Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Derek Stepan for 2021 2nd round pick

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Stepan sucks now. As soon as he got his first big contract he turned into lazy slob. Honestly, he should be out of the league at this point.

[MOD]

Stepan was a mid 50s player before the contract, and then posted three straight seasons of mid 50s after.

It wasn't until a year after the trade, a full 4 years after the contract was signed tnat he started to fade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I mean, I guess? Stepan didnt look like he had much left in the tank. I guess a vet presence for the young guys has some benefit. I guess a 2nd in a slightly weaker draft doesn't ammount to much. Sure, whatever I guess.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Your point isn't very good if the Senators want an actual NHL player, though.

I do agree that the trade sucks.

Well people are defending this trade on the basis that he’s a good veteran presence for the team. Fair enough, that’s important, but it’s not 2nd round pick important.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Senators needed a center really f***ing bad. I would have offer myself if Chris f***in Tierney was #1C going into the season

To be honest Stepan probably isn't more than a bottom 6 C on a playoff team these days. And not even one of the best ones at that.

Not a whole lot of jump with him. Can make safe veteran plays, pull of something offensively you'd expect from a 50 point guy-of the past here and there, as well as say the right things as a veteran when the room needs to hear something.. but overall his impact in the game isn't all that strong.

Tierney has outproduced him over the last couple years with similar minutes.

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Horrible ROI for Arizona.

Trade was bad at the time and now looks even worse, I guess at least Andersson looks like a bust.
Rangers at-least got a late 2nd round pick for Lias Andersson so the trade tree goes on.

Arizona still got Raanta out of the NY deal so it might not be that bad if Antti can stay healthy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
People saying "it's only a 2nd the Sens have lots of them" are not seeing the bigger picture. That 2nd could be used to move up in the draft...to possibly go fro an early 2nd to a late 1st to target a prospect you really want.

Stepan and his 10 goals and 28 points cost the Sens a 2nd rd pick and $2 million in real money
Soderberg and his 17 goals and 35 points cost Chicago nothing and $1 million in real money

Hell...for $2.7 in real money the Sens could of had Soberberg and Duclair.....all while keeping the 2nd.

Sens clearly wasted the 2nd rd pick away.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Probably is to someone who is like 16. That's damn near double their entire life.

But it isn't, and he isn't an old goat. lol
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be 30 again. I'm old enough to remember hoping Stepan's dad would make the team.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Dear Lord, people acting like a 2nd round pick is a shoe in to become a Hart trophy winner. Calm down people.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Good veteran center for the Sens youngsters.

Bold prediction: Stepan bounces back after getting away from a team that seems to suck the life out of every forward on it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Which GM? I f***ing love this as an AZ fan. Stepan gives garbage effort and is continually slowing. Ottawa can't find a better player for $2m cash.
And keep that second rounder too. This trade just makes no sense from the Sen’s POV. Great deal for the Coyotes though. That second round pick will likely be a nothing player, but there’s a decent enough chance that guy could become a valuable piece in their line up, and at a time when they need an ELC player contributing to keep cap costs down.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Good veteran center for the Sens youngsters.

Bold prediction: Stepan bounces back after getting away from a team that seems to suck the life out of every forward on it.

Unlikely, considering Rick Tocchet coached and favored Stepan like he was Sidney Crosby.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
[MOD]

Stepan was a mid 50s player before the contract, and then posted three straight seasons of mid 50s after.

It wasn't until a year after the trade, a full 4 years after the contract was signed tnat he started to fade.
Regardless of all this, is Stepan worth a second rounder? Imo, Arizona did well in this trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Unlikely, considering Rick Tocchet coached and favored Stepan like he was Sidney Crosby.

There's just something about that team.

I've got nothing against the Yotes, but you have to admit basically everyone on that team produces below their talent level.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Every time I read a trade thread like this I can't help but wonder why people make a second round pick sound like one of the single most valuable trading chips a team can part with. Like it's almost to the point where a second round pick is worth more than a 1st.
Its not clearly. But they are bidding against themselves. A 3rd or a 4th likely would have gotten it done. But I do understand his value to a young Ottawa team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad