OT: Other Sports aka 2 weeks until NFL Draft thread XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Brock-pokemon-18232516-418-358.jpg

Talk about Super Bowl winning Denver Broncos here
Talk about Rockies having 13 players with 50+ FV here (Oh my ****ing god)
Talk about the Nuggets going for Ben Simmons here
Talk about CU making the NCAA tourney here
Talk about CSU firing or not firing Eusatchy here

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
My Broncos all-time team using a 3-4:

QB: John Elway
RB: Terrel Davis
RB: Floyd Little
WR: Rod Smith
WR: Ed McCaffrey
TE: Shannon Sharpe
OT: Gary Zimmerman
OG: Mark Schlereth
C: Tom Nalen
OG: Keith Bishop
OT: Ryan Clady

DE: Lyle Alzado
NT: Reuben Carter
DE: Rulon Jones
OLB: Von Miller
ILB: Randy Gradishar
ILB: Karl Mecklenberg
OLB: Tom Jackson
CB: Champ Bailey
SS: Dennis Smith
FS: Steve Atwater
CB: Louis Wright

K: Jason Elam
P: Tom Rouen
KR/PR: Rick Upchurch

Clady is still on the roster, but I'm resigned to him leaving.

Demaryus could displace McCaffrey soon.

If there were a nickleback, Chris Harris Jr would be fighting it out with Ray Crockett and Tyrone Braxton.

Maybe Wolfe and/or Malik Jackson would supplant the DE's.

The Broncos just fielded one of the best defenses in history, and only one player from that roster makes the list? ;) I'm guessing length of tenure is a strong criterion.

Pretty cool trip down memory lane here. Glad you posted this.

I'd plug in someone from the current team in place of Alzado by virtue of him spending too much time as a Raider.

You could move TJ to ILB over Meck and put DWare on the outside. I'd also slide Tony Jones in over Clady.

Elway quoted in this report that Trevathan will hit the open market. They're still interested but he will hit FA.

http://m.denverbroncos.com/news-and...-Combine/590f876c-ac2b-42a9-b224-0bb7a80f1fc8

The last few posts from the last thread

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
My all-time team. Will use the 3-4 as well I guess...

RB: Terrell Davis
WR: Lionel Taylor
OG: Paul Howard

DE: Barney Chavous
NT: Rubin Carter
CB: Billy Thompson

P: Mike Horan

The tackle spots are tough - was actually thinking about putting Lepsis, Studdard, or Lanier in there. I also left Champ off there and I realize there will be homer young fans who uproar but the stats just don't add up for Champ against Billy or Louis Wright (Louis was such a shut down guy - he's a lock).

Also think McCaffrey and Demaryious are equal right now, but Lionel Taylor was better than both. Demaryious could pass him though with another 3-4 years of greatness.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I never saw Dennis Smith play, what's the argument for him over Lynch?

He was like Atwater, Lynch, and his college teammate Ronnie Lott, absolute brick wall. Once blocked two consecutive kick attempts by the Pats. Six Pro Bowls. Whole career here.

After him I'd say Steve Foley is next on the Safety list and all the way down in last place is Tony Lilly.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I never saw Dennis Smith play, what's the argument for him over Lynch?

Spent his entire career in Denver, four time all pro with the Broncos, Lynch has 0 all pro selections with the Broncos, he and Atwater were great together etc.

I think Alzado belongs as a DE despite becoming a Raider. And I noticed Bonzai selected Thompson, I know he was good and a part of the Orange Crush, but he was no Champ Bailey.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
So the front 7 on a 4-3 team

DE: Rich "Tombstone" Jackson
DT: Trevor Pryce
DT: Dave Costa
DE: Simon Fletcher

MLB: Randy Gradishar

If you want to be strict on the LBs playing in a 4-3

OLB: John Mobely
MLB: Al Wilson

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Wait. Is CU actually going to make the tourny? I know they beat Arizona this week but I didn't think they really were that good.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
RB: Terrel Davis
WR: Demarius Thomas
OG: Mark Schlereth

DE: Lyle Alzado
NT: Greg Kragen
CB: Champ Bailey

P: Britton Colquitt

For 4-3 DE I think you have to consider Dumerville. He bounced around a lot, but so did Mecklenberg, in the same way...LB in 3-4, DE in 4-3. But he was drafted as a DE, so that is where I slot him. Rich Jackson is highly thought of as well, but he was before my time, so no first hand opinion.

Also hard to pass up Simon Fletcher. But not over the 4 listed. Wilson is another HM.

Alzado is a tough one. Great here, great for the dirt bags. But no denying the talent. Wont argue if others have someone else though.

Carter or Kragen. My memory is fuzzy on NT for some reason. Kragen sticks out a bit more for me...plus he made a Pro Bowl. Probably due to recency.

Punter, I go with Colquitt...best average with a significant number of punts, and none blocked.

I think Demaryius has passed McCaffrey, as much as I loved him. My sentimental pick for WR would go to Steve Watson though.

Champ over Thompson for CB, with Wright as the no brainer.

Safety is probably the hardest spot to pick for me. Picking two of Atwater, Smith, Foley or Lynch (but he was getting slightly old by the time he came to the Broncos)...to not make it.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I thought long and hard about putting Mike Horan in there as punter.

MLB and OLB/DE were toughest choices on defense. Lots of good ones have come through here.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Wait. Is CU actually going to make the tourny? I know they beat Arizona this week but I didn't think they really were that good.
Look at their resume, they were pretty much in before the Arizona game. Beating them sealed it.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Woody Paige said Manning is retiring.

Is Woody Paige even relevant anymore?

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
The Mammoth game was absolutely epic today.

They trailed 9-4 going into the fourth quarter, and then forward Adam Jones decided to win the game all by himself.

He scored 6 goals and had 1 assist on 7 Mammoth goals in the quarter. Six goals in lacrosse is called a sock trick, and it's more rare than a hat trick in hockey. I don't think anyone has ever had a sock trick in a single quarter before. He had no goals or assists coming into the quarter. He got the sixth and final goal to take an 11-10 lead with less than 2 seconds on the clock and the Mammoth won.

That puts them at 7-2 halfway through the season, easily the best record in the NLL.

Plus I got home like 5 minutes before faceoff on the Avs/Wings game.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Who the hell would have thought CU would become a Basketball power moving into the PAC-12?:confused:

It's a lot easier to build a basketball program than it is to build a football program. All you need in basketball is a decent coach and a few years of patience.

Colorado and Colorado State both made excellent hires the last time they got new basketball coaches.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Any of you geeks out there understand how this hits our cap?
Same as him being cut.

Carter or Kragen. My memory is fuzzy on NT for some reason. Kragen sticks out a bit more for me...plus he made a Pro Bowl. Probably due to recency.
Kragen was always undersized,, but probably the best guy on that three man line. However, I think the decline in quality on the line lead to them being exposed in the Super Bowl routes. Reeves trying to replace Kragen was the motivation for the debacle drafting Ted Gregory.

I think Demaryius has passed McCaffrey, as much as I loved him. My sentimental pick for WR would go to Steve Watson though.

Right now the deciding factor for Eddie is his downfield blocking and his ability to convert 3rd downs.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Right now the deciding factor for Eddie is his downfield blocking and his ability to convert 3rd downs.

I would think the deciding factor for Eddie is that he didn't drop so many passes.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Saw that too. Announcement by end of week.

Any of you geeks out there understand how this hits our cap?

They get $19M back, but have a $2.5M cap hit for dead money.

I read that they really want Ware back. Cutting him would free up $10M. Maybe they want to restructure his last season or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad