OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sure but we're not talking average NCAA, were talking about top NCAA guys who good chunk are going to at very minimum get drafted and some are only in the NCAA because they aren't old enough to be in the NFL. 80% or more of the Clemson starters today will probably find their way to a NFL roster over the next couple of seasons. Not all will stick but they have the skills to at least get a shot.

You can't tell me that a team with a NFL caliber qb, at least another 5-6 1st/2nd round caliber players, and bunch of quality 4/5 star recruits that more than likely will eventually get drafted, wouldn't be able at least be hyper competitive with the Jets who get blasted almost every week including give up what 37 to the Ryipen lead Broncos. I just don't believe that a healthy Clemson wouldn't have a prayer against the Jets or even the Giants or any other bottom 5 team.
It doesn’t matter if they have a bunch of 1/2 rounders on their team when chances are not all of them become NFL players. Then add into the fact that 80+% of Clemson team won’t even be close to NFL players and it’s not even close.

That’s like saying North Dakota could beat the Redwings.

Last edited:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Bradley Chubb alone would plow through even the best blocking the NCAA could muster. If you think the best NCAA line even holds a candle to the worst NFL line, you're kidding yourselves.
Yeah, just a silly notion.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I hope they trade Simmons

they aren’t going to resign him.
He’ll fetch a 2nd rounder plus a 3rd rounder considering he was an all pro last season

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I hope they trade Simmons

they aren’t going to resign him.
He’ll fetch a 2nd rounder plus a 3rd rounder considering he was an all pro last season

I think they'll get a comp pick for him if he leaves - that'll probably set the market

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Because Elway's playing hardball with him on money despite the fact he's one of the top safeties in the game.....so the dude wants to probably explore the market and ya really can't blame him.

That being said, he'll probably fetch a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick in compensation pick so maybe Elway just wants to cut his losses with the guy and accumulate another pick.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Because Elway's playing hardball with him on money despite the fact he's one of the top safeties in the game.....so the dude wants to probably explore the market and ya really can't blame him.

That being said, he'll probably fetch a 2nd/3rd/4th round pick in compensation pick so maybe Elway just wants to cut his losses with the guy and accumulate another pick.

I thought all compensatory picks were round 3 and later.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

They might just keep tagging him. Players hate it, but sitting out a year didn't work for Bell. So I doubt many other players will try that.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I thought all compensatory picks were round 3 and later.

Yep you're right - I was expecting Hasbro to chime in. He's usually all over the comp pick awards. Even after I read through the formula I still don't really get how they're formulated. But Simmons has gotta be worth a 3rd/4th I would think?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yep you're right - I was expecting Hasbro to chime in. He's usually all over the comp pick awards. Even after I read through the formula I still don't really get how they're formulated. But Simmons has gotta be worth a 3rd/4th I would think?
Size Queen.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
If they use the franchise tag on him he's SOL and can't negotiate with other teams. I'd assume that would be the tag used for Simmonds.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
For the love of God Broncos. Please fire the OC. He's the worst play caller I've ever seen. Who calls a run play with less than 40 seconds in the half with only 1 timeout?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It's actually embarrassing how incompetent the Broncos offenses is. I know it's a rookie QB, but the play calling, lack of execution and understanding is all on the OC.

I pray for the day we are free of Joe Ellis.

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
For the love of God Broncos. Please fire the OC. He's the worst play caller I've ever seen. Who calls a run play with less than 40 seconds in the half with only 1 timeout?
I really didn’t have a problem with Scangarello last year he got pretty good at calling games late last year when Drew was starting out. Would’ve liked to see another year of him at OC with lock but they said F it and fired him and hired an inept OC in Shurmur

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's actually embarrassing how incompetent the Broncos offenses is. I know it's a rookie QB, but the play calling, lack of execution and understanding is all on the OC.

I pray for the day we are free of Joe Ellis.
In fairness to Lock and Shurmer it's really hard to have a game plan when every play is busted by the simple fact that the offensive line is downright terrible. Lock is almost instantly in run for his life mode, basically every play, because we can't block even a 3 man rush.

I really don't like Shurmer but it's tough to say if it's him or is the offensive line so bad that you can't even remotely get a read due to the large number of broken plays. I will say that this crap of trying to run up the middle on every single first down at beginning of the game needs to stop. You can't do that it today's NFL, you got to pass to setup the run. But he is too stubborn to believe that and is stuck in the old days of run to set up the pass. It doesn't work and is killing our offense by putting us in bad situations behind the down on a consistent basis and Lock isn't good enough to constantly bail us out of 2nd/3rd and long.

Same goes for Lock people seemingly want to write him off, me included I was really down on him two weeks ago. But after further analysis, not sure I can evaluate him when the offensive line gives him no time to even attempt to run normal plays. Running for your life because someone is instantly in your face is not a proper way to evaluate a QB. It's not hard to look really good on defense when you are able to get instant pressure on 4 man rushes, because that gives you 7 guys to defend the pass. Drew Lock is going to have a rough go if we aren't ever going to block for him.

Reactions: sethro109

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It's really difficult to assess the offense for sure.

I hate Shurmur - I don't know if I wrote it on here before but the guy puts his QBs in such horrible situations with his play calls. There's like zero effort to actually help his QB by Shurmur. I go back and forth whether or not the problem is Shurmur or Lock but there's a lot of times Lock is forcing the ball deep when he has sometimes multiple WRs open underneath. Whoever's fault that is - it's pretty much moot because it's just the dynamic between the two isn't working (either Shurmur needs to stop forcing it or Lock needs better coaching from Shurmur).

The catch-22 of all this is that you can't just dump Shurmur and bring in a 3rd OC to handle Lock when the guy has barely played a season. It's a disaster. At this point you're almost as tied to Shurmur as you are to Lock.

I'm not sold that it's the OL but holy hell - get Ju'Wuan James off this team. That guy doesn't want to play, makes a lot of $$, and is worthless. I can't imagine that after opting out this year anyone's going to want to play with the guy. He left the team in a complete bind.

The other thing I'll throw out there - Bolles is the #1 rated tackle in the game right now by PFF. So the line's not completely freaking terrible. And PFF might not be the best source and may be biased but Bolles has actually played well. Gotta give credit to the kid and eat crow on that one. I thought he was 100% bust.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
How much money will the broncos lose if they cut James at the end of the season. Didn't he have around 35mil guaranteed?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I hate Shurmur - I don't know if I wrote it on here before but the guy puts his QBs in such horrible situations with his play calls. There's like zero effort to actually help his QB by Shurmur. I go back and forth whether or not the problem is Shurmur or Lock but there's a lot of times Lock is forcing the ball deep when he has sometimes multiple WRs open underneath. Whoever's fault that is - it's pretty much moot because it's just the dynamic between the two isn't working (either Shurmur needs to stop forcing it or Lock needs better coaching from Shurmur).

The catch-22 of all this is that you can't just dump Shurmur and bring in a 3rd OC to handle Lock when the guy has barely played a season. It's a disaster. At this point you're almost as tied to Shurmur as you are to Lock.

I'm not sold that it's the OL but holy hell - get Ju'Wuan James off this team. That guy doesn't want to play, makes a lot of $$, and is worthless. I can't imagine that after opting out this year anyone's going to want to play with the guy. He left the team in a complete bind.

The other thing I'll throw out there - Bolles is the #1 rated tackle in the game right now by PFF. So the line's not completely freaking terrible. And PFF might not be the best source and may be biased but Bolles has actually played well. Gotta give credit to the kid and eat crow on that one. I thought he was 100% bust.

Bolles has played excellent this year, good on him to work hard at improving, it shows big time. Him and Risner have been fine. It's the center and right side of the line that is hideous.

We basically need 3/5ths of a offensive line, and agree with you on James get him out of here as soon as possible, he has no desire to play football. He is perfectly content to sit at home do nothing and collect a check. Not to mention that he'll have basically sat out 2 straight seasons, no way he comes back and plays effectively after that.

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

It's not the whole line it's just the right side. I can't remember Lock ever going down from the outside left this year at all. Both the guard and tackle spots needs better players. Not only are they busting through the RG, RT gap, but I see a lot of pressure coming from the C, RG gap as well. Our OL coach is one of the best in the business and has made terrific lines everywhere hes been. This is all terrible drafting and FA signings by Elway and Ellis. We needed to made a trade, but the cost was too high I guess.

We're in a terrible spot to draft a future franchise QB, but we should be right in the wheel house for a good lineman. I REALLY hope we draft a lineman in the first for the upcoming draft. We don't need another RB and we have two very good WRs and a star TE. We do need a CB on defense, but I think that can wait for the 2nd round for that. If Von and Chubb can ever be healthy at the same time, they should be lethal. Our DTs are doing a good job at stopping the inside runs and our inside backers are young and improving since Davis left. Franchise tag Simmonds and we should be set for next year.

Although we could use a better special teams coach. We have a good punter and kicker and our return guy, Spencer is also solid and never muffs.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

It depends on the next contract he signs. The bigger contracts/snap count guys deliver 3rd round picks.

It also depends on whether the Broncos sign FAs this offseason and how many.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I don't believe they realistically can. I believe he has a $19M dead cap hit for 2021.

Note: I'm not sure if Covid opt-outs change dead cap money calculations, etc.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Teams that don't have a franchise QB simply don't succeed in the NFL. Until the Broncos get one, they are just rotating pieces. It looks like there are 3 legit chances at a franchise guy with Lawrence, Fields and Lance. Wilson and Trask both look legit too... especially Wilson. If the Broncos could make ANY move to get one of the top 3 they should, the next two should be around for them to have a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia