Ottawa 67's 2014-15 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good push back by the dogs which was expected, now we'll see what the 67's are made of. On a positive note they had a good third period to build on.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
I was disappointed in Ottawa's level of intensity. Rarely were they playing anywhere near their games 1&2 level. As hard as it was on Herbst, he kept it from being much worse. Many defensive breakdowns.

Good push back by the dogs which was expected, now we'll see what the 67's are made of. On a positive note they had a good third period to build on.

NaughtyDog

Aug 4, 2010
Unrelated to the series, has any Ottawa reporters ever had an interview with Leo Lazarev about his style?

In warm-up and the game, this guy appears to have had a two-four of red bull.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know about the press but yes, he is always like that :) Herbst has taken the #1 slot, but not by much. When Herbst was injured this winter, Lazarev had a great run, performing at or near league leading GAA and Sv%. If someone here knows how to search HFB better than me, they can find my post about his streak on this thread.

Unrelated to the series, has any Ottawa reporters ever had an interview with Leo Lazarev about his style?
In warm-up and the game, this guy appears to have had a two-four of red bull.

LeafsFIO*

Lazarev hasn't spoken to the media much, he's very Mrazek-esque though. Not the most endearing given how the comparable has played this season but Herbst reminds me of Anders Lindback. Good to have the yin-yan of a charismatic goalie who challenges shooters like Lazarev and a calmer goalie like Herbst, since he's so big he doesn't have to come out to the top of his crease.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
More on Lazarev and Mrazek...

After a tough fall for Lazarev, when the 67's skaters had not fully bought into Brown's defensive system, he went on to play 18 games in December through January, winning 12, two SOs, a 2.11 GAA and a .922 Sv%. He only played in 7 games the rest of the season, one win on a SO, all but one of the rest were losses, some bad ones. I am optimistic that he will mature into a very good goaltender.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Mrázek#Junior
"In his first OHL season with the Ottawa 67's in 2009–10, Mrázek had a 12–9–1 record in 30 games with a 3.00 goals against average and .905 save percentage. He played in eight playoff games with a 4–4–0 record, 2.39 goals against average, and .928 save percentage. During the 2011–12 OHL season, Mrázek appeared in 50 regular season games for the Ottawa 67's. Mrázek was 30-19 with 3 shutouts and had a 2.84 goals against and .917 save percentage in the regular season for Ottawa. In the OHL playoffs, he appeared in 17 of 18 games and was 9–8 with a 2.59 goals against and .929 save percentage. Mrazek signed a three-year entry-level contract with Detroit in October 2011."

Lazarev hasn't spoken to the media much, he's very Mrazek-esque though. Not the most endearing given how the comparable has played this season but Herbst reminds me of Anders Lindback. Good to have the yin-yan of a charismatic goalie who challenges shooters like Lazarev and a calmer goalie like Herbst, since he's so big he doesn't have to come out to the top of his crease.

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
No doubt the Dogs will be pumped. I'm hoping the 67's bounce back and make the game more entertaining than any of the three one-sided games we have seen so far. Of course I'm also hoping the 67s pull off a win. They know they are fully capable.

I know the icedogs will be pumped again. with a sell out it will be loud...............

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
67's & Niagara knotted at 1-1 midway through the first. Pretty good game so far. Konecny for the 67's on a nice breakaway goal and Ho-Sang for Niagara.

Some real nice showboating there by Ho-Sang after that goal as he skated by taunting the Ottawa bench. Nice dick****! I'm sure the "Alysum" will have something to say about that when he goes back to Ottawa on Friday! :huh:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
No doubt the Dogs will be pumped. I'm hoping the 67's bounce back and make the game more entertaining than any of the three one-sided games we have seen so far. Of course I'm also hoping the 67s pull off a win. They know they are fully capable.

This crowd doesn't sound very loud for a sellout??? No tv mikes??? :amazed:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
2-1 Niagara. Vince Dunn scores with a very weak goal through the 5-hole that dribbled in? How does that go in at that level? :shakehead

Hook??

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Well Niagara wins 4-3 in overtime on a rather weak wrap-around goal? How this is not stopped is puzzling? :amazed:

In a game where overall Niagara was the better team they seemed quite deserving of this victory. Although Ottawa controlled most of the 3rd period and the overtime it's a shame a really weak goal decided things. Herbst did make some really key saves in his own defense but at least two were totally stoppable. Those ones are backbreakers!

Both these teams seem to play a whole lot better at home. A complete 180 for Niagara who looked brutal in games 1 & 2. Ottawa dominates game two and Niagara looked spent? Then switch to St. Catherine's and the 67's send their "B" team. Or is it just that Niagara loves playing at home too?

Game 5 will be hugely pivotal . Pretty well a must win for the Barberpoles as they don't want to come back down this way trailing 3-2.

I can be objective. I didn't find this crowd overly loud. Bits and pieces here and there bit overall meh! The place didn't erupt until the overtime goal. Maybe it was the poor sound mics but these new arenas definitely lose a lot of their ambience and atmosphere.

Don't care what anyone says this Hosang kid is by far the best player on the ice.
Kind of selfish at times and his taunting of the Ottawa bench did not go unnoticed but man can he move out there!

sfan

Jun 26, 2013
Ottawa
Well, I got the kind of game I wanted... if not the final result. As they say though, lots to build on and a win Friday is very possible.

Ottawa had a few too many head scratching defense moments for my liking but the forwards on all lines had a much better game.

Should Herbst start Friday or is it time for Lazarev? Both can show brilliance and weakness in any given game. A possible case against Herbst, beyond the 2 or 3 softies tonight, is that he wasn't a big part of the wins in game 1 and 2.

In my view it is time to give the opportunity to Lazarev to start.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, I got the kind of game I wanted... if not the final result. As they say though, lots to build on and a win Friday is very possible.

Ottawa had a few too many head scratching defense moments for my liking but the forwards on all lines had a much better game.

Should Herbst start Friday or is it time for Lazarev? Both can show brilliance and weakness in any given game. A possible case against Herbst, beyond the 2 or 3 softies tonight, is that he wasn't a big part of the wins in game 1 and 2.

In my view it is time to give the opportunity to Lazarev to start.

herbst was my pick for achilles heal of the 67's. I have no confidence in him. He gives horrid rebounds and gives up soft goals from outside. He makes his fair share of good saves but mostly because of the big body.

When he had that shaky start fumbling with rebounds at the start of the game, I was cringing. On the goal by Knott, he kicked out the Dunn shot and that really needed to be directed to the corner but it was just laying there to be pounced on.

If not for Ottawa's ability to clear those horrid rebounds that for some reason he is unable to coral and cover up on, this game would have been worse.

Put Lazarev in net. He needs the experience and playing at home gives them a little bit of a safety net. If you lose in Ottawa with Herbst, you simply can't put Lazarev in net for Game 6. That would be cruel.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Ottawa

Nice hit by Bell!! Getting rough out there! Finally some noise out of this dead crowd.
I was at the game in person the crowd was very loud thru most of the game a little quiet when Ottawa took the lead but when the Ice dogs tied it up they got loud again. Overtime more of a nervous tension in the air till the dogs won the game .Maybe t.v does not pick up the sound that good. but it is a big building with a high ceiling so maybe the noise bounces around.

slamr

Nov 6, 2014
It definitely was not a dead crowd as the previous poster stated.
Crowd noise has never translated well on the TV Cogeco broadcasts in this building. They either use the best noise cancelling microphones in the business or they just don't have them set up properly to pick up the crowd.
I go to all the games and when I watch the highlights later on the OHL site I can't believe how quiet it sounds on the telecast.
Oh and this isn't the only arena I have noticed this in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad