Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With two open overage spots, I'd rather see the team pursue somebody like Kyle Maksimovich from Erie or Justin Brazeau from North Bay. As opposed to young player + 6-10 draft picks for a 19 year old Robertson, a good OA Forward may cost 2 x 2nd rounders and a couple of other pieces.

But yes, Robertson would look really good on a line with Sasha Chmelevski.

Agreed. This team doesn’t need a scoring forward. It would be classified as a want moreso than a need.

I know there is a lot of chest pumping going on right now but we have played a bunch of average to below average teams at home on this streak. We are in Niagara on Thursday. That should be a good test regardless of Niagara’s average start. They are our real competition in the East this year. The follow up games in Erie and Mississauga should be an easier test but that Niagara game is the one I am anxious to see. A solid road test.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Agreed. This team doesn’t need a scoring forward. It would be classified as a want moreso than a need.

I know there is a lot of chest pumping going on right now but we have played a bunch of average to below average teams at home on this streak. We are in Niagara on Thursday. That should be a good test regardless of Niagara’s average start. They are our real competition in the East this year. The follow up games in Erie and Mississauga should be an easier test but that Niagara game is the one I am anxious to see. A solid road test.
It’s great to see so many east teams being competitive not only in the east but also in some key west games. Matches between Ottawa, Niagara, Peterborough, Oshawa, Missy and Barrie should all be real dandy’s!

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If they could get a big 2ndline player for Rossi I think it would be a good thing. Down the stretch, people are going to be taking shots at him.

Sep 24, 2018
I believe it would be a huge mistake to do anything to the Keats, Felhaber,Rossi line.
You are right they need a good winger but it would be for Sasha line which I believe will compete with the KFR line shortly as I see Sasha starting to get into the groove and a winger would make it that we have 2 first Lines
Our third line will be good when Tolnai gets more use to this level of play. You can see he is progressing each game and by Xmas he will be a threat as well.
I say he and Clarke and Clark are going to be hot in a few weeks.
We need 1 all star winger and Dipetro who would flourish here rather then Windsor.
Cup team for sure

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

Ottawa should take care of Niagara on Thursday. The Dogs are missing 3 of their defencemen, possibly four. They've been going with a makeshift defence for a couple weeks, to the point they've had one of the forwards playing defence. Ham and Hunter haven't played a game this year (and likely won't this week) They lost Roberts last week (also unlikely to play) Their first round pick Leyton Moore took a headcheck yesterday in Sudbury and didn't return for the third period. Niagara also plays on the road Wednesday. It's too bad, as it would have been a good measuring stick for the two teams to see where they are at. I'm afraid this game won't be a true indication of how these two match-up.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa should take care of Niagara on Thursday. The Dogs are missing 3 of their defencemen, possibly four. They've been going with a makeshift defence for a couple weeks, to the point they've had one of the forwards playing defence. Ham and Hunter haven't played a game this year (and likely won't this week) They lost Roberts last week (also unlikely to play) Their first round pick Leyton Moore took a headcheck yesterday in Sudbury and didn't return for the third period. Niagara also plays on the road Wednesday. It's too bad, as it would have been a good measuring stick for the two teams to see where they are at. I'm afraid this game won't be a true indication of how these two match-up.

That sucks. I know both teams would want that stick out. But, Niagara is at home and are a strong home team so there may be some balance there. As you mentioned, if Ottawa wins with that many incumbrances on The Dogs, it wouldn’t be a surprise.

We’ll have to wait until the next matchup.

Reactions: three dog night

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Moore should play other teams have not really taken advantage of our situation.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Arn’t the three that are missing undrafted?
Most would say that they are not even the top three, I mean, with the way the Future Stars like #12 & #68 are playing those would be your top D.
Don’t let those Ice Dogs fan fool you OMG, it won’t be a cakewalk come Thursday night.

Ice Dogs usually get a quick lead at home, then, it will be difficult to penetrate that D. They will score 5 on 5, not so much on the power play. But, their PP is due to click with that firepower and 5 forwards on the ice for the first unit.

Best bet would be no trade punches with them till after the 20 minutes. Hey will shoot often and from anwhere.

Keep the forcheck pressure up getting pucks deep, they Tend to throw it up blindly at times.
Get to the net to get your goals on the short rebounds.

67hockeyfan

Sep 30, 2017
That sucks. I know both teams would want that stick out. But, Niagara is at home and are a strong home team so there may be some balance there. As you mentioned, if Ottawa wins with that many incumbrances on The Dogs, it wouldn’t be a surprise.

We’ll have to wait until the next matchup.
Erie was supposed to be an easy game. The Otters were a 6-on-4, Empty Net, Power Play goal away from tying it up on Sunday and then OT could have been anybody’s game.

Missing players or not, Niagara will be a good test, especially at home.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Please do not jinx things. Personally, I hate when people start to say that a team is going to be a CUP TEAM.

All I expect of this team is exciting hockey and a top 4 conference finish. Once they have that chemistry then we can look at how far this team should go in the playoffs. No One goes from a crap team to a Mem team in one year Sorry.

Reactions: VimyRidge

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Arn’t the three that are missing undrafted?
Most would say that they are not even the top three, I mean, with the way the Future Stars like #12 & #68 are playing those would be your top D.
Don’t let those Ice Dogs fan fool you OMG, it won’t be a cakewalk come Thursday night.

Ice Dogs usually get a quick lead at home, then, it will be difficult to penetrate that D. They will score 5 on 5, not so much on the power play. But, their PP is due to click with that firepower and 5 forwards on the ice for the first unit.

Best bet would be no trade punches with them till after the 20 minutes. Hey will shoot often and from anwhere.

Keep the forcheck pressure up getting pucks deep, they Tend to throw it up blindly at times.
Get to the net to get your goals on the short rebounds.
Just because the injured defence men were not drafted does not mean there good and Ottawa hardly wins in Niagara.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

Congrats to all 3.

This may be problematic as I know of no other goaltender signed who could back up Andree while Cranley is at U17. Also not sure of the dates of this and WJHC 2nd tier, where Rossi will certainly represent Austria, and if there may be overlap. With only Crete and Belanger signed (as far as I am aware), 67's could be shorthanded for a few games.

Reactions: BarberPole9

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

Congrats to all 3.

This may be problematic as I know of no other goaltender signed who could back up Andree while Cranley is at U17. Also not sure of the dates of this and WJHC 2nd tier, where Rossi will certainly represent Austria, and if there may be overlap. With only Crete and Belanger signed (as far as I am aware), 67's could be shorthanded for a few games.

I am pretty sure that Seva Losev is still affiliated with the team so he and Crete could step in for Tolnai and Maggio.

There isn't overlap with the U17 Schedule and Scores

It looks like Austria is in the Tier 2 WJC 2018 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships – Division I - Wikipedia

Realistically, for the Tier 1 WJC all of Sasha (Team USA), Nikita Okhotyuk (Russia) and Kevin Bahl (Team Canada) are realistic candidates for their countries. They have Belanger available to step in on D but if both Okhotyuk and Bahl make their respective teams, that would still only leave 5 total D with Belanger in the lineup. I wonder if Bruce Coltart ( Bruce Coltart at eliteprospects.com ) is somebody that they may look at. He was at their camp and has done very well in the CCHL the last year and change for a young player.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
On a side note, it is impressive that 67's have three direct players on the U17 roster, as well as Ambrosio who was drafted as well on top of solid prospects in Crete and Belanger who aren't on the list. That is a heck of a foundation for the years ahead!

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
The IDs injury situation is a major concern. The three injured defenceman made huge strides last year and were ready to take the step forward. ham, hunter and roberts were the principal reason for the IDs regular season and playoffs success last year. And now it looks like moore could be out too. IDs will battle but ottawa is too good. I fully expect them to expose this patchwork d and win easily.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Andree going to be a tired puppy. Good chance for a CJHL goalie to come up

I noticed that people had us losing 3 players for WJC.

The Russians are not in the habit of using players like Okytuk However you never know.

Is Bahl ready for the WJC again they are not usually using just drafted talent?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I noticed that people had us losing 3 players for WJC.

The Russians are not in the habit of using players like Okytuk However you never know.

Is Bahl ready for the WJC again they are not usually using just drafted talent?

Okhotyuk was Russian team captain for the under-18s so I would assume he'd play on the under-20 team.

Bahl is highly regarded playing through all of the team Canada excellence program.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
The IDs injury situation is a major concern. The three injured defenceman made huge strides last year and were ready to take the step forward. ham, hunter and roberts were the principal reason for the IDs regular season and playoffs success last year. And now it looks like moore could be out too. IDs will battle but ottawa is too good. I fully expect them to expose this patchwork d and win easily.
Ham may play and Moore is not out

Reactions: Sam14

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

The assumption is Ottawa has no 3rd goalie signed.

"Good chance" indeed but which CJHL goalie is going to give up his NCAA eligibility for the chance to play a week or 2 in the O? Also Ottawa would have to fork out 1 year of education cost (likely $12-14 grand) if the goalie was younger than a '99. Not good use of resources. It seems to me far more likely Ottawa picks up an OA goalie (who's NCAA eligibility is already gone and education package already maxed), who's still looking for a team or a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of OHL GMs, on a cash deal.

For example, (and no, I don't know any inside info) Olivier Lafreniere is putting up terrific numbers with Wellington in the OJ although his rights are still owned by Owen Sound.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The assumption is Ottawa has no 3rd goalie signed.

"Good chance" indeed but which CJHL goalie is going to give up his NCAA eligibility for the chance to play a week or 2 in the O? Also Ottawa would have to fork out 1 year of education cost (likely $12-14 grand) if the goalie was younger than a '99. Not good use of resources. It seems to me far more likely Ottawa picks up an OA goalie (who's NCAA eligibility is already gone and education package already maxed), who's still looking for a team or a chance to redeem himself in the eyes of OHL GMs, on a cash deal.

For example, (and no, I don't know any inside info) Olivier Lafreniere is putting up terrific numbers with Wellington in the OJ although his rights are still owned by Owen Sound.

Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad