Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don't agree that the 67's carried the play throughout. The Greyhounds dominated even strength puck possession throughout, including 2 different stretches of more than 4 minutes in the Ottawa end.

Andree and the the officiating made the difference in this game, particularly the absolutely horrendous blown call that led to the winning goal. The team is unbeatable if Andree stands on his head like that, even if they are noticeably outplayed.
The penalty to Groulx for slashing was also a very debatable call but you have to endure and continue on. SSM made a very bad move by getting an extra bench penalty for abuse I believe it was announced.

Sometimes your team outplays the other but comes out on the short end of the stick. A hot goalie is all part of the equation as I see Malik has been playing very well lately for the hounds and the team is getting positive results.

One more thing Ottawa gave up many chances to shoot and also missed many cross crease passes. This sure made the shot total heavily in the Greyhounds favor.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You guys have a nice team over there. It's going to take us a similar effort plus a bit more luck to get a win when you guys come to visit in 3 weeks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't agree that the 67's carried the play throughout. The Greyhounds dominated even strength puck possession throughout, including 2 different stretches of more than 4 minutes in the Ottawa end.

Andree and the the officiating made the difference in this game, particularly the absolutely horrendous blown call that led to the winning goal. The team is unbeatable if Andree stands on his head like that, even if they are noticeably outplayed.

I would say that is a rather generous assessment.

Personally, I think Malik made just as many difficult saves.

I think, at times, both teams got running around in their own zone a little too much. We did see some line mismatches at times that made things more "thrilling" so to speak.

Meh, the officiating is what it is. Some questionable calls almost every game. I belive the one you are refering to was when the stick got into Keatings lead skate and he went down. Pretty textbook call these days. Rarely see that not called now.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I would say that is a rather generous assessment.

Personally, I think Malik made just as many difficult saves.

I think, at times, both teams got running around in their own zone a little too much. We did see some line mismatches at times that made things more "thrilling" so to speak.

Meh, the officiating is what it is. Some questionable calls almost every game. I belive the one you are refering to was when the stick got into Keatings lead skate and he went down. Pretty textbook call these days. Rarely see that not called now.

Questionable calls will be made, but I was referring to the missed call on the penalty kill.

Trott dropped his stick on the PK and as he was picking it up, the Ottawa player deliberately moved it away from him. There is no referee discretion involved, that is unsportsmanlike conduct each and every time. That caused the winning goal, so it would have been interesting to see the game play out from that point with the correct call being made.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

The classic Fish

Go into the other team’s thread, inform them of how the Soo “dominated” their team in puck possession or even strength play, but due to a myriad of factors outside of their control they ended up losing.

Never has a team sitting outside a playoff spot so frequently dominated and lost due to bad luck or officiating or whatever magic.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
The classic Fish

Go into the other team’s thread, inform them of how the Soo “dominated” their team in puck possession or even strength play, but due to a myriad of factors outside of their control they ended up losing.

Never has a team sitting outside a playoff spot so frequently dominated and lost due to bad luck or officiating or whatever magic.

From Soo thread:

upload_2020-2-3_11-54-52.png

Calls go both ways. You shouldn't have to rely on the officiating to win games.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You shouldn't have to rely on the officiating to win games.
A young team like the Soo that is still a year away from contending against the top team in the league this year. I would think that the officiating would need to be neutral at worst for us to have a chance. What's wrong with that assessment?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
From watching this game, I really wished we were able to deal for LaGuerrier. That guy is a pretty solid d-man.

That may end up being the achilles heal for this team.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable had we gotten a bonafide 3rd line centre and a good #3 type D-Man.

I'm not saying we are doomed but I'd have felt more comfortable.

The depth on the top end is very thin. If a guy like Bahl goes down again, the #4 D-Man will be a rookie. Same goes for the centre ice position. If Rossi or Hoelscher go down, we are pretty much screwed.

If we stay healthy, we should be ok though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
A young team like the Soo that is still a year away from contending against the top team in the league this year. I would think that the officiating would need to be neutral at worst for us to have a chance. What's wrong with that assessment?

Someone pointed out an interesting stat that the 67s receive the least number of powerplays in the OHL. Considering how strong a team they are, you would think they draw more penalties but they don't.

A lot of that has to do with score and overall strength. Game management so to speak on behalf of the officials.

I think Ottawa gets their fair share of game management against them so sometimes things just balance out now and then.

You have to learn to accept the good and the bad. Officials are never poor against one team. They are poor indiscriminately. Therefore, you are going to get a gift as much as you get a kick in the groin. Over the course of a season, it all balances out.

I know there are some fans on here that would reference a game against the Generals from earlier in the season about a missed penalty that led to a game winning goal against.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Someone pointed out an interesting stat that the 67s receive the least number of powerplays in the OHL. Considering how strong a team they are, you would think they draw more penalties but they don't.

A lot of that has to do with score and overall strength. Game management so to speak on behalf of the officials.

I think Ottawa gets their fair share of game management against them so sometimes things just balance out now and then.

You have to learn to accept the good and the bad. Officials are never poor against one team. They are poor indiscriminately. Therefore, you are going to get a gift as much as you get a kick in the groin. Over the course of a season, it all balances out.

I know there are some fans on here that would reference a game against the Generals from earlier in the season about a missed penalty that led to a game winning goal against.

I don't think anyone implied any favouritism for or against Ottawa. It's just worth mentioning when such a blatant missed call directly changes the outcome of the game.

I think HockeyPops is right in his assessment. With a young team hanging with and at times dominating the best team in Canada, they are giving their absolute best. A few bad calls can really be a back breaker. They didn't have another gear to go to.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

the officiating is neutral; except in Sudbury. The refs do everything in their power to see the wolves lose :)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think anyone implied any favouritism for or against Ottawa. It's just worth mentioning when such a blatant missed call directly changes the outcome of the game.

I think HockeyPops is right in his assessment. With a young team hanging with and at times dominating the best team in Canada, they are giving their absolute best. A few bad calls can really be a back breaker. They didn't have another gear to go to.

I think the word "dominating" is probably a misconception. You cannot dominate at times. You can clearly win shift or maybe even put a few together but if you use that word, it cannot be sometimes yes and sometimes no.

If you did say that, the flip side is true. When the Greyhounds weren't dominating, they must have been dominated.

I don't think either side were dominating at all. I think both teams got to scrambling a bit here and there.

You also need to remember, great teams lose games. They don't always lose games to other really good teams. A lot of times those teams lose to average teams that play well and take advantage of opportunities.

Ottawa has been fortunate in that they've managed to win a lot of game while just playing good enough. That has a lot to do with the fact they jump on chances but it also has to do with the fact they manufacture chances. The bad games, like Sunday, are games where they give up more chances than normal.

I will say, Malik made a number of great saves and the defence was able to get a stick on a lot of opportunities that we see end up in the oppositions net. I've seen Ottawa win games like Sunday 7-2 without empty net goals because cross crease passes get through. Sault did a good job cutting off a lot of those sneaky plays Ottawa gets away with.

Heck, was it Sault's first goal that came on a 2 on 0 break after Ottawa spent the better part of three straight minutes in the Sault Zone? A lot of times, Ottawa is scoring on those exchanges, not getting scored on.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I didn't intend to start an argument over semantics. I respect that you have always been a staunch defender of your team and I will never convince you that an opposition team played better. Good luck the rest of the way, I like your team.

jjhound

Oct 17, 2016
the officiating is neutral; except in Sudbury. The refs do everything in their power to see the wolves lose :)
Generally the officiating is not very good. Sometimes it just happens to affect one team more than another in any given game.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
To quote a ref that liked his beer a long time ago.

If both teams are pissed at me that means I called a good game.

I can not remember his name but you guys that have been around like me will remember.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I didn't intend to start an argument over semantics. I respect that you have always been a staunch defender of your team and I will never convince you that an opposition team played better. Good luck the rest of the way, I like your team.
I watched the 67's in Oshawa a couple of weeks ago. They were unimpressive in that game but the Generals also weren't great either. The game was a yawn fest but Ottawa still won. They also beat Niagara the other night and played somewhat mediocre. The week prior they hammered the Ice Dogs pretty hard at home. Good teams just find a way to win. Ottawa may be so far ahead they may have taken the throttle down several notches until a game comes along that means something. Don't flatter yourself too much. I am sure the Hounds played well and on any given night teams can show up and have great stretches in a game but they are not in Ottawa's league. I say this a non-Ottawa fan. Ottawa's big test will be against the Knights soon. I am sure both teams will want to make a statement that game...

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
The classic Fish

:laugh::clap:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Has this season gotten boring? I'm not saying any of us would be disinterested but the level of excitment seems very low.

We are so far ahead of Peterborough. I think we only need 8 more wins to clinch the conference.

It's pretty much like we are in a holding pattern waiting for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad