OT: Other Sports aka where we pretend to know Vance Joseph's ability as a HC Thread XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Already talks of bringing back McCoy for OC and promoting Joe Woods to DC. This is a bleak day for Bronco fans. We just took 3 steps in the wrong direction.

I gonna miss Wade. He brought us one of the top 5 defenses of all time 2 years a go and now they're just kicking him to the curb. :(

The fact that this is the first thought for everyone around here makes me feel better about it. Odds are that this works out for the best then.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The fact that this is the first thought for everyone around here makes me feel better about it. Odds are that this works out for the best then.

Maybe McCoy won't be as bad as I fear, but not retaining wade just baffels me to no end. There is no better DC in the league right now.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Maybe McCoy won't be as bad as I fear, but not retaining wade just baffels me to no end. There is no better DC in the league right now.

I get the idea of being a bit scared moving forward, and I agree that Wade being gone is the biggest reason for trepidation - but the sky is falling attitude is just too much.

Who is to say that Joe Woods doesn't surprise everyone. Dennison HAD TO GO and McCoy could be a great thing for sure. It's possible we take a minor step back on defense and one forward on offense. I doubt we remain out of contention for long. This isn't the Avalanche, and it isn't Sakic. In Elway I trust, he's never given me a reason not to and I am not going to start now despite the season even starting yet.

Everyone around here couldn't step over themselves fast enough to praise Sakic on the Bednar hire and look how that's worked out

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm still optimistic.

A lot of leading is the talent that you have. And Von Miller is arguably one of the top 5 players at any position in the entire league. I'm sure the defense will be fine.

Joseph used to work under Wade and I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of the defensive staff retained.

I'm more curious now if Knapp makes it through this as the QB coach. That's the position to really keep an eye on. Second position to keep an eye on is the DL coach who has worked with both Wade and Joseph. We need to retain him but if we lose him to LA that would be a pretty big loss.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I'm still optimistic.

A lot of leading is the talent that you have. And Von Miller is arguably one of the top 5 players at any position in the entire league. I'm sure the defense will be fine.

Joseph used to work under Wade and I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of the defensive staff retained.

I'm more curious now if Knapp makes it through this as the QB coach. That's the position to really keep an eye on. Second position to keep an eye on is the DL coach who has worked with both Wade and Joseph. We need to retain him but if we lose him to LA that would be a pretty big loss.

All the defensive assistants are still under contract so if the Broncos want to keep them, they will still be here next year. Either Schefter or Klis tweeted that the Rams asked for permission to talk to some of them but the Broncos denied them.

TE coach now gone as well. Looks like VJ isn't wasting time cleaning house on offense. I'd like to see Knapp retained as well. But they might be eyeballing Musgrave as QB coach if they hire McCoy. Musgrave could also step in for the 18-19 season if McCoy gets another HC gig.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Put me in the group that thinks losing Wade is seriously bad.

I think the guy won us a Super Bowl with that amazing playoff run last year. Jospeh is going be a step down from having any other HC and Wade.

Prove me wrong again Elway. Please.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
TE coach now gone as well. Looks like VJ isn't wasting time cleaning house on offense. I'd like to see Knapp retained as well. But they might be eyeballing Musgrave as QB coach if they hire McCoy. Musgrave could also step in for the 18-19 season if McCoy gets another HC gig.

I definitely want Musgrave over Knapp for QB coach as well. I'm watching that one close.

I definitely want Kollar back. Since he's not getting promoted I'm guessing Broncos are blocking him. As long as the position coaches stay intact I'm actually good with wade leaving.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Some massive overreaction to the Wade Phillips departure, IMO.

The Broncos' defense is now in its inevitable decline - regardless of Wade. They were terrific for 3 years, likely will still be quite good next season, but these sorts of things don't typically last very long in the NFL.

They lost two good starters last offseason, they'll lose at least one more this offseason, a couple of guys are getting close to 30 (when they'll start to decline), and the team really has to focus on the OL early in the draft (I would think, given the state of the OL). Throw in a moderate injury or two, and they're going to likely move down from an elite defense to just a good one.

A lot of fans will be screaming "Wade! Wade!" when this happens, but that won't be the real reason.

Besides, Joe Woods has a very good reputation coaching the defensive backfield - one that has been really good for Denver. If he were promoted, it would provide continuity.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
When I watch the Broncos defense, I don't see anything incredibly genius in scheme or play calling. Its Von Miller and a stud secondary. It sucks that Wade is leaving, but if Woods is the new DC, I don't really see anything changing much on defense. No worries here.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
When I watch the Broncos defense, I don't see anything incredibly genius in scheme or play calling. Its Von Miller and a stud secondary.

...and great speed at LB/SS.

The defense's big problem this upcoming season is going to be run defense by the DL. Williams is likely gone, and while he wasn't great, he was solid. Wolfe is the only DL out there who looks above average against the run.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
When I watch the Broncos defense, I don't see anything incredibly genius in scheme or play calling. Its Von Miller and a stud secondary. It sucks that Wade is leaving, but if Woods is the new DC, I don't really see anything changing much on defense. No worries here.

What

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Woods did run one of the best secondaries in the NFL, so I've got confidence that he won't be completely lost as a DC, plus he'll have Vance's help as well obviously.

I do think losing Wade is pretty unfortunate though, all things equal I much would have preferred him back in the fold.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
It's not that simple

It's also not that difficult with the players we have on defense. I guess I'm just trying to say that losing Wade will not destroy this defense, especially if Woods is the new DC. He will run pretty much the same defense as Wade, which was pretty much puting players in position to suceed, and then letteing them do their thing.
As long as we shore up the run defense, I don't think losing Wade will hurt nearly as much as people think it will.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Some massive overreaction to the Wade Phillips departure, IMO.

The Broncos' defense is now in its inevitable decline - regardless of Wade. They were terrific for 3 years, likely will still be quite good next season, but these sorts of things don't typically last very long in the NFL.

They lost two good starters last offseason, they'll lose at least one more this offseason, a couple of guys are getting close to 30 (when they'll start to decline), and the team really has to focus on the OL early in the draft (I would think, given the state of the OL). Throw in a moderate injury or two, and they're going to likely move down from an elite defense to just a good one.

A lot of fans will be screaming "Wade! Wade!" when this happens, but that won't be the real reason.

Besides, Joe Woods has a very good reputation coaching the defensive backfield - one that has been really good for Denver. If he were promoted, it would provide continuity.

Totally agree on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad