Ottawa 67's 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Kenneth Walls‏ @LongBallsWalls 5m5 minutes ago
More
Ottawa 67's general manager James Boyd on @TSN1200 on future trades this season. "No players will be leaving our team, that's our goal. We're going to be super competitive again next season...Don't want to take player X out to add in player Y."

I love that they are getting ahead of the rumours and letting their young players rest easy. I agree with this entirely, as I feel that they can still add two OA forwards to the mix at the expense of draft picks, which will allow them to make another big run next year. They aren't scratching any forwards, even when everybody is healthy so they can easily add two more, for a total of 14.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
We still have a bunch of second round picks in 2019 with not much room on the roster next year. It is a hard thing to tell Andree that, despite his excellent play so far, he will be second fiddle to DiPietro, who regularly plays 50-55 games a year and all of the post-season. But, how often do you get the opportunity to trade for a Memorial Cup-winning goalie who was also the Cup All Star goalie that year? So long as they don't screw up the room, they are hitting all the right notes so far.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I can't recall a more lopsided deal in my time following the OHL. Any reasonable person would have been expecting several more 2nd round picks and perhaps Andree as well.

Fantastic job by the 67s GM. A heist of epic proportions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I can't recall a more lopsided deal in my time following the OHL. Any reasonable person would have been expecting several more 2nd round picks and perhaps Andree as well.

Fantastic job by the 67s GM. A heist of epic proportions.

I’ve been saying it all along. The market for goaltenders is relatively small so with that comes less auction.

The reality is there really were only three viable teams for DiPietro. IT is really hard to get the bidding higher in that scenario. No disrespect to DiPietro or WR, but I believe that is a fair deal when you consider the conditionals.

I figured the fair return in a picks deal would be similar to all other star skaters: four 2nds, three 3rds, a mid round pick and a late round pick. If Afanseyev doesn’t report, Windsor gets five 2nds and two 3rds. That is a good pick haul for a star 19 year old. I know many in Windsor had their sights set much higher because of certain inflated trade rumours but in the end, that is very fair.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, i’ve Pretty much been on the DiPietro band wagon since about the deadline last year when the rumour was he wouldn’t report. He is finally here. I really thought the Twitter exchange between him and the 67’s was playful in a way that suggested he was open to being here this year after invoking his NTC last year.

The cost is fantastic. LEt’s hope Afanseyev reports. If he does, this is a relative stea compared to the costs for a star 19 year old skater. Afanseyev would never report here anyway so if he does report to Windsor, it will essentially cost us three 2nds to acquire DiPietro. That is crazy good. Even if he doesn’t report, it will be four 2nds and two 3rds which would be a similar return Niagara paid for Robertson.

We should be excited about this in 67’s land.

The best part of this deal has the Ottawa 2019 2nd in the deal leaving us four other 2019 picks and all of them higher than the one we gave up. That should help us acquire another skater or two.

It should be a fun ride over the next month as the team fiddles with the lineup.

What do Niagara and OShawa do now?

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
I’ve been saying it all along. The market for goaltenders is relatively small so with that comes less auction.

The reality is there really were only three viable teams for DiPietro. IT is really hard to get the bidding higher in that scenario. No disrespect to DiPietro or WR, but I believe that is a fair deal when you consider the conditionals.

I figured the fair return in a picks deal would be similar to all other star skaters: four 2nds, three 3rds, a mid round pick and a late round pick. If Afanseyev doesn’t report, Windsor gets five 2nds and two 3rds. That is a good pick haul for a star 19 year old. I know many in Windsor had their sights set much higher because of certain inflated trade rumours but in the end, that is very fair.

do you feel Niagara overpaid significantly? 2 dmen in that deal could have been straight trade. That leaves forward for forward and 11 picks. Who do you feel are the other 2 viable teams that lost out?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Santa came early

Good trade Jamesnot sure I see another big trade coming maybe a role player right now when everyone gets back they are going to be humming

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Would Ottawa have any interest in Maksimovich? Good top 6 winger with a lot of experience, Erie would probably only ask for a few picks in return (maybe two 2nds?).

Reactions: BarberPole9

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
This trade pretty much may be close to putting the 67s as the overwhelming favorite to represent the OHL in Halifax in May. Now all the 67s need is to add an OA (Saigeon?).. and they'll be a threat to win the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

three dog night

May 3, 2014
This trade pretty much may be close to putting the 67s as the overwhelming favorite to represent the OHL in Halifax in May. Now all the 67s need is to add an OA (Saigeon?).. and they'll be a threat to win the Memorial Cup.
Saigeon will probably end up in Niagara hometown discount.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
[QUOTE="BarberPole9, post: 153137295, member: 210859]Really glad that our friend OHLInsiders was off on his Graeme Clarke + 8 2nd rounders nonsense from last year :)/QUOTE]

That wasn't nonsense. That was the ask. That's why it took nearly 10 months.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
do you feel Niagara overpaid significantly? 2 dmen in that deal could have been straight trade. That leaves forward for forward and 11 picks. Who do you feel are the other 2 viable teams that lost out?

Every time there is a trade and I look at it closely, I equate it to draft picks. It is easier. I said at the time of the Niagara deal for Robertsona Nd Paquette that Niagara over paid, in my opinion, by one 2nd round pick. But, it really depends on the value of
Paquette to Niagara. If he performs at a higher level on a contending team then it really isn’t an overpayment. But, if he is more of a spare part mid line player then it probably is an over payment.

I believe Guelph and Saginaw would be the other two teams that could have been serious contenders for DiPietro. Saying that doesn’t mean either of them even discussed a trade, jsut that the teams in the top half of the league that had average or relatively inexperienced goalies that would have benefitted form an upgrade.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Saigeon will probably end up in Niagara hometown discount.

The only way Saigeon ends up in Niagara at a discount is if he demands a trade to Niagara and threatens a walkout which is something I don’t see happening.

The cost of an OA is significantly cheaper anyway. I can’t see Niagara not trading at least two 2nds for Saigeon and feeling they did OK.

I figure Ottawa will proabably at least try to get in on that potential deal. He is the exact forward the team needs for the playoffs.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We have two OA spots open. There are four players on my radar:

Saigeon
Maksimovich
Durzi
Sambrook

Saigeon and Durzi would be my one-two punch but any of those four would be fantastic.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Guys, enjoy DiPietro as much as you can. This kid is the real deal, not only on the ice, but off the ice, as well. He's easily one of the most personable, well-liked kids I've ever seen and the fans absolutely adored him. A rare breed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad