Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CAR] Ryan Dzingel for Cedric Paquette and Alex Galchenyuk

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Yup, and to think some of the Habs fanbase though Michel Therrien was shortchanging this headcase. How clueless they were.

The truth is, nobody ever got better performances out of Galchenyuk than Michel Therrien did. And nobody will ever come close.
I wonder who that fact says the most of, Therrien or Galchenyuk?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Carolina absolutely win this deal on Paquette alone. Galchenyuk is a throw in and anything they get out of him is a bonus. Dzingel is a nice guy, but was never a great fit.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
What else is there to say about someone who played a limited amount of games? He played solid when he played. The coach just favored other players for their roles, not against Galchenyuk. :facepalm:
Yes kinda like Arizona...and minny....and pitt.......LOL...;)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina absolutely win this deal on Paquette alone. Galchenyuk is a throw in and anything they get out of him is a bonus. Dzingel is a nice guy, but was never a great fit.
I really don’t have much expectations for Paquette, and none for Galchenyuk, but Dzingel really wasn’t helping Carolina at all. He’s not suited for a 4th line role and right or wrong, it was clear the coach wasn’t going to utilize him differently. It just didn’t work out so you move on.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
GMs when Galchenyuk is on their team.

giphy-downsized.gif

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Paquette was the centerpiece of NHL's most talented forward group's 4th line for years. To say he's not an NHL'er because of a handful of games in the worst team in the league is... interesting to say the least.
I thought the same thing when he was coming into Ottawa, that he would be a solid 4th line guy.
Honestly, after watching every Sens game this season, He looks like he’s done, just a warm body that can play games here and there.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
Dzingle really never found a spot to fit into here in Carolina. Geekie not quite ready so Paquette fills a needed spot.... Plus experience....

Reactions: DaveG

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
You can’t write a player off cause of 9 games

sure but at the same time there is bad and there is what ever the hell he has been doing

maybe its was the system maybe its something secondary im just happy ottawa somehow potentially turned this into a net positive

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
sure but at the same time there is bad and there is what ever the hell he has been doing

maybe its was the system maybe its something secondary im just happy ottawa somehow potentially turned this into a net positive
That applies to Carolina as well. Dzingel hasn’t been good, was a scratch last year in RTP/playoffs, was on the 4th line and the worst 5v5 goal scorer among forwards from last season to today.
Maybe it’s the system, but we thought we were stuck with him and his cap hit. He may get a bigger role and do well in Ottawa, but it wasn’t going to happen in Carolina.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
That applies to Carolina as well. Dzingel hasn’t been good, was a scratch last year in RTP/playoffs, was on the 4th line and the worst 5v5 goal scorer among forwards from last season to today.
Maybe it’s the system, but we thought we were stuck with him and his cap hit. He may get a bigger role and do well in Ottawa, but it wasn’t going to happen in Carolina.

exactly i will not be complaining if its a win win but for anyone to say that any one of these players were playing good or view any of these players based off past performance is a mistake

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
23d5a429a8ea47cb798c1a26a4f06057c5442e7e.jpg

Looks like a win for Ottawa. Seems a little strange Carolina is making this type of trade right now.
In terms of pure skill, yes Ottawa gets the better player. I have to think this ends up being one of these win-win type deals though since, especially with the start that Jarvis, Rees, and Suzuki are having in the A, a PKing 4C that plays a physical game is far more of a need right now for the lineup than yet another skill guy. The ~2M in cap savings (assuming Galchenyuk is sent to the taxi squad) can't be understated either, by the deadline that will prorate to somewhere around 5M in additions that the Canes can make for the playoffs. Using that to get someone like Kuemper or Raanta to go with Mrazek could be the piece needed to win a Cup.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
One of a few nicely dodged bullets by Ottawa. As bad as they are now, it could have been a lot worse if Duchene, Karlsson, Dzingel and Turris were taking up $30m+ between them right now.

Being saying this for years now on the Sens board.

And yet you would be suprised how many posters there would still prefer to have some kind of core based Karlsson/Stone/Zibanejad/Turris/Duchene/Dzingel/Pageau/Hoffman locked up long term here. As This is ignoring the fact that this was not possible, nor did key members like Stone or Karlsson want to be here anymore. Never mind that all of them aside from Stone have taken a step back as players from their Ottawa days .

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Galchenyuk will do well in the KHL just like Jashkin is right now. Not sure if his rights belong to someone in the KHL, but would be good for him to come over. I know he practiced in Dinamo (Moscow) as a teenager.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
In retrospect, Melnyk being cheap probably helped Ottawa in the long run (this time).

Melnyk receives a lot of flak and most of it is warranted but if that core had continuously been a contender I don't doubt he would spent the necessary more to keep them together. They had some good years but also a number of seasons where they didn't meet expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->