Confirmed Trade: [OTT/CAR] Ryan Dzingel for Cedric Paquette and Alex Galchenyuk

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
man, trading a dude you just signed in UFA after 8 games?

not that anyone that isn't washed wants to play in Ottawa, but thats a bad look

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
man, trading a dude you just signed in UFA after 8 games?

not that anyone that isn't washed wants to play in Ottawa, but thats a bad look

Its Galchenyuk...a $1m reclamation project that was liable to be waived at any time if things weren't working out...

I think that most people will understand, and not hold it against them...

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like this for Carolina. As a TB fan, I've seen Paquette be an important piece at important times of the year. When he's healthy (which isn't always the case, admittedly), he has an impact on most games. We miss him on the 4th line. Plays heavy, and other teams hate him.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Sens fans never got a taste of the real Paquette. You could tell he was miserable and devastated by the trade from TB. Went from arguably the best org in the league to the worst, and didn't seem like he was all in with his new team.

This is one of those trades that I think both sides will benefit from. Interesting deal here, I like it for Carolina especially.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sens fans never got a taste of the real Paquette. You could tell he was miserable and devastated by the trade from TB. Went from arguably the best org in the league to the worst, and didn't seem like he was all in with his new team.

This is one of those trades that I think both sides will benefit from. Interesting deal here, I like it for Carolina especially.

Yeah, I think we TB fans are looking at this deal, which isn't even about Paquette, and thinking, "Carolina just got a guy, Paquette, who can win games."

I don't want to make it sound like he's the equivalent of a 20 goal guy. But he makes life miserable for everyone he plays against, and he's an "anything to win" guy. Enjoy him while he lasts, because his style of play ensures a short career. That's a phrase of endearment, believe it or not. He sacrifices a lot to be effective.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, I think we TB fans are looking at this deal, which isn't even about Paquette, and thinking, "Carolina just got a guy, Paquette, who can win games."

I don't want to make it sound like he's the equivalent of a 20 goal guy. But he makes life miserable for everyone he plays against, and he's an "anything to win" guy. Enjoy him while he lasts, because his style of play ensures a short career. That's a phrase of endearment, believe it or not. He sacrifices a lot to be effective.
I mean having a physical presence throughout our lineup is something that we've been missing for a very long time. Svech has shown he's capable and willing to throw some heavy hits, Skjei has had his fair share, Fleury can hit hard, but that's about it. If Paquette can provide a physical edge and throw some heavy hits every game, it absolutely fills a big need for us, especially when we get into the playoffs. We are a little too finesse sometimes, and struggle when teams try to body us, so the more people who can still play our style but give us a physical edge when they're on the ice, the better. And Dzingle was in no way shape or form capable of being that kind of player.

Reactions: DaveG

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean having a physical presence throughout our lineup is something that we've been missing for a very long time. Svech has shown he's capable and willing to throw some heavy hits, Skjei has had his fair share, Fleury can hit hard, but that's about it. If Paquette can provide a physical edge and throw some heavy hits every game, it absolutely fills a big need for us, especially when we get into the playoffs. We are a little too finesse sometimes, and struggle when teams try to body us, so the more people who can still play our style but give us a physical edge when they're on the ice, the better. And Dzingle was in no way shape or form capable of being that kind of player.
Paquette plays a heavy game for his size. Sometimes you see him ride somebody into the boards and you're surprised at how much impact the hit has, because he's not a huge guy.

But it's not really hitting. He definitely does do that, but it's more that he's tough to play against and easy to dislike. He blocks shots. He's the focal point of every scrum.

He also has an underrated shot. He'll surprise you with the odd snipe.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
At first look I think this trade is a win win for both teams. Dzingle played his best hockey in Ottawa as they put him in a position to succeed, while in Carolina he was pushed to far down the depth chart. Carolina has a strong centre group with Aho, Trocheck, Staal who have all been top 5 players for them this season. That being said I find Geekie to be a weak 4C and a guy like Martinook better as a winger. They also need some physical play which Paquette will be able to provide. Galchenyuk is a toss in and probably hits waivers soon.

So while Dzingle will play higher in the lineup and put up more points Carolina gets a player in a position of need and clears cap. Ottawa gets some more speed and a guy that can create on a scoring line.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BTW...Bbinz trades Chucky for Domi, gets one great year out of him and then flips him for Josh Anderson.

Keep that in mind next time you make a silly trade for Habs players. Bbinz has flaws, but trading is not his usual one.

TkachukMyAho

Apr 13, 2007

I agree with this. He was a cap casualty, off to a rebuilding team. I don't like the way he was appearing to pout about it with his play, but it really was a bad scenario for him all around. I think he'll contribute well to a team that will contend.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Doubt Galchenyuk is going to get much playing time in Carolina. I think he's done in the NHL after this year. Would've never guessed that this is where he'd be at just age 27. Paquette I think is a solid depth guy, just wasn't the right fit in Ottawa. Dzingel is pretty meh but he's had success in Ottawa before so who knows, maybe he can net them a 3rd rounder at the TDL and provide some secondary scoring for a team severely lacking in offensive talent.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Paquette plays a heavy game for his size. Sometimes you see him ride somebody into the boards and you're surprised at how much impact the hit has, because he's not a huge guy.

But it's not really hitting. He definitely does do that, but it's more that he's tough to play against and easy to dislike. He blocks shots. He's the focal point of every scrum.

He also has an underrated shot. He'll surprise you with the odd snipe.

Looked like an echl player in Ottawa nobody is going to miss him in the slightest here

Edit: Not sure why my text didn't intially appear after the post.

Last edited:

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Man, if Galchenyuk can get traded again at least a few more times he can match the amount of years he's been in the league. What a great accomplishment that'd be eh?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Paquette might've been the worst player on the worst team in the league this year.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
As if anyone could call this great for either side. It’s a bunch of struggling guys getting a change of scenery.

I think it might work out for both teams. Galchenyuk likely goes on the taxi squad or gets waived here. Hopefully Paquette can get his head out of his ass and play with any type of intensity and not be a liability out there. Same for Dzingel. Tbh Galchenyuk was a lot better than Paquette this year but he doesn't have the reputation.

I think for Carolina they have a better team, maybe that helps Paquette and makes him want it more. For Ottawa they have less depth, so more opportunity for Dzingel who has already played in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->