Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Derek Stepan for 2021 2nd round pick

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Wolanin is one of the few defensive prospects who was on the cusp of really breaking out. Unfortunately, he suffered a torn labrum in camp and missed ~four months. Good vision, smooth player.

Lajoie made some noise early but I think expectations are a bit more muted now.

I expect Zaitsev and Gudbranson to play the other two positions in the top four.

Some are hoping Gudbranson plays the Methot role with Chabot but giving him that much ice time could be disastrous.

That leaves Zub, Brown, Coburn, Reilly and Brannstrom.

It really boggles the mind why we have so many mediocre defencemen.

I agree, and that has been my observation as well. It seems like Ottawa loaded up on bottom pairing defenders, so it seems like that was an area to address with decent stop gaps especially in this market. Free agency was one of the routes to achieve this. Same story or concept at center.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Oh I see, but wouldn't those players just go on LTIR anyhow keeping the Senators above cap floor?

Yea they would! But the issue is they knew they were trading them to Tampa before making the Stepan deal so by adding Stepan before they ensured they'd be over the cap even after trading Gaborik and Nilsson (who's cap hit made sure that the team was cap compliant prior to the Stepan trade)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree, and that has been my observation as well. It seems like Ottawa loaded up on bottom pairing defenders, so it seems like that was an area to address with decent stop gaps especially in this market. Free agency was one of the routes to achieve this. Same story or concept at center.

Well, Gudbranson is from Ottawa, and he's been a target for what seems like years now. We definitely favour players from here, regardless of how good they actually are.

I can't really tell if:

(a) We're trying to get some veteran experience for the kids to learn from;

OR

(b) Trying to actually compete this year.

OR

(c) Both of those things.

OR

(d) Neither of those things.

It's a confusing time to be a Senators fan.

Reactions: KeonHorton

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Yea they would! But the issue is they knew they were trading them to Tampa before making the Stepan deal so by adding Stepan before they ensured they'd be over the cap even after trading Gaborik and Nilsson who's cap hit made sure that the team was cap compliant.
I suspect you are correct that the TBL deal was lined up already before the Stepan deal was finally executed. To me though, it seems like there were other options that could have provided just as good (or better) player without losing a 2nd.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I suspect you are correct that the TBL deal was lined up already before the Stepan deal was finally executed. To me though, it seems like there were other options that could have provided just as good (or better) player without losing a 2nd.

I don't disagree here.

Reactions: KeonHorton

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, Gudbranson is from Ottawa, and he's been a target for what seems like years now. We definitely favour players from here, regardless of how good they actually are.

I can't really tell if:

(a) We're trying to get some veteran experience for the kids to learn from;

OR

(b) Trying to actually compete this year.

OR

(c) Both of those things.

OR

(d) Neither of those things.

It's a confusing time to be a Senators fan.
Ya, I agree with the confusing part as well. I've been trying to figure it out as well.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If you weren't one of the top 3 or so free agents, the demand expressed was for reasonable one-year contracts. That's how I'd put it and that would be more accurate imho. This was a buyers market if there ever was one!

We're talking about different things. On a purely quantitative measure, there are more spots to fill than ever when you consider the taxi squads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad