OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
You’re going to have to do a little convincing to make me think that was smart at all.

It was all based on analytics. If they got the 2 then they only had to get 1 pt on the next TD to tie. Otherwise they would have had to go for two again. The chances of them failing twice were pretty remote. The QB sneaks were also drawn up based on analytics.

The question is - if analytics are used again and again and fail, does the analytic conventions revert back to the way the NFL has always done it? :)

Reactions: Avs_19

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Chad Kelly is awfully lucky that guy picked up a vacuum cleaner pipe and not a firearm.

Dude's career in the NFL is over now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I never had any faith in Kelly becoming an NFL player anyway. Every time that dude opens his mouth he reminds me of the dim-witted douchebag Dave Franco played on Scrubs. Not a lot upstairs, and obviously he has the judgment and maturity of an overripe potato. I get that Elway took a flier on him because of what his old buddy, and Chad's uncle, Jim Kelly said about him, but he's simply not worth the trouble. Yet another swing-and-miss for Elway. They're starting to pile up.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I never had any faith in Kelly becoming an NFL player anyway. Every time that dude opens his mouth he reminds me of the dim-witted *****ebag Dave Franco played on Scrubs. Not a lot upstairs, and obviously he has the judgment and maturity of an overripe potato. I get that Elway took a flier on him because of what his old buddy, and Chad's uncle, Jim Kelly said about him, but he's simply not worth the trouble. Yet another swing-and-miss for Elway. They're starting to pile up.
It's hard to give Elway too much grief about Kelly. He was Mr. Irrelevant, him getting this far is impressive in it's own right considering he might have the intelligence of a toddler.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's hard to give Elway too much grief about Kelly. He was Mr. Irrelevant, him getting this far is impressive in it's own right considering he might have the intelligence of a toddler.

He's still wasting a roster spot, time, and salary. Just goes to show you just how truly and transcendently awful Paxton Lynch was that he couldn't beat out this dope.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I never had any faith in Kelly becoming an NFL player anyway. Every time that dude opens his mouth he reminds me of the dim-witted *****ebag Dave Franco played on Scrubs. Not a lot upstairs, and obviously he has the judgment and maturity of an overripe potato. I get that Elway took a flier on him because of what his old buddy, and Chad's uncle, Jim Kelly said about him, but he's simply not worth the trouble. Yet another swing-and-miss for Elway. They're starting to pile up.

I mean can you really criticize Elway on a player not panning out that was picked last in the draft? The chances of a 7th rounder hitting the field are slim as it is. I think there’s a lot of things to criticize Elway for, but Kelly not panning out should be way at the bottom of that list.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
It was all based on analytics. If they got the 2 then they only had to get 1 pt on the next TD to tie. Otherwise they would have had to go for two again. The chances of them failing twice were pretty remote. The QB sneaks were also drawn up based on analytics.

The question is - if analytics are used again and again and fail, does the analytic conventions revert back to the way the NFL has always done it? :)
A NFL team that was one of the most analytical team won the super bowl last year. So how did analytics fail?

Also Patriots are big on analytics too, so your “analytics are used again again and fail” is wrong.

You’re going to have to do a little convincing to make me think that was smart at all.

Down 14, Scoring a Touchdown, and then Going For 2

Reactions: 5280

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean can you really criticize Elway on a player not panning out that was picked last in the draft? The chances of a 7th rounder hitting the field are slim as it is. I think there’s a lot of things to criticize Elway for, but Kelly not panning out should be way at the bottom of that list.

Again, it's not just drafting--it's development. It doesn't matter where they drafted him, he is currently the #2 quarterback on a team with Super Bowl aspirations. He's wasting time and money and a roster spot that could have, and should have, gone to someone else. The fact remains that I don't think they would've given him the time of day had he not been Jim Kelly's nephew. All this time they could've been maybe looking for a better and more reliable depth option at the very least, so IMO, yes, I can criticize Elway for this, because while he may have been drafted in the 7th round, he sure as hell hasn't been treated like a 7th rounder, the investment has been WAY higher than that.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
At this point if the Broncos can trade away a guy like DT and Roby and get some good picks out of it I’ll be happy. Honestly should just tank next season so they can draft Tua from Bama.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
One down, three to go @RockLobster !

Let's hope they make it happen, cap'n!

Last night was, even though the final score says otherwise, a good & close game. Won't lie, I had some doubt about Nunez before he lasered that ball *just* over the Monster. I want to see the David Price from Game 5 of the ALCS tonight!

Reactions: Ivan13

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Let's hope they make it happen, cap'n!

Last night was, even though the final score says otherwise, a good & close game. Won't lie, I had some doubt about Nunez before he lasered that ball *just* over the Monster. I want to see the David Price from Game 5 of the ALCS tonight!

Seemed we were in control most of the night. And that Kelly changeup on Kemp, that was filthy.

Joe Kelly throws filthy changeup to Matt Kemp

Reactions: RockLobster

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Seemed we were in control most of the night. And that Kelly changeup on Kemp, that was filthy.

Joe Kelly throws filthy changeup to Matt Kemp

I mean the Sox were never down, but LA didn't go quietly into the night after getting down 2-0 in the 1st. They kept the pressure on, and if not for a relatively unexpected 3-run HR from Nunez, that game either ends 5-4 or...

BUT, all that matters is that we got the W, and are now 3 away from another WS. Cora has pushed all the right buttons so far, so let's hope it continues!

Reactions: Ivan13

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh, and you're right @Ivan13--that was an absolutely filthy changeup by Kelly to strikeout Kemp. Joe would be an AMAZING bullpen arm if he were even just slightly more consistent. But I saw someone sum him up last night in a good way: "He's too inconsistent during the season, but his stuff is so good that he can have a good postseason since it's shorter"

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Chad Kelly released. He was a tiny sliver of hope for the Broncos at QB. Ready to embrace the Kevin Hogan era? They are going to be in 5-11/7-9 purgatory for a long time.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
They are going to be in 5-11/7-9 purgatory for a long time.

I get that this will be blasphemy to some, but if the Broncos do finish in that 5-11/6-10 range, with a mediocre stater signed for one more year and absolutely zero young QB talent in the organization, they should think about trading Von Miller.

He’ll be 30 at the start of next season, the team just drafted his replacement (well, sort of), and he has value. Broncos need to rebuild talent all over the roster, not just at QB.

Would be a tough decision to make.

Reactions: Grackle Party
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad