Proposal: OTT/PHI/CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's times like these where I am honestly embarrassed to be a Flyers fan when people are saying that we couldn't use Svechnikov because we have Lindblom. "But but but, Lindblom's more proven than Svechnikov." I think my personal favorite though was comparing Svechnikov to Nail Yakupov. SMH

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
As a Canes fan, not that intrigued...my nightmare all along has been that Dudley (as a long-time proponent of "can't teach size, can't beat grit.") and Dundon's belief we need to be tougher prevails on the FO to take Tkachuk...who I'm not sold on being more than an overhype on his name. The play doesn't justify the draft position. Wahlstrom is great, but he's not the elite talent we need either...there are only two of those in this draft and we're perfectly aligned to get the one that best suits our needs.

If the Canes move this pick...it'll be because someone blew their socks off with an elite, young forward as the centerpiece of an unresistable package.

To me Svechnikov would have to be a 50-60 goal scorer like Ovechkin to be worth more than the potential pieces you could get. Wahlstrom could be a 30 goal scorer, Sanheim a top 4 LD who can put up 30-40 points and then you still have the 19th pick. Not to mention bringing in Sanheim allows a Hanifin trade for another top 6 forward. Also saves you money as Sanheim will be cheaper than Hanifin for a few years.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I hope you joking or sarcastic or something.
Proposed by the original poster of this debacle. Not my proposal. I learned years ago it’s not worth it to make trade proposals as it always turns in to well........this.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
To me Svechnikov would have to be a 50-60 goal scorer like Ovechkin to be worth more than the potential pieces you could get. Wahlstrom could be a 30 goal scorer, Sanheim a top 4 LD who can put up 30-40 points and then you still have the 19th pick. Not to mention bringing in Sanheim allows a Hanifin trade for another top 6 forward. Also saves you money as Sanheim will be cheaper than Hanifin for a few years.

Except the part where we have exactly 2 needs and a "we'd ideally like..."

1.) An elite offensive forward that can be the focal point of our offense. We have plenty of supporting top-6 guys like Wahlstrom.

2.) A starting goalie that can play league-average in net and not cost us a trip to the playoffs.

Want: A 1C so we don't have to hope and wait on Necas or Aho.

No need for: LHD (We have a D unit we're comfortable with...if we move out anyone, it's Faulk. Winning #2 most-probably took Hanifin off the block.), additional picks. (We're at the move picks and spare specs for "now" stage.)

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Between that comment and the other guy comparing Svechnikov to Yakupov it's like the comedy store in here.

I never said MIGHT. Don’t twist my words around. There’s no point in arguing with you so I’ll just leave it alone. You’re clearly one of these guys who posts contrary opinion in order to seem more intelligent than they really are. No time for that.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's times like these where I am honestly embarrassed to be a Flyers fan when people are saying that we couldn't use Svechnikov because we have Lindblom. "But but but, Lindblom's more proven than Svechnikov." I think my personal favorite though was comparing Svechnikov to Nail Yakupov. SMH
Svech and Yak had nearly identical stats on their draft year. And one went 1, the other likely to go #2.

The ENTIRE point of saying that, is that NOTHING is guaranteed.

And again, people are not saying we don't want Svech be ause we have Lindblom. We don't want Svech AT THE COST OF 4 Mid 1sts especially because one of those pieces are Sanheim who we need to help fix the defense.

Reactions: pmwlker

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
The mere fact that there is just as much outrage by the CAR & OTT recipients of this proposal as their is from Flyer fans actualy proves that the proposal is a viable and reasonable one. To get you gotta give. Obviously polite discourse is not the modus operandi by the majority of commentors.

To Flyer fans, clutching and grabbing their precious draft picks. after 4 years of building the deepest prospect pool, you'd think you'd have the balls to make a bid to move above mediocrity, but apparently you'd rather have the deepest prospect pool as opposed to actually positioning yourself to contend in a year or 2.

Reactions: The Madrigal

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The mere fact that there is just as much outrage by the CAR & OTT recipients of this proposal as their is from Flyer fans actualy proves that the proposal is a viable and reasonable one. To get you gotta give. Obviously polite discourse is not the modus operandi by the majority of commentors.

To Flyer fans, clutching and grabbing their precious draft picks. after 4 years of building the deepest prospect pool, you'd think you'd have the balls to make a bid to move above mediocrity, but apparently you'd rather have the deepest prospect pool as opposed to actually positioning yourself to contend in a year or 2.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Dornhoeffer

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Except the part where we have exactly 2 needs and a "we'd ideally like..."

1.) An elite offensive forward that can be the focal point of our offense. We have plenty of supporting top-6 guys like Wahlstrom.

2.) A starting goalie that can play league-average in net and not cost us a trip to the playoffs.

Want: A 1C so we don't have to hope and wait on Necas or Aho.

No need for: LHD (We have a D unit we're comfortable with...if we move out anyone, it's Faulk. Winning #2 most-probably took Hanifin off the block.), additional picks. (We're at the move picks and spare specs for "now" stage.)

I think both can be a focal point to an offense but not to a Ovechkin type level. I see a lot of Rick Nash in Svechnikov and Phil Kessel in Wahlstrom. Both have been franchise players but not quite able to carry a franchise by themselves. So it really depends on preference or if you think one has another level they can reach than the other. I see Wahlstrom a step above anything you have in the top 6 right now, but I don't think he's ready to step in next year and help like Svechnikov can.

As for the goalie part you could use the 19 to get a Grubaur or other goalie in a package with that pick. I see Sanheim being a better prospect than Fluery or Bean so you could use them as trade chips if needed. Having a superstar is nice but as seen these playoffs having depth is even better. Adding 3 potential good pieces is better than 1 great one.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

And if Svech busts like Yak....how does that look? You can't say it won't happen, because it does. Or maybe he is Strome. Or Reinhart. Or Drouin. Or Galchenyuk. Or RNH

All top 3 picks who have not touched a 60 point season in their careers yet.

I will easily keep 4 mid 1sts over one scoring LW when the Flyers have the 2nd leading scorer....at LW. And since we are waiting for the young D to develop, why not have that same patience with a former top SHL scorer who is only 21 years old.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

If it were up to some of these guys the Flyers lineup would look something like this in a year or two.

Giroux - Couturier - Knoecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Rubtsov - Frost - Aube-Kubel
Laughton - Vorbyov - Kase

Ghost - Provorov
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Friedman

Hart
Sandstrom

Somewhere along the line a few of these guys got this strange idea that rebuilding through the draft means that a team never signs any free agents or makes trades to fill holes. They also seem to be under the assumption that every prospect is going to work out. I have tried extremely hard to have intelligent discussions with them but they are incapable of doing so when someone has a different view point on things. It's almost as if they get angry that someone dare think for themselves and think differently than they do which is kind of sick if you really think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dornhoeffer

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
If it were up to some of these guys the Flyers lineup would look something like this in a year or two.

Giroux - Couturier - Knoecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Rubtsov - Frost - Aube-Kubel
Laughton - Vorbyov - Kase

Ghost - Provorov
Sanheim - Myers
Morin - Friedman

Hart
Sandstrom

Somewhere along the line a few of these guys got this strange idea that rebuilding through the draft means that a team never signs any free agents or makes trades to fill holes. They also seem to be under the assumption that every prospect is going to work out. I have tried extremely hard to have intelligent discussions with them but they are incapable of doing so when someone has a different view point on things.

Madrigal, it's classic 'Group Think'.

sticker76

Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
As a Canes fan, I want nothing to do with this deal. At the #2 pick, we can get that elite talent that this team needs, yes I know it's potential and may not be lived up to, but every draft eligible player is all potential. The Canes need an elite, top end, gamebreaker player, which Svech can be. No one else in this draft really has that skill set. Simmonds does nothing for the Canes, except he is tough to play against. He is 29, much older than the core of this team, he is a UFA next year, and trending downward in his scoring. So why do we want him. Getting lower picks will not get Canes that gambreaker talent, so this trade makes no sense. Plus GMDW has stated:

"But I've told everybody,
it's gonna have to be a package that I'm gonna have to look at and say "WOW, they would do THIS?!?" Otherwise, we are comfortable taking this pick"

I don't think this offer comes anywhere close to that. It would have to include an elite, young, dynamic, cost controlled F coming back, which no team is going to give up, hence they will very likely keep the pick and draft Svech.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

this doesn't position the team to do anything. in order for the Flyers to take the next step, the depth of the D needs to be upgraded. and Sanheim is projected to be a huge part of that. how does trading him help the team contend? it makes them worse.

i don't care that much about the picks. but the D needs to be fixed and trading Sanheim makes no sense at all and would only make that hole worse.

Svech could very well turn out to be a nice scoring winger, but we're not trading any of our top D prospects when that's the biggest thing that needs to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad