OT: Other Sports aka where we pretend to know Vance Joseph's ability as a HC Thread XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
so, how comfortable are we in houston winning the pats with brock osweiler at QB, the game being held at foxborough and after having lost them 0-27 earlier this season when pats had jacoby brissett at QB?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
so, how comfortable are we in houston winning the pats with brock osweiler at QB, the game being held at foxborough and after having lost them 0-27 earlier this season when pats had jacoby brissett at QB?

I mean...obviously anything can happen, but I'm thinking we're getting a Patriots/Steelers AFC Championship game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
i think chiefs vs. steelers could've gone either way.. if ben wasn't wearing walking boot atm.

but as he is, i'd give the edge to the chiefs.

I know it was just against Miami, but yesterday was the first game that all three of Roethlisberger, Bell, and Brown played in a playoff game...and it took Miami little time to go up 14-0.

I'm not expecting a blowout against the Chiefs, but if all 3 of those guys are playing, and they still have a monster in Shazier on D, then I'm more inclined to give the nod to Pittsburgh.

As far as NE...it really comes off (to me) that Brady is using the thought of Goodell having to hand him a SB trophy as extra motivation. There's holes in that Pats team (their D still seems to go with the "bend but don't break" gameplan, and when you do that you're going to "break" at the wrong time), but I still see those two teams in the AFC Championship game.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i disagree on shazier being a monster; he's good and can make some monster plays but he can be destroyed in coverage and is occasionally prone to some missed tackles, that should be automatic tackles. chiefs should be able to score on that D.

chiefs D hasn't been as good this season as it looks on paper but they have some great playmakers there that can change the game. losing DJ on top of that hurts a lot.

ben hasn't been playing up to his standards this year, if he's hurt badly, i'm not sure the steelers have huge advantage at QB and i'm no alex smith fan.

game being at arrowhead helps the chiefs too. i'd bet on this one being the best game of the playoffs in these first 2 rounds.

pats D is more 'bend but don't break'... they kind of allow the offense to beat themselves.. which will most likely happen when the offense is led by brock osweiler.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
i disagree. their LBs and CBs can be exposed. i think cowboys would be favorites in that game. wouldn't count out the seahawks either, though i wouldn't have them as favorites.

Packers offence looks unstoppable, and has for the last 7 weeks.

I think they're going to route the Cowboys the same way they beat the Giants

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Packers offence looks unstoppable, and has for the last 7 weeks.

I think they're going to route the Cowboys the same way they beat the Giants

it has and it's certainly possible that happens.

but they've likely lost nelson or at least he won't be at 100%. spent the night at hospital, won't practice until saturday.

cowboys pass rush is pathetic, packers oline is top 5 in the game so rodgers should have time to throw. but if they have no run game, i don't think he'll torch them the same way he's done in the past few months every defense he's faced.

first, he's not as likely to get that many opportunites. packers secondary sucks. they have to play with two deep safeties or they are very vulnerable for big plays. that is going to make it very hard to stop the run. cowboys should be able to pound the rock and control time of possession.

they still need to score though, as i expect that packers will score quite a lot too, even if it won't be close to 40. capers can dial up some looks that prescott has never seen. also we'll see how the rookie handles his first PO-game. he's been awesome so far but this is by far the biggest game of his career.

cowboys also take care of the football usually very well so packers probably don't get turnovers and thus as good field position this time around.

i'm hoping the packers win but i'm not expecting it. though the cowboys may have better change against patriots so maybe i should hope them to win it? lol.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
So if you're Elway, what's your top 3 areas of need in draft?

OT, WR, ILB come to my mind

I do think they need a corner but ILB may have higher priority. I'd pick up a 3-4 DT cheap in FA - those guys can be had for peanuts. I would say TE or RB but I can't see them writing off the rookies from this year after only 16 games. Booker and Heuerman will be better next year and Darby was an investment already. At OG they have a glut of dudes and I think their problems at OT compound their OG problems by moving people back and forth. Also they drafted McGovern last year - expect him to play in '17 and he's got a beast of a frame.

They will let Okung probably walk, Latimer as well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
OT, OG/WR/TE, DE/ILB

pick one of each OG/WR/TE and DE/ILB at UFA.

if they are high on gotsis, maybe depth pickup at UFA, late draft pick and walker coming back from injury is enough at DE.

i really don't see a guy in darby or heuerman who can make big, contested catches in the deep middle of the field. but then again, i'm no NFL scout lol. heuerman could have the athleticism but ball skills, route running, ball IQ? dunno. same with darby.

edit. i wouldn't put TE on itself as a big need, just a 3rd receiving target. broncos passing game right now is too easy to shutdown with only two, albeit very good, threats.

and even if one of them pans out, having two good tight ends is a weapon that many teams can't defend against.

even if broncos for whatever reason happen to like their interior guys not named paradis, good depth at that position ain't a bad thing. cuz if they are not, they are paradis injury away from having the worst interior in the game.

Last edited:

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I got Clemson beating Bama 30-23 as long as Watson's dumb INTs don't become pick 6s

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Choker you're pretty much on the same page with me then - good pts all around

One thing I'll be curious about next year - Janovich played seemingly well at the FB position. He's only 6-1 so probably not a good TE candidate. His whole NFL career may depend on the Shanahan/Joseph decision.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i think they should keep janovich. he seems to be good blocker and is atheltic too (he was high school wrestler or something?) and thus useful as a rushing threat. i'd expect him to be picked up pretty fast if he's cut.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Which coach do you guys want/predict who it will be? I don't know much myself so just curious.
Of the guys they have interviewed...I would prefer Shannahan simply because of his experience and because he's less likely to screw around with the defense. A unit that really only needs a few tweaks upfront. Not to mention he runs an upgraded version of the Shannahan/Kubiak offense. So it wouldn't be a huge leaning curve for the QB's, lineman, etc...

However I fully expect the rumors to be true and for it to be Vance Joseph with Mike McCoy as OC.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
even if broncos for whatever reason happen to like their interior guys not named paradis, good depth at that position ain't a bad thing. cuz if they are not, they are paradis injury away from having the worst interior in the game.

You carry about nine O linemen anyway. That's about 15%, you should be looking for at least one every year in the draft. Dan Reeves managed that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Roderick Johnson just declared

Good news for Broncos - that's a potential first round talent added in at the OT spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad