Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
67’s are just so much better then the Bulldogs.[/QUOTE

We were better last night and Hamilton had nothing left for the team after pulling out all the stops the night before.

QUESTION

OMG and some of the longer in tooth fans will remember this. It used to be that you played 1 and 2 at home in Ottawa and then did 3,4,5 in Sudbury. 6 and 7 in Ottawa. The idea was to save teams money.

Is that a possibility here.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
What do the Ottawa players have on their left cheeks? Most of the players have it.

Back in 2005 the 67's were middle of the pack team going into the playoffs. At the start of the playoffs, Zenon Konopka, who was captain, took all the negative press clippings from the news papers and burned them. They then took the ashes and put a black swipe under each players eye. They then went on a run and made it to the OHL finals against the powerhouse London Knights team. They lost to them in the finals, but since London was hosting the Memorial Cup, the 67's automatically went as OHL representative. They lost in the semi finals to Rimouski, led by Sidney Crosby. They added a swipe for each playoff round, so ended up with two under each eye.

The team has been doing this in the playoffs ever since.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Back in 2005 the 67's were middle of the pack team going into the playoffs. At the start of the playoffs, Zenon Konopka, who was captain, took all the negative press clippings from the news papers and burned them. They then took the ashes and put a black swipe under each players eye. They then went on a run and made it to the OHL finals against the powerhouse London Knights team. They lost to them in the finals, but since London was hosting the Memorial Cup, the 67's automatically went as OHL representative. They lost in the semi finals to Rimouski, led by Sidney Crosby. They added a swipe for each playoff round, so ended up with two under each eye.

That is a real cool story. I knew there must have been some back story to it, but unless I missed something in moments that I was away from watching, the Sportsnet crew didn't get into it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I believe the league made it mandatory for the 2-2-1-1-1 format a few years ago.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I hate to correct you but you have the year and result wrong.

It was 2001. It was Zenon Konopka though.

They had a funky year. They’d win six in a row and then lose six in a row. They were sitting around .500 at the deadline. They went on to lose only something like 3 games the rest of the season.

Plymouth was the team they beat in the Finals and were heavily favoured to take out the 67’s. The Whalers had a lot of solid NHL players on that team. We were led by guys like Konopka, Galbraith, Joe Talbot and Jon Zion.

Since that year, the tradition has continued without skipping any seasons.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus

They had a funky year. They’d win six in a row and then lose six in a row. They were sitting around .500 at the deadline. They went on to lose only something like 3 games the rest of the season.

Plymouth was the team they beat in the Finals and were heavily favoured to take out the 67’s. The Whalers had a lot of solid NHL players on that team. We were led by guys like Konopka, Galbraith, Joe Talbot and Jon Zion.

In any event, thanks for the insight on the story - I think it’s a cool tradition to keep continuing and is an obvious bonding moment for the players.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
n I the only one that is worried about playing Sudbury. This is going to be a fight between goalies and not sure we have the best at this time.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
n I the only one that is worried about playing Sudbury. This is going to be a fight between goalies and not sure we have the best at this time.

Sudbury would not be anyone's first choice to play in the 2nd round as they have UPL. Ottawa's top-6 forwards are better and their depth is way better. Ottawa's top-4 D are better, way better, and all 6 aren't shabby at all. Ottawa has, statistically, 2 of the top 3 goalies in the league (with UPL being the other).

From a "load management" (cool new sports term I had to use there), UPL has played 3,078 minutes and faced 1,597 shots. DiPietro has played only 2,174 minutes and faces 978 shots, Andree only 2,634/1,209 (all reg season stats). If it comes down to goaltending (which I believe it will not), Ottawa has a ridiculous 1-2 punch, both of whom are far fresher than UPL.

Reactions: sirius67fan

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
On paper Ottawa seems to have the advantage in many areas but you all know paper will not be the determing factor.

Ottawa has a .6 goals per game advantage over Sudbury. Goals against are pretty even with 13 fewer goals against for Ottawa over the season.

