Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It will be interesting to see if Gross plays the next game.

I think that you have to look at the fact that the speed and fresh legs overcame.

Dipietro has to play better
Players have to remember that Keyser is wanky on upper glove side shots.

Good game great play now let's see what happens.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Great comeback :thumbu: Game wouldn’t have been close without some heroics by Keyser. Goaltending kept them in, extremely cheap call and they have the skill up front to be opportunistic I agree, DiPietro looked a little off at times, you’ll need him to zero in as Keyser is the only wildcard. Man that Chemelevski is a hell of a player.
That was just a taste of the onslaught the 67’s should bring going forward.
Man I got a good laugh out of Gross channeling his inner Maksivov. Way to torpedo your team.

Come out even stronger Saturday. 67’s for league champs. Loved the interview with Milley. I can you assure you Norm you’ll always have a place in our hearts too. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
In case anyone was wondering I was reading the Oshawa board (or the two or three posts) and I come back bearing great wisdom.
For those of you wondering why Ottawa won tonight, it would appear it’s because Sudbury was a “weak” team that didn’t challenge them and so they were very fresh while the poor Gens “ran out of gas” No mention of how Keyser was the only reason they were ever even in the game. Can you believe it? Man how I’m relishing this win and looking forward to the 67’s kicking their ass. That alone is worth the price of the pack for the rest of the season. Like Megadeth says; Crush em!

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Every now and then the 67s defense were in a very giving manner. Dipietro was not at his best but the 1st goal a give away right in front of the net, 2nd a 2 on 1 down low, 3rd pass to Saigeon right in front and the 4th was a very good shot on another poor play in their own end.

They have the offensive power but the defense has to tighten up. Hopefully it was just the rust from the layoff showing.

I wish them all the luck, but they are probably not going to get 6 goals by Keyser every game so try and cut down on mistakes in you own zone.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Every now and then the 67s defense were in a very giving manner. Dipietro was not at his best but the 1st goal a give away right in front of the net, 2nd a 2 on 1 down low, 3rd pass to Saigeon right in front and the 4th was a very good shot on another poor play in their own end.

They have the offensive power but the defense has to tighten up. Hopefully it was just the rust from the layoff showing.

I wish them all the luck, but they are probably not going to get 6 goals by Keyser every game so try and cut down on mistakes in you own zone.
Agree, was Dipietro stellar? No but he made the saves he should make just didn't steal a few. In my view none were weak goals as they were high quality shots from the slot. A few posters are being a bit hard on him (looking at you beast:);)). Expectations in view of his reputation perhaps. All and all he's made key saves when we've needed them in these playoffs imo and had a few gems.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Agree, was Dipietro stellar? No but he made the saves he should make just didn't steal a few. In my view none were weak goals as they were high quality shots from the slot. A few posters are being a bit hard on him (looking at you beast:);)). Expectations in view of his reputation perhaps. All and all he's made key saves when we've needed them in these playoffs imo and had a few gems.

.906 save% isn’t horrible but it isn’t Mikey DiPietro good either. When you consider the Defense in front of him, you would think he would be in that .915 to .925 range. It’s still a small sample size though, only 9 games.

I agree he has made saves for sure. I just don’t like the Grant Fuhr syndrome that seems to be happening. Making the saves to keep the team in the game but letting weak ones by with leads etc.

boknows

Oct 15, 2015
I see that you have already got 4 new commitments for next year. That should bode well for next few years by keeping the pipeline full and hopefully encourage team to bid for hosting Mem Cup

Reactions: BarberPole9

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
.906 save% isn’t horrible but it isn’t Mikey DiPietro good either. When you consider the Defense in front of him, you would think he would be in that .915 to .925 range. It’s still a small sample size though, only 9 games.

I agree he has made saves for sure. I just don’t like the Grant Fuhr syndrome that seems to be happening. Making the saves to keep the team in the game but letting weak ones by with leads etc.

As I said previously, GAA and SV% are really irrelevant in the playoffs. Ws are all that matter and Mikey has 9 (in 9 tries).

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Sirius I am hard on him because he was supposed to be the be all and end all and that he would make the big saves.

So far like was said by walls and others he seems to play good enough to win but not good enough to be a game changer.

He was OK in the regular season and has been ok in the playoffs but we did not get him to be OK. We got him to be outstanding. To make those stops that are important. Last night was the first time he has been tested in the playoffs and IMNSHO he was found wanting.
If he does not improve he may be playing in the Echl next year he is nowhere near ready for the NHL. Keyser is outplaying him
3 goals on 9 shots is not an all-star goalie.
Shit that record will get him nothing. Maybe he is the next coming of Craig Hillier. LOL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sirius I am hard on him because he was supposed to be the be all and end all and that he would make the big saves.

So far like was said by walls and others he seems to play good enough to win but not good enough to be a game changer.

He was OK in the regular season and has been ok in the playoffs but we did not get him to be OK. We got him to be outstanding. To make those stops that are important. Last night was the first time he has been tested in the playoffs and IMNSHO he was found wanting.
If he does not improve he may be playing in the Echl next year he is nowhere near ready for the NHL. Keyser is outplaying him
3 goals on 9 shots is not an all-star goalie.
**** that record will get him nothing. Maybe he is the next coming of Craig Hillier. LOL

There is no doubt MD has not been himself. He has had a tough year. A lot of adjustments made professionally. Bad result at the WJHC, traded from Windsor to Ottawa, NHL debut was horrid, and he really hasn’t had a mental break at all.

I am sure he will return to form next year after a solid mental break in the summer. For now, he is playing good enough to win and he is making saves. Like Sirius said, he is making the saves he is supposed to make, just not stealing much.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
There is no doubt MD has not been himself. He has had a tough year. A lot of adjustments made professionally. Bad result at the WJHC, traded from Windsor to Ottawa, NHL debut was horrid, and he really hasn’t had a mental break at all.

I am sure he will return to form next year after a solid mental break in the summer. For now, he is playing good enough to win and he is making saves. Like Sirius said, he is making the saves he is supposed to make, just not stealing much.
I hope DiPietro regains his full confidence. He’s an outstanding kid.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I hope DiPietro regains his full confidence. He’s an outstanding kid.

He may but I doubt it. I think what we are seeing now is how he will finish the season, a solid goalie that will make all the saves he should, maybe give up a weak one now and ten, and keep his team in games. I don’t see him stealing wins by himself. Plus, I doubt the 67’s will give him much of an opportunity to NEED to steal games.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
He may but I doubt it. I think what we are seeing now is how he will finish the season, a solid goalie that will make all the saves he should, maybe give up a weak one now and ten, and keep his team in games. I don’t see him stealing wins by himself. Plus, I doubt the 67’s will give him much of an opportunity to NEED to steal games.
What do you think is wrong? Man he made outstanding saves look routine in Windsor but he doesn’t inspire the same confidence right now and was definitely outplayed by Keyser.
67’s reminded me of the Habs back in the day when they could be down a couple goals, find another gear and comeback. It’s early but for me that was the game the Gennies needed to steal.

Last edited:
Reactions: sirius67fan

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

OMG this is so right on the money. When a goalie has to steal a game it suggests that the team in front of him had no business winning. When was the last time this 67's played poorly enough to have no business winning? Post deadline weekend at London and Guelph.

UPL stole games all season for Sudbury and Ottawa shelled him for 24 goals in 4 games. I'm not sure if Keyser stole games for Oshawa this season. He almost did Thursday then, boom, a six-pack.

I think everybody needs to chill out about DiPietro. When he lets in 5, his team gets 8 (twice!). Thursday he let in 4, and on only 20 shots. HOLY MACKEREL that's only a .800 SV%! Oh but his team got 6. Nine wins in a row is the only stat that matters right now. As soon as that stops, maybe it'll be time to put his performance under the microscope. For now, like golf, they don't ask how, they ask how many.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
OMG this is so right on the money. When a goalie has to steal a game it suggests that the team in front of him had no business winning. When was the last time this 67's played poorly enough to have no business winning? Post deadline weekend at London and Guelph.

UPL stole games all season for Sudbury and Ottawa shelled him for 24 goals in 4 games. I'm not sure if Keyser stole games for Oshawa this season. He almost did Thursday then, boom, a six-pack.

I think everybody needs to chill out about DiPietro. When he lets in 5, his team gets 8 (twice!). Thursday he let in 4, and on only 20 shots. HOLY MACKEREL that's only a .800 SV%! Oh but his team got 6. Nine wins in a row is the only stat that matters right now. As soon as that stops, maybe it'll be time to put his performance under the microscope. For now, like golf, they don't ask how, they ask how many.
Again, UPL “stole” games early on but less and less as the season went on and the team learned good structure. It burns me that this is always overlooked. Also, you only saw UPL at his best a total of one game in the series. Game four in Sudbury, not sure if you watched but we didn’t always see that kind of performance down the stretch or in the playoffs for that matter.
Finally if you have to ask whether or not Keyser “stole” games for Oshawa, you definitely haven’t watched many Gennies games this season. I routinely did and I think it’s safe to say it’s common knowledge among those in the know that Keyser most definitely did steal games and like UPL, played a major role in the Gennies success.
It’s a given you need outstanding goaltending to win a championship so I don’t think you can be complacent about Mikey. You need him at his best when he’s really challenged. It’s not like he can turn on a light bulb. The Oilers May have won games 8-5 in the 80’s but they didn’t win a championship until they learned to win close, low scoring games. It takes top notch goaltending for that.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I am not saying that he has to steal games. That is far from what I am looking for. What I am looking for is the player that gives the team confidence. 3 goals on 9 shots are not what I would expect from a goalie that wants to lay in the NHL.

I am looking for a goalie that will be able to stop teams like the Q and WHL champs. Let's face it the longer you go the harder it gets. Yes we are the top team in the OHL BUT we need everyone hitting on al cylinders and playing lights out hockey all the time not playing .666 save percentage.

This is a series between a really hot goalie (Keyser) and a team that like to score. If Keyser Oshawa through away the last period with stupid penalties. If Keyser had of played ike he did against Niagara then those goals could have been the difference.

You can be rest assured that the Canucks are watching and wondering also.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I don't know how people are saying thet Dipietro should have stopped those goals last game. Neuman handed a gift right in front of the net, same for Saigeon, a 2 on 1 down low and another perfect shot.

Keyser didn't fair any better when we got some grade A chances.

You expect the good goalies to make saves but these would have to have been of the spectacular nature for both.

Defense on both sides was very suspect at times.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Here is an interesting question not based on who is hot but on keeping players healthy.

We have a home and home with Oshawa. Yes, Dipietro has done what was needed. Not going to prolong that talk. BUT
considering that it is 3 games in 4 days would it be a good idea to play Andree against them in Oshawa.

Let's face it his stats against the Gens is pretty good as well

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I don't think so Beast for two reasons. One Dipietro has been good (agreed not stellar). Two Andree has not played in what three weeks? Three ( yes I'm adding one) you don't mess with a winning formula.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Apparently a sell out, place should be rocking like the good old days. Can't wait. Go Poles!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As per Kenny Walls Bitten gets 1 game for his cross check at end of last game. Sounds about right, hopefully they learn not to do stuff like that when game is done and won. Boilers was just looking to stir things up and he did his job, good on him. Just skate away boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad