Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Problem with Lazar is his hands. Can't score in the NHL if the hands are made of bricks. That's why I was hoping he'd go back to junior, then to the AHL. You develop hands by having the puck on your stick all the time. Not this get-it-and-dump-it thing he has happening in the NHL. He's not exactly a 6-foot-4 beast that can force his will around the blue paint, either. He has some strength, but not enough to be a true power forward.

Kid is the poster child for slow and steady development.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Problem with Lazar is his hands. Can't score in the NHL if the hands are made of bricks. That's why I was hoping he'd go back to junior, then to the AHL. You develop hands by having the puck on your stick all the time. Not this get-it-and-dump-it thing he has happening in the NHL. He's not exactly a 6-foot-4 beast that can force his will around the blue paint, either. He has some strength, but not enough to be a true power forward.

Kid is the poster child for slow and steady development.

Lazar is the poster child for high expectations from the fan base about him. I don't recall too many on here that were for sending him back to junior in his first yr, in fact, a lot of people argued against it & the second yr too. I don't believe he has top 6 skill but has the ability to be an injury replacement in the top 6 or play a specific role on a top 6 line, he's a border line 2nd line player.

I think his strength is as a 3rd line centre who notches the odd goal & plays primarily on a checking line with some offensive ability. Unfortunately for him, Pageau seems to have taken that spot from him & now Lazar has to learn & fight for that 3rd line RW spot vacated by the departure of Chiasson. If he is unable to make some progress in that position this yr he could be shopped around for someone who can. The best thing that could happen for Lazar is if Pageau got hurt & they put Lazar at centre on that 3rd line but then again they just might replace an injured Pageau with Smith too. Lazar's future is not at all predictable at this point, I still think he could be traded at some point since Pageau is from this area & has a large following here & at the moment the better player.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Where do you guys see Kelly playing? 4th centerman 5th centreman? press box?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

the 4th line center position is his job to lose, so he definitely has that to start

baring a huge huge drop off or injury kelly should be playing there for most of the season

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Kelly will start the year as a 4th line centre, and hopefully he can hold the job for the whole year, but if not, Nick Paul might get a shot there. In my opinion, if we can get a decent half season from Kelly while Paul rounds out his game in the AHL, we will still be in good shape.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
the 4th line center position is his job to lose, so he definitely has that to start

baring a huge huge drop off or injury kelly should be playing there for most of the season

Kelly has been a 30-35 point 3rd line centreman playing 14-15 mins a game on a very good every since he left Ottawa. He basically missed last season and is 35 and coming off an injury... But it wouldn't be at all improbable for him to be an excellent player for Ottawa this season.

I was just thinking about whether Pageau could end up in the top 6. MacArthur might take awhile to get back in top condition, even if he stays concussion free. Pageau could be just plain better then him both offensively and defensively even if MacArthur returns to peak form.

Assuming the top line is Hoffman Turris Stone. The second line could be Pageau Brassard Ryan. You have right and left faceoff guys. Two guys that can set up Ryan and score themselves. And Pageau brings a great defensive awareness and just overall energy to that line.

Then if Kelly is actually back to form... He can make a good line and Smith or Lazar can centre the other bottom 6 line. MacArthur can bring scoring and playmaking to a third line.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Pageau gets promoted into the top 6 at some point when we have 3 other potential centres that will be in the lineup, plus in the near future Brown and White. I totally think that Pageau could easily adapt to wing if he was asked to do it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It looks like the top 6 players are all interchangeable & they should have enough depth this yr to move some players up due to injury. I expect that Chabot will be returned to junior.

Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Smith - Pageau - Lazar
Pyatt - Kelly - Neil/Puempel

Methot - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman/Bartkowski

Anderson - Hammond

Callups at forward: Paul, Dzingel, McCormick & Bailey or Sortini
Callups on defence: Claesson, Kostka, Englund & Harpur
Callups in goal: Dreidger & O'Connor

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
So Sens Rule you are saying

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Pageau - Brassard - Ryan
MacArthur - Kelly - Lazar
Pyatt - Smith - Neil
Puempel

Might prefer, IF Pageau was tasked as the 2LW,

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Pageau - Brassard - Ryan
MacArthur - Kelly - Lazar
Smith - Paul - Neil
Pyatt

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The coach has already come out a said what he plans the top 6 to look like .

Hoff/Turris/Stone

Mac/Brass/Ryan

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The coach has already come out a said what he plans the top 6 to look like .

Hoff/Turris/Stone

Mac/Brass/Ryan

I'm thinking we all concur with that in some form, but as Sens Rule mentioned the wildcard is MacArthur. Its been a while. He says he's good to go. Need to see it. Assume he will be all fired up to show it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm thinking we all concur with that in some form, but as Sens Rule mentioned the wildcard is MacArthur. Its been a while. He says he's good to go. Need to see it. Assume he will be all fired up to show it.
Thinking thats the reasoning ,Mac playing with two veterans to help him shake of the rust is probably the safe play

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
If Mac can get back to his magic, we could have a really special top 9.

I still think Dorion has a significant trade to make.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If Mac can get back to his magic, we could have a really special top 9.

I still think Dorion has a significant trade to make.
I still think so as well.I just have a bad feeling about White ,i think he doesnt want to play here .And he will be the primary piece

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I still think so as well.I just have a bad feeling about White ,i think he doesnt want to play here .And he will be the primary piece

Where'd this come from? White doesn't want to play here. He will be traded.. Are those voices happening again Brian?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
And this is based on what, exactly?

Crystal_Ball.jpg

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You guys like to tease,but i have brought up things before that came to pass.I told anyone here that would listen how i thought Zibby was a gonner.And would likely get us another Turris level center .The rhd and lhd debate was another.

My thoughts about White, is again following the same logical train of thought.That kid is far too good to stay in the NCAA he is listed as a RW/center.Are you guys not thinking that he wouldnt be a better option on the 3rd line RW than Lazar??

I have to think we have tried to sign him ,and his reluctance to be involved in almost anything to do with tourney,s or prospect skill development .Just strikes me as more than odd .I hope iam wrong here ,but i dont think i am

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
You guys like to tease,but i have brought up things before that came to pass.I told anyone here that would listen how i thought Zibby was a gonner.And would likely get us another Turris level center .The rhd and lhd debate was another.

My thoughts about White, is again following the same logical train of thought.That kid is far too good to stay in the NCAA he is listed as a RW/center.Are you guys not thinking that he wouldnt be a better option on the 3rd line RW than Lazar??

I have to think we have tried to sign him ,and his reluctance to be involved in almost anything to do with tourney,s or prospect skill development .Just strikes me as more than odd .I hope iam wrong here ,but i dont think i am

you are definitely thinking too much here. go back to bed. season starts next month.:)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
you are definitely thinking too much here. go back to bed. season starts next month.:)
I think ,iam right .If he wanted to play in the nhl and make millions ,he could do this .But instead he risks more injury and uncertainty by playing another full season in the NCAA.Him never playing in anything ,for us ever .Is also a red flag for me ,you would think his number 1 goal would be making the team .Yet he participates in nothing

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

What reluctance? Please explain

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Have you seen him play??Other than in the NCAA ??i get he has had some injuries,but those should have been healed by now i would think.Is he even coming to main camp ??

1. Had surgery on his wrist prior to Sens Dev camp all above board and discussed with Sens. He was here but could not participate in any on ice work.

2. Returning to NCAA this year after consultation and advice from Sens.

3. NCAA players will stand to lose eligibility if they attend an NHL training camp / main camp.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
1. Had surgery on his wrist prior to Sens Dev camp all above board and discussed with Sens. He was here but could not participate in any on ice work.

2. Returning to NCAA this year after consultation and advice from Sens.

3. NCAA players will stand to lose eligibility if they attend an NHL training camp / main camp.
I still believe he never plays an nhl game for us,i dont think he wants to play in Canada .I think we move him either late this year ,or just before the exp,draft and he immediately signs a nhl contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad