Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Sens trade Zack Smith to Chicago for Artem Anisimov

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Ohhh man my heart just skipped a beat

I saw the cutoff headline in the banner
"Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Se"

I saw the "Se" and thought Chicago managed to get rid of Seabrook :eek::eek::eek:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, Artem Anisimov at least used to be somewhat decent, and he's at least supposed to be good defensively, right? Zack Smith, on the other hand, I consider simply terrible. Cap hit's a thing... but for Senators it's not a concern. At this point, I have to consider Senators the winners.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
They did that little acquisition called Ryan OReilly though which put them over the top and got hot at the right time in playoffs. I cannot see any moves Stan made as difference makers (well, except for goalie). So for me they could be anywhere from third place 9if goaltending holds) to 6th place in Central.

Hawks didn't need players who can score 25+ goals. They have two players, already, who can score 40+ goals. Hawks needed to strengthen the bottom six and their defense. They met their needs, at least on paper. Their needs are not the needs of other teams.

Even with O'Reilly, the Blues have a 'meh' roster.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Ohhh man my heart just skipped a beat

I saw the cutoff headline in the banner
"Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Se"

I saw the "Se" and thought Chicago managed to get rid of Seabrook :eek::eek::eek:

Lol, keep dreaming, my friend.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Yeah, where are all the big splashy signings like Panarin and Pavelski? It's not like the Hawks have future hall of famers on their team, already. :sarcasm:
Like man, don't be throwing stuff at me. If Bowman wants to trade the entire roster for 10 cents on the dollar, I don't care. I am an Oilers fan who will be going through a shitshow for a few more years.

But it starts with losing trades. The goal should be to win trades. Right now he ain't doing that. Man.

tenor.gif

;)

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
Hawks didn't need players who can score 25+ goals. They have two players, already, who can score 40+ goals. Hawks needed to strengthen the bottom six and their defense. They met their needs, at least on paper. Their needs are not the needs of other teams.

Even with O'Reilly, the Blues have a 'meh' roster.

Welp, with that "Meh" roster they won the Cup....So I can gander a guess you think the Hawks are going to win the Cup, Super Bowl, World Series and the Spelling Bee?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sure anything’s possible. I’m just saying it’s not likely. The Blues are a much better team than the current Hawks. Better balance with great defense and deep forwards and they rode great goaltending. It was a pretty unique way to the Cup going from worst to first and should not be viewed as likely to happen again.
The Hawks have far too many holes compared to their competition, imo.
Likely a bubble team. Could sneak in but I think they miss.
People have forgotten that before the season started the Blues were expected to be a very good team.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Maatta
DeHaan
Seabrook
Smith
Murphy
Saad
Shaw

That is a LOT of cap space tied up in underwhelming players, questionmarks or outright cap dumps.

Also spending 11 million on goaltending

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Sure anything’s possible. I’m just saying it’s not likely. The Blues are a much better team than the current Hawks. Better balance with great defense and deep forwards and they rode great goaltending. It was a pretty unique way to the Cup going from worst to first and should not be viewed as likely to happen again.
The Hawks have far too many holes compared to their competition, imo.
Likely a bubble team. Could sneak in but I think they miss.

It's debatable from everyone's different perspectives about Chicago's holes .

Stan has been on a terror with trades and signings this summer fixing Chicago biggest needs.

Defense
De HAAN
Maatta

Bottom 6
Smith
Shaw
Carpenter

Young high ceiling talent never developed properly

Nylander
Saarela

Goaltending
Lehner

Free agent signings over seas
Kubalick
Wedon
Kurshaev

Draft
Dach Center
Vlasick defense

I'd say Chicago on paper is definitely a deeper , grittier and more balanced team overall.

Sure Keith and Seabrook are another year older but Keith won't have to shoulder the workload now and Seabrook can still play as long as he has someone who isn't a rookie and he does bring solid leadership.

I'm not ready to roll out the red carpet for the Stanley cup parade , but Chicago is definitely a deeper, better playoff bound team.

Reactions: LDF

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
People have forgotten that before the season started the Blues were expected to be a very good team.

Yes on paper last year the blue where being projected a solid team.

Chemistry is everything and it took them as a team along with a little luck to find it and go on a great run.

However Binnington their is still a huge question mark is if he is the real deal or just a bust.

Look at niemi he went on after winning the cup and played well but in crunch time caved .

Darling was outstanding then after the cup he was a bust in Carolina,

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Maatta
DeHaan
Seabrook
Smith
Murphy
Saad
Shaw

That is a LOT of cap space tied up in underwhelming players, questionmarks or outright cap dumps.

Also spending 11 million on goaltending

Crawford has had 2 concussions and is in the final year of his contract . Lehner is a number 1 goalie

If Crawford stays healthy Chicago has a great one 2 tandem if he goes Down they have Lehner and chances are Lehner will resign in chicago next year if he plays great.

Also all those players are not underwhelming
They all serve a specific role.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'm assuming you mean Biovail?
He founded and ran that company for 20 years taking it from nothing to ~$1 billion in revenue at one point.

Over 20 years he should have amassed an enormous fortune no matter what he eventually got in the sale.

I seriously doubt he's hurting for money.

He completely bungled his fortune in a series of bad ideas. He bought most of the Senators stake leveraging debt because of his biovail shares but those tanked after he was found guilty of deceiving investors to pump stock value

Eugene Melnyk needs to go

Eugene Melnyk’s last tenure as a CEO ended terribly. Biovail settled for $10-million because they “repeatedly overstated earnings and hid losses in order to deceive investors”. Melnyk himself had to pay a $565,000 fine and was banned from executive roles in publicly-traded Canadian companies for five years. He quitas CEO in 2004 and chariman in 2009 when Biovail stocks never recovered as he’d expected. I hadn’t thought about this before, but repeated misleading of investors kind of puts into question all of Melnyk’s public accounting to the Sens’ finances.

Eugene Melnyk has liquidated nearly every non-Sens asset he owns. Hesold his racing and breeding stock (of horses) back in 2014 after being in the business since 2001 (though he has bought his way back into breeding horses to sell). His $1.5-billion in Biovail shares dropped in value to $600-million under his watch, but he refused to sell them until a hostile takeover and renaming as Valeant Pharmaceuticals — he sold them at $20 per share, less than one-fifth of what they were back up to by early 2013. His only ongoing ventures seem to be two small pharmaceutical startups, but even those he’s quietly sold shares in to help finance himself. His activities seem to be those of a person who is bleeding money and desperately trying to stay afloat.

Melnyk’s financial situation appears dire. Despite his estimated $1.5-billion net worth when he bought the Sens, Melnyk still decided to do nearly half the purchase in debt. He has had to routinely refinance and restructure his debt. He’s had to keep getting extensions on his debt repayment. He reportedly got very upset at Scotiabank over how they were handling his debt, tore up their arena naming agreement (selling the rights to Canadian Tire), and tried to remove their presence completely from the arena before Bettman forced him to not alienate the exclusive Canadian bank sponsor of the NHL. Travis Yost has commented that the interest rates on Melnyk’s most recent loans are “bordering on predatory”. And let’s not forget that the last time Yost reported on Melnyk’s lack of finances, all of his articles were erased due to hacking by a mysterious Ukrainian IP address. He seems to be out of cash, and is financing the Sens with increasingly impossible loans.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
In two years (2000 and 2001) alone he made over $100M in salary, bonuses, and sale of stock.
Biovail boss highest paid

How much did he make over the other 18-19 years?
And how much did/does he make from other companies/investments/etc?

Of course he financed debt in the purchase of the Senators. That's how you protect your money.
Technically he does not own the Senators and it's not his debt though. Capital Sports Holdings owns the Senators and the company incurs the debt, not Melnyk himself.

I'm sure Melnyk is doing just fine.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
you have to admire how boldly bowman shuffles the deck chairs just to do it and takes risks. i doubt a single hawk feels secure outside the big 5.

that being said, i think i like this for ottawa.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
They filled a number of holed.

Improved their goaltending immensely.

Added two reliable d-men.

Added a number of reliable penalty killers like Carpenter, Shaw, which was a major weakness last year.

Added a potential top 6 winger to play with Toews and Kane.

All without giving up anything that was going to matter this season.

I think I smell some sour grapes drifting over from the west coast.
Nope. Just calling it how I see it.
Not a lot of improvement from last years squad. I like the goaltending upgrade. The rest are pretty meh imo.
I think you’re exaggerating the impact of fairly lateral changes.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Crawford has had 2 concussions and is in the final year of his contract . Lehner is a number 1 goalie

If Crawford stays healthy Chicago has a great one 2 tandem if he goes Down they have Lehner and chances are Lehner will resign in chicago next year if he plays great.

Also all those players are not underwhelming
They all serve a specific role.
and this will be a good time for those players mention to have a bounce back yr.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
and this will be a good time for those players mention to have a bounce back yr.

Exactly . Each player needs to exceed his role and expectations this year.

Toews needs to step up his game and lead this team.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Exactly . Each player needs to exceed his role and expectations this year.

Toews needs to step up his game and lead this team.
while it is good for the vets to perform as usual, i am talking about the others who stocked has fallen or coming off an injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad