Speculation: OTT next trades

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
2 teams rebuilding, not much of a trade partner.

Actually there are several decent borderline players/prospects Rangers can throw at Ottawa to help Senators with their depth during rebuild that don't have much future with the Rangers:

O'Gara, DeAngelo and Fogarty for SJ's 2nd round pick is likely a good deal for both teams.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Actually there are several decent borderline players/prospects Rangers can throw at Ottawa to help Senators with their depth during rebuild that don't have much future with the Rangers:

O'Gara, DeAngelo and Fogarty for SJ's 2nd round pick is likely a good deal for both teams.

Each of those guy are barely worth a 5th each how do they add up to a 2nd? That's garbage even for Dorion, I couldn't even pull that off in NHL 19 with easy trades on.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Here’s the thing that isn’t brought up very much. Even though it’s terrible to tank without a 1st Rd pick, you still get to select the best available player in every subsequent round. (Unless you have already traded it...)

2019 will suck depending how bad Ottawa actually is (likely bottom 5), but if they do end up trading Stone and Duchene, they likely ask for some 1st Rd Picks as part of anything. Combine that with the 2nds as well as any other ones that come in from other moves, and they could end up with 5-6 picks in the first 2 rounds.

I’m just going to throw out some names from the 2018 draft that I like and were selected in the various parts of the first 2 rounds:

Foudy
Bokk
Berggren
Wilde
Thomas

You add prospects of that caliber to:

Tkachuk
Brown
White
Formenton
Chlapik
Norris
Tychonick
Bernard-Docker

And you are quickly stocking the cupboard.

Don’t get me wrong, dark times are coming, but if you can’t sign Duchene and Stone long term, you have to move them.

flamesftw

Jan 12, 2018
Duchene to Buffalo for Reinhart, Nylander and Asplund
Stone to Arizona for Perlini, Fischer, and Strome

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I don’t think either are going anywhere. Stone was reportedly close to signing for 8 years prior to arbitration but they ran out of time and opted for a 1 year stop gap, to continue negotiations into the year. He’ll be signed by January. And when he does, so will Duchene.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sens will definitely try to re-sign Stone and Duchene and will be able to sign at least one, imo.

In an ideal world, where the Sens are able to execute things according to plan, these are the guys I expect to be gone by the end of the year:
1. R. Dzingel (2nd +, see Grabner deal)
2. T. Pyatt (4th, 5th or 6th)
3. C. Wideman (4th, 5th or 6th)
4. Z. Smith (3rd - 7th or similar contract)

Soon to follow (by end of 2019-2020):
1. Pageau (2nd ++, high-end prospect or 1st)
2. Boedker (3rd + prospect)
3. Anderson and/or Condon (who knows)
4. DeMelo (3rd, 4th, 5th)

If negotiations with Stone or Duchene stall, they will be dealt... but we need some players to hit the cap floor and it will be difficult to do so if both guys walk. I think Stone will stay and Duchene, well, no clue. I think that will go more down to the wire.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'd imagine Stone would have big value around the league. The Coyotes could pay a boat load.

They have a lot of prospects, and even more young roster players that could be moved. I'm sure Ottawa would be interested in Cousins, Crouse, Fisher, or Perlini. Dvorak or Chychrun could be included in a deal. Dylan Strome would be better than of the pieces EK just got.

That is, of course, a list of assets that could be in a deal, not a suggestion that they all be offered together at once. Just to be clear.

Cousins and Crouse are throw-ins at this point. Perlini, Fisher, Dvorak, Chychrun and Strome would all be very interesting. That said, I don't think Stone will be dealt. I have no evidence behind this, but I think Stone is, lets just say, far from shaken up by the Karlsson trade. Watching him play with the new kids was beautiful, he looked absolutely giddy. I could be very wrong but I think Stone will commit as things begin to return to normalcy in Ottawa.

Even if they will resign why not ship them out as rentals? Plekanec was sent out and brought back why can't the Sens do the same?

Because Plekanec had no hope of getting an 8-year deal (something Stone and Duchene would both be looking for)

If Dallas decides to make a run I think they should trade for both Stone and Duchene.

Here are the assets you guys have that are interesting to a rebuilding team:
Picks
----
Heiskanen
------
Dellandrea
Hintz
Lindell
Shore
Johns
Faksa
Robertson
Tufte
--------
Mascherin
Point
Oettinger
Guryanov

You'd need to give up at least 2 picks, at least three guys from group 3, and at least one guy from group 4.

1st, 2nd, Dellandrea/Hintz, Lindell/Johns, Shore/Faksa, Point/Oettinger

And that probably doesn't get it done. Getting both would require a serious gutting.

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
As sens fans were not fully sure if management understands this. It appears they do not if you base it on their actions but Dorion did say today 'its the right time for a rebuild'. So yeah I dont think he understands.

To be fair, it's probably for the best that management forgets about the pick and makes decisions agnostic to it being sent to Colorado. Waiting into the season doesn't help anyone, even considering the pick.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Cousins and Crouse are throw-ins at this point. Perlini, Fisher, Dvorak, Chychrun and Strome would all be very interesting. That said, I don't think Stone will be dealt. I have no evidence behind this, but I think Stone is, lets just say, far from shaken up by the Karlsson trade. Watching him play with the new kids was beautiful, he looked absolutely giddy. I could be very wrong but I think Stone will commit as things begin to return to normalcy in Ottawa.

Sounds possible to me, but I won't try to guess if he wants to stay or go. I still expect Stone to have a huge year, in Ottawa or otherwise.

If you had to make a guess about a package from Arizona, similar to what you picked out from DAL, what would it look like?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sounds possible to me, but I won't try to guess if he wants to stay or go. I still expect Stone to have a huge year, in Ottawa or otherwise.

If you had to make a guess about a package from Arizona, similar to what you picked out from DAL, what would it look like?

I think Stone has slightly more value than Duchene, although that could change over the season and if one guy is willing to sign an extension, that obviously changes the value drastically.

It's hard to say what we'd be looking for... Chyrchrun is the one guy I'd probably insist on. Chychrun + 1 marquee asset + throw-ins (for salary purposes) would definitely get it done. Sens would probably send something back with Stone, too.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Here’s the thing that isn’t brought up very much. Even though it’s terrible to tank without a 1st Rd pick, you still get to select the best available player in every subsequent round. (Unless you have already traded it...)

2019 will suck depending how bad Ottawa actually is (likely bottom 5), but if they do end up trading Stone and Duchene, they likely ask for some 1st Rd Picks as part of anything. Combine that with the 2nds as well as any other ones that come in from other moves, and they could end up with 5-6 picks in the first 2 rounds.

I’m just going to throw out some names from the 2018 draft that I like and were selected in the various parts of the first 2 rounds:

Foudy
Bokk
Berggren
Wilde
Thomas

You add prospects of that caliber to:

Tkachuk
Brown
White
Formenton
Chlapik
Norris
Tychonick
Bernard-Docker

And you are quickly stocking the cupboard.

Don’t get me wrong, dark times are coming, but if you can’t sign Duchene and Stone long term, you have to move them.
1st or not i think you just have to accept the reality of the situation even under the presumption it may extend the rebuild by a year.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
To be fair, it's probably for the best that management forgets about the pick and makes decisions agnostic to it being sent to Colorado. Waiting into the season doesn't help anyone, even considering the pick.

Not to mention that improving your 2nd-7th round picks still has value.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Stone

For

Bolland
Hossa
Perlini
Dauphin

---

Duchene

For

Nelson
Vande Sompel
Calgary 2019 2nd
Cockerill

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
It’s criminal they are in this situation without a first round pick in the 2019 draft. They are never going to acquire a top 10 pick, and they gave away their best asset for a strangely odd return.

I personally don’t want too see this team fail and move but their owner seems set on that idea.

If that happens, love to see the Hurricanes (who can’t draw) move to Ottawa. And I live in N.C. but no one cares down here about hockey. And by no one, a fan base can’t have 8,000 loyal fans.,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad