Post-Game Talk: OTT at NJ: Missed Opportunities

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just don't feel safe with Tallinder at all. He's big, dumb and slow. I still need to be on life support when he's on the PK.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I just don't feel safe with Tallinder at all. He's big, dumb and slow. I still need to be on life support when he's on the PK.

I'll be honest and back track a bit. He isn't terrible. On the PK I don't trust him either, and he was awful against the Isles. But he was ok yesterday. My real beef is he is better suited to be in the press box and not Fayne.

I mean I like Sal too, and I think people are being WAY to hard on him, but I can definitely buy the argument that Tally should be in and maybe Sal should sit for a spell. Volch and Zids have shortcomings, but they do fill specialty roles. Zids moves the puck well. Honestly he had a rough start to the season defensively but I'd say his whole game has improved.

Volch does his job of hitting and shot blocking well, but when he is paired wrong it hurts us because she can't handle the puck at all, and for some reason he gets his wires crossed sometimes and ends up badly out of position at times.

I actually liked the idea of Sal getting the C, but you can definitely argue he is the weakest link in D ATM and could use a sit for a game or two to maybe get his fire back. That damn C prevents it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
So if I understand correctly, I personally find Salvador useless, Bleedred thinks it's Tallinder (no offense), some others are basically comparing Zids to a Foster 2.0 and few ones imply that Volchenkov is a dumb****.

There's obviously something wrong there

trololololol_by_lorefunk.jpg

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Stick him with Volchenkov, Zidlicky and now Tallinder then complain when he can't stop 2 on 1 breaks or cover both posts because his partner is lost in the corner.

16 games though - he's clearly done.

Yet when he was playing with Fayne, we were in the midst of our win streak. Coincidence? I think not!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sal was pretty good with Fayne. Sal, and Volchenkov was like electrocuting myself though.

I don't know what it will take to get Fayne back in the lineup. Maybe a nice beating from Ovechkin and company. Remember Sal actually helped tuck a loose puck under Marty for him to cover yesterday. That's pretty significant in a game we got a point out of. I feel some of his best work comes in the crease.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Sal was pretty good with Fayne. Sal, and Volchenkov was like electrocuting myself though.

I don't know what it will take to get Fayne back in the lineup. Maybe a nice beating from Ovechkin and company. Remember Sal actually helped tuck a loose puck under Marty for him to cover yesterday. That's pretty significant in a game we got a point out of. I feel some of his best work comes in the crease.

Volch was with Zids right? Those pairs actually worked pretty well. I just don't get why Pete went two games with Fayne sitting unless it really is to showcase him (which still makes no sense because you shouldn't have to showcase a vet).

Sal and Volch together...ya there is a reason bad things happen when they are on the ice together. It is so obvious why too, they both handle the puck like a grenade. I don't get why Pete would ever put them together. Sit Fayne? Then break up Green and Larsson so those two have someone who can skate with them.

Who has Tally been paired with the past two games? Was Zids against the Isles, was that what we rolled yesterday?

ILikeItVeryMuch*

The problem with this team is the lack of Tallinder usage.

Tallinder for Captain.

Semak

The problem with this team is the lack of Tallinder usage.

Tallinder for Captain.

Hmmm...might motivate him to tap that goal scoring potential he flashes here and there. I like it. Name him Captain, and he'll lead the league in Defensemen scoring.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Kovalchuk with nearly 28 minutes of TOI in this game. Wouldn't be surprised if he had another injury come playoff time

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kovalchuk with nearly 28 minutes of TOI in this game. Wouldn't be surprised if he had another injury come playoff time

It was an OT game to be fair. Remember how tired he looked at the end of the game? Even Chico brought it up. By the time he took the shootout he fired something weak into the boards. He was down to 21 minutes on Saturday, and I'm glad Pete put a muzzle on him late in the game when it was a lost cause. He was out on the last shift of the 5-1 beating against Pittsburgh which I didn't understand.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It was an OT game to be fair. Remember how tired he looked at the end of the game? Even Chico brought it up. By the time he took the shootout he fired something weak into the boards. He was down to 21 minutes on Saturday, and I'm glad Pete put a muzzle on him late in the game when it was a lost cause. He was out on the last shift of the 5-1 beating against Pittsburgh which I didn't understand.

I think DeBoer is doing a terrible job managing his minutes. At this rate he will be burned out come playoff time. Its the same problem this team had with Marty a few years ago, playing the **** out of him in the regular season to the point that he couldn't bring it in the playoffs.

And yes, I know Kovy was very good in last year's playoffs, but if that is how he plays at half speed, imagine how dominant a FRESH Kovy could be? Doesn't look like we'll be seeing it this year :(

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think DeBoer is doing a terrible job managing his minutes. At this rate he will be burned out come playoff time. Its the same problem this team had with Marty a few years ago, playing the **** out of him in the regular season to the point that he couldn't bring it in the playoffs.

And yes, I know Kovy was very good in last year's playoffs, but if that is how he plays at half speed, imagine how dominant a FRESH Kovy could be? Doesn't look like we'll be seeing it this year :(
Good comparison, and I've said it before.

26+ minutes for Kovy is the new 75+ games a year for Marty.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
So if I understand correctly, I personally find Salvador useless, Bleedred thinks it's Tallinder (no offense), some others are basically comparing Zids to a Foster 2.0 and few ones imply that Volchenkov is a dumb****.

There's obviously something wrong there

It's driving me crazy. None of the Devils defensemen (except maybe Larsson and Fayne) are as bad or good as anyone thinks they are, including me. At some point I just have to sit back and trust that Lou knows what he's doing, because it's the truth.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good comparison, and I've said it before.

26+ minutes for Kovy is the new 75+ games a year for Marty.

There's never been a more apt analogy in the history of analogies lol.

We jest but it really is true. Only difference being with Marty we only worried about his game falling off. Whereas with Kovy we're worried about him going on the shelf or having to play with a bad back again.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's never been a more apt analogy in the history of analogies lol.

We jest but it really is true. Only difference being with Marty we only worried about his game falling off. Whereas with Kovy we're worried about him going on the shelf or having to play with a bad back again.

This is another reason to never wanna see our games go to OT. It gives Kovy that much more time to play. That, and well we suck in shootouts this year! Man I pretty much called that our shootout luck was a one trick pony last year that wouldn't carry over into this one.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I still have no idea. Clarkson mentioned that maybe it was because he jumped in to help Elias, making him the third man.

clarkson.gif

But then why was Neil thrown out? What was the extra penalty too? It was just a weird sequence at the end there.

I don't think we are AS bad in the shootout as we displayed yesterday. That was a level of bad that goes beyond the talent on the roster. They didn't even try to get Bishop to move or drop or anything. Just try and lift it glove side and miss the net completely. Yuck

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I wouldn't be shocked if Sal gets bought out or traded within or after year two. I will be shocked however if he plays all three years with the Devils. He plays like a pylon as it is already...and we have him for two more years?

I don't know if I should laugh or bang my head on my desk.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But then why was Neil thrown out? What was the extra penalty too? It was just a weird sequence at the end there.

I don't think we are AS bad in the shootout as we displayed yesterday. That was a level of bad that goes beyond the talent on the roster. They didn't even try to get Bishop to move or drop or anything. Just try and lift it glove side and miss the net completely. Yuck

I kinda feel is Kovy doesn't score in the shootout then I automatically think our chances go down big time. We won a couple where he didn't score last year, but Zach usually did. Patty is usually hit or miss like most players are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad