Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CHI] Sens trade Zack Smith to Chicago for Artem Anisimov

Geoist

May 1, 2015
But it starts with losing trades. The goal should be to win trades. Right now he ain't doing that. Man.

Crapping on the Joki for Nylander trade is understandable if you expect Bowman to play it safe. He's not trying to play it safe, he's swinging for the fences and hoping for another homerun like he got with Strome. AA for Smith is a pretty even trade. AA has more points, but Smith does things the Hawks need and AA doesn't do. AA's services are no longer needed in Chicago, but if you think it will destroy the team trading a useless 3rd liner for someone who can help on the FO dot then I don't know what to say. o_O

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Welp, with that "Meh" roster they won the Cup....

Hey, if you want to think a superior roster would be dead last mid-season then knock yourself out. Meh team got hot at the right time and won the Cup. It sometimes happens and it did this past season. Many have argued it was the weakest Cup-winning team in years, if not ever. I happen to agree.

So I can gander a guess you think the Hawks are going to win the Cup, Super Bowl, World Series and the Spelling Bee?

:yawn:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Really don't see how this helps Chicago at all.

Easy to see the appeal from Ottawa's end. Less actual cash payout for Melnyk, and they get a more versatile player who is more capable of playing further up the lineup as a "filler" at least.

Chicago save a million or so on the cap and add a bit more "grit" i guess...but hardly seems worth it. Even if Strome's emergence in Chicago kinda makes Anisimov less useful...they're shipped a fair bit of talent out the door lately.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
while it is good for the vets to perform as usual, i am talking about the others who stocked has fallen or coming off an injury.

I agree with your point. I'm just pointing out that since toews signed his massive sweet heart contract 5 years ago and is half way through with it, last year he finally had a productive year and earned his salary.
He needs to continue that in order for Chicago to have any chance at regaining their status as cup contenders.

Sometimes a change of scenery re-energizes player , example strome stepped up

Also example of a player who didn't Perlini.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
In two years (2000 and 2001) alone he made over $100M in salary, bonuses, and sale of stock.
Biovail boss highest paid

How much did he make over the other 18-19 years?
And how much did/does he make from other companies/investments/etc?

Of course he financed debt in the purchase of the Senators. That's how you protect your money.
Technically he does not own the Senators and it's not his debt though. Capital Sports Holdings owns the Senators and the company incurs the debt, not Melnyk himself.

I'm sure Melnyk is doing just fine.

The divorce destroyed his wealth imo

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Easy to see the appeal from Ottawa's end. Less actual cash payout for Melnyk, and they get a more versatile player who is more capable of playing further up the lineup as a "filler" at least.

Chicago save a million or so on the cap and add a bit more "grit" i guess...but hardly seems worth it. Even if Strome's emergence in Chicago kinda makes Anisimov less useful...they're shipped a fair bit of talent out the door lately.
Like who? Anisimov? Didn’t play well at all last season. Slow as molasses. Schmaltz? Played super lazy and wanted too much money. Kahun? A third liner who wouldn’t play physical. Jokiharju? Much like the first three players, refused to play physical. There’s a common theme here.

Am I missing something in this thread? The Hawks issues last year were third and fourth line depth, penalty killing, defensive depth, and goalie depth.

Bowman addressed every single one of those, yet the Hawks aren’t any better? Some people are gonna be in for a mad shock.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Like who? Anisimov? Didn’t play well at all last season. Slow as molasses. Schmaltz? Played super lazy and wanted too much money. Kahun? A third liner who wouldn’t play physical. Jokiharju? Much like the first three players, refused to play physical. There’s a common theme here.

Am I missing something in this thread? The Hawks issues last year were third and fourth line depth, penalty killing, defensive depth, and goalie depth.

Bowman addressed every single one of those, yet the Hawks aren’t any better? Some people are gonna be in for a mad shock.
Impressive mental gymnastics here. Especially like the part about moving Jokiharju equating addressing defensive depth. And the part about a 19-year-old defenseman "refusing to be physical". By the way, if "slow as molasses" is an issue to you, have fun with Olli Määttä.

How about shipping Patrick Kane next because he refuses to be physical?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
Chicago didn't have Artemi Panarin for a while and now they don't have Artem Anisimov either. I wonder if they are happy being totally Artem-free?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Impressive mental gymnastics here. Especially like the part about moving Jokiharju equating addressing defensive depth. And the part about a 19-year-old defenseman "refusing to be physical". By the way, if "slow as molasses" is an issue to you, have fun with Olli Määttä.

How about shipping Patrick Kane next because he refuses to be physical?
There’s a difference between putting up 110 points in a season and being non-physical, and being a mediocre defenseman or forward and being non physical.

Impressive mental gymnastics though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There’s a difference between putting up 110 points in a season and being non-physical, and being a mediocre defenseman or forward and being non physical.

Impressive mental gymnastics though.
Because that was your qualifier. You can be "non-physical" and be effective. Being physical is a means, not an end.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

for someone who didnt really like smith at all last year i can tell you how this helps chicago

30 pt forward who gets to play with more talent (a lot more)
can play center or wing
becomes their second best faceoff man (its not much of an improvement overall but an improvement is an improvement especially for chicago who had a huge drop off in that department after toews)
grit (like you mentioned)

this trade is honestly about swapping out two pieces that werent working on their teams anymore and into a better spot, ottawa gets the better player on paper but i think smith will end up being the better fit (especially with shaw)

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
you have to admire how boldly bowman shuffles the deck chairs just to do it and takes risks. i doubt a single hawk feels secure outside the big 5.

that being said, i think i like this for ottawa.

Some hawks fans can't see past anisomov 1 and only quality he is a big center who will stand in front of the net.

Okay that's a fine and dandy, however if you look at anisomov he has been on the decline, he lacks any speed or energy , he has been up and down the lineup and he still can't produce or help elevate his game or teammates.

Smith comes to Chicago , gets a fresh start , save Chicago 1.5 million in cap space which is huge when you consider the salary cap fiasco this year and next year.

Smith wasn't brought in to light the lamp or dazzle the fans , but to simply bring his energy and willingness to go into the corners and grind. His versatility is helpful as well.

Chicago has enough depth now including all these moves Stan has made in a 4 week period to fix Chicago's many weaknesses and holes

Defense
Goaltending
Top 3 pick
A steal of a pick in vlasick that kid is going to be a stud at 6ft 6 and plays sound defensively

Also
The group of forwards Stan targeted Shaw, carpenter

Saarela, kurshaev, Kubalick, Wedon, and Nylander

Colliton will have plenty of depth and competition to evaluate and build a fun exciting team this year.

And Stan didn't screw up his future cap space needed for
Strome and Debrincat resigning

I'd say it's a grade level of B+ A- this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->