Post-Game Talk: OTT at NJ: Missed Opportunities

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Sal got his deal because of his magical goals from last year in the playoffs. They don't expect him to put up 20/20 but I bet Lou was hoping he could chip in randomly.

Currently, both of them can barely hold the zone.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Having 2 players who are offensively Pejorative Slured while eating up close to 7.5M$ of cap space and can't keep up with the pace of today's game wasn't the best move Lou came up with in the past couple of years.

As much as Salvador helped us out during our cup run, Lou had to know that it was a one time thing when looking at his stats since he joined the league. With the surplus of blueliners we already had prior to his signing plus 2 or 3 solid youngsters who are knocking at the door, that signing still has me scratching my head.

Like someone mentionned yesterday, giving Salvador the captaincy basically means that he's now "unscratchable" wich shouldn't be the case cause he's played really poorly since the start of the season.

apice3*

sitting fayne doesnt really affect the chemistry of the team. Thats just reaching.

I still dont think lou is done. Someones gonna go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
sitting fayne doesnt really affect the chemistry of the team. Thats just reaching.

I still dont think lou is done. Someones gonna go.

It does something. We played our best games defensively when Fayne came back and Larsson was inserted into the line up for the Tally-wacker. They shut Pitt and Malkin down, they limited and shut down Tampa/Stamkos, and they kept the Rags quiet too. They played really bad 1st period against Philly, but shut the door when they needed too. It wasn't all Moose and Marty in those games. Fact is there is a pretty big drop in performance when you sub Tally for Fayne. I don't know if its because Fayne is great, Tally is terrible, a mix of the two, or Tally being in over Fayne throws the pairings out of wack.

Funny thing is the D really wasn't THAT bad yesterday.

Last edited:

Oroku Saki*

I thought re-signing Sal was fine but not at the length and of it's +35. He's 37 already.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought re-signing Sal was fine but not at the length and of it's +35. He's 37 already.

Wanted him back, but not for that cap hit. A million less would have been great. Because of his contract I'm still worried 35 year old Zubrus will get as much as he got on his last contract which would suck. Especially coming off a year where he will have been injured most of.

Salvador's contract is like Jay Pandolfo's last one to me. Only a 35+ which Pandolfo's was not.

Unfortunately the signing of Salvador has given us 8 defensemen. It's partially the reason Fayne is sitting right now. If we don't get a good return for Tallinder it won't have been worth it. Not to mention Pete Harrold given a one way contract, and he's played 1 game all year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
and while we're debating small vs big pads, I think Tommy Soderstrom gets the record for smallest pads by a goalie playing during Brodeur's career.

tommy_soderstrom_hol_20.jpg

356694_display_image.jpg

Soderstrom was terrible though! :laugh::laugh: I think his were a little wider than Marty's there.

While we're talking about that era and the small pads, coach Terreri wore very small equipment all over. Until the day he retired, and him wearing those little pads while the other goalies started to become stuffed mushrooms caused his demise. Terreri was barely serviceable later in his career cause he was so tiny, and left a lot of net open.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sal got his deal because of his magical goals from last year in the playoffs. They don't expect him to put up 20/20 but I bet Lou was hoping he could chip in randomly.

Currently, both of them can barely hold the zone.

No he didn't, everyone and their grandmother knew that was a fluke, just like Jay Pandolfo's six-goal postseason in '03. Personally, I think he got that contract for off-ice reasons, not on-ice ones. It made no earthly sense to bring him back otherwise with the glut on D.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
It does something. We played our best games defensively when Fayne came back and Larsson was inserted into the line up for the Tally-wacker. They shut Pitt and Malkin down, they limited and shut down Tampa/Stamkos, and they kept the Rags quiet too. They played really bad 1st period against Philly, but shut the door when they needed too. It wasn't all Moose and Marty in those games. Fact is there is a pretty big drop in performance when you sub Tally for Fayne. I don't know if its because Fayne is great, Tally is terrible, a mix of the two, or Tally being in over Fayne throws the pairings out of wack.

Funny thing is the D really wasn't THAT bad yesterday.

Fayne out doesn't make the team unable to execute the team system correctly, I know Mark's better than Tallinder but not by Nicklas Lidstrom to Jack Johnson margin. Let's not go too far, It's more of a coincidence.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
No he didn't, everyone and their grandmother knew that was a fluke, just like Jay Pandolfo's six-goal postseason in '03. Personally, I think he got that contract for off-ice reasons, not on-ice ones.

I think you're getting closer to the truth...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The D kinda was bad yesterday, despite the one goal. Ottawa had a ton of chances and no luck on a couple. No it wasn't another five goal game but it certainly wasn't the Pittsburgh masterpieces either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No he didn't, everyone and their grandmother knew that was a fluke, just like Jay Pandolfo's six-goal postseason in '03. Personally, I think he got that contract for off-ice reasons, not on-ice ones.

I think he did too. I don't think Sal has been abysmal, but when we have 7 NHL defensemen, it's BS to begin with. This isn't a defensive team anymore, and I don't get why the need to have all this. Because of it Fayne has to sit, and Sal's captaincy if he sucks makes him unsittable.

I'm still wondering if Kovy not getting the captaincy was a PR thing. After the stuff in Russia it might look bad from our standpoint to give him the C. It's worth questioning, and thinking about.

The D kinda was bad yesterday, despite the one goal. Ottawa had a ton of chances and no luck on a couple. No it wasn't another five goal game but it certainly wasn't the Pittsburgh masterpieces either.
It was really nothing special against a depleted squad. The sequence where Alfie was left all alone too. Nice one. If it was Pittsburgh we would have been down by a lot. Consider the fact it was a depleted team, and yeah the D wasn't great.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think they brought Sal back partly because they didn't want Kovy to be captain anyway, even before the All Star game nonsense. Stevens got the C and he didn't want to be here period lol.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

We had no need for A-Train 2.0 with a little better puck skills. We already had 7 NHL caliber d-men and now we have to rotate Fayne, who's arguably a top #3 on our blueline cause of the logjam Lou created on the backend.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
No he didn't, everyone and their grandmother knew that was a fluke, just like Jay Pandolfo's six-goal postseason in '03. Personally, I think he got that contract for off-ice reasons, not on-ice ones. It made no earthly sense to bring him back otherwise with the glut on D.

He got a 3 year deal because they knew he was a fluke? You don't sign someone to be your captain, which is essentially what you said. If lou did that then that was a terrible mistake and I don't know if Lou would make that level of one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I still have this theory that Lou wants this team to be a defensive team. Not that he wants Pete to change his system, but he loves the identity of the Devils and defense first. So with that keeping all these defensemen helps keep that spirit alive. Call me crazy, but I've been getting that feeling for a while now.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I still have this theory that Lou wants this team to be a defensive team. Not that he wants Pete to change his system, but he loves the identity of the Devils and defense first. So with that keeping all these defensemen helps keep that spirit alive. Call me crazy, but I've been getting that feeling for a while now.

Lou wants us to be solid defensively , no doubt. But, first he wants us to win. Whatever gets that done, Lou will take it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He got a 3 year deal because they knew he was a fluke? You don't sign someone to be your captain, which is essentially what you said. If lou did that then that was a terrible mistake and I don't know if Lou would make that level of one.

Signing him to be a leader is infinitely smarter than signing him expecting new and improved offense from a 36-year old with eight points last regular season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lou wants us to be solid defensively , no doubt. But, first he wants us to win. Whatever gets that done, Lou will take it

I think we're wasting our time with so many defensemen. I don't think we're gonna get the return we hoped for from Tallinder. He's got one year left after this on a contract that isn't very good.

Also another thing on Salvador which we heard straight from him himself. He asked the Devils to match the offers he got. So other teams offered him what we gave him, but he asked us to match. We did, and now we have to pay him that.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Playing solid defense is one thing. Having players who are stuck skating in cement boots is another. In today's NHL, you need a mix of mobility and defensive awareness to be known as a true defensive stud. Sal and A-Train are both missing the 1st quality I just mentionned above.

The only thing that's on our side is the fact that during the post season, the game is much tighter and there's little to no space for opposing forwards, so maybe that's where Lou sees the necessaty of landing guys like them, who knows :dunno:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fayne out doesn't make the team unable to execute the team system correctly, I know Mark's better than Tallinder but not by Nicklas Lidstrom to Jack Johnson margin. Let's not go too far, It's more of a coincidence.

I don't think it is a coincidence, but like I said I don't think it is just due to Fayne's ability. A combo of him being better then Tallinder, Tallinder being terrible, and the pairings just working better when he is in the lineup instead of out. (most of the games he missed we got the god awful Sal-Volch pair which plays a big role in us getting rolled in those games). He usually makes the grenade handler next to him play better. It isn't because Fayne is Lidstrom, but fact he our defense and PK play horrendously when he isn't in the lineup.

I had a thought. I know a few people said the place was silent despite being packed. Monday's game was part of a living social dead. Think that played into it as well as the play on the ice?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Signing him to be a leader is infinitely smarter than signing him expecting new and improved offense from a 36-year old with eight points last regular season.

You sign a player to perform whether it is as defensive stalwart who can chip in points or to be a scoring machine. you don't sign players to 35+ deals because they are good dealers but can't offer a damn at 1 end of the ice and is losing a step at the other end. That is a recipe for disaster and that is why you don't see a lot of vet players signing with NHL teams; they don't have the ability any more despite their age, wisdom, and leadership may provide.

I refuse to believe Sal was signed to be the captain because that is terrible management for a player that most could have predicted would have trouble within 2 years and possibly this year let alone 3. If this is why he was signed then Langs and Parise leaving scarred Lou more than I had thought. Although we are on our way to having another short term captain with Sal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad