Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
67’s third-round pick Teddy Sawyer officially commits to team - Ottawa 67s

This is fantastic news- he was my favourite player in the scrimmage- reminds me of a combination of Belanger's skating and Rippon's physicality- he was a player that we noticed every time that he was on the ice.

The team will likely have to move at least one Defenceman in the offseason to make room for both Matier and Sawyer.
67’s third-round pick Teddy Sawyer officially commits to team - Ottawa 67s

This is fantastic news- he was my favourite player in the scrimmage- reminds me of a combination of Belanger's skating and Rippon's physicality- he was a player that we noticed every time that he was on the ice.

The team will likely have to move at least one Defenceman in the offseason to make room for both Matier and Sawyer.

Just because he committed doesn’t mean he is signed nor does it mean he will play next season.

HE will probably play a developmental year somewhere unless he makes the team out of training camp. I doubt they dress four 16 year olds next year.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
With a lot of our D going to be away at NHL camps, Sawyer should get the ice time and game time to show what he can do.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Just because he committed doesn’t mean he is signed nor does it mean he will play next season.

HE will probably play a developmental year somewhere unless he makes the team out of training camp. I doubt they dress four 16 year olds next year.

That's very unusual verbiage and I'm surprised the 67's announced it that way. "Committed" is usually what OHL draft eligible players say about some D1 college (usually about 2 years before a school can 'commit' to him). If a player doesn't sign his OHL SPA then he's just another drafted prospect. Very strange.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That's very unusual verbiage and I'm surprised the 67's announced it that way. "Committed" is usually what OHL draft eligible players say about some D1 college (usually about 2 years before a school can 'commit' to him). If a player doesn't sign his OHL SPA then he's just another drafted prospect. Very strange.

I think it means the 67’s have committed to the first three picks and signed them. They will make room on the roster for them. I think in this case, Sawyer is committed to the 67’s and now it is up to Ottawa to actually sign him.

Personally, I don’t think there is roster space for him. It depends on what they do next year, push for a championship or do a small reboot. If they push for a Championship, I doubt Matier will even play much if at all barring injuries to the top 6.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa

Out of curiosity, did you watch the Prospects game? He was the best player on the ice IMO.

FWIW, Sudbury announced today that their top pick had committed as well. Maybe the verbiage has to do with the type of deal (gold package vs standard agreement)?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Out of curiosity, did you watch the Prospects game? He was the best player on the ice IMO.

FWIW, Sudbury announced today that their top pick had committed as well. Maybe the verbiage has to do with the type of deal (gold package vs standard agreement)?

Only four can sign and play. We already signed three. Why not sign him and announce it as a signing?

To me it means he is not prepared to leave home at 16 and sit in the press box which is where he’ll be sitting, right beside Matier. It is better for him to play at home and get minutes than it is for him to eat hot dogs in the press box.

He could very well end up being the best player at camp and the clear best rookie in exhibition. If that’s the case, they sign him, maybe.

We have to remember we only get 30 cards. We cannot waste them on players that simply won’t play. You can sign him to a development card which allows him to play some games and also play during the Christmas break. But, we need to keep cards open for roster flexibility. So there could be strategic situations on both sides that keep him from playing this year.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Whatever the case he's an american who has or it appears will sign. Good sign for our program if we start attracting these kids. I agree with BP he looked good on the ice but like all the other kids its against his peers not 18/19 y.o. As OMG says though I only see him in two years barring major upheaval of the roster or injuries. Matier as a first rounder will be the seventh D but I suspect he'll get decent shielded minutes between injuries and Bahl/Okhotiuk likely at world juniors. Perfect situation for a young D.

Reactions: BarberPole9

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Just to clarify I know you can only play 4 16 y.o. (+emergency call ups for 10 games). Am I correct in saying they can sign as many as they want but only count towards the thirty cards once they play a game?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If he is an American then committing to the 67 team means that he has no intention of going the NCAA route. It also means that he will commit to doing whatever they want him to do in the offseason and will be here for the full camp and not just coke and hot dog and see you like NCAA eligible players have to do.
Will he make the team it is now all up to him.
Put in the work and show Boyd and the coaches what he has.

I agree that there is a log jam at defence BUT if he comes to camp and he and Matier play well then it might open up a chance to trade Wilson and free up an OA slot for forward at the deadline.

Second guessing sucks. Right NOW we are in the hunt for the cup let's concentrate on that and let September decide what happens in September.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Just to clarify I know you can only play 4 16 y.o. (+emergency call ups for 10 games). Am I correct in saying they can sign as many as they want but only count towards the thirty cards once they play a game?

I believe they mostly sign development cards as rookies. Once they play their 10th game they have to be signed to a regular card. I don’t believe games during the Christmas break count towards their games.

You can only sign four 16 year olds. Three have to be your first three picks. The fourth can be anyone, I believe. So, the 67’s should wait until after training camp to sign anyone else.

Just because they sign contracts, it doesn’t mean they have a roster spot or are taking a card.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
They have their top 4 (high quality) prospects signed which is a positive moving forward. An additional 2 D & 2 F plus their other signed players gives them lots of flexibility, competition and options going into training camp, and the early part of the season where they may not have full numbers. Go 67's Go!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think it means the 67’s have committed to the first three picks and signed them. They will make room on the roster for them. I think in this case, Sawyer is committed to the 67’s and now it is up to Ottawa to actually sign him.

Personally, I don’t think there is roster space for him. It depends on what they do next year, push for a championship or do a small reboot. If they push for a Championship, I doubt Matier will even play much if at all barring injuries to the top 6.

the word 'committed' means signed, ohl teams dont just announce 'hey, this guy likes us
:sarcasm:

'Sawyer is the fourth player from the 67’s 2019 Draft Class to commit to the team,' basically means they all have signed

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
If he is an American then committing to the 67 team means that he has no intention of going the NCAA route. It also means that he will commit to doing whatever they want him to do in the offseason and will be here for the full camp and not just coke and hot dog and see you like NCAA eligible players have to do.
Will he make the team it is now all up to him.
Put in the work and show Boyd and the coaches what he has.

I agree that there is a log jam at defence BUT if he comes to camp and he and Matier play well then it might open up a chance to trade Wilson and free up an OA slot for forward at the deadline.

Second guessing sucks. Right NOW we are in the hunt for the cup let's concentrate on that and let September decide what happens in September.
No kidding man :) This reminds of the quote (often incorrectly attributed to Lennon who may have popularized it but wasn’t the first to say it) “Life is what happens to you while you’re busing making other plans” or in this case speculating about the future rather than enjoying the present. Same on every board and it’s somethIng I don’t care for. After all, everyone speculated the Lightning would get swept in the first round right :sarcasm:
Enjoy your run, they can be few and far between. The future is now for the 7’s.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Wow, good for Ottawa, they’ve struggled with attendence.

Have they? You'd think with how much of a hot dumpster fire the local NHL team and its ownership is, that people would look to the exciting, high profile, and downtown-located junior team for a live hockey fix this season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I believe they mostly sign development cards as rookies. Once they play their 10th game they have to be signed to a regular card. I don’t believe games during the Christmas break count towards their games.

You can only sign four 16 year olds. Three have to be your first three picks. The fourth can be anyone, I believe. So, the 67’s should wait until after training camp to sign anyone else.

Just because they sign contracts, it doesn’t mean they have a roster spot or are taking a card.
This is true, although the first 3 picks part is news to me.

Last season we signed Robert Calisti and he played 6 games with us to start the season. Then Rasmus Sandin came over, and we ended up sending Robert Calisti to a Junior A club for the rest of the season. He retroactively became an affiliate player for us, since he played fewer than 10 games for us and more than 10 games in Junior A. We didn't have to use a card on him.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This is true, although the first 3 picks part is news to me.

Last season we signed Robert Calisti and he played 6 games with us to start the season. Then Rasmus Sandin came over, and we ended up sending Robert Calisti to a Junior A club for the rest of the season. He retroactively became an affiliate player for us, since he played fewer than 10 games for us and more than 10 games in Junior A. We didn't have to use a card on him.

Yup. Ask London about poor card management. Maybe with Durzi and Suzuki in their lineup instead of Guelph’s, they’d still be playing right now.

Same goes for all teams. Card management is really important if you are planning on buying or selling at the deadline. With so many players changing uniforms at the deadline, that additional card could mean the difference between getting a skater instead of a draft pick or getting that extra player you need to put you over the top.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Great comeback tonight! Rossi looked like the most talented player on the ice and was really flying out there.

The team absolutely took over in the third and imposed their will on an overmatched Generals team tonight.

For the first time in my four years as a STH, I think that the announced 6500 was significantly short and that it was closer to 8500. There were many, many more people than the announced 7200 against Sudbury last round.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Great comeback tonight! Rossi looked like the most talented player on the ice and was really flying out there.

The team absolutely took over in the third and imposed their will on an overmatched Generals team tonight.

For the first time in my four years as a STH, I think that the announced 6500 was significantly short and that it was closer to 8500. There were many, many more people than the announced 7200 against Sudbury last round.

I was thinking the same thing. It looked pretty packed to me. Generals didnt impress me one bit tonight, they were full of shit in the 2nd and Dipietro gave them a couple easy ones. The 67’s simply showed they were the superior team in the 3rd. Looking forward to the next game. Keyser is very good

Reactions: Lycanthrope

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013

Ottawa did show some rust. A week off will do that. But, Oshawa took advantage of their chances and I thought the game was a toss-up until the speed game started working. Lots of goals from between the hash marks tonight.

6500 must have been close. There were lots of empty seats in the upper end zones. With the press area in upper 20 and the suites being condemned, I can't see getting into the 8500 range again. It would be nice, though. Atmosphere is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad