Proposal: OTT/PHI/CAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasksAreForSlaves

May 12, 2017
Connecticut, USA
Move the rebuild forward while ignoring the glaring holes on D and G. Seems like it'll be a great expediting of the process.

I'm really amazed that this glaring hole on D & G keeps surfacing.
On Goal: you actually think Hextall is going to trade assets for another goalie when we have the best Goalie prospect in hockey potentially 1 year away. He doesnt work that way. and I personally wouldnt be surprised if Hart is up by midseason next year. I also think Alex Lyon is a darkhorse.

On Defense: Morin will be the type of DMan this team needs to compete against the big boys and he will be playing in Philly next year. Expect Myers by the end of the year too. How many under 24 yrs old DMen do you want? I like Sanheim but with (Ghost, Provorov, Morin, Myers in addition) I think Hextall will be going hard after a UFA like Carlson. Thus Sanheim is very movable

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
PHI trades Pk 14 and Travis Sanheim and 2019 2nd to OTT for Pick 4

PHI trades Pick 4, pick 19 and Wayne Simmonds to CAR for Pick 2

PHI selects Andrei Svechnikov

Check out the draft pick point chart and you will see the the draft pick exchanges
are all fair and equitable. Plus Simmonds value is projected as a late 1st early 2nd
and Sanheim probably as a late 1st
http://draftwired.com:8888/apps/dwNHL

Couple of thoughts: on that ranking system:
  1. The rankings ignore the particulars of this years draft class in favor of generalities. Even though Svech will be the #2 pick, he'll be the #1 forward, and imo the equivalent of a #1 pick in most years (ones that don't have a McDavid or Dahlin available). E.g., the value of Eichel in his draft year would be better represented as a #1 than a #2 point-wise, imo. And the value of a McDavid was way higher than the 3000 points assigned to the "average" #1. (See the scoring chart and linked article below as to how I see Svech's potential)
  2. I don't buy the principles behind that scoring system in general. Quantity doesn't add up to elite quality, no matter how much of it you add. Would you trade #1 oa (3000 pts) for the 7 picks #40-46 oa (3290 pts)? Anyone who would, needs to get to a Gamblers Anonymous meeting ASAP, lol.
SportingNews article on Svech:

NHL Draft 2018: Why Andrei Svechnikov's star potential is on par with Rasmus Dahlin

dahlin-svechnikov-chart-050918jpg_vyxf3k9bnby71mcdf31115agb.jpg

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm really amazed that this glaring hole on D & G keeps surfacing.
On Goal: you actually think Hextall is going to trade assets for another goalie when we have the best Goalie prospect in hockey potentially 1 year away. He doesnt work that way. and I personally wouldnt be surprised if Hart is up by midseason next year. I also think Alex Lyon is a darkhorse.

On Defense: Morin will be the type of DMan this team needs to compete against the big boys and he will be playing in Philly next year. Expect Myers by the end of the year too. How many under 24 yrs old DMen do you want? I like Sanheim but with (Ghost, Provorov, Morin, Myers in addition) I think Hextall will be going hard after a UFA like Carlson. Thus Sanheim is very movable

Great. We have a bunch of wonderful prospects. So we gamble away all our assets and Hart doesnt pan out. Then what? We traded away all our assets. And for what? To draft a potentially elite winger when we arent ready to compete?

You also assume Morin will be ready next year, but to my knowledge, the extent of his knee injury is unknown. Hes rapidly approaching injury prone territory and may not make it at all at this point. Were also going to lose one if these d men to the expansion draft when it occurs.

It's amazing to me how people want to expedite something that is clearly nowhere near ready.

Last edited:

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
That is all your opinion. Neither you or I have any idea what Carolina's thoughts are on potentially trading the number 2 overall pick, and what/who Hextall would feel comfortable moving to acquire that pick/Svechnikov. Obviously the chances of it happening are slim but if the Flyers chose to make a big move like that they have the assets to do so. Either way it's a long off season and these boards exist largely for the sake of discussing possibilities which is all the OP was doing and yet he gets trashed for it. This is common place on this forum which is a shame. Disagreeing with someone's idea and/or value of certain assets and players even strongly is fine, the holier than thou attitude with which people are so often greeted with when creating proposals is ridiculous however.

The original poster insulted people who responded. Lose the persecution complex. It’s gone both ways in this thread.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Everybody wants but is never willing to pay the necessary price. You do realize the move up from 14 to 2 to land a truly elite level prospect like Svechnikov would be extremely high and rightfully so. Not saying the OP's proposal was perfect but good on him for trying to come up with a big time move to help the Flyers move out of the land of mediocrity and finally move onto plan B of Hextall's drawn out rebuild.

What do you mean drawn out rebuild? He took over 4 years ago last week. We had one of the worst prospect pools, and terrible contracts then and now we have one of the best. Our team has looked better almost every season since he's been on the job.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That package wouldn't even be close to enough for a generational player like McDavid. Probably not even Dahlin too. Funny though.

The point isn't that it's enough to get a generational talent. The point is that it's too much for a non-generational, #2 overall pick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What do you mean drawn out rebuild? He took over 4 years ago last week. We had one of the worst prospect pools, and terrible contracts then and now we have one of the best. Our team has looked better almost every season since he's been on the job.
Some people can't see the big picture.

Hextall WILL make a big move when he thinks the team is ready. He saw in LA the impact that can make. But to do it too early, makes no sense when you are waiting in the young D to gain experience and have placeholders in net.

I said it before, LA posted 101 and 98 point seasons before trading for Richards, then later Carter. Knowing WHEN to make the big move is important. Making a 5 for 1 now when you are giving up the equivalent of 4 mid 1st rounders would be dumb.

Sanheim helps fix the defense.
The #14 and #19 picks should land 2 more top 6 forwards or another top Dman into the pipeline.
Simmonds...he should be moved.
Look to see what you might be able to add for free thru FA.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
Part 1:
PHI trades Giroux, pick 14, pick 19 to MTL for pick 3 and Pacioretty

Part 2:
PHI trades pick 3, Wayne Simmonds & 2019 1st to CAR for pk 2 (Svechnikov)

May as well discuss this as well. Same original poster.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Part 1:

Part 2:

About as brutal as the original.

Ans I'm sure Montreal wants a 1C if they're moving #3.

Reactions: pmwlker

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Not that Carolina is going to trade the 2nd it seems but I would think they'd prefer Sanheim to Simmonds. To me Sanheim could replace Hanifin and then they could trade Hanifin for that top line forward they're after.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not that Carolina is going to trade the 2nd it seems but I would think they'd prefer Sanheim to Simmonds. To me Sanheim could replace Hanifin and then they could trade Hanifin for that top line forward they're after.
And for the hundredth time, the Flyers are not in a position to trade Sanheim when the future top 4 should be:

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018

So Pick three, Sanheim and our 2019 first would be your preference as a Carolina fan? To me that seems a crazy price to pay knowing what we gave up to get the third in this scenario. I’m not even going to mentions Patch as I have absolutely no interest in him as a Flyer. I’d just as soon keep our picks etc and stick to the plan. Cost is too high

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
And for the hundredth time, the Flyers are not in a position to trade Sanheim when the future top 4 should be:

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers

Agree. This is what we hope to end up with top 4 wise. Hagg, Morin , Friedman etc should be able to build our bottom pairing from within. Then we have lesser known guys like Hogberg who could also factor in eventually.

Reactions: Tripod

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
About as brutal as the original.

Ans I'm sure Montreal wants a 1C if they're moving #3.

To me it would make sense for Montreal to maybe drop down a few spots and take the best centre and add another asset in the process. Then trade Patches if they want another first.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So Pick three, Sanheim and our 2019 first would be your preference as a Carolina fan? To me that seems a crazy price to pay knowing what we gave up to get the third in this scenario. I’m not even going to mentions Patch as I have absolutely no interest in him as a Flyer. I’d just as soon keep our picks etc and stick to the plan. Cost is too high

I'm not a Canes fan but I would do 4 + 19 + Sanheim for 2. At 4 you could get Wahlstrom who can be just as good a goal scorer as a RW plus he's a righty shot, not sure the make up of Carolina's forwards but it's nice to have some right hand shots. Also Tkachuk could be an option if you want someone to step in sooner and add that physical element the owner was looking for. Don't see as high a ceiling but should be a safe bet to be a 2nd liner at worst. At 19 there's a possibility Kaut could be there who's another good RW, plays a hard nosed game and is familiar with Necas. If he's not there K'andre Miller or Bode Wilde intrigue me as 2nd tier defenders.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Part 1:

Part 2:

I hope you joking or sarcastic or something.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I'm not a Canes fan but I would do 4 + 19 + Sanheim for 2. At 4 you could get Wahlstrom who can be just as good a goal scorer as a RW plus he's a righty shot, not sure the make up of Carolina's forwards but it's nice to have some right hand shots. Also Tkachuk could be an option if you want someone to step in sooner and add that physical element the owner was looking for. Don't see as high a ceiling but should be a safe bet to be a 2nd liner at worst. At 19 there's a possibility Kaut could be there who's another good RW, plays a hard nosed game and is familiar with Necas. If he's not there K'andre Miller or Bode Wilde intrigue me as 2nd tier defenders.

As a Canes fan, not that intrigued...my nightmare all along has been that Dudley (as a long-time proponent of "can't teach size, can't beat grit.") and Dundon's belief we need to be tougher prevails on the FO to take Tkachuk...who I'm not sold on being more than an overhype on his name. The play doesn't justify the draft position. Wahlstrom is great, but he's not the elite talent we need either...there are only two of those in this draft and we're perfectly aligned to get the one that best suits our needs.

If the Canes move this pick...it'll be because someone blew their socks off with an elite, young forward as the centerpiece of an unresistable package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad