OT: Other Sports aka where we pretend to know Vance Joseph's ability as a HC Thread XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010

Talk about Broncos OL here
Talk about Rockies managerial search here
Talk about Nuggets' "Jurkic" here
Talk about Buffs' top 25 recruiting class here
Talk about CSU's quest to join the falling Big XII here

Last edited:

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
I think I might pick up every single fantasy football defense that will face Geno Smith for the rest of the year.

Maybe we could still get Fitzpatrick since he's doing nothing now.

I had to google to see who he was

Is Billy Turner any good?

Never, ever understood the appeal of arena football. Arena sports are usually fast-paced and the action is continuous (unless you're watching the last few minutes of a basketball game and everyone keeps calling time out). Football is slow. So why you'd take the slow pace of football and scrunch it onto a 50-yard field I have no idea.

The Arena Football League is crumbling before our eyes.

The Arizona Rattlers, in the AFL since 1992 and winners of 5 Arena Bowls, are leaving for the Indoor Football League.

The Orlando Predators (est. 1991), Portland Thunder (est. 2014), and LA Kiss (est. 2014) have folded

The Jacksonville Sharks (est. 2010) are leaving for an as-yet unannounced rival league

That leaves just the Tampa Bay Storm, Cleveland Gladiators, Philadelphia Soul, and the expansion Washington Valor in the league that has been around since 1987 (except one year off).

Sad, but the upshot is that in the wake of the contraction there are rumors of the IFL getting a TV deal with FS1.

Colorado has a team in the IFL. The Crush (formerly the Ice, no official relation to the old AFL team) play in Loveland, in the same arena as the Eagles.

So maybe we'll get to see an indoor team from Colorado on TV again. I'd rather it be the AFL game as it's a more entertaining brand than the IFL game, but I'll take what I can get.

They could higher a cat litter box and it would be better than Jim Tracy was. That's what I liked best about Weiss; he has a certain "not Jim Tracy" quality.

I *****ed about Weiss a lot, but outside of like 3 or 4 guys (Maddon, Francona, etc.), there isn't a big difference between one manager and another in MLB.

So I'm cool with whoever as long as they're good at managing the guys inside the clubhouse.

Yikes @ Romo's contract - he will have to renegotiate and cut his salary if he doesn't want to ride pine in Dallas. Crazy how things can turn quickly in the NFL. Only really the Browns, Jags, and 49ers could realistically fit him comfortably without cap room going back to the Boys.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/

I'd rather not, but I could live with eating a year to get our QB situation going forward and next year Elway can go hard in free agency.

Not impressed at all with any of the Rockies manager candidates. Are you guys?

I messed up with multiquoting but oh well

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Quite a picture

CvKyMVKWIAATS5A.jpg

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I really wished Tulo success in Toronto. Bummed to see Toronto lose. Such a shame that group wasn't able to get it done when it mattered most.

Maybe someday Tulo will find himself on a team that wins it all. Probably won't happen as a Blue Jay now I guess.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Eh he honestly doesn't really deserve to win.

There's so many times in Colorado the guy refused to play because of "tired legs" and all kinds of other bogus injuries.

Karma is a *****.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Eh he honestly doesn't really deserve to win.

There's so many times in Colorado the guy refused to play because of "tired legs" and all kinds of other bogus injuries.

Karma is a *****.

This. Everyone always thought he was such a great leader and good guy to have around the team. But that rhetoric is such a joke. He is a me first guy, has a poor attitude, is extremely arrogant, and at the end was a cancer in the clubhouse. I saw a much better team the past few seasons without him around.

Like you said karma is a *****. And I will be cheering against the guy the rest of his career no matter what team he plays for.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This. Everyone always thought he was such a great leader and good guy to have around the team. But that rhetoric is such a joke. He is a me first guy, has a poor attitude, is extremely arrogant, and at the end was a cancer in the clubhouse. I saw a much better team the past few seasons without him around.

Like you said karma is a *****. And I will be cheering against the guy the rest of his career no matter what team he plays for.

I don't think very much of that is true. Even if so, we're very happy and proud to have him in Canada. He's been a tremendous baseball player and a great guy. He had a rough adjustment. Especially when Mr. Mouthpiece Bautista said some things when the trade happened that weren't very welcoming. But he's been much more at home this year and Jays fans love him.

He's my favorite baseball player.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Colorado State has extended head basketball coach Larry Eustachy's contract another year through the 2020-21 season.

We've got some good college basketball coaches in this state. Surprised nobody has poached either of them yet.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Colorado State has extended head basketball coach Larry Eustachy's contract another year through the 2020-21 season.

We've got some good college basketball coaches in this state. Surprised nobody has poached either of them yet.
I thought CSU fans hated Eustachy?

Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas State, and more tried to get Boyle over the years but he rejected all of them to stay in Boulder. Nebraska hired Miles after Boyle rejected them

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit Oct 12
#Broncos Film: #Falcons emphasis on base personnel eliminated Von Miller from pass rush equation. AS 4-3 SLB he often had coverage.

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit Oct 13
Film: #Broncos did not have to cater offense much to Lynch. Their system is inherently QB-friendly.

#Falcons #Broncos Film: Beasley’s first two sacks were both speed/dip rushes around squatty RT Sambrailo

#Broncos #Falcons Film: Sanders 26 yds X-iso post/slot crosser combo (Cover 3 beater). Lynch did not throw it well but processed the concept

#Falcons #Broncos Film: Allen INT was Lynch rookie mistake. FS Allen was on hash to side of Thomas’s deep post. That’s checkdown indicator.

#Broncos Film: Kubiak has a tendency: when young QB is starting a drive under mental pressure, he’ll put him in a seven-step drop.

#Broncos Film: Sambrailo will likely have to move to guard if he’s to have chance at a long NFL career.

#Broncos Film: most of #Falcons 6 sacks were about DL beating OL (Beasley vs. Sambrailo especially), not about Lynch holding ball.

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit Oct 5
#Broncos Film: LG Garcia again flashed as a POA zone run-blocker. Good at widening defenders who can’t be reach-blocked.

#Broncos Film: #Bucs Cover 0 blitz on 3rd-3. Lynch saw it and immediately abandoned the play design.

#Broncos Film: Lynch’s plus arm strength stood out right away. Seam/field numbers area balls had zip.

#Broncos #Bucs Film: Siemian can be slow to process what’s “not open.” That’s what led to the McDonald sack (injury play).

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit Oct 4
#Broncos Film: Ward continues to be a versatile piece. Can play split or high safety, in the box, man cover and an excellent blitzer.

Film: Talib, Harris and Roby all looked good in man coverage. #Broncos played it in 2:00 vs. spread sets...

cont....w/ blitzes, essentially putting CBs in iso-man against sizeable Bucs WRs.

#Broncos Film: no one moves at angles with better combination of swiftness and leverage than Von Miller.

Film: everything about #Broncos run D was quick and cohesive. A swarming effect.

#Broncos Film: Jared Crick stood out. Fought through blocks late in the down to make plays, showed play recognition.

#Broncos Film: LB Todd Davis flashed as an interior blitzer. Timing, efficient paths and speed.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It was a horrible week last week for the Broncos on PFF. Thomas, Stephenson, and Dixon all ranked dead last at their positions. Stephenson replaced Sambraillo who was the worst OT the week before him. Not good at all on the OL.

Demaryious Thomas (worst WR in the NFL) - five catches on 10 targets, 37 yards (only 13 YAC), 1 drop, 1 fumble

Donald Stephenson (worst OT in the NFL) - two tackles surrendered in the run game, two quarterback hits, six hurries, twice beaten on pass plays with no pressure recorded, and two false start penalties

Riley Dixon (worst P in the NFL) - averaged just 38.6 net yards per attempt. Four of the five were returned, and only two of them landed inside the 20-yard line

Thinking next year - our draft is shaping up to DEFINITELY include an OT, ILB, WR, CB, and OG.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It was a horrible week last week for the Broncos on PFF. Thomas, Stephenson, and Dixon all ranked dead last at their positions. Stephenson replaced Sambraillo who was the worst OT the week before him. Not good at all on the OL.

Demaryious Thomas (worst WR in the NFL) - five catches on 10 targets, 37 yards (only 13 YAC), 1 drop, 1 fumble

Donald Stephenson (worst OT in the NFL) - two tackles surrendered in the run game, two quarterback hits, six hurries, twice beaten on pass plays with no pressure recorded, and two false start penalties

Riley Dixon (worst P in the NFL) - averaged just 38.6 net yards per attempt. Four of the five were returned, and only two of them landed inside the 20-yard line

Thinking next year - our draft is shaping up to DEFINITELY include an OT, ILB, WR, CB, and OG.

could use a TE too.

next years draft looks to be pretty deep on skill positions where as last year was very deep on trenches.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I'll be disappointed if they don't draft at least 5 O-line players in the draft next season. I mean the only guy I feel comfortable with at this point is Paradis. I'll also be disappointed if they don't make a run at Thomas from Cleveland in a trade this year. I'd give up a first and a solid player like Shaq Barrett for him.

I'll be shocked if they go after a WR. DT has been fine this year, until last game where he played poorly but so did the entire offense. I fully expect him to bounce back. People's standards for that guy are way too high, no matter what he does people criticize him. Last year he has 105 catches and 1304 yards and people say that he had a miserable year. This year he is on pace for an 84 catches, 1110 yard, 8TD season. That's not awful, especially considering that he has two rookies throwing him the ball. Anyone who expected another 100+ catch season with a rookie QB and a system that would like to focus on the run was just setting themselves up for disappointment. It's like people expect 10+ catches and 150 yards and 2TDs every game from Thomas. And if we had a prime PFM I'd say those expectations would be fine. But when you have a 5 game starter who refuses to throw anything downfield, and is slow with his progressions, and a 1 game starter who is a rookie who makes rookie mistakes you're not going to post huge stats.

LB in general outside of Miller and Marshall is a big issue. I agree they need at least one more guy in the mix that can make plays at the NFL level.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Man that was an ugly CU win, but they found a way to win which is all that matters.

They've got to find a kicker going forward, this game should have been over, but when you miss 3 makeable FGs you keep teams in it.

Also Sefo has got to be better going forward. To many missed throws for a senior.

At this point in the year with where their record sits anything short of a Pac 12 championship appearance would be semi disappointing. I know that sounds lofty considering where they've been recently. But they have the team to win the South, and the schedule favors them with Utah being a home game and Utah having to play Washington still and having to travel to ASU.

They have a golden opportunity in front of them, now they need to take advantage of it.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
I believe CU is favored in every game and was favored to win the division. Would be cool, if it's Washington vs. Colorado for the Pac-12 title, aka weed bowl.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tell me again how Kershaw is better than Bumgarner :sarcasm:

Seriously, I think we can say at this point that Kershaw just isn't a good playoff pitcher. He has a good game occasionally, but he is average or worse in every game in between.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Kershaw had a FIP of 2.92 in postseason coming into this game

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Should be a damned sweet WS. The Indians are a fiesty bunch.

When was the last the time the Cubs were even IN the WS....'46? That is when my DAD was born and I'm 40.

Indians last won it in '48 I believe.

Edit: Cubs were last in the WS in '45

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
local team round up

-Colorado State Rams beat UNLV 42-23, back to .500 on the year and two wins from being bowl eligible for the fourth straight year. Just need to beat two of Fresno, @AFA, UNM, @SDSU.
-Colorado Buffaloes beat Stanford 10-5 to become bowl eligible for the first time since 2007
-Air Force Falcons lost to Hawaii 34-27 in 2OT. That's three straight losses to Wyoming, New Mexico, and Hawaii
-DU hockey beat Michigan State 3-1 on the road. That's four straight wins after starting 0-2-0
-Colorado College hockey won 4-3 @ New Hampshire
-Nuggets open up Wednesday at New Orleans
-Rapids finish their regular season tomorrow against Houston. They need a win plus a Dallas loss to claim the best record in MLS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->