OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
So Rockies are only 1 game out of the NL West after I and a lot of people said they were done.

But who cares, I'm more interested in the long snapper battle at Dove Valley. Who's it gonna be?

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I don't care about anything until after Saturday. Outlaws either gonna make me very happy drunk or very sad drunk.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm sorry but a great deal of that was self-inflicted. He was a golden boy up until the incident with his wife. I'm not begrudging him the knee injury and subsequent addiction issues, but the other bad behavior is entirely on him.

And honestly I don't really care much if a rock star, athlete, or celebrity makes poor decisions for the most part. I mean, I ain't the morality police and I don't consider Tiger, John Elway, or even Ray Bourque a role model per se, I just really like or liked them as athletes. But I simply can't ignore the off-course stuff in his case. He has every right to reclaim his greatness and I'd be happy for him if he succeeds...but I'm just not a big fan of his any longer.

I don't blame people one bit for getting excited about him, but I have to wonder if it's because he's so compelling a presence or because the rest of the men's golfing world simply isn't.

I’m not sure I’ll ever be a “fan” of his like I used to be because I’ve heard too many stories about how big an a-hole he can be. I also agree a lot of his problems were self inflicted. The stuff with his swing, his caddies and his wife were completely avoidable and ultimately helped his demise.

Though I still think it would be an unbelievable story for him to come back and win a major again.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm sorry but a great deal of that was self-inflicted. He was a golden boy up until the incident with his wife. I'm not begrudging him the knee injury and subsequent addiction issues, but the other bad behavior is entirely on him.

And honestly I don't really care much if a rock star, athlete, or celebrity makes poor decisions for the most part. I mean, I ain't the morality police and I don't consider Tiger, John Elway, or even Ray Bourque a role model per se, I just really like or liked them as athletes. But I simply can't ignore the off-course stuff in his case. He has every right to reclaim his greatness and I'd be happy for him if he succeeds...but I'm just not a big fan of his any longer.

I don't blame people one bit for getting excited about him, but I have to wonder if it's because he's so compelling a presence or because the rest of the men's golfing world simply isn't.
What Trust Fund Jones and Guy Whitely don't do it for you?

Reactions: McMetal and 5280

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So Rockies are only 1 game out of the NL West after I and a lot of people said they were done.

But who cares, I'm more interested in the long snapper battle at Dove Valley. Who's it gonna be?
Sadly I think the Rockies will fall short, too much reliance on below average vets and a highly erratic bullpen.

Take tonight for instance, right handed pitcher and we get a DH but no David Dahl, instead we run out Parra who isn't much more of a singles hitter at this point. Wouldn't take that chance that that young talented player actually got you a homerun or something. Not to mention this teams love affair with Ian can't hit a beach ball Desmond, and it black hole known as the catcher position. Take a page out of the Avs book and play the kids, it will pay off in the end.

At the end of the day, I give the Rox credit, I thought they were done like dinner but they've really fought hard to get to where they are. Maybe they can pull it off and actually win the division, but it's going to be incredibly difficult.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Take tonight for instance, right handed pitcher and we get a DH but no David Dahl, instead we run out Parra who isn't much more of a singles hitter at this point. Wouldn't take that chance that that young talented player actually got you a homerun or something. Not to mention this teams love affair with Ian can't hit a beach ball Desmond, and it black hole known as the catcher position. Take a page out of the Avs book and play the kids, it will pay off in the end.

Parra has very good stats againts righties.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Parra has very good stats againts righties.
Still doesn't take away from the fact he only has 22 extra base hits all season in close to 400 at bats. He has a decent average and on base percentage, but you aren't getting much else. Whereas IMO I'd rather take my chances on a guy like Dahl who can give you more than a meaningless single here and there.

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
Rockies usually have 2 good hitters in the lineup. 3 when German Marquez is pitching.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I posted on Twitter my least favorite player from each of my favorite teams. Here's my list:

Avalanche - Bates Battaglia
Nuggets - Raef Lafrentz
Broncos - Kyle Orton
Rockies - Jeff Cirillo

I strongly considered Bobby Chouinard for the Rox entry but he's on another level of despicable-ness far beyond sports.

member 116861

I posted on Twitter my least favorite player from each of my favorite teams. Here's my list:

Avalanche - Bates Battaglia
Nuggets - Raef Lafrentz
Broncos - Kyle Orton
Rockies - Jeff Cirillo

I strongly considered Bobby Chouinard for the Rox entry but he's on another level of despicable-ness far beyond sports.

Brad May

Reactions: arun

member 116861

Avalanche - Shane O'Brien/Brad May but probably SOB
Whitecaps - Kendall Waston or any of the diving South Americans
Lions - Cauchy Muamba
Blue Jays - Jose Bautista
Raptors - Kyle Lowry
Chargers - Marlon McCree/Eric Weddle

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
This is easy.

Avalanche - Martin Skoula
Broncos - Josh McDaniels
Nuggets - Kenyon Martin / Carmelo Anthony
Rockies - Troy Tulowitzki

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I tried to keep it to just the players, though I'm not trying to set rules or anything. If I included front office/coaching then Dan O'Dud and Josh McDaniels would most assuredly be on the list. Can't wait for Belichick and Brady to ride off into the sunset together and watch that guy run the Patriots straight back into their Remington-shaver-owned days of irrelevance.

This is easy.

Avalanche - Martin Skoula
Broncos - Josh McDaniels
Nuggets - Kenyon Martin / Carmelo Anthony
Rockies - Troy Tulowitzki

Okay...I understand the first two, slightly befuddled by the third, and whaaaaaaaaaat on the fourth.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Martin was the posterboy for the Thuggets. Never thought he was a great human being at all and most nights had absolutely no problem sitting on the bench making $20M/year. I always have seen Carmelo as one of the most selfish guys in the entire NBA - he’s been the 21st century version of Adrian Dantley/Bernard King; a great third wheel in his mid to late 30s but never was going to win a championship as the main cog. Plus I’ll admit I’m super biased on this one - I was a huge George Karl fan before he even got to Denver, and I always took Karl’s side vs Anthony. I read Karl’s biography when I was back in high school and just always had a lot of respect for him.

For Tulo, I always sensed there was this “Will the Rockies tie up Tulo or Cargo long term?” question. Tulo ended up getting the huge money and Cargo ended up signing a below market deal (at least IMO and Scott Boras’s opinion). Then all the Tulo injuries happened and he didn’t always come back as quickly as some would have liked him to. I just was always a Cargo guy and thought Tulo was a little bit of a prima donna. Absolutely fantastic when he did play but you’d always cringe or question when the next injury or day off was going to occur - at least I did. It got old for me after a while. Looking back maybe Tulo was better than Cargo - could probably argue either way. But I was just never sold on him as a fan and I was glad when they ultimately shipped him off.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Avalanche - Rick Pracey - destroyed us on the draft front.
Broncos - Rahim "The Bad Dream" Moore - possibly cost us another trip to the Super Bowl. Every time I see Flacco's Hail Mary, I just shake my head.
Nuggets - Kenyon Martin - Poser, and a D bag.
Rockies - Monfort

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
How is Jose Reyes not everyone’s least fav Rockies player?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
How is Jose Reyes not everyone’s least fav Rockies player?

He was pretty much irrelevant the entire time he was there. It's kinda like Bryan Marchment or Dale Hunter with the Avs...their stints were so unmemorable they don't even count IMO. And frankly, as I mentioned before, I don't even think Reyes is the worst human being to ever wear a Rox uniform--that's Bobby Chouinard.

Cirillo had one solid season with the Rox, snagged a huge contract, promptly imploded, and then spent the next few years slagging the organization and Coors Field following his departure. While I've no love of the Rockies organization itself it just felt like one, long, continuous whine.

Did we ask you about non-Colorado teams? Huh?

Hey there, Salty, Bricky can like all the crappy football franchises he wants!

JWK

Mar 27, 2010
He was pretty much irrelevant the entire time he was there. It's kinda like Bryan Marchment or Dale Hunter with the Avs...their stints were so unmemorable they don't even count IMO. And frankly, as I mentioned before, I don't even think Reyes is the worst human being to ever wear a Rox uniform--that's Bobby Chouinard.

Cirillo had one solid season with the Rox, snagged a huge contract, promptly imploded, and then spent the next few years slagging the organization and Coors Field following his departure. While I've no love of the Rockies organization itself it just felt like one, long, continuous whine.
Jose Reyes bitched the moment he joined the team, then was garbage on the field and then was an even bigger garbage off the field.

My memory of Cirillo was solid player and then was traded for Fuentes. And looking on Fangraphs, he had back to back 3+ WAR years. I get people have reasons on why they hate certain players though.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Denver Outlaws phenom Chris Cloutier won MLL rookie of the year, despite only playing 6 games due to injury.

He managed 40 points (26 goals, 14 assists) in his 6 games. That pace stretched across the whole 14 game season would break the single season MLL scoring record by 15 points.

He's been out since he went down in the first half against the Rattlers on July 22, but he's listed as a game time decision tomorrow against those same Rattlers in the MLL Championship. If he can play it'll be a huge boost for the Outlaws.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Is this Elway comment an actual “thing” or is it just the media being the media? I see Kiszla’s being Kiszla again, lol. Dude’s a grade A moron.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If we are just confining this to players:

Avalanche: Brad May, breathed a sigh of relief when Bryan Marchment got through his rental without maiming an opponent.

Broncos: Gerald Perry/Clarence Kay

Nuggets: Mahmoud Abdul Rauf

Rockies: Darryl Kile, not for anything he did, but just what he represented a just a dumb signing a curveball at this altitude.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I gotta be honest, I just can't get excited about Tiger anymore. I get why others are, but I just can't, and I practically worshipped the guy back in the day.

I can’t relate. I’m a golf professional and no one moves the needle for me except tiger. He’s the only reason golf has ever been relevant as a sport in the 21st century. He’s the only reason golf IS a sport and not just a hobby for rich fat old men sharing stories about who’s the biggest scum bag. What he is doing recently is almost as astonishing to me as what he accomplished at the pinnacle of his prime. The guy has a fused spine and recorded the highest swing speed of the season by any pga tour player. He also posted his lowest ever Sunday round in a major in the PGA Championship. Golf is just better with tiger, and all his indiscressions and his antisocial personality can’t change that fact.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can’t relate. I’m a golf professional and no one moves the needle for me except tiger. He’s the only reason golf has ever been relevant as a sport in the 21st century. He’s the only reason golf IS a sport and not just a hobby for rich fat old men sharing stories about who’s the biggest scum bag. What he is doing recently is almost as astonishing to me as what he accomplished at the pinnacle of his prime. The guy has a fused spine and recorded the highest swing speed of the season by any pga tour player. He also posted his lowest ever Sunday round in a major in the PGA Championship. Golf is just better with tiger, and all his indiscressions and his antisocial personality can’t change that fact.

Fair enough, I’ll admit I don’t know shit about golf, and like I said being a half-Asian man myself, seeing another half-Asian man completely take over an entire sport like he did (especially one dominated by a bunch of white guys up until then) was amazing to watch. I guess maybe that’s why I’m still kinda mad at him, can’t help it. Maybe my mind will change in time, but that’s where I’m at right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad