Ottawa 67's 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
4 of 8 loses to the Petes! U guys are obviously the face of the CHL, such a great all around team, Hope to meet yas in the playoffs, would be a hell of a series!

Got banned from your board over there as one of your delicates had his feelings hurt over an observation I made! lol Nevertheless, I gotta hand it to Peterborough. They're a good solid team capable of doing considerable damage to any team that gets in its way. You and London will make some waves. Something tells me though that a certain group of fans from the East don't wanna meet da Petes in the Post Season. Yup. 4 loses to the Petes BUT I am thinking the Gennies may give your boys a battle if they meet no??

Petes25

Jan 4, 2017
Got banned from your board over there as one of your delicates had his feelings hurt over an observation I made! lol Nevertheless, I gotta hand it to Peterborough. They're a good solid team capable of doing considerable damage to any team that gets in its way. You and London will make some waves. Something tells me though that a certain group of fans from the East don't wanna meet da Petes in the Post Season. Yup. 4 loses to the Petes BUT I am thinking the Gennies may give your boys a battle if they meet no??

Oh for sure! As much as I dislike the Gens, if they came out of the East I wouldn't be surprised, hopefully u guys get them round 2 and beat up on each other a little bit lol

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This 67 team is not playing with the edge that they had. Hats off to the Petes who have had their own struggles but this team has convinced itself that they have the players and the goalie that they can just turn it on in the 3rd and teams will melt and fold.

Tourigny had this problem last year and it killed us in the playoffs with Guelph. I disagree that we do not have the lines we have 2 lines that when they play are deadly. The problem is when they don't want to play they are also deadly.

It is funny in a sort of way though If you remember the awesome year the Petes had when they had the towers on defence and were unbeatable it was the 67's who had nothing but Kevin Weekes that was their toughest opponent.

Tourigny needs to up the ante.
Personally I think they need what Killer used to call an attitude adjustment practice.
Sprints and full out skating for every drill.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Oh for sure! As much as I dislike the Gens, if they came out of the East I wouldn't be surprised, hopefully u guys get them round 2 and beat up on each other a little bit lol
Good chance indeed we get the Gens in round two, but we might also get you guys if you don't start winning against the teams you're supposed to beat. The Petes have proven they can get up for the 67's, will be interesting when the 67's get up for the Petes! We've just been coasting on talent in the past month and the two loses against you guys are good for us imo.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
They have been stumbling for sometime, the last 6 or so games their have been no real gems but they just managed to win. A few empty net goals included to make the scores look more one sided.

They are son nonchalant getting the puck out of their end and as a result they give the puck up way too many times. When the Pete's forecheck it looks like they have never seen this before. You have to use short crisp passes to counteract the heavy hitting. Standing around you are just going to get crunched.

The 67s did outshoot them but you have to get somebody in front of Jones especially when he is seeing the puck really well. It is going to hurt as the Pete's have some solid D but that is the price you are going to have to pay.

It all comes down to the same old adage, small skilled team who can really skate but have no size and it was not addressed again this trade deadline. I can see us falling into the same old pattern as last season if we play the Pete's in the playoffs their size could knock us off of our pedestal.

We could of added more depth and size but oh no we don't want to upset the apple cart. Well I think we are close to the edge when playing bigger skilled teams.

I think people could get surprised come playoff time and if we continue to play like we have been lately I could easily see an early upset. Teams are going to try and duplicate the Pete's game plan so Tourigny better find some answers quickly.

Last edited:

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
When the Petes are playing their game, they are a better overall team without a doubt.

The lack of depth on Ottawa is apparent.

This is not doom and gloom. Ottawa hasn’t been playing for anything the last 4 weeks or so. At some point they will have to gear up.

In all fairness, there is no sense peaking with 20 games left either so....

No doom and gloom here. This stretch for the 67s just has them playing uninspired hockey. Very little net drive, too many shots from the periphery. Petes played the same game as a few others, by dropping down by the net and clogging up the passing lanes. The 67s have a propensity to pass off and circle around looking for ... another pass. It also seems that Tourigny is trying out some different tactics, by moving players around in the power play, etc. When they turn it on, they play great, but getting down 0-3 early in games will be a disaster in March and April.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
When the Petes are playing their game, they are a better overall team without a doubt.

The lack of depth on Ottawa is apparent.

This is not doom and gloom. Ottawa hasn’t been playing for anything the last 4 weeks or so. At some point they will have to gear up.

In all fairness, there is no sense peaking with 20 games left either so....
I agree the Petes are a good team but really not sure they are better than us as I think our high end talent is better. As for depth the returns of Groulx and Clarke will solve that. As you say they have just been coasting the past 4 weeks and developing bad habits. They are not the swarming team they were earlier but its tough to sustain over the full year. A few loses now are a good thing to motivate them.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Petes have definitely been our Kryptonite during the regular season. Having said that, history shows that regular season series records mean little when it comes to the playoffs. When the intensity gets dialed up for the playoffs, you can take the results of a regular season game in February and throw them out the window. The key will be the 67's starting to play playoff hockey right from Game one of Round one. As others have said, this was probably a good wake up call - I'm betting that was a pretty quiet bus ride home...

Reactions: 67hockeyfan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As I didn't see the game a few questions. I see the score and the shot total. So were we really outplayed or a case of Jones being very good? Did the Petes carry the play or was it pretty even?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto

:laugh: By stating "you" I am assuming that you are referring to the rest of the Ottawa brass on this forum. I stopped being a 67's fan long ago dude. I am more or less an OHL fan per se and don't have a favorite anymore. However as I live in Central Toronto (I actually love basketball as my favorite sport) I do tend to occasionally drive out to Oshawa to watch the Generals play. But the Petes need to start beating teams like Missy and Kingston to get traction. They've certainly got Ottawa's attention I must say...

Reactions: OMG67 and Petes25

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
To top it all off the team has to play again today. Hopefully they shrugged off last night's loss and are prepared.

North Bay is a bottom feeder but no team can be taken lightly. They need to right the ship today and move on.

Be ready to go from the opening whistle and continue on throughout the game. A convincing win would be a good confidence booster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buschito

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
As I didn't see the game a few questions. I see the score and the shot total. So were we really outplayed or a case of Jones being very good? Did the Petes carry the play or was it pretty even?

Ottawa has flashes of bery strong control but mostly when are 3rd line was on for a mismatch and the 3rd period petes sat back and defended where as you guys were shooting but only a few really good scoring chances.

We’re at that time in the season where all teams are beat up tired long road trips and the young weaker teams like Kingston Mississauga have figured out how to play with big teams and in the ohl in general a team like that playing for a payoff spot imo is more dangerous to play against than a top half team

Buschito

Apr 8, 2019
c'mon OMG Hoef is not a "horrible" skater, he's an average skater who has improved a lot but I agree its the facet of his game holding him back. However he does not deserve the horrible label.

Most of the time I agree with OMG, but I’m with Sirius on this one. Hoef’s improvements this year, including his skating and defensive play are noticeable and combined with the crazy points he is putting up, there is no way he isn’t getting at least a few ELC offers. I predict he’ll get his chance in the AHL and then we will see if he can improve even more. The kid seems to play better when the pressure is on and in the playoffs, so who knows?

And from what I understand, most draftees returning to the draft after having their rights expire are not signed, because they don’t want to be. It would just tie the player up for two more years when they could be UFA if they make it through the draft unclaimed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
c'mon OMG Hoef is not a "horrible" skater, he's an average skater who has improved a lot but I agree its the facet of his game holding him back. However he does not deserve the horrible label.

He s an average skater if you take into consideration all skaters that play hockey across all levels! But, at the OHL level he is well below average. At the AHL level, he’d struggle to be not the worst.

There is a reason why we have a 100 point OA D-Man. It isn’t because EVERY NHL TEAM slept in when Ottawa played last year. It is because he doesn’t project as a pro to ANY NHL team. If no one that matters thinks he has a shot to play at the NHL level, no one will sign him.

Could he get an AHL contract and play mostly in the ECHL? Probably. Maybe for one contract.

I will chew off my left arm live on the Internet if he gets an NHL contract where a team actually assigns him one of their 50 contracts.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree the Petes are a good team but really not sure they are better than us as I think our high end talent is better. As for depth the returns of Groulx and Clarke will solve that. As you say they have just been coasting the past 4 weeks and developing bad habits. They are not the swarming team they were earlier but its tough to sustain over the full year. A few loses now are a good thing to motivate them.

You may want to have a closer look at the depth of the Petes.

Akin Thomas
Nick Robertson
SDA
Kirk
Gallant
McTavish

As a top 6, that compares very favourably to Ottawa’s top two lines (When Clarke returns)

When you compare the bottoms 6, that is when things get very interesting.

Grondin and Heinz are better than anything we have bottom six.

I would rather have Chisholm than any of out D-Men man for man. That’s pretty tough when considering Bahl but I think if I had to pick one guy and one guy only, I’d take Chisholm. The rest of their defence is just flat out solid. While we definitely have a better top 3 all things considered, we don’t have the better bottom 3.

No disrespect to Andree but I’d take Jones in a heartbeat.

The Petes are way better constructed than Ottawa. Ottawa is top heavy up front and tp heavy on the back.

Ottawa had an opportunity to add a little size and a skilled centre for the third lien and did not.

To me, forgo the Groulx trade and get Montana and Mutter and I think this team would look much better positioned for the playoffs. Last night you saw a team bully Ottawa all night. The only guy that Ottawa has to really stand up to anyone is Bahl and you cannot have him in the box for extended periods. Okhotyuk can bang but he will also take the stupid penalty.

I also don’t understand why anyone considers Clarke’s return more than just some goals. On a deep team last year, he played his way down to the 4th line in the playoffs. He’ll have missed four months. He’ll help the power play but the power play doesn’t need help. This team needs leadership and drive. HE is not a player that will add either element.

I am not saying Ottawa cannot win. They can. However, they really need to be playing at 100% with 100% focus and attention.

Tourigny is using some time now to test some sequences and flirt with some different tactics which he has the luxury to do so. I think he will tighten up the ship this week going into games vs Windsor and London. I think their focus will return and we won’t see horrid periods like we’ve seen the last month.

That said, don’t underestimate the Petes. They have a deep team that is very well constructed. If they play to their potential, Ottawa will have a very hard time against them. Home ice advantage would be the difference maker for sure.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Most of the time I agree with OMG, but I’m with Sirius on this one. Hoef’s improvements this year, including his skating and defensive play are noticeable and combined with the crazy points he is putting up, there is no way he isn’t getting at least a few ELC offers. I predict he’ll get his chance in the AHL and then we will see if he can improve even more. The kid seems to play better when the pressure is on and in the playoffs, so who knows?

And from what I understand, most draftees returning to the draft after having their rights expire are not signed, because they don’t want to be. It would just tie the player up for two more years when they could be UFA if they make it through the draft unclaimed.

It actually doesn’t work like that. Drafting 19 year olds it is less than one year you have their rights. I think it is the June 1st the following year. It may even be sooner than that. If you draft a 19 year old reentry, you are doing it because you are certain you want him and have an ELC for him to sign right away.

His statistics are overshadowing his deficiencies. Statistically, he is having a great year. HE can hide his deficiencies at this level. We see it all the time. Guys that can perform at a high level in the OHL that simply cannot translate at the next level, not even close. We see it in OA’s all the time. Look at Garreffa. He was returned. Keating is a very solid player in work ethic and he can put up points. None of the three really have much of a shot to play NHL hockey and NHL teams will not give ELC contracts to players unless they honestly feel their skill set can develop into an NHL player.

We very well could have three OA players all finish in the top 15 for OHL scoring and not one of them will get more than a Minor League contract.

In Hoef’s case, you need to be able to defend. He isn’t a good defender. Half of his points have come on the power play where he plays with a sick group of five. He gets loads of room because no one wants to leave Quinn, Rossi and Garreffa uncovered down low. Rossi has less Power play points!

Watch Hoefenmayer for a game without the puck. Isolate on him alone. You will clearly see how poor of a skater he is. You will clearly see his poor positioning and his inability to get where he needs to be. Everyone sees what he does with the puck in the O-Zone. No one sees what he does without the puck in the D-Zone.

As fans, we tend to track the puck. We are spectators. Take a game where we play a decent level of competition and watch Hoefenmayer. Maybe you will have a better understanding why 31 NHL teams passed on him last year.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
That said, don’t underestimate the Petes. They have a deep team that is very well constructed. If they play to their potential, Ottawa will have a very hard time against them. Home ice advantage would be the difference maker for sure.

You might be discrediting (Ottawa) slightly as they are not the number one ranked team in Canada for nothing. They're slumping now and it's pretty obvious. The Petes were too. As it stands today, I would still favor Ottawa narrowly over Peterborough just based on the experience of last years run. However the 67's would need to rely on the refs calling all the infractions in 7-game series to beat the Petes properly. If not the Petes could bang them up considerably and move on. Again I love how the Generals have no fear of Peterborough though. That's a series I'd love to see almost as much as a Leafs Vs Habs matchup!

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
EQWpEJ6WAAExYcn

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You might be discrediting (Ottawa) slightly as they are not the number one ranked team in Canada for nothing. They're slumping now and it's pretty obvious. The Petes were too. As it stands today, I would still favor Ottawa narrowly over Peterborough just based on the experience of last years run. However the 67's would need to rely on the refs calling all the infractions in 7-game series to beat the Petes properly. If not the Petes could bang them up considerably and move on. Again I love how the Generals have no fear of Peterborough though. That's a series I'd love to see almost as much as a Leafs Vs Habs matchup!

You are correct in one point. The penalties need to be called so the 67’s powerplay makes a difference. But, so will the Petes.

The reason why they are #1 is their record. It is not like there are a bunch of advanced stats at play to decide the rankings. The 67’s take advantage of a poor conference.

No disrespect meat. The 67’s are an outstanding team. If they were playing in the West their record wouldn’t be as good but they’d probably be a better team for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad