Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
No Rossi, no Clarke and no Okhotiuk and we beat handily one of the two top teams in the west. Trying to stay level headed here but we have a hell of a team on our hands. Bouquet time!
1- Andree keeps bringing it. I'm the first to admit I've been waiting for a downturn but it ain't happening. Starting to wonder if beast ( or barber pole) is right ( too lazy to go back in thread) and we get a solid second instead of Dipietro?
2- Chem is bringing it big time even though stats do not reflect it. Before Clark got in gear he has been almost single handedly anchoring our second line.
3- anybody notice Quinn and Peric are becoming major factors?
4- Time to give Tourigny some love, tonight we're short. I would have loaded the first line with Chem/keats/Felhabar but that's why I'm not a coach, he puts Quinn there and Bingo. Perhaps less noticeable but needed to spell the top two lines so puts Hoelscher with the kids (Tolnai, Maggio) and they gave solid minutes. Imo nothing bad will happen with Hoelscher on the ice, such a smart player. Has not brought the offense I expected yet but he is invaluable to this team.
5 - Bitten gets rewarded! This kid is good, physical and works hard all the time. Nice to see him get a few, important piece going forward.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Going forward acquire 2 top forwards (OA's likely) so Tolnai, Maggio and Maybe Yule lose icetime for this year. But they have got their feet wet and will be factors next year...win/win.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OMG question? In view of the emergence of Rossi/Quinn/Peric etc Do you still think we are only all in this year or is a two year run feasible in view of our draft board?

Reactions: BarberPole9

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Going forward acquire 2 top forwards (OA's likely) so Tolnai, Maggio and Maybe Yule lose icetime for this year. But they have got their feet wet and will be factors next year...win/win.
You guys should try and get the Pilon twins for your overagers they would put you guys over the top they are the best shut down guys in this league top skilled players hate playing against them don’t know if Sudbury would trade them though

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
You guys should try and get the Pilon twins for your overagers they would put you guys over the top they are the best shut down guys in this league top skilled players hate playing against them don’t know if Sudbury would trade them though
Agreed they are really hard to play against and was impressed with them last night. Not withstanding the fact the wolves would be foolish to trade them ( they give them an identity) I think we can do better. As much as I like them they are a bit one dimensionnal. If we're gonna be contenders we need to go for top players.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Agreed they are really hard to play against and was impressed with them last night. Not withstanding the fact the wolves would be foolish to trade them ( they give them an identity) I think we can do better. As much as I like them they are a bit one dimensionnal. If we're gonna be contenders we need to go for top players.
That goal that Hoefenmayer scored was a highlight real goal one of the best I have seen and he is a defence man ?

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
OMG question? In view of the emergence of Rossi/Quinn/Peric etc Do you still think we are only all in this year or is a two year run feasible in view of our draft board?

To me, they have a wide two year window. Next year, the 67’s will likely lose Felhaber, Chmelevski and Clark up front and Hoefenmeyer on the back end. These will all be big losses but between player improvements year over year under this fantastic coaching staff plus a likely increased capacity to recruit top end talent, they will find and develop more great players.

Next year, there won’t be a team in the league that can match a top 5 D of Bahl, Okhotyuk, Rippon, Peric and Wilson. If Belanger can improve next year like Peric has this year look out!

I’d love to see them target either Ty Dellandrea from Flint or Barrett Hayton from the Soo as top end two year guys. Greg Meireles from Kitchener is a good 19 year old local player who will likely be back next year as the third overager along with Keating and Wilson.

Reactions: sirius67fan

Gouin Street

Jan 9, 2014
S.S.Marie
Wow. Congrats Ottawa on a well played game in the Soo. And short some key players also. This team looks good. The next 4-6 weeks will be fun as a 67 fan with some possible anticipation of trades to go all in. Good luck.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

It depends on a few factors that I simply don’t have answers for. As mentioned, it is very likely Chmelevski, Clark, and Felhaber do not return. Also possible Keating doesn’t return as his offensive outburst this season will garner some pro interest. That is a lot of top end talent to disappear. I really don’t think we have internal candidates to fully take their place.

