Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Sens trade Zack Smith to Chicago for Artem Anisimov

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Being the best regular season team doesn't equate to winning a Stanley cup , history tells us that. Last year st Louis was dead last won the cup, while Tampa won the presidents
trophy they bombed out in round 1.

Chicago has d4astically improved their team hands down , they got better defensively , their entire bottom 6 , goaltending , they added a quite a few young promising forwards.

This team is more balanced and has lots of solid depth.

Could they win the cup sure any team has a chance.

Chicago also got bigger and more physical which has been lacking.
the Bhawks have improve ..... there is no doubt about that. getting that b/u goalie is the icing on the cake.

they are solid and deep, but i will take baby steps here.

the one thing i see is, there is no room for any rookies making the team. there is no place available.

when the Bhawks won the SC they have a great goalie and a really good d-men even thou they were top 4 of 6 d-men.

but in the playoff, anything can happen.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You might want to look at your own GM for a series of strange moves.
Oh I know. Benning is awful. Bowman has been pretty brutal the last few years as well.
Believe me I’m an expert on poor GMs.
I’d be surprised if Bowman lasts much longer in Chicago. But who knows.
The earlier Cups have given him a lot of rope and deservedly so. Just not a fan of his moves this year.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Oh I know. Benning is awful. Bowman has been pretty brutal the last few years as well.
Believe me I’m an expert on poor GMs.
I’d be surprised if Bowman lasts much longer in Chicago. But who knows.
The earlier Cups have given him a lot of rope and deservedly so. Just not a fan of his moves this year.

Don't like adding a Vezina finalist huh?

Reactions: Geoist

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don't like adding a Vezina finalist huh?
They filled one hole. But made some poor moves and still have some big holes especially on defense. It’s a pretty weak group of blue liners imo.
Anyways, I like the positivity. Nothing wrong with that.
Just don’t see much improvement over last year and some poor moves overall. They need to catch a lot of teams to get back to the playoffs and I don’t see that they improved enough.
But as others have said anything is possible. I just don’t think it’s likely.
I’ll leave it at that and move on.

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
It’s funny that you think Melnyk Ian a billionaire.

Most of his value was derived from shares in a company that tanked.

He may be the lowest net worth owner in the league

I'm assuming you mean Biovail?
He founded and ran that company for 20 years taking it from nothing to ~$1 billion in revenue at one point.

Over 20 years he should have amassed an enormous fortune no matter what he eventually got in the sale.

I seriously doubt he's hurting for money.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Unless your team D drastically improves (which could happen) you are getting the Sabres version of Lehner, not the Isles version.

Most likely, but a .916 sv% (his career with Buf) would be a huge improvement over the .897 we got from Ward. That'd be a 21 goal difference using the same number of shots as Ward faced last year.

Hawks finished 6 pts out of a playoff spot. It doesn't take much. The division is going to be brutal, but I think they've improved and an actual training camp under Coliton will help as well.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
the Bhawks have improve ..... there is no doubt about that. getting that b/u goalie is the icing on the cake.

they are solid and deep, but i will take baby steps here.

the one thing i see is, there is no room for any rookies making the team. there is no place available.

when the Bhawks won the SC they have a great goalie and a really good d-men even thou they were top 4 of 6 d-men.

but in the playoff, anything can happen.

I have a feeling Lehner is going to be starting most nights to allow Crawford to stay as healthy as he can , while providing a solid goalie tandem .

I think with Stans off season terror of all the moves and pieces he acquired , will make for a very productive and competitive camp.

I'm on the fence in regards to Perlini, I think Stan only resigns him if in the teams mind Nylander, Dach, Saarela, won't make the team this year.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Chicago makes the weirdest trades sometimes.
They went from a dynasty type team to now missing the playoffs the last couple years. Not saying this is a panic move but they need to do something. They still have too much talent to be a low level team. I’m sure it’s frustratiny for them. Though Smith won’t exactly be their star to take them to the playoffs. But meh.

Unlike the Sens. Anisimov and Duclair shall carry is to the championship!!!! Muahahahah!

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
They filled one hole. But made some poor moves and still have some big holes especially on defense. It’s a pretty weak group of blue liners imo.
Anyways, I like the positivity. Nothing wrong with that.
Just don’t see much improvement over last year and some poor moves overall. They need to catch a lot of teams to get back to the playoffs and I don’t see that they improved enough.
But as others have said anything is possible. I just don’t think it’s likely.
I’ll leave it at that and move on.
They filled a number of holed.

Improved their goaltending immensely.

Added two reliable d-men.

Added a number of reliable penalty killers like Carpenter, Shaw, which was a major weakness last year.

Added a potential top 6 winger to play with Toews and Kane.

All without giving up anything that was going to matter this season.

I think I smell some sour grapes drifting over from the west coast.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I watched most series in the playoffs and I watch other teams pretty regularly. Especially last year, when it was obvious the Hawks were a longshot at best for the playoffs.

I wasn't impressed by anyone in the playoffs really. I look at the Hawks roster right now and I think they could stand toe to toe with anyone in the NHL in a 7 game series.

I can't think of a worse Cup winner than the Blues last year since the 2006 Hurricanes, and I have my realist hat on.

I can't think of another team that has the depth and quality up and down the lineup other than the Lightning. I really can't.
What other team has Saad and Shaw on their 3rd line?

This is awesome. Shaw, CDH, Lehner, and Zach Smith not to mention even older versions of Seabrook , Keith, and Crawford vaulting the Hawks from out of the playoffs to the best team in hockey. Even better than Tampa!

And the Blues won. They beat the best teams. Get over it.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Disagree. They've jumped Winnipeg and Dallas at least. Arguably Nashville.
Best case scenario the Hawks are 1st in the West, IMO.

The Central is a gauntlet, no doubt but I se no reason why they can't come out on top.

Too many people are ignoring what Bowman has done this offseason.

My word.

Reactions: Banded Peak

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
This is a weird offseason for Chicago. Many of the moves have people going...

huh.gif

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Sure anything’s possible. I’m just saying it’s not likely.

The Hawks were fighting for a wild card spot last season when they had a far worse team defensively, on the pk, in net, and in the bottom six. The front office has addressed all of those weaknesses and the team gets an entire summer under Coach Colliton.

The Blues are a much better team than the current Hawks.

The Blues are arguably the weakest team in recent decades to win the Cup. Binnington's true worth as a goalie will be tested this upcoming season. If it wasn't for them catching lightning in a bottle (Binnington) it would have been likely the team never gets in the playoffs.

Better balance with great defense and deep forwards and they rode great goaltending.

They were certainly better than the Hawks overall last season. But we aren't talking about last season, now. Hawks are now much deeper in defense and bottom six forwards, AND they have two proven franchise goalies to share the net next season.

It was a pretty unique way to the Cup going from worst to first and should not be viewed as likely to happen again.

And it isn't the sign of a team with staying power.

The Hawks have far too many holes compared to their competition, imo.

They addressed the holes.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
This is a weird offseason for Chicago. Many of the moves have people going...

huh.gif

Yeah, where are all the big splashy signings like Panarin and Pavelski? It's not like the Hawks have future hall of famers on their team, already. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad