Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Sens trade Zack Smith to Chicago for Artem Anisimov

Geoist

May 1, 2015
How is Zach Smith an improvement over Anisimov?

As someone else pointed out, Hawks would've given AA away for free. AA didn't have much of a role to play anymore for the team, especially at a $4.5 hit. Smith may not put up the points, but fills other roles including faceoff (something the Hawks have been notoriously bad at the last several years.)

How is trading a rising value prospect Jokiharju for a decreasing value prospect in Nylander a god move? (Time will tell on this one)

You ask a question then answer it yourself lol. Yes, time will tell. Stan is trying to swing for the fences with that risky trade and he will either homer or strike out.

The De Haan trade was “eh”... I would’ve held on to Forsling. Saarela will bust.

Forsling was not working out in Chicago and needed a fresh start. Don't know what makes you so sure about Saarela...

Reactions: Pile

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hawks D and G have improved , but forwards don't look that strong on paper.

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
Perlini - Strome - DeBrincat
Saad - Smith - Shaw
Quenneville/Kubalik/??? - Carpenter - Kampf

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
melnyk is so predictable, i can't stand this guy and i truly feel for dedicated sens fans who have to deal with this cheapskate year after year

i am not talking this deal in particular, it's fine/whatever, but just knowing yoru owner is always going to cheap out when the $$ goes up would be awfully discouraging.
The crazy part is the media wont even acknowledge it. When trading teams cap space the sens should be getting assets back instead they pay them. The league needs to step in there is 0 commitment to winning or getting any better in the long run. Being a life long sens fan has been horrid over the last 4 years. Cant even enjoy the sport any longer. Ive commited 100's of thousands to this organization in my lifetime and this is the thanks I get.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
Saad - Smith - Shaw

Looks pretty darn good to me. That third line is killer. And then who knows with Nylander.

Reactions: qqaz

scud9

Jun 2, 2006
I don't understand this. Artem is a great player at international standards and then you have Smith......

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
Saad - Smith - Shaw

So the 8th highest scoring offense from last year now has the following at forward:

____ - Toews - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - ____
Saad - ____ - Shaw

and then the following fighting to fill in the rest:

Dach, Nylander, Kubalik, Caggiula, Kurashev, Saarela, Wedin, Kampf, Carpenter, Smith, Sikura, Perlini

seems to me like it’s better (and should be harder to play against) than what they had last year when they were the 8th best scoring team.

As you mentioned, the D improved and the G drastically improved.

People saying that they are best case fighting for a wildcard are delusional or just picking fights.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Smith looked out of place in the top six but as a 4th line guy who is utilized on the PK

He’s going to be great I’m Chicago

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
But they're still the 6th best team in their own division.

Has the hockey season already started that you have factual information?

It doesn't matter what any team did or didn't do last year, it's a brand new season, players get older , fresh faces are added, chemistry changes .

Stan has made a ton of improvements geared towards , defense, upgrading the entire bottom 6, and he also signed Lehner which gives Chicago the best goalie tandem on paper in the league , he also went from having little to no young talented forwards to a nice crop.

Chicago was awful last year for about a month or so due to a salary cap , and a few high contracts , Seabrook, etc.

To lose your head coach whom is a hall of fame coach after 10 plus years is tough.

This team could score goals , it just couldn't keep them out of the net and that cost them by 6 points of making the playoffs.

This year alotmof hawks fans see this team right now on paper drastically improved

Reactions: LDF

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
That might just be because you're less familiar with other teams' players. Or, again, you're seeing things to rose colored glasses.

Hawks have a roster that stands a chance at winning on any given night. But that doesn't mean that they are the best team in the league.

Being the best regular season team doesn't equate to winning a Stanley cup , history tells us that. Last year st Louis was dead last won the cup, while Tampa won the presidents
trophy they bombed out in round 1.

Chicago has d4astically improved their team hands down , they got better defensively , their entire bottom 6 , goaltending , they added a quite a few young promising forwards.

This team is more balanced and has lots of solid depth.

Could they win the cup sure any team has a chance.

Chicago also got bigger and more physical which has been lacking.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Blues went from dead last in January to Cup winners with a 'meh' roster. No way you can expect to make this claim and be taken seriously.

Well said. Any team has a chance to win the cup, you need chemistry , luck , a healthy team and a hot goalie, also the team has to just be better than it's opponent should they make the playoffs.

Reactions: Geoist and LDF

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
So the 8th highest scoring offense from last year now has the following at forward:

____ - Toews - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - ____
Saad - ____ - Shaw

and then the following fighting to fill in the rest:

Dach, Nylander, Kubalik, Caggiula, Kurashev, Saarela, Wedin, Kampf, Carpenter, Smith, Sikura, Perlini

seems to me like it’s better (and should be harder to play against) than what they had last year when they were the 8th best scoring team.

As you mentioned, the D improved and the G drastically improved.

People saying that they are best case fighting for a wildcard are delusional or just picking fights.

It wouldn't surprise Chicago fans if Chicago was in the top 3 in the western conference.

Chicago is going to surprise a lot of teams this year.

Crawford if he goes down they have Lehner which was a brilliant move by Stan if Crawford stays healthy he and Lehner will split time and that's as win win.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Judging by effort of AA on ice in recent years not sure about that heartbeat existing
Maybe this will help both players, because we could have replaced Smith with basically any player from our ahl at league minimum and wouldn't have missed a beat, while it sounds like anisimov was a disappointment

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion might be leagues most underrated gm.
come on.
tenor.gif

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
Blues went from dead last in January to Cup winners with a 'meh' roster. No way you can expect to make this claim and be taken seriously.
They did that little acquisition called Ryan OReilly though which put them over the top and got hot at the right time in playoffs. I cannot see any moves Stan made as difference makers (well, except for goalie). So for me they could be anywhere from third place 9if goaltending holds) to 6th place in Central.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
They did that little acquisition called Ryan OReilly though which put them over the top and got hot at the right time in playoffs. I cannot see any moves Stan made as difference makers (well, except for goalie). So for me they could be anywhere from third place 9if goaltending holds) to 6th place in Central.

I disagree with your point. if you look at Chicago last year they ranked 8th overall in scoring.

It was the defense , goaltending and bottom 6 that was awful and the difference in chicago making the playoffs.

If Crawford stays healthy it's a win win having him and Lehner split time . If he goes down Lehner is a true 1 goalie.

Also when Chicago won the cup back in 2013 and 2015 they had solid goaltending .

Defensively adding De HAAN and Maatta solidifies their defense.

Smith , carpenter , Shaw add more grit and energy that was missing

Nylander, Saarela, kubalick, Wedon, Sikura, Dach
Is a nice young high ceiling group of players to insert into the top 6

St Louis highly unlikely to repeat that same magic or tempo of play . History tells us that, Binnington played outstanding for st Louis however is he the real deal or was it just some puck luck.

Darling looked fantastic then a year later was a bust.

Reactions: Geoist and LDF

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Sure anything’s possible. I’m just saying it’s not likely. The Blues are a much better team than the current Hawks. Better balance with great defense and deep forwards and they rode great goaltending. It was a pretty unique way to the Cup going from worst to first and should not be viewed as likely to happen again.
The Hawks have far too many holes compared to their competition, imo.
Likely a bubble team. Could sneak in but I think they miss.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad