OT: Other Sports 74

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This is the 1st positive comment I've seen on Myers. Cubs fans on Twitter & The Athletic are pissed that's who they're going with.

People are going to hate the choice no matter what. I am not sure how positive my comment is but I am indifferent at this point and I don’t really mind Myers as he will not push me away or anything nuts like that.

I have a strong dislike for how the Ricketts family has handled the team in general. I never liked them getting the team in general.

Juat wait till the Hawks replace Foley... (who I personally can’t stand anymore)

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am fine with Kasper leaving. He was annoying to me. Chris Meyers though is not far from Kasper in quality. They both suck.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Most announcers are replacement level. Unless you get a great one like Vin Scully, it makes little difference to me.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Makes no sense to me, to not bring him back. It's a dumb move. Not a fan of Grandal, but Sox are stuck with him.
Not a fan of a top 2 catcher in the game over the last 5 years, would rather have a guy who's put together 2 good half seasons.

Alrighty then.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not a fan of a top 2 catcher in the game over the last 5 years, would rather have a guy who's put together 2 good half seasons.

Alrighty then.

He's 32, and age is a concern for catchers more than anyone. I think he's going to decline quickly, and the Sox are paying him $18.5M a season. Will he be a top 2 catcher in the game the next 2-3 seasons? Highly doubtful. He wasn't one last year.

I didn't like the contract at the time, and I don't like it now. The value you get for Grandal at more than double what McCann will likely make, isn't worth it. Especially for a team that doesn't like to spend money.

For all the talk about how great Grandal's defense is, he sure seems to make some big gaffes behind the plate. He seemed to quite often struggle catching breaking balls, as well. Hurray for pitch framing, I guess.

Grandal's post season stats in the batter's box are abysmal, to boot.

It is what it is, at this point. Nothing that can be done.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
As long as Pat Hughes stays on, I can be okay.

But man, the Cubs organization is smelling rotten.

I suspect if/when Pat Hughes leaves, Kasper will be the first call by the Cubs and he'll likely return. I personally think he took the WS job because he did not want to move out of Chicago. But this hurts. Non-Cub fans don't realize how entertaining and comforting him and DeShaies were as a combo.

To each their own, I guess, but I can't understand how people can think Kasper is annoying.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I thought Kasper was pretty damn good. I don’t get it.

He is and it's going to be unnatural to hear him call WS games. But again, I suspect when Pat Hughes retires, the Cubs will come calling for Kasper to replace Hughes and I think Kasper will accept. I don't see Kasper lasting 16 years with the Sox. I don't know if he last 5 years with the Sox. Right now, I am looking at Kasper leaving the Cubs as a temporary break.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
He is and it's going to be unnatural to hear him call WS games. But again, I suspect when Pat Hughes retires, the Cubs will come calling for Kasper to replace Hughes and I think Kasper will accept. I don't see Kasper lasting 16 years with the Sox. I don't know if he last 5 years with the Sox. Right now, I am looking at Kasper leaving the Cubs as a temporary break.

Counterpoint: Despite what he's said, I suspect he has no interest in working for the Ricketts family ever again.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Was this a money move? I don't get it from the Cubs/Kasper perspective.

There are rumors that some of the new guidelines set forth by the Marquee were not to his liking, ie he hated the 3 man booth because it disrupted his rapport with JD.

I still believe Kasper will return to the Cubs once Hughes retires.

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015

Alrighty then.
I know right... having a top catcher is a true problem for the sox apparently. Even for people claiming he had a bad season last year he was still second in WAR for catchers. I guess I’m missing all of the better options that are out there.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
There are rumors that some of the new guidelines set forth by the Marquee were not to his liking, ie he hated the 3 man booth because it disrupted his rapport with JD.

I still believe Kasper will return to the Cubs once Hughes retires.
I find this to be a weird take. Almost like the dude that gets dumped by his girlfriend but is in denial about it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I wonder if Stone may be contemplating this being his last year

He is 74 after all

Kasper could do radio for year and then slot into booth for 2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad