OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm glad I'm not a die-hard broncos fan.
Same. I’m definitely a fan but it isn’t the same as the Avs for me. I’m much more comfortable watching Red Zone and just enjoying the league as a whole than getting worked up over how shitty the Broncos are.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I think the craziest part of Drew Lock being as horrendous as he is, is the fact that he’s surrounded with talent. Even with Sutton out he’s still has so many open targets and he’s still pitiful. Just a really bad quarterback.
It doesn't matter who is playing qb and what talent is around them when you can't block the simplest of rushes.

You could throw Patrick Mahomes behind our offensive line and he'd look crappy.

Not making excuses for Lock, but it's impossible to do anything when you get hit every single play and are basically running for your life the second you get the ball.

The offensive line has to change or we will never see any improvements. There is no other qb in the league getting hit as much a Lock. It's a joke out there. And quite frankly I feel bad for Lock as is getting abused, because no one blocks for him.

Reactions: sethro109

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Who the heck even owns the team?

like who makes decisions?
I heard it was one of the daughters.

because I think it is time for a clean break from Elway.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

The team is left to a trust of 3 people. I forget all of the members, but one of them is Joe Ellis. I don't think it's any secret he wants to own the team and he's terrible. He's the main reason we don't have Kyle Shanahan as a head coach. It's also been long suspected that he's blocked a lot of Elway's moves. He doesn't have the power to fire Elway either. It's all just terrible. Maybe Elway would be good with unrestricted full control, but we'll probably never know.

Edit: When Pat got alzheimer's he made the trust because he wanted his kids to earn the ownership. Now it's just gone sideways and would have been better had he selected any of his kids other than John.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

That's part of the problem. No leadership, no accountability, equals what we are seeing.

Elway should have been canned after the VJ fiasco. Instead he goes unpunished, he hired arguably a worse coaching staff and continues to make garbage personnel decisions.

It's a joke and will continue this way until Elway is gone.

Reactions: sethro109

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The team is left to a trust of 3 people. I forget all of the members, but one of them is Joe Ellis. I don't think it's any secret he wants to own the team and he's terrible. He's the main reason we don't have Kyle Shanahan as a head coach. It's also been long suspected that he's blocked a lot of Elway's moves. He doesn't have the power to fire Elway either. It's all just terrible. Maybe Elway would be good with unrestricted full control, but we'll probably never know.

Edit: When Pat got alzheimer's he made the trust because he wanted his kids to earn the ownership. Now it's just gone sideways and would have been better had he selected any of his kids other than John.

I don’t buy that Elway has been held back with some decisions.

he SUCKS at scouting QB’s, he doesn’t understand today’s game with the guys he is targeting.

I swear the only thing he asks a potential QB is how strong is his arm.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I don’t buy that Elway has been held back with some decisions.

he SUCKS at scouting QB’s, he doesn’t understand today’s game with the guys he is targeting.

I swear the only thing he asks a potential QB is how strong is his arm.
There's no doubt that Elway sucks at evaluating QBs. Kyle Shanahan would have helped with drafting A LOT for this team. Unfortunately Ellis and Mike Shanahan have history and wouldn't allow his son to be hired. All of the Bronco's upper management is to blame for this team. The Broncos also have the smallest front offitin the league. They don't want to fire anyone, they don't want to hire anyone and it's costing the franchise. If Britney is able to gets control of this team, I hope she just cleans house and jettisons everyone.

Reactions: Breakers

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It starts at the top. The ownership situation is unstable and a turnoff to any talented coaches. Why take a job in Denver knowing that in 2-3 years you'll likely have a new GM and new ownership in place? that's not a situation an up and coming coach wants to be part of.

Rumors were that Elway wanted to rehire Mike Shanahan (not Kyle).....but Ellis nixed it.....Kyle had a pre-existing relationship with the 49ers owner so I don't buy that Kyle would have even come here if we had wanted him to....Kyle was also able to handpick his GM (John Lynch) which the Broncos probably would have not ceded that much control to Kyle....

I think a major problem right now is just no talent coming in the door. Hard to watch Herbert and Mahomes become the futures of their franchises while we continue to swing and miss.....even the picks outside of QB are not developing great....that starts at the top as well. How Matt Russell has retained his job as the head of player personnel through this (since 2012!)....I have no idea....There's just not a lot of accountability unless you are head coach and down.....no significant front office changes throughout all this.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
The NFL is such a garbage league run by the worst people so I barely care anymore. I guess it doesn’t help either that the Broncos are stuck in mediocrity with no way way out. The most depressing stat that illustrates that: record after 10 weeks that last 4 season 3-6

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Frikkin' Broncos! I'm still watching because I want to see some encouraging signs that even though they're still young, that they'll get there someday but man, this is tough to watch.

I could be wrong but to me, Drew Lock doesn't seem like 'the guy'. I think even if you let him develop, get better, improve and gain experience that he's just going to end up an Andy Dalton type of QB at best. If that's true then, you're just spinning your wheels and wasting time.

For sure, he would look a lot better with an improved O-Line but that's not the only reason for his bad decisions.

The coaching is really bad. I wouldn't even have Hamilton on the field at all and he's apparently Lock's favourite target? All I kept hearing at the draft is how Hamler's speed was a difference maker but do they even use him in correctly? I like what I've seen from him when he's been targeted but that seems to only be happening sparingly.

It's time for the Broncos to get what they can for their vets and players they aren't going to bring back - they are done. If they do it RIGHT, they finish 3-13 and get a good pick (even if they TRY their best - there's a good chance they don't win another game the rest of the season). They probably could have drafted Herbert last year if they didn't go and do something STUPID like win 4 of the last 5 games and still miss the playoffs by a wide margin.

Can you imagine if someone, anyone from this organization would have realized what they had in a player like Shaq Barrett (a guy they had for 4-5 years) instead of drafting Bradley Chubb, the Broncos took Josh Allen or Quenton Nelson??

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Can you imagine if someone, anyone from this organization would have realized what they had in a player like Shaq Barrett (a guy they had for 4-5 years) instead of drafting Bradley Chubb, the Broncos took Josh Allen or Quenton Nelson??

I go back to that offseason a lot as one of the worst, but I think we're in the minority. A lot of people like Chubb but wow I think the franchise would be in a totally different spot if they hadn't taken Chubb.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I have no idea if there is actually someone that can help us at pick 22. I just know we have had great luck with overseas scouting and developing. Especially with Serbian Centers.

images

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Josh Green or Jalen Smith would be perfect, I like the latter because of the goggles.

I'm a big Haliburton guy

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Can confirm every Sunday is hell for me.

Stakes don't feel as high for me these days. My two favorite teams won multiple championships, and my two favorite athletes of all time were responsible for them, I don't think it'll ever get better than that. Not saying this isn't tough to watch, and that Avs 2016-17 season will forever be a low point for me as a fan, but this doesn't feel nearly as painful as those Elway/Reeves years when they continually made it to the Super Bowl and just got stomped every goddamned time.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Stakes don't feel as high for me these days. My two favorite teams won multiple championships, and my two favorite athletes of all time were responsible for them, I don't think it'll ever get better than that. Not saying this isn't tough to watch, and that Avs 2016-17 season will forever be a low point for me as a fan, but this doesn't feel nearly as painful as those Elway/Reeves years when they continually made it to the Super Bowl and just got stomped every goddamned time.
I was a little too young for the Elway losses. The Back to back super bowls is what made me a fan though. I remember it was Cup, Lombardi, Lombardi, Cup when I was 8, 9, 10 and 11 years old. Been hooked on sports ever since. That loss to the Seahawks though........ I was fuming for weeks. We had the highest scoring offenses in NFL history that year with 606 regular season points and then we completely crapped the bed and let Manning down. Thank god for Von and the D in super bowl 50. The fact that we went through Brady to do it made it all the sweeter. The 16-17 Avs also left me incredibly pissed. I wanted a new everything from the ice crew to the owner. Obviously I'm now glad Sakic stuck around and has corrected the course. It's probably not healthy that I put so much stock into my local sports teams, but when they do win, man oh man does the victories taste sweet.

Reactions: Pokecheque

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Would have much preferred Terry over Nnaji but Nnaji's energy is something else. Tyler Bey is one of the rebounders I've seen at CU, Nnaji dominated him (and Battey) like they were nothing.

Totally forgot about him after he went overseas. Tim Connelly playing chess again. Kroenke's front office >>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad