Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
When you give up 3 goals on 8 shots in 14 minutes an get yanked (vs. Oshawa March 17th), that is a sign of fatigue. He was 4th in minutes played in the OHL and played a full slate of games in the WJHC. Yes, he gets a nice rest right now but goaltender fatigue will be a factor in the next series.
I don’t think so

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
When you give up 3 goals on 8 shots in 14 minutes an get yanked (vs. Oshawa March 17th), that is a sign of fatigue. He was 4th in minutes played in the OHL and played a full slate of games in the WJHC. Yes, he gets a nice rest right now but goaltender fatigue will be a factor in the next series.

Are we really pointing to one game to say he's fatigued? He was 1.95/.947 in the first round...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Are we really pointing to one game to say he's fatigued? He was 1.95/.947 in the first round...

When you consider the added workload from the WJHC and the load he had for regular season, that’s a lot of work. It is only natural to break down at some point. His workload is a lot even for an NHL goalie right now.

IF Ottawa puts loads of pucks on net and can keep possession in the offensive zone, UPL will have a lot of strain on him. Playing every second day will eventually take its toll. It is only natural.

The longer this series drags on, the more possibility of fatigue. All it takes is a slight sluggishness for a team like Ottawa to find some holes in the armour.

I’m not saying it WILL happen but the odds are he will start to feel the work.

Reactions: hockieguy

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015

I didn't say he was fatigued. I said that was a sign of fatigue. His numbers were impressive in round 1 against a far inferior opponent, right up there with Dhillon, Popovich and Keyser. Now he's up against the 3rd most potent offense (296 GF) in the league and the best defensive team (by a significant margin), every second night for up to 7 games. At some point, fatigue will be a factor.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Should it come down to having to use both goalies then Ottawa has the advantage. UPL's stats are not that much more impressive when it comes to avg. or save % but I agree he is a great goalie.

How do you know how UPL is feeling, many good goalies have been worn down from a heavy workload. It can be either physical or mental.
You’re right, none of us know how Ukko is feeling but we can speculate. I bet he’s absolutely RARING to go :)

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Or so you hope ;)

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
It was a three in three too and the Wolves gave up breakaways like Christmas gifts.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
A point I haven't seen come up in the fatigue discussion (which is certainly a legitimate hockey discussion to have) is that UPL hasn't had a break like this what will be 7-9-day layoff all season. The sweep against Mississauga assured that, he has alot of rest. If anything, I'm more worried about him being rusty in game 1 than for fatigue to be an issue in a game 6/7 right now.

sec20forever

Aug 11, 2015
dates are set they start fri and sun then tues and thurs in Sudbury game 5 is sat 6 is mon and 7 on tues,

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
This series is going to come down to which goaltender is hottest and who has the most protection. Neither team was really tested in the first round. As to shots on goal, UPL was the busiest which usually means that the defense gives up the shots.

How do you bet a hot goalie? Depending on the team in front of him it is easy. Get in his head. Lots of shots from every possible angle and chase the rebound even if he does not give one up. Get in his face crowd his crease bump him when you can.
The important thing though is to continually fight for the puck hit anything in your way. Goals for and against in the reg season favours Ottawa in both categories but that means little. The fact that our top 2 point producers only managed 9 assists with no goals on 10 shots tells me we have a lot of firepower that has not been fully used.

Glad to see Peter Stratis is doing well. Just hope he does not do too well LOL

I still think that Ottawa is going to win the series due to the experience level as well as the 4 solid lines they have.

The unknown is who is going to be the hotter goalie and make those critical saves at the right moment. As to the WJHC if we were playing a couple of months ago it would concern me but UPL has had the time to rest.

The intangibles are who are hurting. Who is playing with an injury that would normally have them in the stands?

BUT the bigest one is WHO IS HUNGRY?

Who wants it the most?
Who will drop in front of that shot and take the pain?
Which coach has the most diciplined team.

as to line changes Ottawa has to be favoured Tourigny can short change lines and still keep them fresh and in the game with minimal drop in offensive defensive ability.

I don't know enough about Sudbury but looking at the stats I am not sure they can say the same.

For you wolf cubs in Sudbury just watch out for the BIG NASTY RACCON he plays rough and does not like to lose.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
making the trip to Ottawa Friday, any advice on seating, and where to buy programs (if they have them)
This series is going to come down to which goaltender is hottest and who has the most protection. Neither team was really tested in the first round. As to shots on goal, UPL was the busiest which usually means that the defense gives up the shots.

How do you bet a hot goalie? Depending on the team in front of him it is easy. Get in his head. Lots of shots from every possible angle and chase the rebound even if he does not give one up. Get in his face crowd his crease bump him when you can.
The important thing though is to continually fight for the puck hit anything in your way. Goals for and against in the reg season favours Ottawa in both categories but that means little. The fact that our top 2 point producers only managed 9 assists with no goals on 10 shots tells me we have a lot of firepower that has not been fully used.

Glad to see Peter Stratis is doing well. Just hope he does not do too well LOL

I still think that Ottawa is going to win the series due to the experience level as well as the 4 solid lines they have.

The unknown is who is going to be the hotter goalie and make those critical saves at the right moment. As to the WJHC if we were playing a couple of months ago it would concern me but UPL has had the time to rest.

The intangibles are who are hurting. Who is playing with an injury that would normally have them in the stands?

BUT the bigest one is WHO IS HUNGRY?

Who wants it the most?
Who will drop in front of that shot and take the pain?
Which coach has the most diciplined team.

as to line changes Ottawa has to be favoured Tourigny can short change lines and still keep them fresh and in the game with minimal drop in offensive defensive ability.

I don't know enough about Sudbury but looking at the stats I am not sure they can say the same.

For you wolf cubs in Sudbury just watch out for the BIG NASTY RACCON he plays rough and does not like to lose.
Okay...who is the Racoon?

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Sudbury's goalie is an animal. Gonna be very hard to beat that kid 4 games straight. Now Ottawa definitely has the horsepower to do it. But that kid is hands down the best 19 year old goalie in the world. He has nhl written all over him and is a class act. Sudbury is the dark horse in these playoffs and I know that we hounds fans get a bit nervous about playing , as well as playing Ottawa too!

Reactions: WolvesFanSudbury

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Okay...who is the Racoon?

I take it you do not look at pictures or have not followed the teams very much. LOL
You have some wolf that even though his name is Howler he goes meow.
Ottawa has a 7-foot racoon as he got older I hear he got less angry but he is still a 7 foot raccoon.

OMG not sure if New Riley is as active as the originals but you can explain further lol

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Is the draft this Saturday??

With the players, we have what position do you think we need or do we just pick the BPA

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
On another note the draft is next saturday, anybody have any predictions on what the poles will do position wise or specific player wise. I believe we pick 21rst, 31rst and 32nd in the first two rounds. I think they go D, forward,D with one D likely playing tier 2 next year like Belanger as two years from now we'll need guys ready to come in. As for players that would fit and are realistically available at those spots (according to hockey prospect ratings) I'd suggest I. Enright RD, S.Roloft LW and P. Christopoulos RD. The first two are local boys and I was thoroughly impressed by Christopoulos in the OHL cup final as he stood out despite playing with S. Wright, Othmann and Clarke.

Is the draft this Saturday??

With the players, we have what position do you think we need or do we just pick the BPA
Here you go beast my take on the draft. Always an argument for BPA but as we pick 21rst I think we go for need as typically past the first ten picks there is not a big difference in talent and we need to rebuild our D for two years from now where we will only have Peric/Belanger and if we're lucky Rippon. Considering we likely still have Rossi, Quinn, Clarke, Bitten up front and Andree in goal with a decent D we'll still be competitive.

Reactions: BarberPole9

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Speaking of the draft considering
1-we won't have many openings on our roster next year
2- we have 8 picks in the first 5 rounds
I wonder if some are gonna be traded this week for draft capital in later years. Could see one of our two 3rds or two fifths get traded. Wouldn't be shocked of of our seconds is traded as unlikely we have more than two rookies on the roster next year as Maggio, Belanger and Crete will likely have bigger roles and who knows Ambrosio/Peterson showing up would be a bonus.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It will also be interesting to see how our first draft without Patty Higgins will go as he did a stellar job in our last 3 drafts and he's got his prints all over this roster. He drafted Hoef, Wilson, Bahl, Peric, Belanger who are on roster. Also Stratis, Robertson for which we got 4 seconds, 2 thirds. Also drafted Keats, Hoelscher, Bitten, Clark, Clarke, Yule, Tolnai who are on roster. Swankler, Afanasyev were used to get MDP and Maks. He will be hard to replace...thanks Patty.

member 236327

Dipietro essentially had that plus a trip to Vancouver between all that, I won't remind anyone how that experience went... It's April 1, everyone is tired..

Reactions: Lycanthrope

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Prospect Pipeline is saying that this is a strong draft and Ottawa has picks 21, 31 and 32, 52 and 62. There are two ways of looking at a plan, both of which make good sense. The first option being that we should have a good group of returnees and to consider moving some of the picks for draft capital in other years. The second option is to load up on all our picks this year, because there will be a large exodus of players after next year and other than having the 21, 31 and 32 picks on the roster next year, the others can develop in Tier 2 and aim to make the team as 17 year olds.

This draft is a big test for James Boyd. The team can tout its great location, access to Universities, great city and exceptional player development model (skills and leadership and fitness coaches). I'd love to see the team go out and make deals with NCAA committed players on both sides of the border. There's no reason that the 67's can't become the London Knights of the East again with all of the resources in this city and with OSEG.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
At this very early juncture trying to guess next year's lineup is very difficult but let's give it a shot for Draft purposes:

FORWARDS
Keating-Rossi-Clarke
Bitten-Hoelscher-Quinn
Yule-Tolnai-Maggio
Crete-open-Jesse Dick

WILDCARDS being Ambrosio and Peterson if they decided to come. This is a good group in the top 7 (counting on a big jump from Tolnai) or so but could use some help for sure.

DEFENCEMEN
Bahl-Rippon
Okhotyuk-Peric
Wilson-Belanger

LARGE WILDCARD being Hoefenmayer should he not go pro. He certainly deserves to go pro so I hope that he signs. The team absolutely needs to inject some youth into this group because as Sirius said, we will definitley lose Bahl, Okhotyuk and Wilson after the season and possibly Rippon as well. If somehow Hoefenmayer was returned the team would absolutely have an excess of returnees because they badly need to get Belanger going fulltime. It would be a very, very tough decision as to which player to move.

GOALIE
Andree
Cranley

As good of a group going into a season as the team has had in a long while.

Reactions: LR8

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Prospect Pipeline is saying that this is a strong draft and Ottawa has picks 21, 31 and 32, 52 and 62. There are two ways of looking at a plan, both of which make good sense. The first option being that we should have a good group of returnees and to consider moving some of the picks for draft capital in other years. The second option is to load up on all our picks this year, because there will be a large exodus of players after next year and other than having the 21, 31 and 32 picks on the roster next year, the others can develop in Tier 2 and aim to make the team as 17 year olds.

This draft is a big test for James Boyd. The team can tout its great location, access to Universities, great city and exceptional player development model (skills and leadership and fitness coaches). I'd love to see the team go out and make deals with NCAA committed players on both sides of the border. There's no reason that the 67's can't become the London Knights of the East again with all of the resources in this city and with OSEG.

Can you post a link to the article where Prospect Pipeline says this is a strong draft? Would be interested to read it. All others are saying this is a flat draft, especially after first 5 or 10 picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad