Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Regarding Andree's post-67's career, he has an EU passport, which helps with playing overseas as he wouldn't count as an import (at least in some leagues, I'm not an expert on this). In an interview he mentioned two options: giving it a shot in Europe or going to school.

I think he himself knows the North American route isn't in the cards, and we won't be seeing him in the ECHL/AHL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beast. It makes more sense to trade your assets to contenders. They're the ones looking for game changer types. It makes no sense for Niagara to spend large on an OA Goalie when they are not contending.

If Rossi and Hoelscher aren't back, we aren't doing anything next year other than trying to get 3 home playoff games.

Quinn would most likely also be on the trade block. I'm not sure what they would do with Clarke.

They do have nearly a full compliment of draft picks. The missing 3rd in 2022 is conditional in the Robinson trade so we'll probably retain that. If we get a 2023 2nd and 3rd for Andree, we'd be flush again. However, that just brings our bar to even. It would be good to bulk up some picks to help build again around our current crop of '03s. The extra picks will come in handy for sure.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Saw some people saying Andree to OSH next year but if the Gens decide to not go the Kooy route, I'd think they'd draft a 1 year NHL drafted import goalie for the Mem Cup run if they get it. Then you're not using an OA slot on the goalie and can use it somewhere else.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Saw some people saying Andree to OSH next year but if the Gens decide to not go the Kooy route, I'd think they'd draft a 1 year NHL drafted import goalie for the Mem Cup run if they get it. Then you're not using an OA slot on the goalie and can use it somewhere else.

From an acquisition cost perspective, Andree as an OA would be less costly than a forward OA so filling the Import position with a dynamic forward may be a better use of assets.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
From an acquisition cost perspective, Andree as an OA would be less costly than a forward OA so filling the Import position with a dynamic forward may be a better use of assets.

That’s probably true, but I don’t think that matters. If they’re hosting the memorial cup they’re not looking to cut costs. They’re looking to go absolutely all in and have the best team possible

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That’s probably true, but I don’t think that matters. If they’re hosting the memorial cup they’re not looking to cut costs. They’re looking to go absolutely all in and have the best team possible

Cost still matters. Their assets aren’t limitless. But, I understand your point.

It is still better to get a top six forward and a starting goalie for an Import Pick, a 2nd and a 4rd than it is to spend the Import pick two 2nds and two 3rds. You can use those two additional picks saved on another asset.

The Gnerals will have a plan going into the Import draft. If their plan is to get their goalie, they will have one or two targetted and will hope they slip to their pick. If they don’t then they will have to have a plan B and that plan cannot be next best available goalie, not in that draft. They have to have something worked out going in. That would mean their plan B would need to be trade.

Kooy has not proven to be that guy to lead his team. Assuming andree has a solid playoff and shows he’s a guy that can backstop a loaded team in a run, he may be best option available. Who knows what else will be available.

Mysak would be an interesting trade target if they could pry him away from Hamilton.

Ottawa is in a precarious situation on the Import side too. We’ll most likely lose both Imports this year. We’ll be picking around 55th or so. It may be tough to snag someone.

Anyway, I am pulling for the Generals to get the Hosting honours for the Memorial Cup. I think they’ll find a way to snag Perfetti as well. It will be an interesting season next year for the Gens.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Cost still matters. Their assets aren’t limitless. But, I understand your point.

It is still better to get a top six forward and a starting goalie for an Import Pick, a 2nd and a 4rd than it is to spend the Import pick two 2nds and two 3rds. You can use those two additional picks saved on another asset.

The Gnerals will have a plan going into the Import draft. If their plan is to get their goalie, they will have one or two targetted and will hope they slip to their pick. If they don’t then they will have to have a plan B and that plan cannot be next best available goalie, not in that draft. They have to have something worked out going in. That would mean their plan B would need to be trade.

Kooy has not proven to be that guy to lead his team. Assuming andree has a solid playoff and shows he’s a guy that can backstop a loaded team in a run, he may be best option available. Who knows what else will be available.

Mysak would be an interesting trade target if they could pry him away from Hamilton.

Ottawa is in a precarious situation on the Import side too. We’ll most likely lose both Imports this year. We’ll be picking around 55th or so. It may be tough to snag someone.

Anyway, I am pulling for the Generals to get the Hosting honours for the Memorial Cup. I think they’ll find a way to snag Perfetti as well. It will be an interesting season next year for the Gens.

yeah it’ll all depend on who they can get. If they can get an Askarov or Annunen type (I don’t mean them specifically because they’re not leaving pro hockey) who will come over and potentially be the best goalie in the league, you draft him every day of the week. Under this ownership the Gens have shown they have the connections and the money to get some of the most elite players in the draft and get them late first round (Lindberg, Suni, Gross). And if they get the Mem cup that’d be an even easier sell to a high end guy trying to show he can dominate in NA in front of scouts

Mysak won’t be moved. Don’t think Perfetti will be either. SAG didn’t go all in this year they got Suzuki instead of Thomas which shows me they’re making their window 2 years which makes sense because they don’t have a goalie this year but Lennox could/should be a lot better next year

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mysak won’t be moved. Don’t think Perfetti will be either. SAG didn’t go all in this year they got Suzuki instead of Thomas which shows me they’re making their window 2 years which makes sense because they don’t have a goalie this year but Lennox could/should be a lot better next year

Maybe the spirit can return enough picks from extra OAs for another run, but the D right now looks a little thin for next season. It could be that Saginaw feels Suzuki was the ideal C for their team; and, Suzuki holds more value for them as they can completely re-tool in one season by dealing him & Perfetti? Windsor & Flint will be stiff competition in the west.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Next year I still say Rossi will be back. How long will depend on the rest of the team but if we get Beck Rossi Quinn I would suggest that we will have a pretty potent first line.
Depending on Hoelscher with Clarke will make a great second line if they can get a LW to match (possibly Belanger at this point)
Our third line will have Sirizotti and Johnson if they can find a center that can work ( maybe Tolnai)

So at forward we lose a couple of god layers but should not be that bad off

Defence I see
Rippon, Matier, Gil=shane and Sawyer coming back

With Cranley as the starting goaltender

Trading Andree we should be able to get picks and a decent OA

I understand trading to a contender but I hate the idea of giving Oshawa anything that can help them

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Next year I still say Rossi will be back. How long will depend on the rest of the team but if we get Beck Rossi Quinn I would suggest that we will have a pretty potent first line.
Depending on Hoelscher with Clarke will make a great second line if they can get a LW to match (possibly Belanger at this point)
Our third line will have Sirizotti and Johnson if they can find a center that can work ( maybe Tolnai)

So at forward we lose a couple of god layers but should not be that bad off

Defence I see
Rippon, Matier, Gil=shane and Sawyer coming back

With Cranley as the starting goaltender

Trading Andree we should be able to get picks and a decent OA

I understand trading to a contender but I hate the idea of giving Oshawa anything that can help them

There is no doubt if we get Hoelscher and Rossi back we will be in good shape. Unfortunately, I think you are dreaming on that one. Playing the solo numbers on the roulette wheel so to speak. About the same odds.

For the 67’s sake, I hope you are right. But, as always, for the players sake, I hope you are wrong. Both deserve a shot at the next level.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at the past drafts not many players have made the jump from first-round pick unless they were number 1 and ranked as the best. Rossi I do not see as a number 1 pick. Again I may be wrong.
Hoelscher if I am correct does not have an NHL contract. Although he is good if he is not signed soon he goes back into the draft and that these days means he is unsigned. ould the Devils use him I think so will they sign him not sure.

While we have our draft picks again this year we are going to have to hunt for the best player available and pray that a star slips through for the first round of the Euro draft. Being number 1 in Canada does have it's drawbacks

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Looking at the past drafts not many players have made the jump from first-round pick unless they were number 1 and ranked as the best. Rossi I do not see as a number 1 pick. Again I may be wrong.
2019 the top 3 picks all stuck in the NHL. 2018 the top 4 picks all stuck. 2017 the top 2 stuck. 2016 1,2,6,16 stuck and 4th pick played 28 games.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Hoelscher if I am correct does not have an NHL contract. Although he is good if he is not signed soon he goes back into the draft and that these days means he is unsigned. ould the Devils use him I think so will they sign him not sure.

While we have our draft picks again this year we are going to have to hunt for the best player available and pray that a star slips through for the first round of the Euro draft. Being number 1 in Canada does have it's drawbacks

Rossi is a year older than most people being drafted though which does play a factor. For instance a lot of people saying Tomasino could be in the nhl next year but he’s less than 2 months older than Rossi and Rossi has more points than him and plays a better all around game

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rossi is a year older than most people being drafted though which does play a factor. For instance a lot of people saying Tomasino could be in the nhl next year but he’s less than 2 months older than Rossi and Rossi has more points than him and plays a better all around game

100%

The better measuring stick is how many 19 year olds play in the NHL, not 18 year olds.

The top 8 picks from the 2018 draft are all playing in the NHL. A couple of them are 1999's though. But that is a good indicator for Rossi since he is a later birthday.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Rocco gets who Rocco wants. His kid wants to play with friends

Would this be a bad time to bring up that your 4th line centre is literally the coaches kid and you probably didn't go and address your depth because that would've meant the coaches kid is cut off the team that he's not good enough to be on...?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Would this be a bad time to bring up that your 4th line centre is literally the coaches kid and you probably didn't go and address your depth because that would've meant the coaches kid is cut off the team that he's not good enough to be on...?

If Andre Tourigny had a child who was a cheerleader with pom poms with feet glued to the bench who tried to start the wave every period, I would happily have that kid on the 67's if it meant that his Dad stayed the Coach of our team. He's the best Coach in junior hockey hands down and I trust his judgment fully.

As it is, Felix plays a responsible game in the 5-10 minutes he sees the ice and I know for a fact that he's well liked within the dressing room and amongst the fans that go to the games and the Sunday skates after games.

Aren't you the guy who said that Cole Perfetti would only play for the Gens?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
There is no doubt if we get Hoelscher and Rossi back we will be in good shape. Unfortunately, I think you are dreaming on that one. Playing the solo numbers on the roulette wheel so to speak. About the same odds.

For the 67’s sake, I hope you are right. But, as always, for the players sake, I hope you are wrong. Both deserve a shot at the next level.

Agree fully but last year at this time all of us would have said that there is no way possible that Noel Hoefenmayer would be in the league this year. For that matter, Joe Gareffa was considered a strong contender to play pro this year too.

In talking with a Scout at the arena, he said that teams are tighter than ever in handing out ELC's unless a player is a legit NHL prospect as most teams are now focusing on 23-25 year olds for the bulk of their AHL rosters who will bring more maturity than the average 20 year old.

Reactions: beastintheeast

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If Andre Tourigny had a child who was a cheerleader with pom poms with feet glued to the bench who tried to start the wave every period, I would happily have that kid on the 67's if it meant that his Dad stayed the Coach of our team. He's the best Coach in junior hockey hands down and I trust his judgment fully.

As it is, Felix plays a responsible game in the 5-10 minutes he sees the ice and I know for a fact that he's well liked within the dressing room and amongst the fans that go to the games and the Sunday skates after games.

Aren't you the guy who said that Cole Perfetti would only play for the Gens?

Cool.

The point was it's weird as a 67s fan to act like Tullio is hurting the Gens with nepotism by adding one of the best players in the league while the team the original poster cheers for literally is being hurt by nepotism lol. What's that saying about stones and glass houses?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Cool.

The point being weird as a 67s fan to act like Tullio is hurting the Gens with nepotism by adding one of the best players in the league while the team the original poster cheers for literally is being hurt by nepotism lol. What's that saying about stones and glass houses?

I don't think that poster is a 67's fan. Have never seen them post on here. Looks like an Erie fan based on posting history.

Tullio is a great player and likely NHL kid and his Dad seems like one of the great owners in the league.

Boris67

Jan 11, 2020

Nail ...I would like you to meet hammer....!
..it’s taken 3 weeks and somebody has finally said it. This has got to be a huge elephant in room.
Boyd had resources to upgrade forward group but balked . I feel strongly no move was made to secure spot for coaches kid . I pray this calculated decision by Boyd doesn’t backfire

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

He's ok as a 4th line centre. He plays the PK successfully and is responsible defensively.

He didn't fit in their plans at the beginning of the year but he played his way on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->