To me Hoelscher has been a little bit of an enigma. He’s played better of late but he would be relied upon as the 2nd line centre next year? Maybe Tolnai? Neither have shown enough to suggest either would be 2nd line centres on Championship calibre teams.

Clarke has been good but he is so one dimensional. Quinn will be fine. Bitten should be fine. But the issue is the other guys are too young to really make a top of the lineup impact at an elite level. There simply is not enough experienced fire power coming back.

We should be able to shut teams down and limit the offense but this is still an offense driven league for the most part. The team would be drastically different.

Then look at the draft pick dispersion. Five 2nds next year. IF they were to stay pretty much status quo, they’d have to shift those picks to future picks. Possible but not necessarily easy.

Way too many variables in play to really suggest next year is another window for elite competitiveness.

The variables this year are far less restrictive. We are far more certain about what we have. The picks are lined up nicely with higher weight clearly given to earlier picks as opposed to trading for picks five years from now. They have positional advantage. They can afford t sit back a bit and not force anything and be reactive on what others are able to do.

The biggest thing in my mind is no real super power in the west. London is shaping up to be that team but no other team is really standing up and slapping us in the face. So the door is open this year with less competition than in most years. I’m not saying everyone else is crap but even the CHL Top 10 only has the two OHL teams in it. Usually there are four!

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG

I agree that this is a year to go for it. BUT on the other hand, we can have a good team if the trades go well so I would not put everything into this year. As to Keating I think he will be hard pressed to get a look above the ECHL. He might be better off building for universityHopefully this weekend starts a downward drop for the Soo.

We need them to drop out of the buyer's window and look to be sellers. At least that will help with the cost of Dipietro or it may even be a better deal for a goalie.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
To me, they have a wide two year window. Next year, the 67’s will likely lose Felhaber, Chmelevski and Clark up front and Hoefenmeyer on the back end. These will all be big losses but between player improvements year over year under this fantastic coaching staff plus a likely increased capacity to recruit top end talent, they will find and develop more great players.

Next year, there won’t be a team in the league that can match a top 5 D of Bahl, Okhotyuk, Rippon, Peric and Wilson. If Belanger can improve next year like Peric has this year look out!

I’d love to see them target either Ty Dellandrea from Flint or Barrett Hayton from the Soo as top end two year guys. Greg Meireles from Kitchener is a good 19 year old local player who will likely be back next year as the third overager along with Keating and Wilson.
It would be great to add a high end 18 y.o. that would fit a two year window. It would cost more but we can afford it. Hayton would be great but comes with a risk as he might be in Phoenix next year...kid is very good.So any trade would have to include conditionnals for next year. Doubt very much the Soo trades him though. I see Delandrea as a more realistic target that might cost less and more unlikely he graduates next year. By all accounts he's a great kid who accepted to go to Flint in all the turmoil at the time. He has also been a good soldier this year so would love to get a kid like that. I think his production would double on this team and he deserves to go to a contender. It would help if he asks out but I don't think he's the type. The more I think about it Barberpole I like your idea, get a 2000 (Delandrea?) , then an OA...Saigeon or Brazeau? Then we would be set up for two years. Also like the idea of going after Meireless next year (or now maybe). Local kid so might come cheaper as teams will do OA's who want to go home favors.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Did not expect that score

Yeah every team needs a 'laugher' every once in a while. I thought the 6-goal first period in Saginaw would be the last one for a while based on the schedule. I'm sure nobody, least of all the Soo, saw 6 goals on 13 shots coming. Good for the boys. Banking some points for later in the season is always a good thing.

Reactions: three dog night

Hmrs

Oct 30, 2018
Question for the group Kody Clark has a late birth date Oct 14 99 is he AHL eligible next year? Or is it NHL or back to the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad