Line Combos: Ottawa 2016-2017 thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What reluctance? Please explain

The way Dorion spoke about him this summer it was almost as if he was talking about someone who Ottawa had a strained relationship with; "we told him we care about him, we told him we want him to play in Ottawa one day, we will let him make the decision to stay in college or turn pro" as opposed to Gagne or Chabot "I told him he is going back to Junior"

I think White is an honest player, but the way the USA College kids have left other teams high and dry it wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa is getting mixed signals from him and don't want to take a chance and get burned this spring.

They are treating him with kid gloves and that always makes you nervous. The rest of their rookies do what Ottawa says, in White's case Ottawa is doing what he says.

But he could also be amazing for us. Logan Brown won't be NHL ready for 2 more years and if White can transition next year as a 4th line center and move up the depth chart, Brown follows behind a season later in the 4th line roll a season later and moves up the depth chart.

But I still think Dorion believes that Ottawa can win the Cup and is one impact forward away from getting over the hump. We have 1 asset we will trade and that's White - Chabot is to good to trade and they won't let Logan Brown go.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
So we complain when we rush a guy like Lazar.

Now when we advise White to play another year in the NCAA for development, we complain.

Hmm, seems as though the Sens can't win.

Until White has some sort of statement that he doesnt' want to play in Canada, you are literally just guessing.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
You guys like to tease,but i have brought up things before that came to pass.I told anyone here that would listen how i thought Zibby was a gonner.And would likely get us another Turris level center .The rhd and lhd debate was another.

My thoughts about White, is again following the same logical train of thought.That kid is far too good to stay in the NCAA he is listed as a RW/center.Are you guys not thinking that he wouldnt be a better option on the 3rd line RW than Lazar??

I have to think we have tried to sign him ,and his reluctance to be involved in almost anything to do with tourney,s or prospect skill development .Just strikes me as more than odd .I hope iam wrong here ,but i dont think i am

There's been a long running conversation on this board about how Lazar may have been rushed by playing at 19yo instead of the CHL.

White was picked in a similar spot and is 19yo. Though he'll be playing less games, he'll be facing older competition. We don't start losing any ELC time until next season.

This seems fine to me. He might have played a low level depth role on the 4th line this year and he might not have been ready for that. He should be much better prepared to contribute next season. This isn't a top-2 pick and we don't need to force him into the lineup.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Have you seen him play??Other than in the NCAA ??i get he has had some injuries,but those should have been healed by now i would think.Is he even coming to main camp ??

What is this... He got injured in the freaking dev camp in 2015(ankle during the Spartan run if I recall), and had wrist surgery this offseason.

Beyond that, he can't participate in exhibition games without losing his NCAA status, so rookie tournaments aren't an option.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If the Sens wanted White to play this year he would be here. I get the impression he is chomping at the bit to play here but ...the team feels he needs more development. The NCAA schedule also has the benefit of more dry land and gym training that allows players to get physically stronger.

I am not worried. If he was ready now he'd be here now. If he's ready next year it will be next year. If Bingo is in the running next spring '17 ... I wouldn't be surprised to see him then.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
1. Had surgery on his wrist prior to Sens Dev camp all above board and discussed with Sens. He was here but could not participate in any on ice work.

2. Returning to NCAA this year after consultation and advice from Sens.

3. NCAA players will stand to lose eligibility if they attend an NHL training camp / main camp.

Really?

I wasn't aware of that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is true though. NCAA has some draconian rules regarding their "student" athletes.

I will admit that I find it a bit unnerving that White has not yet signed with the Sens, but it's not worth worrying about yet. There's still plenty of time before he becomes a UFA.

If he signed an ELC with the Sens, would it void his eligibility for NCAA? Again, I don't know exactly how this works.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I had a daydream the other day. What if every game at a certain time in the second period everyone in the arena started singing come and get your love by redbone. And dancing. And we became known around the league for this.

That's all.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The way Dorion spoke about him this summer it was almost as if he was talking about someone who Ottawa had a strained relationship with; "we told him we care about him, we told him we want him to play in Ottawa one day, we will let him make the decision to stay in college or turn pro" as opposed to Gagne or Chabot "I told him he is going back to Junior"

I think White is an honest player, but the way the USA College kids have left other teams high and dry it wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa is getting mixed signals from him and don't want to take a chance and get burned this spring.

They are treating him with kid gloves and that always makes you nervous. The rest of their rookies do what Ottawa says, in White's case Ottawa is doing what he says.

But he could also be amazing for us. Logan Brown won't be NHL ready for 2 more years and if White can transition next year as a 4th line center and move up the depth chart, Brown follows behind a season later in the 4th line roll a season later and moves up the depth chart.

But I still think Dorion believes that Ottawa can win the Cup and is one impact forward away from getting over the hump. We have 1 asset we will trade and that's White - Chabot is to good to trade and they won't let Logan Brown go.
I see this too ,again i hope iam wrong .But it just seems odd ,kid is already one of the best if not the best player in the NCAA .Why wouldnt we want him to turn pro

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What is this... He got injured in the freaking dev camp in 2015(ankle during the Spartan run if I recall), and had wrist surgery this offseason.

Beyond that, he can't participate in exhibition games without losing his NCAA status, so rookie tournaments aren't an option.
Look dont freak out dude ,iam just calling it as i see it .I could very well be wrong

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So we complain when we rush a guy like Lazar.

Now when we advise White to play another year in the NCAA for development, we complain.

Hmm, seems as though the Sens can't win.

Until White has some sort of statement that he doesnt' want to play in Canada, you are literally just guessing.
Never said i had anything concrete,just a hunch

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really?

I wasn't aware of that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is true though. NCAA has some draconian rules regarding their "student" athletes.

I will admit that I find it a bit unnerving that White has not yet signed with the Sens, but it's not worth worrying about yet. There's still plenty of time before he becomes a UFA.

If he signed an ELC with the Sens, would it void his eligibility for NCAA? Again, I don't know exactly how this works.

Yes he cannot sign a pro contract and remain NCAA eligible.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Interview from Colin White this summer with TSN 1200.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200...to-decide-where-he-ll-play-next-year-1.517694

By his voice he doesn't seem like a guy who's idea is not to sign here. He sound to me like a kid with a great head on his shoulder and money not being the important factor when it come to his decision. he want to get better. First or foremost.

Colin White is going to be a Sens next year. I'm sure of it. Being with the B-Sens or with the big club.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look dont freak out dude ,iam just calling it as i see it .I could very well be wrong

You literally questioned his desire to play within Canada and for the organization because he hasn't come over and played at Dev camp or rookie tournaments that he was injured for and could invalidated his NCAA eligibility had he participated in them. I'm really not sure how you see it, but the way I see things, everything you've put forth as evidence of your hunch has been either completely unfounded or based on the most tenuous of links.

I get that it's just your gut feeling, but you if you're going to say you don't thing a guy want's to play for us, you got expect people to challenge you on it. As is, it seems you just have a hunch based on next to nothing, so whatever. Not really worth discussing more than that, but don't bother saying it's because he didn't participated in things he was too injured to participate in. That just fuels people questioning your hunch.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interview from Colin White this summer with TSN 1200.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200...to-decide-where-he-ll-play-next-year-1.517694

By his voice he doesn't seem like a guy who's idea is not to sign here. He sound to me like a kid with a great head on his shoulder and money not being the important factor when it come to his decision. he want to get better. First or foremost.

Colin White is going to be a Sens next year. I'm sure of it. Being with the B-Sens or with the big club.

All the interviews I had read made me believe that he has family that want him to take advantage of getting a college education for a bit longer. Always seemed to me like 'Mom and Dad' were pushing him to stay in school, at least a little longer.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
Whites expectations are to be a 2nd line NHL center for Ottawa. There is no room for him in that spot at the moment so why would he turn pro to play in Bingo? he is already good enough for the AHL which is full of guys from NCAA that he was better than all year. Why ride the bus around the AHL if you can stay at a place like Boston College and get closer to a degree? It also gives him power to sign or not to sign as long as he stays in NCAA. He was as good or better than Vesey head to head this year every time they played. Ottawa management absolutely knows this. I"m sure White wants to play as bad as any kid in the NHL but he is patient enough to realize it needs to be in the best situation for him. It's a business and he still holds his cards. He also had a wrist surgery he needed to have. He had played with it hurt for 2 seasons and the NCAA gave him the time to have that done and recover properly so that when he comes to Ottawa he is 100%. This has nothing to do with White not wanting to play in Canada.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
All the interviews I had read made me believe that he has family that want him to take advantage of getting a college education for a bit longer. Always seemed to me like 'Mom and Dad' were pushing him to stay in school, at least a little longer.

Which is fine by me. Colin White is 19 y/o. 19 is so Young.

Even if he start in the big league at 21.. That's super young.

He says in the interview, that he's going to sit with the Sens management and his parents to talk about what's the best for him.

And he heard, i can't remember if it was Pierre Dorion, again with TSN 1200, saying about White that they wanted him to go back to college and play a premium role thios year. And he said that Murray wanted White to come this year, thinking he was ready, but PD wanted White to go back to college for a year.

I will try to find that if i can.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You literally questioned his desire to play within Canada and for the organization because he hasn't come over and played at Dev camp or rookie tournaments that he was injured for and could invalidated his NCAA eligibility had he participated in them. I'm really not sure how you see it, but the way I see things, everything you've put forth as evidence of your hunch has been either completely unfounded or based on the most tenuous of links.

I get that it's just your gut feeling, but you if you're going to say you don't thing a guy want's to play for us, you got expect people to challenge you on it. As is, it seems you just have a hunch based on next to nothing, so whatever. Not really worth discussing more than that, but don't bother saying it's because he didn't participated in things he was too injured to participate in. That just fuels people questioning your hunch.
Yes sir.....and my hunch is fueled a little of what he posted about our team before we drafted him .Also its not that uncommon for an American not to want to play in Canada .As for the injury ,i had already stated i understood that may have been a reason for his lack of actual attendence in anything on ice related.

But you also have to wonder why we wouldnt be trying to sign a kid that just went over a ppg as a freshman,and looks as ready as ever to actually cracking our squad.Or playing in the ahl for a season

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes sir.....and my hunch is fueled a little of what he posted about our team before we drafted him .Also its not that uncommon for an American not to want to play in Canada .As for the injury ,i had already stated i understood that may have been a reason for his lack of actual attendence in anything on ice related.

But you also have to wonder why we wouldnt be trying to sign a kid that just went over a ppg as a freshman,and looks as ready as ever to actually cracking our squad.Or playing in the ahl for a season

Because we feel he's likely best served playing another season in a developmental league and respect that he may wish to do so in the NCAA?

I mean, if his development would be stunted by playing in the NCAA instead of the AHL, I could see your point, but right now he is not a sure thing to crack our roster by any stretch. As you already mentioned, we haven't really seen him play a single game against NHL caliber competition, so I don't see why the org would be in a rush to sign him.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012

because the kid doesn't need to play in the AHL when he is playing in a league like Hockey East in every situation as a leader. When there is a spot where he can develop correctly they will bring him straight in. They do not see him in a bottom 6 role. You also forget he should have been drafted higher as he played with mono his entire draft year. Ottawa was lucky to get him at 21. He is not your average guy picked at 21 as he proved last season.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Because we feel he's likely best served playing another season in a developmental league and respect that he may wish to do so in the NCAA?

I mean, if his development would be stunted by playing in the NCAA instead of the AHL, I could see your point, but right now he is not a sure thing to crack our roster by any stretch. As you already mentioned, we haven't really seen him play a single game against NHL caliber competition, so I don't see why the org would be in a rush to sign him.
Precisely why he should have a pro contact,as another poster pointed out .He has all the cards right now ,he needs to develop his pro game sooner than later .The risk of him getting injured without a pro contract ,over him voiding a scholarship. Seems to be kinda nonsensical,he can always go back to school with the money he will have the moment he inks his ELC

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
because the kid doesn't need to play in the AHL when he is playing in a league like Hockey East in every situation as a leader. When there is a spot where he can develop correctly they will bring him straight in. They do not see him in a bottom 6 role. You also forget he should have been drafted higher as he played with mono his entire draft year. Ottawa was lucky to get him at 21. He is not your average guy picked at 21 as he proved last season.

I like you. Every time you write update about White, I'm getting exited. :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Precisely why he should have a pro contact,as another poster pointed out .He has all the cards right now ,he needs to develop his pro game sooner than later .The risk of him getting injured without a pro contract ,over him voiding a scholarship. Seems to be kinda nonsensical,he can always go back to school with the money he will have the moment he inks his ELC

You just said he holds those cards... Why would he sign a contract to go play in the AHL when he has the option of playing in a leadership role in every situation with BC in a good developmental league while getting an education. The players that would do that are likely not good student athletes. He's 19 years old. No rush to play in AHL from his perspective.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Yeah, but how does this well thought out and rational hypothesis disprove a gut call based on heresay, hunches and "wouldn't you think that"s?

I believe that is checkmate, sir.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I like you. Every time you write update about White, I'm getting exited. :laugh:
So do I ,believe me i want White to be a Sen .I can see the skill.I just dont know if the feeling is mutual,playing/developing in the AHL making money and reciveing as tidy signing bonus .With the potential for much much more,if he cracks the roster .Has to be worth more than a scholarship.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You just said he holds those cards... Why would he sign a contract to go play in the AHL when he has the option of playing in a leadership role in every situation with BC in a good developmental league while getting an education. The players that would do that are likely not good student athletes. He's 19 years old. No rush to play in AHL from his perspective.
Yep ,getting an education is important so he can get a good job that will pay him...He has a chance to make big dollars at a young age .Its not as if he wont have enough money after signing his elc .That he couldnt go back to school,if hockey doenst work out .But what if he has a career ending injury ,without a contract ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->