WC: Team Canada 2024

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Time to start examining who’s improved their chances for the Olympic team from this tournament and whose stock has declined.

Gotta think Cozens has given himself a shot for 2026. Tavares too. Maybe Tanev if they’re looking for an energy guy. I’d think Guhle’s stock has gone up too, although maybe not enough.

Assuming Bedard is considered a lock, I’m thinking Canada has to be thinking about being careful who goes on his line: someone whose offensive attributes are complementary, but who have enough defensive strengths to overcome the sloppiness in his own end - although, yeah, he’s got some time to work on that part of his game.
Cozens yes, he should be kept under consideration. I think he's earned at least a summer camp invite. I give Tavares a lot of credit for coming over this year - I expected he would be good, and he has not disappointed. I think it would be a mistake to bring him to the Olympics though, he isn't going to be a centre on that team and in a year and a half he will certainly be a worse player. This is the level he is appropriate for at this point. Tanev deserves a lot of credit for his play as well, and guys like him can often come over and impress but there's no way it would translate as well when the level of play goes up significantly at the Olympics with NHLers. That's a trap that I would hope the braintrust could avoid since at the Olympic level Canada has elite players who can play the grinding roles.

Bedard is an interesting case and it's great that he came over for this tournament. There will have to be considerations as to how he is used since he very likely will be on the Olympic team. Putting him with another talented winger in McCann and with a solid defensive player in Paul is not a bad situation this year, so some of it is Bedard needing to figure out how to contribute. He isn't getting big minutes though or fed a ton of power play time. Let's see what he does in the remaining games. McDavid also had an uneven tournament in 2016 and he had great linemates (Marchand and Duchene) but he scored the winner in the gold medal game too. I'm sure that this will be a learning experience for Bedard, and hopefully he can contribute in big games and come away with a championship too.

None of the defencemen have really stepped up as clear number ones but I do like what Power and Byram have shown so far. I would bet against either making the 2026 Olympics but both are great talents with stuff to work on.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I am not dumping my support but I really dont care what happens now. Mcbain over Greig is also an absolute joke. Just slower less skilled choices when they are playing a skill game on the big ice. Its frankly boring. Does anyone wanna watch Tavares Dubois and Mcbain?.... Honestly. Does that fire you up? Do you think they are that much of a better team with those three players than Fantilli, Celebrini and Greig? Probably but not by much.
McBain is an excellent bruising physical forward who has a great shot and is capable of playing up and down the lineup, he gives it his all and is a good center, decent to good on faceoffs. Really good at cycling the puck and mean and nasty.

Greig is probably a higher potential guy but they had the same points this year and Greig had a lot more opportunity than McBain did, if TC wanted a big bruising centerman instead of a small feisty winger/center hybrid why is that such a big deal? Greig is more exciting to watch so he should play? I don't think that's how coaches think.

They're extremely similar players, Greig is a better playmaker, McBain is a better scorer and net front presence. I really don't understand why you think there's this huge difference between them. And Paul and Hagel replaced Celebrini and Fantilli, not Tavares and Dubois. I love all of those guys but this isn't really a development tournament anyways. TC definitely has a bias towards size and I'd rather see Celebrini and Fantilli play anyways, but by no means is it a big deal.

Sorry for responding so late to these posts, but I genuinely don't get it.

Reactions: Summer Rose

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
McBain is an excellent bruising physical forward who has a great shot and is capable of playing up and down the lineup, he gives it his all and is a good center, decent to good on faceoffs. Really good at cycling the puck and mean and nasty.

Greig is probably a higher potential guy but they had the same points this year and Greig had a lot more opportunity than McBain did, if TC wanted a big bruising centerman instead of a small feisty winger/center hybrid why is that such a big deal? Greig is more exciting to watch so he should play? I don't think that's how coaches think.

They're extremely similar players, Greig is a better playmaker, McBain is a better scorer and net front presence. I really don't understand why you think there's this huge difference between them. And Paul and Hagel replaced Celebrini and Fantilli, not Tavares and Dubois. I love all of those guys but this isn't really a development tournament anyways. TC definitely has a bias towards size and I'd rather see Celebrini and Fantilli play anyways, but by no means is it a big deal.

Sorry for responding so late to these posts, but I genuinely don't get it.
Greig hits harder, and agittates. More creative, better shot blocker. Better at hanging onto the puck.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Greig hits harder, and agittates. More creative, better shot blocker. Better at hanging onto the puck.
More creative, yes. Hits harder? No. Hits more often? Maybe. Agitates? Better than McBain, sure, but McBain is no slouch. Better shot blocker? No. Better at hanging onto the puck? Also no.

Even if all of that were true, it still doesn't really change the reasons why you would want McBain over Greig. Greig just isn't as good a net front presence and doesn't have the reach and size of a 6'4 212 guy. That's nothing against him, he'll probably be the much more productive guy in his career, but McBain is a great player. No need to disparage him. They're very similar players and each has advantages over the other, McBain was chosen and not Greig, big deal. Greig will have plenty of other opportunities and isn't hurting for the snub.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Mcbain is a better hockey player than Greig at this stage. Idk how you can argue otherwise. In the future that may change, however.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada played an excellent game against a motivated opponent, right up to the end.

You can't open a window with an offensive zone penalty like that at a key moment.

Binnington was sharp when he had to be. I liked the pace and tenacity of Canada, I think they played a much more up-tempo game than we've seen in previous games.

What can you say about Dylan Cozens, what a game from him.

Bedard first 3 games : 5+1
Bedard last 4 games : 0+0

what gives? his role, ice time changed?
i watched Canada's first 4 games, havent wachced last 3

Yeah, his icetime has been carefully managed as the level of competition has gone up.

When he has the puck, you can still see his elite hockey IQ, passing skills and rocket shot, but his decision-making and his level of focus on defence can be a bit questionable.

Took an unnecessary penalty today.

He's probably not used to playing so little, so he's feeling the pressure when he gets out there to get something done.

Ideally he'd get his mojo back on the PP.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mcbain is a better hockey player than Greig at this stage. Idk how you can argue otherwise. In the future that may change, however.
He really isnt, there is plenty to argue you just actually have to watch. Mcbain plays for Tourigny, thats why he is playing over him. Why ruin that relationship by healthy scratching him and bringing him over. Clear as day.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Yeah, his icetime has been carefully managed as the level of competition has gone up.

When he has the puck, you can still see his elite hockey IQ, passing skills and rocket shot, but his decision-making and his level of focus on defence can be a bit questionable.

Took an unnecessary penalty today.

He's probably not used to playing so little, so he's feeling the pressure when he gets out there to get something done.

Ideally he'd get his mojo back on the PP.
Yeah, it's probably the first time he's faced any real adversity in years. It's a good character check for the kid. I hope Tavares, as the grizzled old first-overall pick, could pull him aside and give him some advice. I kind of suspect his time in Chicago has kind of reinforced bad habits, because there were such low expectations for their season, so it didn't matter that he made bad defensive plays. I mean, who else was Chicago going to play in his place?

That penalty late today was concerning, because it was really selfish at a time when the team couldn't afford it. I have to say, if the 2026 team was selected today, I wouldn't object to him being left off, based on what we're seeing this week.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
With the Canucks eliminated, perhaps one of the ... uh... 4 Canadians on their roster could fill out Canada's roster.

The funny thing is even if every single Canadian made themselves available after that loss, was healthy, and was eager to play, they wouldn't improve this team. Maybe Carson Soucy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That penalty late today was concerning, because it was really selfish at a time when the team couldn't afford it. I have to say, if the 2026 team was selected today, I wouldn't object to him being left off, based on what we're seeing this week.

Well, it was Mercer with the late penalty.

Bedard took his about halfway through the 2nd. Unnecessary cross-check though for no benefit.

EDIT: Correction - yes it was halfway through the 3rd.

He clearly has some work ahead of him to round out his game but I wouldn't be surprised at all if by 2026 it would be insane to leave him off.

The funny thing is even if every single Canadian made themselves available after that loss, was healthy, and was eager to play, they wouldn't improve this team. Maybe Carson Soucy.

Aren't too many NHL teams like that.

He really isnt, there is plenty to argue you just actually have to watch. Mcbain plays for Tourigny, thats why he is playing over him. Why ruin that relationship by healthy scratching him and bringing him over. Clear as day.

McBain did have a good game today.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORRFForever

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Cozens coming out party. When he plays with this confidence and speed he looks like a potential 40 goal scorer

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Mcbain takes faceoffs tho, defensively sound, been very happy with him.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Bedard took his about halfway through the 2nd. Unnecessary cross-check though for no benefit.
Halfway through the third. The Czechs' first goal was on the power play with him in the box. It wasn't the last penalty but it was still the wrong time to take an unselfish penalty.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Halfway through the third. The Czechs' first goal was on the power play with him in the box. It wasn't the last penalty but it was still the wrong time to take an unselfish penalty.

Whoops, you are right.

Not the way to get more icetime for sure in the key elimination games going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad