Post-Game Talk: OTT at NJ: Missed Opportunities

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Kovalchuk playing like a massive train wreck defensively when on the left side... check.

ok, im going to call this one. when? when have you ever seen him on the left during his stint here in NJ? he’s been a RW pretty much from the get go, as far as I can remember. so when was he a massive train wreck on LW in a devils sweater? please and thanks

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's not like the Sens cashed in on their missed opportunities. Kovy made a "skate save" when we were on the PP, Alfie missed a wide open net when they were on the PP, etc...

We played like crap against a depleated squad and didn't warrant a single point IMO, so getting 1 doesn't feel all that bad.

I understand it's a game of inches and each team had a chance. What can you do, honestly. The only thing that I can say is that at least, if we're losing at all, we're picking up a point half the time. In this short season, it is still important. Even if we didn't earn it.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

ok, im going to call this one. when? when have you ever seen him on the left during his stint here in NJ? he’s been a RW pretty much from the get go, as far as I can remember. so when was he a massive train wreck on LW in a devils sweater? please and thanks

He's been a trainwreck in Atlanta for his entire time there and we, the organisation that is known to play "smart hockey", chose to put him in a situation that would advantage the team, wich is the right side.

It's 10x harder for a RW'er to get a pass on the left side cause more often then not, you'll be getting it on your backhand and it just makes it that more difficult to clear the zone properly and vice versa.

It's no coincidence that his overall game is leap and bounds better then it was when he played in Atlanta ;)

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
He's been a trainwreck in Atlanta for his entire time there and we, the organisation that is known to play "smart hockey", chose to put him in a situation that would advantage the team, wich is the right side.

It's 10x harder for a RW'er to get a pass on the left side cause more often then not, you'll be getting it on your backhand and it just makes it that more difficult to clear the zone properly and vice versa.

It's no coincidence that his overall game is leap and bounds better then it was when he played in Atlanta ;)

so, long story shot, youre basing kovalchuk’s ‘train wreck LW’ tendencies on the way he played in 2009 while a member of the ATLANTA THRASHERS. gotcha. and you think its his switch to RW that’s led to his ‘leaps and bounds better defensively’ statement, which cant be substantiated because he’s never been given the opportunity to play LW here. gotcha. and, to summarize, youre saying that since its “10x harder’ to receive a pass coming out of your zone on the LW, he’s better on the right. so, essentially, kovy can’t one time his blast from the left naturally, but its ok because now he doesn’t have to receive passes on his backhand, a feat that gretzky himself couldn’t pull off. gootttchhaaaa.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
so, long story shot, youre basing kovalchuk’s ‘train wreck LW’ tendencies on the way he played in 2009 while a member of the ATLANTA THRASHERS. gotcha. and you think its his switch to RW that’s led to his ‘leaps and bounds better defensively’ statement, which cant be substantiated because he’s never been given the opportunity to play LW here. gotcha. and, to summarize, youre saying that since its “10x harder’ to receive a pass coming out of your zone on the LW, he’s better on the right. so, essentially, kovy can’t one time his blast from the left naturally, but its ok because now he doesn’t have to receive passes on his backhand, a feat that gretzky himself couldn’t pull off. gootttchhaaaa.

I know this is your personal crusade so don't mind me but...

Kovy skated up the LW side of the ice half the game yesterday. Lining up at RW for faceoffs and covering the right point is about the extent of that limitation for him. He's also on the left side for the powerplay.

Count the number of times he entered the zone on the left side then did his patented pull up and pass as he let his linemates go by. Now count the number of times he went to the right.

He crosses over at mid-ice if not leaving the D zone anyways so to me it's a null issue. But keep chipping away and I'll buy you some soap stone and a Rita Haworth poster to keep the screws off your back.

andy1.jpg

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

you missed the part earlier where he said, when in the offensive zone there are no sides. because we know how much he floats around in the offensive zone. still being able to "blast" his one timer.

but the fact that hes starting defensive zone face offs on the right and when back checking, getting to the RW, it makes it much easier to leave and/or enter the zones.

but i understand attacking certain sentences and phrases on the internet are the go to move in arguments, rather then just making good counter points. so no harm done.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
No excuses, the team didn't look good, but neither did the refs. No call on the elbow to Carters head and why did Clarkson get tossed when Neil ripped off his helmet. :shakehead

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I know this is your personal crusade so don't mind me but...

Kovy skated up the LW side of the ice half the game yesterday. Lining up at RW for faceoffs and covering the right point is about the extent of that limitation for him. He's also on the left side for the powerplay.

Count the number of times he entered the zone on the left side then did his patented pull up and pass as he let his linemates go by. Now count the number of times he went to the right.

He crosses over at mid-ice if not leaving the D zone anyways so to me it's a null issue. But keep chipping away and I'll buy you some soap stone and a Rita Haworth poster to keep the screws off your back.

andy1.jpg

im only typing this again because youre RG :laugh:

I understand that he drifts to the left. I get that. hell, if he hadn’t drifted over to the left this year he would have 0 goals. what im saying is, why not just keep him there all the time. a 3 on 2 with kovy on the right is nerf **** compared to having him on the left, ready to let a bomb go. get him on a line w/cycling, let him drift to the left circle and get him the puck when youre done grinding. instead, he may enter the zone on the left but if the play isn’t there, youll see him crossing the ice back to the RW to start backchecking. he’s on a line w zajac- im not looking for him to be selke candidate- we need goals. let him do what he does best.

hes really not on the left on the PP, I must point out. sometimes he is (when he scores) but mostly hes at the point…which im not a fan of, but I’ll take it.

for the millionth time- I get everyone’s points. just pointing out his 0 goals on the right side of the ice, and almost all of the rest from the left. just the facts, ma’am.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
you missed the part earlier where he said, when in the offensive zone there are no sides. because we know how much he floats around in the offensive zone. still being able to "blast" his one timer.

but the fact that hes starting defensive zone face offs on the right and when back checking, getting to the RW, it makes it much easier to leave and/or enter the zones.

but i understand attacking certain sentences and phrases on the internet are the go to move in arguments, rather then just making good counter points. so no harm done.

i've addressed his concerns a million times on here. was just stating a fact. thank you for explaining the internet to me, though

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That game felt like I was watching NCAA hockey.

In other news, both Tallinder and Salvador were terrible again.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
True. But fayne out and Tallinder in hurts. Obviously don't expect 1 to nothing wins. But maybe getting underway on D will help open up scoring.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
im only typing this again because youre RG :laugh:

I understand that he drifts to the left. I get that. hell, if he hadn’t drifted over to the left this year he would have 0 goals. what im saying is, why not just keep him there all the time. a 3 on 2 with kovy on the right is nerf **** compared to having him on the left, ready to let a bomb go. get him on a line w/cycling, let him drift to the left circle and get him the puck when youre done grinding. instead, he may enter the zone on the left but if the play isn’t there, youll see him crossing the ice back to the RW to start backchecking. he’s on a line w zajac- im not looking for him to be selke candidate- we need goals. let him do what he does best.

hes really not on the left on the PP, I must point out. sometimes he is (when he scores) but mostly hes at the point…which im not a fan of, but I’ll take it.

for the millionth time- I get everyone’s points. just pointing out his 0 goals on the right side of the ice, and almost all of the rest from the left. just the facts, ma’am.

I should have said left point on the PP. He crosses over and back with Zids and even drifts down low to the backdoor like the pass from Elias yesterday. He floats all over but in general he ends up on the left point mostly.

Carry on.

Oroku Saki*

Pete messed with chemistry which is so vital. He put Tallinder in and it seems everyone has been effected by it.

Greene - Salvador
Fayne - Larsson
Volchenkov - Zidlicky

Sal is struggling. Let him play with Greene. I really don't want to break up Greene - Larsson but I think those would be the best pairings. Maybe put Larsson and Volch together and let Fayne watch after Zids.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pete messed with chemistry which is so vital. He put Tallinder in and it seems everyone has been effected by it.

Greene - Salvador
Fayne - Larsson
Volchenkov - Zidlicky

Sal is struggling. Let him play with Greene. I really don't want to break up Greene - Larsson but I think those would be the best pairings. Maybe put Larsson and Volch together and let Fayne watch after Zids.

Better to mix up the left and right handed shots.

But get Tallinder to the players suite please.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I get that Tallinder might be being showcased for a trade but I don't think it's right that Fayne is the odd man out. Sit Volch for a few games.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
While Fayne should be in over Tallinder, anyone who thinks that move "messed up the team chemistry" is kidding themselves. The Devils have simply played like crap the past couple games and no one defenseman could change that.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
While Fayne should be in over Tallinder, anyone who thinks that move "messed up the team chemistry" is kidding themselves. The Devils have simply played like crap the past couple games and no one defenseman could change that.

Agreed. It's been a team effort. Even if you want to make that excuse for the D, what excuse do the forwards have?

Oroku Saki*

I get that Tallinder might be being showcased for a trade but I don't think it's right that Fayne is the odd man out. Sit Volch for a few games.

Coaches disagree. He gets made out to be trash here. Sit Sal. If he whines, strip the C.

Oroku Saki*

The pairings were looking good finally. Fayne comes out, pairings changed, we play terrible. It's not the only reason but it is a part of the problem.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Coaches disagree. He gets made out to be trash here. Sit Sal. If he whines, strip the C.

Look, I like the guy. He'll do anything for the team and I think everyone really respects that. That said, he's lost several steps. He's almost always behind the play, contributes nothing offensively, and usually the only good plays he makes are making up for a bad one that preceded it.

Now he's not the only problem. Tallinder has been worse, and Sal has been very poor as well. But Tallinder is really the only trade-able guy so they are, presumably, showcasing him for a deal and you can't really sit your captain.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Volch and Sal are very frustrating in the o zone. Maybe Sal just waits for the postseason to dig out his lucky horseshoe.

Oroku Saki*

Volch and Sal are very frustrating in the o zone. Maybe Sal just waits for the postseason to dig out his lucky horseshoe.

They are supposed to suck at offense. :laugh:

I still love Sal's leg lift like he is a dog peeing on a fire hydrant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad