Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With all the import goalies selected and (new rule of 1st year import trade window at Christmas break?), there could be a few good options in addition to DiPietro.
I realize Rossi & Ohotuk are not going anywhere, just more G on the market

Good point. We don’t have Import space with two high profile Imports but like you say, an Import not he move could negate an existing goalie and free that one up for a potential deal. The plot thickens!

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Went to my 3rd game of the year on Sunday versus the Soo..

What a great game. You can tell the players are starting to really get comfortable with each other. A lot of set plays where the guys just trusted that their teammate would be there and for the most part they were. Really awesome to see and makes for some great hockey to watch.

One guy that I just keep seeing anytime he's on the ice is Merrick Rippon. He's really noticeable out there in a good way. That hip check was a thing of beauty.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Why NO tv courage for tonight's game.

The Gatineau Olympiques game is on Rogers French.

Last edited:

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
The top line of Felhaber, Rossi and Keating was unreal. Some serious speed and skill there. Nice to see Chmelevski get his first goal. Andrée was on fire in the third period. That kid has some pretty sharp reflexes.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The fact that it was a bottom feeder like Kingston had a lot to do with it. Might have got a few more fans if it was the Petes or a top team.

That being said 1400 attendance for a weekday is not a bad thing. In order to come out during the week, there has to be a driving focus for the team which they have not gotten to that point.

Reactions: three dog night

Sep 24, 2018
I have been to the last 2 games and it is nice to see the Rossi,Keating Felhaber Line in action.
I was happy for Sasha getting a beauty of a goal but I think he needs at least a top line winger to go along with himself and Clark.
Perhaps a trade is in order.
As for goal tending Andree seems solid as the defence is playing well.
Now the debate of should we plan on getting a veteran goalie or go through the development of Andree and plan on next year to be the year and what ever happens this year is a bonus and you just never know.
I would rather trade for 18 year old offensive d man and 18 year old top wingers for next years memorial cup

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
I am loving how this team has been playing, other than when on the Power Play. Somehow, the team has had 34 power plays and has only scored 4 goals while allowing 7 shorties.The next worst team in the league for shorties allowed are Flint, Erie and North Bay with TWO apiece.

Additionally, the team is 15th in PK, allowing 8 goals and scoring one short handed. All told, on special teams, they have scored 5 goals and allowed 15, which tells you just how good they are at even strength to find themselves with a 6-3 record to date.

OMG's ask for a PP QB are starting to resonate. I wonder what Jordan Sambrook would cost from SSM as an overager. What would a package of Matthew Villalta, Jordan Sambrook and Barrett Hayton from SSM cost? They would fill all the holes on this team but would cost a TON.

Last edited:

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I am loving how this team has been playing, other than when on the Power Play. Somehow, the team has had 34 power plays and has only scored 4 goals while allowing 7 shorties.The next worst team in the league for shorties allowed are Flint, Erie and North Bay with TWO apiece.

Additionally, the team is 15th in PK, allowing 8 goals and scoring one short handed. All told, on special teams, they have scored 5 goals and allowed 15, which tells you just how good they are at even strength to find themselves with a 6-3 record to date.

OMG's ask for a PP QB are starting to resonate. I wonder what Jordan Sambrook would cost from SSM as an overager. What would a package of Matthew Villalta, Jordan Sambrook and Barrett Hayton from SSM cost? They would fill all the holes on this team but would cost a TON.

PP is currently 13th at 11.8%. Last season the 67's finished 16th at 16.4%. To be a top-10 team you have to be above 20% and top-5 around 25%.

Sample size is not enough to gauge properly. Don't forget a 5 second PP counts as a PP just like a 2 or 4 or 5 minute one. The 7 SHGA is disturbing as that was the total for 68 games last season.

PP, IMHO, is all about zone entry/puck retrieval, puck movement to create a clear lane or 2-on-1, and finish. When you give up 7 SHGA, that's not about entry/retrieval or finish, it's about puck movement. Puck movement is all about decision making and execution. I believe the skill level is there for the most part but the decision making (hockey IQ) is lacking in either the individuals or the combinations on the ice. All passes on the PP should be very high percentage, not 'wow if I make this pass imagine how open my team mate will be'. In nearly all of the 7 SHGA, the opposing team had odd man rushes due to very poor decision making. This clearly needs to be addressed and can't be remedied just by acquiring a veteran PP QB via trade.

PK is currently 15th at 77.1%. Last season the 67's finished 14th at 78.7%. To be a top-10 team you have to be in the low 80s% and top-5 around 90%. Again, sample size is important as 5-on-3s count the same as 5-on-4s and portions the same as full ones. One thing curious about last season was that after the trade deadline, where Ottawa had hovered around 6-7-8th and around 80% using, primarily Hoelscher-Yule and Bitten-Keating, Cascagnette started to get significant PK minutes and, obviously not only his fault, the team fell to 15th. Having said that, everyone knows a team's best penalty killer is the guy in net and last season the goaltending was far below par.

The OHL is a special teams league. Ask any coach or GM. Both of Ottawa's special teams need to improve drastically if they hope to contend in the spring.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agree that is a small sample size; especially, considering (5/7?) SH GA were in one game vs Petes

Yooper

Mar 19, 2018
Sambrook wouldn't be the guy you'd want running the power play. Solid defenseman but not very offensive. Hollowell would be your guy in that regard. Great puck mover and extremely good skater. Not afraid to hit for his size when need be. As far as Villalta and Hayton being in a package with one of the OA defenseman, the price would be steep. I dont see Hayton being traded before Frost anyway. Plus I think Raftis is going to give the new coach some time to see how the team comes together prior to the deadline before he decides to sell off the big pieces.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
Posters on the Windsor thread are saying the Spits have brought 3 goalies on their eastern trip. Probably as a precaution if one of their goalies would be hurt......

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
What they are saying is there are 3 goalies listed on their roster - nobody said all 3 are making the trip, that is yet to be confirmed.

On the radio broadcast, they mentioned that Warren Rychel was at Wednesday's game. While it would be common for an opposing GM to scout before a game, when combined with three goalies making the trip one has to wonder if the much rumoured deal may be finally coming to fruition.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
On the radio broadcast, they mentioned that Warren Rychel was at Wednesday's game. While it would be common for an opposing GM to scout before a game, when combined with three goalies making the trip one has to wonder if the much rumoured deal may be finally coming to fruition.
Not sure you can read too much into that. All GM’a are scouting as many teams as they can this time of year. Also, when we had 3 goalies last year, all 3 were on every road trip, as far as I know (until there were 2).

Runback

Jul 26, 2014
Hopefully this will slow down the sell off the future for a goalie talk. At least for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad