Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Derek Stepan for 2021 2nd round pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really think with this move Ottawa is going to try to make the playoffs this season. With 4 of the 7 Canadian teams making the playoffs they've added enough talent to try to make that 4th spot. If Murray can go back to where he was a few seasons ago, Dadonov can produce and their youth makes an impact they can do it. If it looks Ike they're out they can always trade Stepan for something.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think it's an overpayment by OTT, I think its a good deal that will help them compete and play the right way. I do however think it makes the Nate Schmidt trade even more odd.

Id be more comfortable with it being a third. But it is what it is. If he can be a solid mentor and keep the rookies from playing against some elite top lines in the Canadian division its worth it I think.

If they flip him for a third at the deadline or whatever it doesn't look nearly as bad either.

The senators were never going to be able to find room for players selected with every pick they had, decisions had to be made for trades.

I guess we will see if this decision was worth it over the season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Senators will have the best taxi squad in the NHL. They're building a deep pool around the rules they've been dealt in this unique circumstance. What more can you ask for?

This a thousand times over. You don't have to look much further than the Germany at the WJC to see what happens if your team gets hit by a COVID outbreak.

With the condensed schedule, potential COVID outbreaks, and the slugfest that the Canadian division will be. The Sens are going to be prepared for anything.

The Sens are going to have a very deep, very hard working team this season. Dorion is going to look like a genius when other teams get hit with injury bugs or COVID outbreaks.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Wow I would have that taking on Stepans contract would have cost at least a 2nd round pick if not more. His contract is bad for someone who’s regressed in back to back seasons.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why would Ottawa give up a 2nd for one year of a grossly overpaid Stepan who at best is a mediocre third liner?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't expect you to understand - keep the negativity to yourself, bud.

Why would anyone be ecstatic about this move though? Ok with it? Sure. Happy? I guess. Ecstatic? What need does he fill? The team didn’t just go out and solve a big problem by swinging a big trade for a number one centre or even a good second line centre. They acquired a guy who is declining. He can help in some ways, sure, but I’m shocked anyone would say they are ecstatic about this move.

Sorry for my negativity though, bud.

Reactions: h2owned

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Why would anyone be ecstatic about this move though? Ok with it? Sure. Happy? I guess. Ecstatic? What need does he fill? The team didn’t just go out and solve a big problem by swinging a big trade for a number one centre or even a good second line centre. They acquired a guy who is declining. He can help in some ways, sure, but I’m shocked anyone would say they are ecstatic about this move.

Sorry for my negativity though, bud.

See... don't get it. Just like you likely never watched Stepan last year.

Stepan isn't declining as much as you think he is, he's playing for Arizona(or rather the current HC). 2 years ago Kessel was PPG 82 points in 82 games. Last year 38 points in 70 games. 2 years ago Keller 65 points, past two years: 45 points(20 point drop). It's where offense goes to die. Stepan did have 3rd highest point total in playoffs last year(ahead of Kessel). Stepan also lead them in ice time during the year and plays close to mistake free hockey who is only 30, lool.

We just got a free-ish (can trade at TDL for 3rd rounder at least) 2nd line-ish center who is going to mentor our future star and help shelter our young budding talent and plays exact type of game that players succeed under DJ Smith. Our C depth was terrible before, now it's meh/below average. This is a big move for the future of this team just for the defensive responsibility and mentorship he will provide down the center of the ice. A move like this makes us not turn into Edmonton or Buffalo, yes I am ecstatic.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
See... don't get it. Just like you likely never watched Stepan last year.

Stepan isn't declining as much as you think he is, he's playing for Arizona(or rather the current HC). 2 years ago Kessel was PPG 82 points in 82 games. Last year 38 points in 70 games. 2 years ago Keller 65 points, past two years: 45 points(20 point drop). It's where offense goes to die. Stepan did have 3rd highest point total in playoffs last year(ahead of Kessel). Stepan also lead them in ice time during the year and plays close to mistake free hockey who is only 30, lool.

We just got a free-ish (can trade at TDL for 3rd rounder at least) 2nd line-ish center who is going to mentor our future star and help shelter our young budding talent and plays exact type of game that players succeed under DJ Smith. Our C depth was terrible before, now it's meh/below average. This is a big move for the future of this team just for the defensive responsibility and mentorship he will provide down the center of the ice. A move like this makes us not turn into Edmonton or Buffalo, yes I am ecstatic.

A first line center who is only capable of ~30 points. Yes this is the type of player that we trade early-mid 2nd round picks for in the hope we can turn it into a 3rd from a cup contending team. Coulda easily signed Erik Haula, Craig Smith, Cody Eakin, Vlad Namesnikov, Mikku Koivu along with a boat load of other players who could provide that same type of "leadership".

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Easily hes worth a 2nd.

Even if he's not a 55+pt guy, I highly doubt his 28 points is the new norm.

I'd expect 35-45 points defensively responsible forward that demonstrates leadership and hard work.

A full year of Stepan is worth a 2nd easily

You're living in a world of make believe. Stepan is a below average player now. He is still weak on draws. He's slow. He has no physical element to his game. If he can't chip in on a 50+ point pace, he's essentially worthless. I'd rather take my 10 to 15% chance of picking a good player in the second round. Which is about what those picks turn into. Plus you could always use that pick to move down some spots in the first round with your own first pick if there is a player you love. It's simply a poor deal. Stepan IMO isn't worth more than a 4th and that is pushing it.

Reactions: Sen sational

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Like I said. Living in the past with Stepan. For example, the Rangers used a second rounder to trade up for Schneider which is a guy I wanted NY to get all along and is exactly the type of guy the defense needs. Why the clueless Leafs didn't take him I will never know.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Like I said. Living in the past with Stepan. For example, the Rangers used a second rounder to trade up for Schneider which is a guy I wanted NY to get all along and is exactly the type of guy the defense needs. Why the clueless Leafs didn't take him I will never know.

Lol, because professional scouts preferred someone else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad