Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nail ...I would like you to meet hammer....!
..it’s taken 3 weeks and somebody has finally said it. This has got to be a huge elephant in room.
Boyd had resources to upgrade forward group but balked . I feel strongly no move was made to secure spot for coaches kid . I pray this calculated decision by Boyd doesn’t backfire

I don't think adding a 4th line calibre player would have been anything worth while. We did acquire Groulx and he'll mostly play bottom 6 minutes.

If they did acquire a centre, the question was whether Tolnai shifted tot he wing of the 3rd line or bumped down to centre the 4th line. If he stayed on the wing, I don't think Tourigny would have been affected.

Reactions: BarberPole9

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020
If Boyd went big game hunting let’s say Thomas/Hillis .... Tourigny would see much less ice time
...probably in and out of lineup through the playoffs

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Agree with OMG, not an issue. He's a fourth line player playing 4rth line minutes so no nepotism there. He also accepts his role which is important as a lot of kids don't accept that is their role on the team based on their skill set. I have no problem with Tourigny, decent depth player who works hard.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
On this roster, with a fully healthy lineup, who knows if Tourigny plays anyway. You have to think if Belanger stays on LW of the 3rd line with Tolnai and Clarke, it leaves:

Tourigny
Crete
Groulx
Johnston
Varga

Sirizzotti will also join the team when his season is over. I see a lot of competition there. You have to think Groulx and Varga will dress for sure. Either way you slice it, once Sirizzotti comes into the picture, there will be six guys for three spots.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The line I would like to see if Johnson Crete and Sirizzoti 2 of them have played together in minor and Crete will have t show why he should be here next year.
Groulx and Varga would be my on the bench people in case it does not work out

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The line I would like to see if Johnson Crete and Sirizzoti 2 of them have played together in minor and Crete will have t show why he should be here next year.
Groulx and Varga would be my on the bench people in case it does not work out

I think that is a "next year" proposal.

Varga is needed for the PK. His speed and tenacity is needed 5 on 5 as well.

Edit: if they draft a centre in the first round or a 17 year old Import centre, that may be a good fit for them.

RCN83

Oct 1, 2019
He's ok as a 4th line centre. He plays the PK successfully and is responsible defensively.

He didn't fit in their plans at the beginning of the year but he played his way on the team.

Unfortunate that some of the commentaries have their basis in Ancestry.com rather than watching the team play night in night out. Felix is NOT/NOT Logan Hunter or Rick Steadman. He is not a gifted player but he is a solid OHL bottom six forward. He skates well enough for this level, his real talent is between his ears. A typical coach's son in that he plays with his hocky smarts, within his limitations, always on the right side of the puck, never taking an unnecessary risk that has consequences if a failed attempt, he hustles every second of those precious 6-10 minutes nightly. I too thought patronage at first, but I am where OMG is, the kid may have been "gifted" the opportunity, but he has earned his place on the current roster. What I enjoy most about watching him is he truly appears to be grateful for the privilege to don a jersey in the OHL. Undoubtedly when Clarke comes back and the seasons of the other 16 year olds end, contributing to a full(er) roster, Felix will see his share of nights as a healthy scratch. In the meantime, please come see him play before you connect the dots between he, his dad and his roster spot. That is not a fair assessment.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Unfortunate that some of the commentaries have their basis in Ancestry.com rather than watching the team play night in night out. Felix is NOT/NOT Logan Hunter or Rick Steadman. He is not a gifted player but he is a solid OHL bottom six forward. He skates well enough for this level, his real talent is between his ears. A typical coach's son in that he plays with his hocky smarts, within his limitations, always on the right side of the puck, never taking an unnecessary risk that has consequences if a failed attempt, he hustles every second of those precious 6-10 minutes nightly. I too thought patronage at first, but I am where OMG is, the kid may have been "gifted" the opportunity, but he has earned his place on the current roster. What I enjoy most about watching him is he truly appears to be grateful for the privilege to don a jersey in the OHL. Undoubtedly when Clarke comes back and the seasons of the other 16 year olds end, contributing to a full(er) roster, Felix will see his share of nights as a healthy scratch. In the meantime, please come see him play before you connect the dots between he, his dad and his roster spot. That is not a fair assessment.

Good point on the "gifted" an "opportunity."

There is no doubt if it weren't for the fact we needed some bodies last year, he and his brother for that matter, would not have even been on the radar for this team.

I was surprised to see him in camp this year but he definitely earned a roster spot. With all the time lost to injury this year for guys, he has acquitted himself very well. It is very possible, even with a fully healthy roster, a 4th line of him, Groulx and Varga would be pretty solid defensively and would get some PK time too.

SidSixpointSeven

Nov 1, 2019
Saw Felix-Antoine interviewed by Kurt Stoodley during a recent Rogers broadcast and was very impressed by his maturity. He seems very personable, humble and genuinely grateful for having an opportunity to play at this level. Was asked about playing for his dad and was very honest in his reply (i.e. it's not always easy); he also talked about his non-hockey interests and career aspirations (which I believe included becoming a veterinarian or vet tech).

It's easy to see why his teammates like him. He has a specific role to play on this team and he does it well. Some people need to see beyond the name on the back of the jersey.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Niagara v 67's
EPkUK2DXUAAzs13

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Good teams find ways to win. goaltender for the Dogs almost stoled a point was the whistle early has suggested by the broadcaster

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Good teams find ways to win. goaltender for the Dogs almost stoled a point was the whistle early has suggested by the broadcaster

I had it on TV. I thought the Whistle blew when it was covered and then poked out of the pads after whistle. Ref was right there waiving it off instantly.

Reactions: three dog night

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
They are off recently, not sure why but still somehow dominating. Without Sbaraglia tonight would have been worse. Rossi losing control of the puck a lot recently or is it just me? On the positive I know they have been shielding Cranley and playing him against the weaker teams but big jump in his game in his last four. Appears much more confident in there. Important as we need Andree fresh for the playoffs.

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
An interesting footnote but Tourigny kept his firstt pp unit on the bench for the whole first pp?? Interesting, sending a message for some reason?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
They are off recently, not sure why but still somehow dominating. Without Sbaraglia tonight would have been worse. Rossi losing control of the puck a lot recently or is it just me? On the positive I know they have been shielding Cranley and playing him against the weaker teams but big jump in his game in his last four. Appears much more confident in there. Important as we need Andree fresh for the playoffs.

Cranley has looked very solid of late for sure. If you take out one really bad game, he is undefeated for the season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad