Post-Game Talk: OTT at NJ: Missed Opportunities

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ben Bishop is a blimp!:sarcasm:

Anyway yeah crap game. Dare I say worst effort all year? It wasn't a blowout, but the Isles game was so lopsided because we couldn't kill penalties. Throw in that cluster**** with Zidlicky, Tallinder, and Moose coming out in the last minute of the game that even further skewed the score.

This game yes missed opportunity is a good phrase. Couldn't cash in against a heavily depleted Senators team missing possibly the best defensemen in the league, one of the better forwards in the league, another top forward for them, and their backup goalie in the cage.

apice3*

I don't think it was because of lack of effort. The D was solid all game long, the team looked good in the first.

I think we just ran out of gas. 3 games in less than 72 hours, with some traveling in between.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've been saying it for a year at least. We particularly have problems with these big goalies. Some other teams might as well, but I feel we have problems with big goalies who wear big equipment. I'm not sure why this is. In the playoffs I feel we can beat any goalie cause we beat the two walls Clemmensen, and Lundqvist. Both goalies who are heavy on the equipment.

Part of the reason is possibly that we can't put on a good screen. We've had some beautiful screens like Salvador's goal on Lundqvist in game 4 of the ECF comes to mind. Clarkson put a nice screen on Ward against the Canes. Zubrus was our best screen.

apice3*

Elias was the only one who hit the net in the shootout. I don't think Bishop even flinched. He just let it hit him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think it was because of lack of effort. The D was solid all game long, the team looked good in the first.

I think we just ran out of gas. 3 games in less than 72 hours, with some traveling in between.

It's funny cause in many ways this game was a carbon copy of last years game against Florida at home in the afternoon. I don't expect everyone to remember every game including meaningless games like that. Only that game didn't go to OT.

It was in February after the ASB, and was our first regulation loss in like 6 or 7 games. Bernier scored about two minutes in much like Gio did today. Team was flat for the rest of the game. Kovy broke his stick on the the empty net. After the game Pete said the team ran out of gas.

Semak

Elias was the only one who hit the net in the shootout. I don't think Bishop even flinched. He just let it hit him.

That annoyed me. No one tried to deke or get him to move. I would think with a big goalie you would try to get him moving to find a hole or angle for your shot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Bishop flinched on many of the shots. That's only gonna start that argument again!:laugh:

Let's be serious though. A lot of these shots were at his crest which is crossbar height, or point shots with no rebounds. Loose pucks at the side of the net. Bad angle shots too. A couple that were deflected out of the play.

It's no secret, but you need a whole lot of screens and deflections to beat this goaltender. That and some rebounds. That's how Gio got the first goal. This goalie doesn't give you a lot to shoot at, but it's the truth.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We're just ballbreakers. We've had the goaltender who's wore the smallest equipment in the league for 20 years now. We have a certain arrogance about us because of it. Me personally I remember the days of small goalies that wore small equipment. Ron Hextall, and Tom Barrasso were some of the biggest goalies in the league when I was growing up. Not Bishop big, but the biggest there were. Their equipment was ridiculously little compared to now.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Actually, I hope this is the case. I'll have an easier time living with that than it actually being pure laziness/lack of effort. What gives me pause, though, is that it wasn't just this game, but the previous two as well. Sloppy and uninspired in all three.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
Actually, I hope this is the case. I'll have an easier time living with that than it actually being pure laziness/lack of effort. What gives me pause, though, is that it wasn't just this game, but the previous two as well. Sloppy and uninspired in all three.

The Devils have been a streaky team the past few seasons. I'm not concerned. They will take the 2 days to fuel up and this ship will be righted soon.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The Devils have been a streaky team the past few seasons. I'm not concerned. They will take the 2 days to fuel up and this ship will be righted soon.

Yeah when I step back from the emotions of this particular game, this is more or less the conclusion I come to as well. As I mentioned earlier, this team always amazes me with it's ability to look like a well oiled machine one week, then a rusty old jalopy the next. You just have to hope the team is going into the playoffs on a winning streak and not a losing one.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I'm just mad that both of the teams managed to get at least a point out of this game. I'm not even mad we lost the 2nd point. I just think it was embarrasing to watch a hockey game being played like that.

The Devils have certainly hit a lull, and it's a pretty bad lull from what we could see in this game. Let's hope they will regroup for Thursday's game and that Carter is OK. An injury just screws up the entire look of this team. The lines in this game were laughable.

Just forget and move on and be happy about the point we got.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The scouting report on Loktionov was certainly accurate. Weak along the boards, passable D, bad at faceoffs (he went 4 for 11), but if you play him with skill players, he finds them with passes. I liked his work ethic though. And he sounds like he's got a good attitude.

Butler should be on the top line. Need to see if he can still impress against top competition.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Butler on the top line isn't a bad idea. Considering Matteau was on that line, and I felt that didn't work at all. Now with Poni they had a monster game against Philly, but a snoozer the last two. Which is okay because most of the lines did.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
What really surprises me about Butler is his ability along the boards. He seems pretty strong for his size, and he's turned some puck battles into real nice plays.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What really surprises me about Butler is his ability along the boards. He seems pretty strong for his size, and he's turned some puck battles into real nice plays.

One thing that is a big problem with him is ringing it off the pipe. I remember him hitting the post in an Albany game 2 or 3 times in OT alone, and his shootout attempt as well. That was before Henrique was injured when he was playing pretty meh.

He hit a post against the Isles, I think he hit one today too? Didn't he? He hit one against the Pens which Henrique put in the rebound!:laugh:

I feel we could use his scoring. I just don't know why Pete feels the need to play Barch every game. Barch has done a fine job as the resident goon, but it's not needed every game. That's why he averages 50 games a year. He's one of those interchangeable guys that you can put in and out of the lineup.

Semak

Of course I would never wish an injury on anyone, but had Carter been injured and out for awhile, it would have forced Pete to break up CBGB and try something else. He's giving them 3rd line minutes and giving guys like Butler, JJ, and now Loktionov 4th line miuntes and worse yet while Barch is riding shot gun.

I understand he trusts them and they generally do a good job but the team needs scoring, and the better offensive players, who are doing a decent job on D as well, need more minutes. And Bernier who is playing well, needs to play with better line mates. You want to keep Barch in the line up? ok, but play him with Carter and Gionta. Re-unite CBGB when the team needs a spark of energy or in the POs.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The 1st line is having trouble to maintain a decent puck possession and both Butler/Kovalchuk are definitely better suited to play a perimeter hockey, they shouldn't play together. I think Poni's skills are fitting with the 1st line.

If Butler should play on a top line it's with Henrique and Elias, but Clarkson is already playing there.

When Barch will be on his way out for the playoffs, Butler will be fine with Poni/Zubrus and Loktionov/Josefson on the 3rd line.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Of course I would never wish an injury on anyone, but had Carter been injured and out for awhile, it would have forced Pete to break up CBGB and try something else. He's giving them 3rd line minutes and giving guys like Butler, JJ, and now Loktionov 4th line miuntes and worse yet while Barch is riding shot gun.

I understand he trusts them and they generally do a good job but the team needs scoring, and the better offensive players, who are doing a decent job on D as well, need more minutes. And Bernier who is playing well, needs to play with better line mates. You want to keep Barch in the line up? ok, but play him with Carter and Gionta. Re-unite CBGB when the team needs a spark of energy or in the POs.

One word: Barch

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

For me I don't see why we have to play Barch against the Sens, Caps, Canes, Jets, etc. If he's in the lineup against those teams, then he's in the lineup. I just don't think it should be a necessity or a prerequisite to play him in ever game. He's the kind of player who never has dressed for every game anyway.

He's isn't a hack or a liability like Janssen, or Boulton was last year. Though he's allergic to offense pretty much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->