Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Derek Stepan for 2021 2nd round pick

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Stepan helps mentor Ottawa's young centers for 35 games then gets moved at the TDL for a 3rd Rd pick and remainder of his $2M actual salary. It's a smart move for the Sens. It's a smart move for the Coyotes. Win-Win

Reactions: Schemp

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Crazy to me that he's 30 years old. It seems like just yesterday he scored a hatty in his first game. Now he's the old goat helping mentor the youngsters.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I said it when it was being speculated but I like this trade from Ottawa's perspective.

Stepan can play top line minutes just not well. Developing players is giving them opportunities but not overwhelming them with it. He can be a minute muncher to support the rookies when they have to play EP, Matthews, and McDavid 28 times this shortened season.

Good value, good trade.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
that's a good deal for OTT (CBJ 2021-2nd) as a team needs vet to help the kids out. I'm happy with the offseason that OTT had

Most likely Stutzle is staying the year in the DEL to develop and a few more trades in line before 01/13/21 to start the season (too many waiver eligible players in the pipeline). I think two of these three DMen could be traded (Reilly, Wolanin, Jaros)

FORWARDS
B. Tkachuk // D. Stepan // E. Dadonov
C. Brown // J. Norris // D. Batherson
L. Brown // C. Tierney // C. White
A. Galchenyuk // A. Anisimov // C. Watson

DEFENSE
T. Chabot // N. Zaitsev
E. Brännström // E. Gudbranson
C. Wolanin // A. Zub

GOALIES
M. Murray
M. Högberg

RESERVE
N. Paul
R. Balcers
J. Brown

INJURED
M. Gáborík
A. Nilsson

Last edited:
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
$6.5 mill cap hit, but only $2 mill in salary, so from that POV I get why Ottawa would make the move. 2nd round pick seems like a high price given that Ottawa isn't expected to accomplish much this season and that's all that they are getting him for unless they feel that they can flip him at the TDL to recoup that pick or a 3rd, so just paying the price of 30 draft slots to add a veteran C.

But, his production has dropped massively the past 2 seasons. 56 points 3 years ago in 82 games, but a combined 63 points in 142 games the past 2 seasons.
The 2nd is peanuts for a team drowning in prospects

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Damn, well done Arizona. That’s going to be a very high second rounder.
you do realise it's CBJ's 2nd, right?
Sportsnet said:
In dealing away the second round pick, which had previously been acquired from Columbus, the Senators still have four picks in the top three rounds for 2021 (they possess San Jose's second-rounder in addition to their own).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The criticism of Ottawa doesn’t make sense to me. They needed a vet center that could play top six badly, even if he’s been off the last couple of years. If you think they should be tanking, they’re still bad and the lottery kills tanking anyways. They have to sell a product on the ice and this improves the product at a cheap salary for the short term, which is what they should be looking for in vets anyways. This move makes total sense for them. If he has a solid year they can extend him or get the pick back in trade. They’re not hurting for picks and I would bet other teams were interested in Stepan too.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
MIGHT being the key word. But for a 2nd which Ottawa has multiple of, it DEFINITELY will bring back a defensively responsible two-way vet.
Didn't some free agents sign in Ottawa before? Dadonov is a good player, and was a free agent, and signed in Ottawa. Could this not be an indication that what I mentioned actually does happen?

Don't think its a given or completely automatic to assume no player will sign there, especially if they are making the best offer, and also, especially in this market.

Don't agree with either points in your 2nd sentence.

Ottawa was already above cap floor, so the idea that they needed the cap hit but the salary was low doesn't carry any water either. In general, there's considerable lazy thinking here in this thread based on assumptions (assumptions merging with narrative) imho. To continue this would be futile as already mentioned.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Obviously, that’s why the pick would be going to other way haha.

My point is you shouldn’t have to pay value if he was acquired as veteran leadership.

Your point isn't very good if the Senators want an actual NHL player, though.

I do agree that the trade sucks.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Just another completely brainless trade in a league filled with insanely incompetent general managers.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Stepan sucks now. As soon as he got his first big contract he turned into lazy slob. Honestly, he should be out of the league at this point.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Boy Arizona fleeced Ottawa. Especially considering that pick is basically going to be a 32-40 overall pic

Ottawa didn’t give up their pick.

People act like 2nd rounder holds some great value lol. Kinda 70% of the time (if not 80) you get a guy who is barely able to compete for the job 3-4 years after the draft. At least Stepan is a proven NHLer.

Exactly... and Ottawa still has two other 2nds so it’s really not as bad as some people make it seem.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Since when is 30 old?
since HFB have decided that a 26y/o UFA is no longer on the right side of the hill.... it's insane how this board is overrating picks and prospects. :facepalm:

A 2nd round pick has 20% chance of having a 250+ games career in the NHL based on a study made from 2000 drafted player and above

Reactions: SensFactor

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
No one knows the circumstances, so narratives & assumptions are merging here I'd think.

The Senators season will be over in May, so don't think that was too much to endure and wasn't very likely to be part of the thinking.
Well assumptions are emerging because some people are bringing up unrelated UFA signing that Ottawa might not have been able to pull off. There are plenty of circumstances going against Ottawa and Canadian teams at the moment. I guess we can pretend they don't exist and that spending 5 months of brutal travel stranded in a different country are just assumptions.

Probably is to someone who is like 16. That's damn near double their entire life.
But it isn't, and he isn't an old goat. lol
Forwards, in general, start declining at 27. Elite guys can stave that off for longer, but Stepan wasn't elite and he has been declining for years now. So yeah, 30 is old for the majority of players.

Reactions: deflowd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad