Post-Game Talk: OTT at NJ: Missed Opportunities

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I feel like the terms ‘pylon’ and ‘cone’ are getting tossed around too often here with our defensemen.

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
Kind of getting to harsh towards our team recently :)
That's why I'd love to remind us all that we are tied for 1st in Atlantic and have just recently destroyed some of our favourite foes (i.e. almost all of them) :yo:
7a3f5aca-0024-419d-a935-14ff769864c5.jpg

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
They are. People forget how bad Fraser and Foster were.

Totally.

Tallinder might be our best skating defenseman. It's a pleasure to watch him skate it out of the zone from time to time.

Salvador's re-signing was a mistake, but he's a still a serviceable shutdown defenseman. The main issue is that we don't need both him and Volchenkov on the same team.

Overall the Devils, while not playing great by any means, have given NJ fans relatively little to complain about.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Totally.

Tallinder might be our best skating defenseman. It's a pleasure to watch him skate it out of the zone from time to time.

Salvador's re-signing was a mistake, but he's a still a serviceable shutdown defenseman. The main issue is that we don't need both him and Volchenkov on the same team.

Overall the Devils, while not playing great by any means, have given NJ fans relatively little to complain about

Which is sadly, if you read the boards over the past week, what a majority of NJ fans are doing.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like the terms ‘pylon’ and ‘cone’ are getting tossed around too often here with our defensemen.

how about "garbage", "sucks" and irrelevant references to former subpar players?
I feel like those are getting left in the dust.

Semak

Never been a fan of using the term "garbage" in reference to a player. Yeah sure in the heat of the moment while watching a game you can blurt out things but once it's over you should be able to calm down and find a more articulate way to speak your mind.

As much as I was disappointed in the loss after I realized the team is still better than I anticipated to start the year and Lou and Pete are working to find that missing piece to go on another run. This team might be in a bit of a slump but don't think for a minute that this team isn't ready to sacrifice themselves for each one more time just to finish the mission they left unfinished. They are still a tight group. Imagine rooting for any of the other tri-state area teams. Gives me the heebee jesbees.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't want to pick on any particular d-man. That's counter productive. All I WILL say is that even in games we win, their ability to clear the zone is atrocious haha

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I'd argue that it is Larsson. His top end speed isn't great, but he is very agile on his skates for his size.

I feel like we've never even seen where Larsson's top end speed could be (at least not in-game). From what I've seen/can remember, I feel like he's barely taken on the role (or been given the opportunity) of being the guy actually skating the puck up the ice/taking the zone. For the most part, he's been a guy making the breakout pass, or in some cases being the defenseman trailing on the play. I don't think his top end speed is exactly earth shattering, but most of the speed we have seen from him has been a product of his stride and overall agility/mobility. And we haven't seen much of him having to sprint back because he got terribly beat on a play going towards his own net (which isn't a bad thing).

If he was on the PP, perhaps say in the role of Zidlicky, I think we would get a better feel of what his speed really is. Again, probably not anything too amazing, but I think he could be a little faster than the way he has played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad