Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckDrop123

Nov 10, 2017
Thoughts on Alec Belanger? Think with a young returning blue line, he’d be hard-pressed to find a spot on the team next year. Perhaps put him in Jr A for a year?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As of now I think that's a possibility. I still think we might trade a D to get a center, goalie etc. If that's the case he probably stays as a seventh D to bring along slowly like Peric last year.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Thoughts on Alec Belanger? Think with a young returning blue line, he’d be hard-pressed to find a spot on the team next year. Perhaps put him in Jr A for a year?

You just never know. I don't think anybody expected Lucas Peric (2017-3-46) to earn a spot last season but he did.

With the immediate needs of this team (#1 goalie, #1 centre), you might expect one of the 2000 D-men to be traded and if Belanger has a good camp/pre-season, he could earn a spot.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
As of now I think that's a possibility. I still think we might trade a D to get a center, goalie etc. If that's the case he probably stays as a seventh D to bring along slowly like Peric last year.

what Sirius said lol (I need to type faster)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Going to be interesting to see how Cranley does at the U17 If he makes the cut on the team would you think him ready for the OHL or do we still Need Dipietro

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
JUst something to wonder. On a hot summer day.

The 67's have had many players come through the system since 93 that have been good players and are now retired.

Kevin Weekes seems happy as a commentator
Campbell has a lot of money and living the good life
Boynton has the concussion syndrome

Alyne MacAuley last I heard was scouting for the Kings
David Bell is coaching for the kings.

Who do you think out of the players that have been here since then would be a good coach.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how Cranley does at the U17 If he makes the cut on the team would you think him ready for the OHL or do we still Need Dipietro

If he does make the team, it'd be in a backup role. There's no way he'd be ready to be the starter on a team who's ready to win now

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

DiPietro is not a NEED. He is a WANT. We do need an experienced goalie with a good track record of performance. If that ends up being DiPietro them all the better.

You cannot judge Cranley based on one tournament, nor on whether he makes an Under 17 team. It is extremely rare a 16 year old goalie takes the reigns in the OHL as a starter and even more rare that they do so on what could be considered a Championship level team.

Preferably, I’d like to snag an OA goalie and keep the assets for other positions. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like there will be any available of note. We are pretty certain DiPietro is available. We are pretty certain the price would be extreme, maybe the highest ever price paid for any one year rental.

What we also know is with he players we have returning, and DiPietro’s track record of performance, we would easily be considered front runners for the Championship. All we would need is to stay healthy and stay away from crippling injuries.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
DiPietro is not a NEED. He is a WANT. We do need an experienced goalie with a good track record of performance. If that ends up being DiPietro them all the better.

You cannot judge Cranley based on one tournament, nor on whether he makes an Under 17 team. It is extremely rare a 16 year old goalie takes the reigns in the OHL as a starter and even more rare that they do so on what could be considered a Championship level team.

Preferably, I’d like to snag an OA goalie and keep the assets for other positions. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like there will be any available of note. We are pretty certain DiPietro is available. We are pretty certain the price would be extreme, maybe the highest ever price paid for any one year rental.

What we also know is with he players we have returning, and DiPietro’s track record of performance, we would easily be considered front runners for the Championship. All we would need is to stay healthy and stay away from crippling injuries.

DiPietro has been a starting goalie in 3 different years and all 3 years his team lost in the first round

No doubt he's a great goalie and the losses can't be put on him, but he really doesn't have a track record of winning. Unless your team is able to back into a free Mem Cup birth, which Ottawa won't be able to do

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
DiPietro has been a starting goalie in 3 different years and all 3 years his team lost in the first round

No doubt he's a great goalie and the losses can't be put on him, but he really doesn't have a track record of winning. Unless your team is able to back into a free Mem Cup birth, which Ottawa won't be able to do

I’d say that is kinda harsh but real. You can argue the Conference strength thing which would be true having to go up against the Knights in round one of 2017. I wouldn’t look at 2016 and 2018 as anything since they weren’t really built for either of those seasons. In fact, they didn’t even have home ice advantage in any of those seasons.

Regardless, I think everyone would agree that DiPietro is the #1 goalie going into the OHL next season. He may have the best credentials of any goalie in the CHL going into next season and will more than likely backstop Team Canada at the WJHC.

Like all other trades, it will come doewn to value. We shall see what kind of value we would need to return.

With respect to winning, I don’t see a clear cut favourite in the East yet. A couple tams will be strong but they will need a lot of tweaking if they want to be considered bonafide front runners.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG I can see a weekes Hillier like set up. The only difference is that hopefully Cranley pays attention not act like Hillier

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG I can see a weekes Hillier like set up. The only difference is that hopefully Cranley pays attention not act like Hillier
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Classic!

The problem is we really don’t know who is available. Right now we do know DiPietro is “likely” available. We just don’t know if it is right away or after the WJHC.

I’d love a Weekese-Hillier situation if there is a Weekes type goalie out there. I just don’t see another team with a Jamie Storr that the trading team is trying to make room for.

It looks like a seriously dry goalie market as of right now...but what do I know?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I would think that it will be sooner than the WJ but definitely not until the euro goalie has proven himself unless they get a sweetheart deal

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

For those who think Chmelevski is a right winger (myself included), it appears those at USA Hockey see it differently.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Two years ago I also saw him as a right wing, but changed my mind last year. I thought he did well on both sides of the puck. Nice to see him on the first line!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Two years ago I also saw him as a right wing, but changed my mind last year. I thought he did well on both sides of the puck. Nice to see him on the first line!

I will admit the 2nd half of last season showed much better than the rest of his career to date. That said, a shift to Right Wing would make him a bonafide sniper.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I will admit the 2nd half of last season showed much better than the rest of his career to date. That said, a shift to Right Wing would make him a bonafide sniper.
No doubt he'd score a lot but the reality is he is by far our #1 center and we have nobody right now to replace him should he go to the wing, so its kind of a moot point. I think he's gonna be a top five center in this league this year. Besides right wing is fine with Felhaber ( if they play him on right agai), Clark, Clarke and watch out for Quinn.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
(split squad blue) defeats
1f1e8-1f1e6.png
(split squad white) 3-2 at the World Junior Summer Showcase in Kamloops

Chmelevski (2) and Hutsko scored for USA
Tkachuk with a nice assist on the GWG

Glass, Hayton score for Canada

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
1f1e8-1f1e6.png

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
1f1e8-1f1e6.png

I think Chmelevski will have a stellar year if healthy. It will be a matter of finding chemistry amongst the lines. We’ll see who he ends up playing with. I assume Felhaber will flank him on one side. I am not sure who will on the other but I’d like to see Keating with those two. Load it up with fire power. Why not?

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Looking at our potential line up for next year we have discussed on this board the need for a goalie and a top 6 center. Goalie is a given but I wonder if we should target a top 6 left wing OA instead. I agree with OMG we put Keating on first line with Chem/ Felhaber. But who do we put with Clark/ Hoelscher on the second line? Options are Bitten, Yule, Losev Boomhower at this point. I don't see any of those as a top 6 barring a huge year two jump from Bitten. Frankly I see Bitten on third line and Yule on fourth. Do not think the other two will make the team. I'm not too worried about center as either Hoelscher or Rossi will likely grow in the number two center role by year end and having a 7th overall as your fourth line center is not bad.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Just throwing this out there. I know that someone on here suggested trading for Michael McLeod. How about a package for McLeod and G Jacob Ingham. I know Ingham stumbled in his sophomore year last year, but he was stellar as a rookie. He didn't have much help on the defensive end last year either. He would also be here for at least two more years. Missy is looking for defensive help, which we have plenty of, as well as picks. I would rather pay a good price for those two, rather than be held ransom by Windsor for DiPietro.

Just hypothetical, as it may be a non-starter with the rumours that McLeod (or McLeod family) only wants to play in Mississauga.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Just throwing this out there. I know that someone on here suggested trading for Michael McLeod. How about a package for McLeod and G Jacob Ingham. I know Ingham stumbled in his sophomore year last year, but he was stellar as a rookie. He didn't have much help on the defensive end last year either. He would also be here for at least two more years. Missy is looking for defensive help, which we have plenty of, as well as picks. I would rather pay a good price for those two, rather than be held ransom by Windsor for DiPietro.

Just hypothetical, as it may be a non-starter with the rumours that McLeod (or McLeod family) only wants to play in Mississauga.

Looks like Ingham is locked in as Missy's #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->