I believe Ottawa has more depth on offense and defense overall.

Goaltending I give the individual to Ukko but as a tandem I would go with Ottawa. Ukko maybe getting worn down as well. Ottawa can use either goaltender and not miss a beat.

Special teams favor Ottawa on the pp and Sudbury on the pk.

In my opion Ottawa will need scoring from all lines, defense cannot be getting caught in the offensive zone, stop taking stupid penalties and they will have to take some bruises to get Ukko off his game.

In addition, do not let the Pilon twins get under you skin.

Finally, good luck to all involved.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009

I was wondering about the year, thought it was 2005, but I never said I was perfect!

I think it was after a road trip to the west where they went on their run.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
I was wondering about the year, thought it was 2005, but I never said I was perfect!

I think it was after a road trip to the west where they went on their run.

It was 2001 when they beat Plymouth to go to Regina. I almost posted, but then I saw it was the great 44.95, so I shut up about it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sudbury would not be anyone's first choice to play in the 2nd round as they have UPL. Ottawa's top-6 forwards are better and their depth is way better. Ottawa's top-4 D are better, way better, and all 6 aren't shabby at all. Ottawa has, statistically, 2 of the top 3 goalies in the league (with UPL being the other).

From a "load management" (cool new sports term I had to use there), UPL has played 3,078 minutes and faced 1,597 shots. DiPietro has played only 2,174 minutes and faces 978 shots, Andree only 2,634/1,209 (all reg season stats). If it comes down to goaltending (which I believe it will not), Ottawa has a ridiculous 1-2 punch, both of whom are far fresher than UPL.

I dont place any value on a 1-2 punch in net. Only one can play. It becomes of value only if one is injured or his performance, for some reason, becomes shaky. Nice to have an option but all it is is an option.

UPL is wearing down. We started to see some fatigue late in the season. He has carried the load for Sudbury all year as well as for team Finland at the WJHC. That doesn't mean he won't be effective. I still think the 67's will need to EARN their goals as there are no open holes in UPL, that is for sure. They need to throw loads of shots on net and get him working hard and hopefully fatigue sets in later in games.

Ottawa needs to use their speed effectively. As others have mentioned, keep the penalties low. Skate through players as opposed to chopping it them with sticks and flat feet. Too many interference type penalties like hooks and slashes etc. Lazy penalties.

Let the Pilon twins do what they want and ignore them. The officials will straighten it out if there is no retaliation.

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK. Be the harder working team and the talent won't be beaten.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I dont place any value on a 1-2 punch in net. Only one can play. It becomes of value only if one is injured or his performance, for some reason, becomes shaky. Nice to have an option but all it is is an option.

UPL is wearing down. We started to see some fatigue late in the season. He has carried the load for Sudbury all year as well as for team Finland at the WJHC. That doesn't mean he won't be effective. I still think the 67's will need to EARN their goals as there are no open holes in UPL, that is for sure. They need to throw loads of shots on net and get him working hard and hopefully fatigue sets in later in games.

Ottawa needs to use their speed effectively. As others have mentioned, keep the penalties low. Skate through players as opposed to chopping it them with sticks and flat feet. Too many interference type penalties like hooks and slashes etc. Lazy penalties.

Let the Pilon twins do what they want and ignore them. The officials will straighten it out if there is no retaliation.

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK. Be the harder working team and the talent won't be beaten.
Good points but I’m not sure UPL is wearing down that much. Also this nice rest is sure to help.

Reactions: Bob Barker

analyser

Jan 7, 2014

I dissgree that the 1-2 punch in net is not advantageous. You say thst UPL is getting worn down so their alternative in nets is not real enticing at the moment. In Ottawa either goalie is capable of handling the load so faulter, injury, team shakeup or whatever we are in a better position. No hesitation from our side, wether required or not we have the luxury.

In addition, I believe they can't get frustrated when UPL does make the big saves. When things are not going their way they tend to overpass and try to find the perfect play. Shots on net and plenty of them will be required, then hope for some bounces. Traffic in front of the net will also be required.

You say let the Pilon twins do what they want and ignore them, Ottawa has a hard time doing this and retaliate quite often. Bahl and Kody Clark seem to have difficulty with this facet of the game.

Ottawa has plenty of speed but they have to be involved for complete games not just in spurts. Also move the puck quickly from their own zone to avoid the big hits, which I am sure will be a big part of Sudbury's arsenal. I agree that hard work is really going to be a necessity not an option.

Looking forward to the series, we should see some good hockey during this time.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
I dissgree that the 1-2 punch in net is not advantageous. You say thst UPL is getting worn down so their alternative in nets is not real enticing at the moment. In Ottawa either goalie is capable of handling the load so faulter, injury, team shakeup or whatever we are in a better position. No hesitation from our side, wether required or not we have the luxury.

In addition, I believe they can't get frustrated when UPL does make the big saves. When things are not going their way they tend to overpass and try to find the perfect play. Shots on net and plenty of them will be required, then hope for some bounces. Traffic in front of the net will also be required.

You say let the Pilon twins do what they want and ignore them, Ottawa has a hard time doing this and retaliate quite often. Bahl and Kody Clark seem to have difficulty with this facet of the game.

Ottawa has plenty of speed but they have to be involved for complete games not just in spurts. Also move the puck quickly from their own zone to avoid the big hits, which I am sure will be a big part of Sudbury's arsenal. I agree that hard work is really going to be a necessity not an option.

You’re goaltending is not advantageous, UPL is better then both and isn’t wearing down IMo

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

Yeah I agree that discipline will be key and Kody is the one that worries me but if he acts up bench him we have plenty of depth. Not worried about Bahl as he usually doesn't retaliate but will stand up for his teamates. One that does get thrown off his game with physical play is Felhaber so he needs to concentrate on hockey and leave it to the refs. All in all not too worried about physical play I suspect the wolves will find our D a tough nut to crack. The Rippon/Okhotiuk pairing will play a big role in this one.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
As for the Pilon's as I just posted on the Sudbury board they are fun to watch as they're kind of throwback players who would be much more effective 15 yrs ago but with the way games are called now they can be a liability. Let them do their thing and cross the line then capitalize...our PP has been red hot since the deadline. Discipline, discipline, discipline boys, you gotta suffer for the team to win championships.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
You’re goaltending is not advantageous, UPL is better then both and isn’t wearing down IMo
Should it come down to having to use both goalies then Ottawa has the advantage. UPL's stats are not that much more impressive when it comes to avg. or save % but I agree he is a great goalie.

How do you know how UPL is feeling, many good goalies have been worn down from a heavy workload. It can be either physical or mental.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On another note the draft is next saturday, anybody have any predictions on what the poles will do position wise or specific player wise. I believe we pick 21rst, 31rst and 32nd in the first two rounds. I think they go D, forward,D with one D likely playing tier 2 next year like Belanger as two years from now we'll need guys ready to come in. As for players that would fit and are realistically available at those spots (according to hockey prospect ratings) I'd suggest I. Enright RD, S.Roloft LW and P. Christopoulos RD. The first two are local boys and I was thoroughly impressed by Christopoulos in the OHL cup final as he stood out despite playing with S. Wright, Othmann and Clarke.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

When you give up 3 goals on 8 shots in 14 minutes an get yanked (vs. Oshawa March 17th), that is a sign of fatigue. He was 4th in minutes played in the OHL and played a full slate of games in the WJHC. Yes, he gets a nice rest right now but goaltender fatigue will be a factor in the next series.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Should it come down to having to use both goalies then Ottawa has the advantage. UPL's stats are not that much more impressive when it comes to avg. or save % but I agree he is a great goalie.

How do you know how UPL is feeling, many good goalies have been worn down from a heavy workload. It can be either physical or mental.
We won’t have to use both, unless of injury then you will win 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad