OT: Other Sports aka 2 weeks until NFL Draft thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He took 50 shots and went 6-21 from downtown. It wasn't a magnificent performance, it was one of the worst chucking spectacles I have ever witnessed.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't see the game but can somebody tell me how in the hell Kobe pulled that off last night? He's one of the greatest ever and I love him but I didn't think it was possible for him to put up a 60 spot at this point in his career. Did the other team lay off and did his own team just continuously give him the ball or was it just straight up classic Kobe rising to the occasion as he has done so many times in the past?

It was a small amount of Kobe rising to the occasion... it was mostly him just shooting over and over again. He did will the victory, but it wasn't his greatest performance or anything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Wentz is going to be a hell of a QB, but it is a mighty high price to pay. The Rams are probably the team that can most afford it... they are a good QB away.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I feel pretty confident in saying Wentz will be a much better NFL QB than RG3. I don't think Wentz is going to be elite, but I think he can be a top 10 sort of QB for 10+ years. I'm not completely sold on Goff personally. I like him and I think he can be a NFL starter, but how good is a big question to me.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Well yes, given how RG3 looked in the seasons following his rookie year, that is a good guess, but IMHO that doesn't change how highly touted he was before the draft, or after his rookie season.

Comparing them both before the draft I would say that the general consensus is that RG3 was the one who was expected to be better in the NFL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well yes, given how RG3 looked in the seasons following his rookie year, that is a good guess, but IMHO that doesn't change how highly touted he was before the draft, or after his rookie season.

Comparing them both before the draft I would say that the general consensus is that RG3 was the one who was expected to be better in the NFL.

That was when everybody thought the NFL QB was changing into the more mobile QB... which simply isn't happening in the NFL. RG3 was and is dynamic, but that style of QB just doesn't work in the NFL long-term. Never has and likely never will. It seems every era has this idea from Cunningham to Vick to RG3... it just isn't a long-term strategy. Hopefully the NFL gets that now.

I get the hype isn't there behind Wentz, but I really do think he is going to be an excellent QB in the NFL. All the tools are there and he has played for years in a NFL style system.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He took 50 shots and went 6-21 from downtown. It wasn't a magnificent performance, it was one of the worst chucking spectacles I have ever witnessed.

First of all I hate basketball.

Second I can't stand Kobe.

But I'm willing to admit that last night's performance was unbelievable. A 37 year old drops 60 points in a league dominated by guys in their mid to late 20s. I can guarantee you that Jordan didn't score 60 in his final game, and can guarantee that LeBron won't score 60 in his final game. That was something we'll never see again.

Kobe's team is out of control bad, but yet since he scored 60 last night, they beat an actually decent Jazz team that was desperate for a win, because a win gave them a shot at the playoffs.

Maybe Kobe should have been taking boat loads of shots all season, maybe his team would have won a little more. I don't care that it took him a ton of shots to do it. His team got the win because he scored 60, and carried them there.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That Rams deal is an absolute desperation trade. None of the QBs this year are worth trading what the Rams did to move up to #1.

And if rumors are true and they are really taking Goff, that's an even bigger mistake as Wentz is the better QB. Wentz might have played at a smaller school but the guy has real NFL skills. I'd love for the Broncos to get their hands on Wentz, but it's not happening.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Goff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He carried that ****** Cal team all year. I only watched 1 game of Wentz so I can't really judge him, but Mayock just loves him.

I don't have much issues with teams giving up a lot of picks and take a chance on getting a QB that might become a top 5/10 QB in the league.

No way guys Geoff is the real deal. He is the right pick at 1. I'm pretty disappointed because I wanted Dallas to draft him at 4

I'm just waiting for Jerry to pick up Manziel :naughty:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
That Rams deal is an absolute desperation trade. None of the QBs this year are worth trading what the Rams did to move up to #1.

And if rumors are true and they are really taking Goff, that's an even bigger mistake as Wentz is the better QB.

I don't know how anyone can really say such a thing. It's like saying some kid playing hockey for the past 2 years in an Austrian junior league is a better player than Mitch Marner. Given the vast difference in competition and level of play, how can anyone really know?

I think Goff is the best QB in the draft. He's a safer pick than Wentz, IMO.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm just waiting for Jerry to pick up Manziel :naughty:

I think I saw a blurb this morning that Manziel just got let go by his agent for the second time.

Rosenhaus this time. "He needs help", etc.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't know how anyone can really say such a thing. It's like saying some kid playing hockey for the past 2 years in an Austrian junior league is a better player than Mitch Marner. Given the vast difference in competition and level of play, how can anyone really know?

I think Goff is the best QB in the draft. He's a safer pick than Wentz, IMO.

Not really, Wentz is much more projectable to the NFL than Goff.

I don't care about competition levels, the fact is Wentz won/lead his team to 4 straight championships. That's ridiculous at any level. Not to mention Wentz played a pro style offense, that actually forces him to make reads and go through progressions. Whereas Goff played in the crappy spread offense that teaches QBs nothing other than to get the ball out quick to your first read. A perfect example of a player going to a small school and outperforming others in his draft is Vincent Jackson who went to Northern Colorado and was chosen 61st. Braylon Edwards (Michigan) was drafted #3 overall, Troy Williamson (South Carolina) went #7, Mike Williams (USC) #10 the list goes on. There were 10 WRs chosen before VJ that year the only one that has had a better career is Roddy White taken at #27 and the funny part is he went to a small school as well in Alabama Birmingham. Football is a lot different than hockey when it comes to prospects. If you're good, you're good it doesn't matter what school you went to. Whereas the vast majority of top prospects play in the CHL, NCAA, Sweden, Finland or Russia.

Spread offenses are trash for QBs but work in the NCAA because it relies on our athletes being better than your athletes. The QB is told to get rid of the ball quickly and let the WR/RB try to make a play in space. There are no complex routes or progressions to work through. Just get the ball out and let the athlete make a play.

That's why we are seeing shortage of quality starting starting QBs in the NFL. Because more and more NCAA teams are moving to the spread offense, which doesn't require QBs to do much of anything.

That's why I value players like Wentz, Cook, Hackenberg over players like Goff, Lynch, Precott etc. Wentz, Cook, Hackenberg all had to run NFL style offense, that force you to read defenses go through your progessions and make the right throw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad