then you get them.

Personally I like the idea that every year we can talk about how great this team is.

I lived in Kingston and can tell you the go for it attitude is not a great thing and will cost fans and players.

SO PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE BIG DEAL OF GOING FOR THE MEMORIAL CUP EVERY YEAR IS.
i HAVE NOT AND NEVER HAVE UNDERSTOOD THE BLOW UP THE TEAM ATTITUDE.

Ottawa Senators tried that how are they doing so far?

From a business standpoint going for it does nothing for hte team this year as the games are in a different city.
The Sens are struggling to keep their fan base.
The M Cup is in Ontario next year.
This is a team that next year will still have Rossi and a lot of young guns that will have the experience we will still have Andree and Cranley and we will have a good young big defence that we can add players to.

Therefore to me, the logic is that this team provide a highly competitive product this year put together with the city a kick-ass presentation and win the bid.

These are all reasons that Rossi would want to stay in Ottawa and not go to Euro.
It is also the reason that we would be able to get a Rossi calibre player to replace Okytuk in the draft.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
100 percent he will play next year in Europe if he doesnt make the NHL. Bahl is gone too next year they are the true stars of this team. They gotta go for it this year. This year was always the plan from the beginning.

What are some good forward targets to aquire?
I truly believe that they need to acquire at least one of Liam Hawel, Ryan McGregor or Cole Purboo for an OA position.

It would be great if we could also manage to obtain a good 19 yr. old forward who can truly contribute and would also be a good OA candidate for the following season. As of yet I haven't looked around for a potentional target.

But if they decide to go for it, do all that is possible to reach this goal. Last season they let the championship slip away. Durzi, Saigeon and Entwistle on Ottawa would have improved their chances immensely.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Okay, a simple question because I do not understand the logic of your arguments.

If you go for it this year you are going to lose at least your number 1 draft pick player and probably a couple of others to get the players that we would need.

You would basically be playing a 4 man defence with players that will not be here next year.

If we stay pat and see what we have and trade a Peric and or Wilson we open up ice time for Belanger and Matier or others to develop.

The other issue that you guys seem to miss is that if you trade away your rookies and your draft picks it leaves you with a shell for next year.

I do not see and to be honest even when I was with the team never saw the logic of throwing the future away on a maybe.

My logic tells me that you go with what you have and you play them. If down the line a player becomes available that adds to the chemistry then you get them.

Personally I like the idea that every year we can talk about how great this team is.

I lived in Kingston and can tell you the go for it attitude is not a great thing and will cost fans and players.

SO PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE BIG DEAL OF GOING FOR THE MEMORIAL CUP EVERY YEAR IS.

From a business standpoint going for it does nothing for hte team this year as the games are in a different city.
This is a team that next year will still have Rossi and a lot of young guns that will have the experience we will still have Andree and Cranley and we will have a good young big defence that we can add players to.

Therefore to me, the logic is that this team provide a highly competitive product this year put together with the city a kick-ass presentation and win the bid.

These are all reasons that Rossi would want to stay in Ottawa and not go to Euro.
It is also the reason that we would be able to get a Rossi calibre player to replace Okytuk in the draft.
No chance Rossi is back next season.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It comes down to philosophy. If you ever want to wina championship, you have to be willing to spend.

Yes, it is great having an entertaining year. It sucks to lose in the 2nd and 3rd round year after year to teams that mortgaged some of their future to pummel you in the playoffs.

You like to go back to Kilrea teams so let's do a little revisionist histoy.

From 1996 to 2005, the 67s were the team you describe wanting. A solid team that had elite players with relatively little movement.

1996 - lost rnd 2 to Belleville (ahead in reg season standings)
1997 - lost finals to Oshawa
1998 - lost finals to Guelph
1999 - lost 2nd round to Belleville (CHL top ranked team at seasons end) won a hosted Memorial Cup
2000 - lost 2nd round to Belleville (ahead in reg season standings)
2001 - won Championship
2002 - lost rnd 2 to St Mikes (behind slightly in standings)
2003 - lost finals to Kitchener
2004 - lost rnd 1 to Brampton
2005 - lost finals to London

That is a 10 season sample where we were at or very near the top of the standings in 9 of those 10 seasons. 2004, we were above .500 but not a contender by any stretch.

It was great to pump chest in regular season but it was tiresome losing 4 times in the finals with only one win.

So, again, it all comes down to personal preference or philosophy. Either you are satisfied being the bridesmaid or you are not.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It comes down to philosophy. If you ever want to wina championship, you have to be willing to spend.

Yes, it is great having an entertaining year. It sucks to lose in the 2nd and 3rd round year after year to teams that mortgaged some of their future to pummel you in the playoffs.

You like to go back to Kilrea teams so let's do a little revisionist histoy.

From 1996 to 2005, the 67s were the team you describe wanting. A solid team that had elite players with relatively little movement.

1996 - lost rnd 2 to Belleville (ahead in reg season standings)
1997 - lost finals to Oshawa
1998 - lost finals to Guelph
1999 - lost 2nd round to Belleville (CHL top ranked team at seasons end) won a hosted Memorial Cup
2000 - lost 2nd round to Belleville (ahead in reg season standings)
2001 - won Championship
2002 - lost rnd 2 to St Mikes (behind slightly in standings)
2003 - lost finals to Kitchener
2004 - lost rnd 1 to Brampton
2005 - lost finals to London

That is a 10 season sample where we were at or very near the top of the standings in 9 of those 10 seasons. 2004, we were above .500 but not a contender by any stretch.

It was great to pump chest in regular season but it was tiresome losing 4 times in the finals with only one win.

So, again, it all comes down to personal preference or philosophy. Either you are satisfied being the bridesmaid or you are not.

Incredible run, imo. Not sure that is repeatable with the way teams load up at the deadline now. But wow! Go post that on the hounds site the next time elite team stuff starts up :)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Beast, give up the going for it will result in the team being a shell next season’s and draft cupboard bare. The ‘67s had multiple 2nds and/or 3rds for about 5 years and have several extra picks for the next 3 drafts. The ‘67s are overflowing with young players.
And Ohotynuk can easily be replaced with a Rossi type next draft? Geez!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad