Speculation: OTT next trades

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Sorry Sens fans... Duchene or Stone won't return a better package than what EK did. If EK can't even return a top prospect and guaranteed multiple 1sts, no way will Dorion/Melnyk get a better package for either of those two. They're bad (really bad) at trading. Sucks to have when the team needs a rebuild.

It sucks. I'm just hoping for your sake that you guys hit some homeruns in the draft next year. You all deserve better and I really hope Melnyk sells the team soon. At least you guys know up front this year is supposed to be bad and won't have a surprise 48 point season.

On the plus side, the Sens have some legitimate blue chip prospects imo and provided Melnyk/Dorion don't completely screw everything else up, they should be fun to watch in a couple of years.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Sorry Sens fans... Duchene or Stone won't return a better package than what EK did. If EK can't even return a top prospect and guaranteed multiple 1sts, no way will Dorion/Melnyk get a better package for either of those two. They're bad (really bad) at trading. Sucks to have when the team needs a rebuild.

It sucks. I'm just hoping for your sake that you guys hit some homeruns in the draft next year. You all deserve better and I really hope Melnyk sells the team soon. At least you guys know up front this year is supposed to be bad and won't have a surprise 48 point season.

On the plus side, the Sens have some legitimate blue chip prospects imo and provided Melnyk/Dorion don't completely screw everything else up, they should be fun to watch in a couple of years.

they actually did get a top prospect in Norris, 2 roster players under the age of 25 and a 1st and 2nd and potentially another 1st rounder. Not exactly shafted, not the best, but butter then the return Isles got for Tavares.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
they actually did get a top prospect in Norris, 2 roster players under the age of 25 and a 1st and 2nd and potentially another 1st rounder. Not exactly shafted, not the best, but butter then the return Isles got for Tavares.

Norris wasn't even a top 3 prospect for the Sharks. The 2 roster players aren't even players with much potential. A late first and a late 2nd are nice pieces to help build draft capital but let's not act like that wasn't a massive underpayment for EK.

That wouldn't have been a bad return for a player like Duchene. That is a terrible return for EK. Dorion/Melnyk gave up a ton for Duchene and got less for EK. Let's not even come close to pretending that Norris is the caliber of prospect the Sens should have gotten for EK. It was a bad trade. As I said, it isn't an awful package for a player not named Erik Karlsson.

Sens fans should temper their expectations on returns (huge lol at whoever thinks Ceci is gonna return a 1st) for the rest of their roster given what tone that trade set.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Norris wasn't even a top 3 prospect for the Sharks.

regardless he is a 1st rounder from the 2017 draft. Now wether is a top 3 or not, no one knows, and it's hard to get an honest answer at this point from Sharks fans since he's no longer Shark. They will do everything to make it sound like the trade is in their favor. Funny thing he is already a write off the minute he's Sens prospect, so obvious hfboards.com have a strong anti bias for prospects belonging to Canadian teams.

A late first and a late 2nd are nice pieces to help build draft capital but let's not act like that wasn't a massive underpayment for EK.

well yes, this one we already knew it was coming as the potential buyer for Karlsson is very likely a power house team with later 1st rounder.
not saying it' was a bullseye trade for the sens, but it's something,

1st round pick
2nd round pick
25 year old centreman full time NHLer
25 year old dman full time NHLer
a prospect that was drafted in the 1st round a year ago.

better then nothing, right? could have been like a Tavares situation.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
regardless he is a 1st rounder from the 2017 draft. Now wether is a top 3 or not, no one knows, and it's hard to get an honest answer at this point from Sharks fans since he's no longer Shark. They will do everything to make it sound like the trade is in their favor. Funny thing he is already a write off the minute he's Sens prospect, so obvious hfboards.com have a strong anti bias for prospects belonging to Canadian teams.
Haha, now you're sounding like a Leafs fan.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/san-jose-sharks-7-prospect.2515831/
Looks like he was rated #4 according to their board in July. Guess we can get an honest answer about how they view Norris.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
ok so he's not a top prospect but he's still a 1st rounder no? LOL look at who their 2nd best prospect was.
I agree, their prospect pool sucks.

Fact of the matter, Ottawa got fleeced. If Karlsson re-signs there, it will go down as one of the worst trades in NHL history.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Fact of the matter, Ottawa got fleeced. If Karlsson re-signs there, it will go down as one of the worst trades in NHL history.

nope. Love how you guys are trying to sell it like it was a horrible trade, for Ottawa though. keep up the hard work.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
All these Ottawa got fleeced posters are typical pile on the guy while he's down types.
The trade was for one year of Karlsson. One year. And potentially just until the trade deadline depending upon how San Jose is doing.
I really don't see Karlsson signing long term with the Sharks ... hard to say for sure but it doesn't make sense to this poster.
All the GM's of course were very aware of the situation and Karlsson was only willing to be traded to so many teams so in reality the return Ottawa got was not any where close to as bad as a lot of people are making it out to be.
The Sens have to spend to the floor so no way they are trading Stone and Duchene ... unless it becomes clear they are not resigning.
All in all they did what they could and are moving on. As a fan of another team I wish them the best. And hope for a Melnyk sale!

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Are you serious? Ottawa would prefer he re-sign with San Jose now. If he does, then they get that extra conditional 2nd rounder. Plus it means he stays out west, where they clearly wanted him to be.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think Stone has slightly more value than Duchene, although that could change over the season and if one guy is willing to sign an extension, that obviously changes the value drastically.

It's hard to say what we'd be looking for... Chyrchrun is the one guy I'd probably insist on. Chychrun + 1 marquee asset + throw-ins (for salary purposes) would definitely get it done. Sens would probably send something back with Stone, too.

Makes sense to me. Let's just see what that might look like:

Chychrun + ARZ 1st (2019) + Cousins

That's a lot for Arizona to give up. But It would be a worth while trade package. Their top 4 D is still very good (OEL, GoGo, Hjalmarsson, Demers), so the loss of Chychrun doesn't kill them. Chayka has been willing to move 1st rounders before (Stepan Raanta), so they could be willing to do it again. And Cousins is a ppg player in the AHL, but he's struggled to handle an NHL job.

I could see Ottawa trying to get Cousins replaced with something better. But I could see Arizona wanting to lower the pick to do it. Sounds like a starting point to me.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
nope. Love how you guys are trying to sell it like it was a horrible trade, for Ottawa though. keep up the hard work.
Yes, I'm the one selling, not you. Ottawa fans were delusional before the trade in what they would get in return, and now they've been fleeced they are delusional in thinking they got a good deal.

If someone on the trade board had offered that package, they would have been laughed at. That is a FACT. You guys were asking for Heiskanen, Glass, Sergachev... or no deal.

Edit: I can see your not a Sens' fan, apologies to them for thinking that one of them says this is not a bad deal, I'm sure they know better than you that they got shafted

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
ok so he's not a top prospect but he's still a 1st rounder no? LOL look at who their 2nd best prospect was.

He's a good prospect, no question about that... but not a top prospect. I don't think he's rated in the top 100 prospects in the NHL, FWIW.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
It looks like they need some help on defense. A top 4 guy Chabot seems young and not sure if he can handle the top pairing. Ceci/Chabot not feeling it.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Seriously sometimes I think Pierre Dorion is an inside man for the Habs or something and his job is to make us as bad as possible.

I thought OTT and MTL were in a serious stretch for being the worst Canadian team next season until the Karlsson trade.
If Dorion is an inside man for the Habs, it's for wrecking the team before a transfer to Quebec city so MTL still wins over them.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Makes sense to me. Let's just see what that might look like:

Chychrun + ARZ 1st (2019) + Cousins

That's a lot for Arizona to give up. But It would be a worth while trade package. Their top 4 D is still very good (OEL, GoGo, Hjalmarsson, Demers), so the loss of Chychrun doesn't kill them. Chayka has been willing to move 1st rounders before (Stepan Raanta), so they could be willing to do it again. And Cousins is a ppg player in the AHL, but he's struggled to handle an NHL job.

I could see Ottawa trying to get Cousins replaced with something better. But I could see Arizona wanting to lower the pick to do it. Sounds like a starting point to me.
Honestly I'd do that package as a Sens fan. Chychrun's probably a future top pair D.

Reactions: iSophagus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad